Allow special characters to be used on naming

Characters like ''üéşçö'' for example, since they are technically looks like english characters it would make sense. For example Ö character looks like horned version of O character in game which is awesome. So what I'm asking is just using special characters that's it.

Edited by Darkneblade
  • Like 1

How about no.

Do you have any idea how annoying it is to try to send messages to someone with a Frankenname?  Special characters are pretty much the bane of naming in literally every MMO i have ever played.  SOOO glad I don't have to deal with that crap in CoH.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SurfD said:

How about no.

Do you have any idea how annoying it is to try to send messages to someone with a Frankenname?  Special characters are pretty much the bane of naming in literally every MMO i have ever played.  SOOO glad I don't have to deal with that crap in CoH.

How about pet names then?

I think I'll reluctantly support this.

I admit, If I wanted to create a Time Defender named "Mañana Man", i'd want the proper accent mark.  Because that's how it's spelled.

And really, there's plenty of names out there that cause me to sigh, using 4 for an A, or other 1337-speak-isms, or with a variety of *'s or X's, or other punctuation on either side of the name. 

I already have no chance to send a tell by just typing the name. I click them when they speak in chat and hten choose "Send Tell To". 

So really?  What difference do more accented characters really make.

• Like 1

How about Morse code, Braile, Hieroglyphs, and Cuneiform?  You know, the non-normal format on you keyboard.  Yeah, the characters do exist but not commonly used.  Suggestion would open up more names, but cause more trouble just typing.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

I've had the wish once or twice (wanted an ancient Roman (ie Latin) name) but I've come to realize it would make sending messages/invites *really* difficult if the person wasn't standing right next to you.

What this team needs is more Defenders

12 hours ago, TraumaTrain said:

My dude Touché would like to be named Touché and not Touche'.

thanks for the suggestions... now to see if my name is still available (and decide what to roll for it

What this team needs is more Defenders

On 4/30/2020 at 11:15 AM, srmalloy said:

It would be interesting to see people dealing with names like 'Лучевой Мираж', 'Стальная Дева', 'Лучник', or 'Разрастание' -- all characters in my roster...

If you can't be arsed to put your character's name in a legible format, don't be surprised when people can't be arsed to team with said character.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Black Zot said:

If you can't be arsed to put your character's name in a legible format, don't be surprised when people can't be arsed to team with said character.

Those are perfectly legible. Just not English. That's "Ray Mirage," "Steel Virgo, " "Archer" and "Sprawl," according to Google Translate... just in Russian.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

5 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Those are perfectly legible. Just not English. That's "Ray Mirage," "Steel Virgo, " "Archer" and "Sprawl," according to Google Translate... just in Russian.

"Russia though is quite - it felt like that.  It felt like you're not meant to be happy.  Maybe you should bog-standard Russian?  Everything's quite hard.  Signs - the text on buildings.  I've never been a lover of font.  I think there's too many fonts.  But after being over there, they've got like one and it's in capitals always yelling at you, even if it's something nice.  KITTENS FOR SALE!!!

~ Karl Pilkington

• Like 1

I could see this happening, but only if there's a behind-the-scenes system that translates the name into only standard characters. So, for example, if you name a character "Señor Bob," it's equivalent to Senor Bob. People can invite that character or chat with them by typing "Senor Bob," that's how it's stored in the database, and if Senor Bob already exists you can't make Señor Bob. But the displayed name in the game will always be Señor Bob if that's what you named them. I suggested this back in the beforetimes.

• Like 4

This would be something that likely requires a localization effort to occur first like on live(?). Even then, as mentioned above, it depends on the variable type and limitations of the underlining programming language(s) used. I'm pretty sure it's all sitting on top of C/C++ and that likely has character limitations or unforeseen side effects when using special characters. Namely, character name length restrictions. My half charged brain seems to remember that special characters would end up using something like 4:1 characters in the name, making it easier to hit the length limitation that I'm sure exists. I know that I get copy/pasting errors when creating my Bio's because I use various non-English words/names in my characters. What I've done instead is to "latinize" the words into something the system can handle. So if I'm using Cyrillic based letters, then I translate that into something more game friendly.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

私の名前はくどうしにちです

はじめまして!よろしくおねがいします!

That's why I have to no vote this. Sounds fun, but it would be impossible to invite me to teams, respond to me, or even know what my name is, in most cases

もしわけございません。

Very sorry, I must vote no.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

私の名前はくどうしにちです

はじめまして!よろしくおねがいします!

That's why I have to no vote this. Sounds fun, but it would be impossible to invite me to teams, respond to me, or even know what my name is, in most cases

もしわけございません。

Very sorry, I must vote no.

Now we’re two.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

On 5/1/2020 at 10:55 AM, Greycat said:

"Radiation Illusion", "Steel Maiden", "Archer" (that one was basic, an Archery/TA Blaster), and "Overgrowth", actually. Others I have would be, in Cyrillic, Теневой Огонь ('Shadow Fire'), Обморожение ('Frostbite'), Умственный Улан ('Mental Lancer'), Дева Молния ('Lightning Girl'), Влияние Кинетика ('Kinetic Impact'), Удар Молний ('Lightning Strike'), Ядерная Тень ('Nuclear Shadow'), Черная Молния ('Black Lightning'), Темный Знатокъ ('Dark Adept'), Лезвия Разума ('Mindblade'), Термоядерный ('Thermonuclear'), Буревестник ('Storm Petrel'), Ядерная Зима ('Nuclear Winter'), and Голубая Молния ('Blue Lightning'). As much entertainment as I'd get by watching people try to refer to them in chat, the transliterations 'Tenevoy Ogon', 'Obmorozheniye', 'Umstvenniy Ulan', 'Deva Molniya', etc. make communication much easier, even if the meaning of the name is opaque to them.

Allowing special characters in names might have made sense when the game was being regionalized for the "City of Hero" release in Korea (and despite the Unicode support in chat, it was never enabled for names), but I don't see that making things more difficult for other players to enter names is worth the increase in name variety.

12 hours ago, srmalloy said:

"Radiation Illusion", "Steel Maiden", "Archer" (that one was basic, an Archery/TA Blaster), and "Overgrowth", actually.

I *did* say "According to google translate." 🙂

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 10:17 PM, Fortuneteller said:

Amusing, but I don't think that matches the Teen rating we're supposed to keep here. :/

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 5/8/2020 at 3:04 PM, WanderingAries said:

Amusing, but I don't think that matches the Teen rating we're supposed to keep here. 😕

If you wanna be a stuck in the mud that's fine, but i'd suggest you look at what the Teen Rating actually allows for. "may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language."

It was just a harmless meme joke, not directed at anyone specifically. Reference to an classic movie quote. Get some chill.