"95% accuracy against +3s is all you need"

nihilii

I'm someone who likes building for accuracy/tohit. To the point my builds prompt comments I'm way overslotted for it. 95% against +3s? Set up with 48 base tohit in Mids, the numbers I tend to see are more often closer to 200% than 100%.

But OK, perhaps I'm doing this wrong. With a recent interest in proc monster builds, which involves breaking sets in tiny pieces and having less % enhancement in some powers, I found myself barely shooting for that 95% mark instead.

This is fine. In theory.

Once ingame? First LRSF mission, Crimson, Deflected Deflected Deflected. Longbow Ballistas, Deflected Deflected. Slinger? Deflected. Citadel, Positron, more Deflected.

There's just so many enemies with defense powers in the game. They tend to be the tougher ones, too. Shooting for 95% just doesn't seem to cut it for me.

But I'm interested in hearing from the people who DO advocate "not overslotting for accuracy", in understanding where you're coming from.

Are you more often on a team, where tohitbuffs or defense debuffs are likely to be around?

Do you feel fine cruising on just Aim/BU?

Do you just count the occasional whiff as cost of doing business?

34 minutes ago, nihilii said:

I like slightly more than 95%, but on most characters I'm fine with it, because even soloing a lot will have access to Aim, BU, some -Defense power, etc. There are always Accuracy inspirations. Being under 95% against mobs with Defense is inefficient, but being over 95% against mobs without Defense is also inefficient. So it's a bit of a trade-off.

In general, unless the character has no way of getting occasional bursts of greater accuracy or debuffing Defense, I'm fine with 95% and depending on temporary measures for dealing with temporary Defense mobs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nihilii said:

Are you more often on a team, where tohitbuffs or defense debuffs are likely to be around?

I build to the intended goal of the character.  If I'm planning on soloing endgame TFs, I'll make sure to overslot accuracy, if I don't have other tools to address it.  Same with other considerations you need for endgame soloing (-regen for AVs, high defensive numbers, escapes).

But for general characters, I'm usually in teams (pick up or otherwise) for the kinds of situations you mentioned (LRSF for example).  And in said circumstances, its highly likely you'll have sufficient stacking Tactics or defense debuffs to counter most enemy defenses.  And if you don't, then a yellow insp or two will get you through the fight.  I usually aim for a bit over 95% against +3s if I can and even running on random teams I've never felt the frustration you're describing.  Maybe you just got really unlucky with your LRSF run?

Regarding the aim/buildup question, the only character I factor it in for is my Stalker due to the refresh proc.  With the refresh proc, Gaussians in BU and Decimation in Zapp, I have a lot of buff up time that makes overslotting even more of a waste.  

• Like 1

I just slot IO sets.  And I trust that the IO set will have sufficient +Acc amongst the varied pieces of that set, or if not, that somewhere among my set bonuses, I will probably have a few "+% Acc To All Poweres" bonuses.

But I am a serious, serious, set bonus fiend.

EDIT:  my Mind / Kin controller did take Nerve alpha however, for the triad of +Acc / +Hold / +Confuse.  And I don't regret that one bit.  He basically never misses, ever, when on 45+ content.  The +Hold and +Confuse made it easy to justify on Mind Controller, but he can never really afford to miss with any of his powers. 

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 3

Mainly I would follow the 95% mark at +3 for toons that I would mainly play on teams.  Then there are likely to be enough buffs and debuffs to not have to worry about higher defense on certain mobs.  Most builds outside of proc monsters are well beyond that point so it is almost never something I really build for.  

In rare cases when more accuracy is needed I keep a yellow or 2 handy.

• Like 2

I build for 95%+ final tohit vs +4s.  Even though you are +3 once you have Alpha tiered up, there exists levels below 45, and I want the +4 challenge level as far down as I can take it.

I also tend to love Focused Accuracy, though lots of folks poo-poo it, for the ToHit Debuff Resistance and Perception Debuff Resistance and +Perception.

I can't stand missing.  It makes me nuts.  Most of the time when I respond to build review requests, accuracy is the first thing I pick nits over.

• Like 1

I always look for 1.60 or greater in any attack.  Many favorite sets don't get there; my typical slotting for a single target melee attack is four Kinetic Combat and one Accuracy, or a random-set Acc/Dam, because KC alone only gets you to around 1.40 something. 

Missing means wasting endurance.  Endurance efficiency is a prime consideration for any character of mine. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Yet again I read a number on here which completely confuses me....

2 hours ago, Heraclea said:

I always look for 1.60 or greater in any attack.  

If someone wouldn't mind explaining this one to me.

One think about it, I learn a lot reading this forum. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuperPlyx said:

If someone wouldn't mind explaining this one to me.

I assume she meant getting at least 60% or more accuracy enhancement value slotted per power?

That's enough, by itself, to get you to 90% against +2s.

Edited by Caulderone

1 hour ago, Caulderone said:

I assume she meant getting at least 60% or more accuracy enhancement value slotted per power?

That's enough, by itself, to get you to 90% against +2s.

I am looking at the number you get when you mouse over a power and get the value your enhancements are giving.  Just as a for instance, on the character I am on now, Maiming Slash is slotted with 4 Kinetic Combats and a level 50 Accuracy IO.  The baseline accuracy is 1.00; with those enhancements it's 1.65. 

On some characters - say, a Dual Blades attack set - I will want more accuracy still. 

• Thanks 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Ah ha, I see now the accuracy numbers she is quoting are in game. I was looking for them in Mid's. 

Tbh, I have been slack on checking accuracy  on some of my toons. After checking my blaster snipe is slotted with Sting of the Manticore and that only gives it a 54.3% increase. That's not good for a Snipe power. Time to do some adjusting.

If choosing between a slotting a proc and having an 80% chance to hit level 54s or slotting more accuracy and being at 95% versus 54s, I'll take accuracy every time.   The proc may be better for a pylon time and a speed ITF where your target is level 50.   However, personally, I choose to maximize usefulness in hard fights over speed in easy fights.  

• Like 3

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Yep, circle of thorns are notorious as well, ton of -tohit debuffs and then those demons that turn on invincibility. 

Don't forget focused accuracy (or targetting drone) from your epic.  I tend to almost always end up grabbing them on any character I can.  More for that very hard to come by tohit debuff resistance but the bit of accuracy and tohit buff is nice too.

Always the kismet +6 tohit as well, one of the best uses of 1 slot.

• Like 1

My Mid's is set to base 39, if I don't see a 95% or greater on an attack, it isn't good enough! I've put up plenty of builds, and in general try and stick to a fundamental rule of "+4 or nothing" but sometimes certain circumstances have dictated passing at +3 with Incarnate shift or good teaming, or a slew of debuffs to accommodate. For the stuff I personally play, it's pretty much always +4 values so that I can safely exemp to any comfort zone, and know that in Incarnate content if I get hit with any kind of debuff or the target is better built defensively I have leeway.

Even in the realm of heavy proc building, getting that +4 is still more than feasible whether through a bit of boosting, grabbing Tactics or Focused Accuracy, what have you, there are options. The whole "+3 cause of Incarnate shift" doesn't really sit well in my mind, it doesn't take much of an exemplar to loose the shift, and also still be capable of playing content at +4. I find in a lot of cases that I'm still never just "95" but "96.#" or "99" "100.3", there's always some small extra push, and even just one tiny 9% accuracy bonus suddenly pushes everything in the build a couple points.

• Like 2

I sort of go for +4 rather than +3, and often set bonuses will work well on giving extra accuracy, if you’re lucky. Also I like making sure the accuracy will transfer to lower levels.

I like procs but I don’t like to go over the top with them. I will use 1-2 damage procs per power and use sets to give them some respectable raw damage. It’s not just accuracy, but base damage, endurance and recharge and of course, set bonuses. Sometimes you have to sacrifice some damage in order to build a well rounded character, and in okay with that.

The only time I add more than 2 procs is when the 3rd proc also counts as part of a 4-piece set. 

Also -def powers are useful in the situation of +def mobs. So it depends what sets your playing. Earth Control, Freezing Rain/Sleet, Rad Infection, all great for debuffing defence a lot and no to-hit check. My Defender’s Rad Infection does something like -50% defence, which is usually overkill! 

• Like 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

It's a bit of a tangent but I feel the best approach with procs is to target them where they have the most impact. If a power doesn't proc well or only has one or two available I switch focus and use it for good set bonuses. If a power takes a load of procs however I do everything I can to maximise the number in it, even slotting nothing but procs. That does mean getting global to hit and accuracy high enough that a power without any accuracy in it can hit +4s. This can be done with well slotted tactics, the kismet unique, and at least a couple of purple 15% acc bonuses and normal 9% ones.

Accuracy is of course not the only concern and you soon come to appreciate the end reduction that sets give you when you regularly use a power with only procs in it...

Building like this has seeped back into my more normal set based builds though. I'm using the kismet unique as a matter of course and taking tactics more often. In general I try to get at least 95% against +4s where I can.

• Like 1

I go with +3 as well. I'm more and more pretty disgusted with the 5% chance of failure when I see it happen three times in a row so at some point I'm just well #$& it. Aim for +3 or aim for +4 I still get deflects and misses. So wasting stats in more accuracy is just meh.

• Like 1

Try tackling the problem from both sides.  Your accuracy is one part of the roll; the mobs defense is the other.  If you find you're constantly getting deflected by tougher mobs such as H/AVs, it's a good chance you need to add some defense debuff into the mix.  Most builds that have lethal dmg have defense debuffs, along with Rads, and generally speaking most support classes will at least have a single target defense debuff.

I . . . don't think about accuracy much. Just go after what I'm aiming for in the build: permadom, high recharge, softcapped defenses, high resists, etc.

The accuracy for the IO Sets that go towards that work out on their own.

Also stick in one or two purple sets and good enough. Especially with the to hit buffs flying around on most teams nowadays.

• Like 2

I never bother checking ACC in my builds. I use sets for the set bonuses to achieve a goal (frequently soft capped S/L DEF or max RES to 3+ damage types), and in doing so none of my characters have trouble hitting purple con enemies (+4 or higher in the case of AVs/GMs).

• Like 1

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

4 hours ago, suitepotato said:

Try tackling the problem from both sides.  Your accuracy is one part of the roll; the mobs defense is the other.  If you find you're constantly getting deflected by tougher mobs such as H/AVs, it's a good chance you need to add some defense debuff into the mix.  Most builds that have lethal dmg have defense debuffs, along with Rads, and generally speaking most support classes will at least have a single target defense debuff.

My Defender brings fully slotted Tactics to a team, which is about +20% to-hit.
My Earth Controller also puts -20% defence on mobs with every application of an earth power. 
Thing is, even when you’re doing this sort of thing really well, no one really notices 😜

It would be great if support ATs could raise people’s accuracy up to 100% with extreme buffs/debuffs.

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

I've never really looked to specifically slot accuracy in my powers except when I'm level 22 and slotting generic IOs in my powers, I will put one in my hit check powers. That being said, once I get up in levels 40+ I will transition to my end game IO build and just have sets everywhere. Typically every set has 2 or 3 accuracy parts in them which make it out to 90-100%,, this along with +acc set bonuses usually puts me in a good spot.

Edited by Seigmoraig
  • Like 1