Remember when...

TheOtherTed

On 7/14/2020 at 12:30 PM, wolfshadow31 said:

I remember taking hover specifically for the hollows missions, and 3 slotting it with flight speed enhancements. It was faster than sprint! 😀

Sprint nothing. In the old days it was almost faster than *fly*.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2021 at 5:07 PM, srmalloy said:

the devs admit that their internal test server was bugged, and didn't have the 'purple patch', so their test scrapper was hitting several times as often for several times the damage he should have, and likewise wasn't being hit as often or for as much damage -- but the nerf to Regen was necessary, and would stay in the game.

I seem to recall several similar decisions in the early game that turned out to be based on false assumptions, then were doubled down upon.

In many ways, this game was ahead of its time.

Loving the new version to a much greater degree: Critical thinking FTW!

• Like 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 1/20/2021 at 9:25 PM, srmalloy said:

Or the cape unlock, where you got to run all over hell's half acre to talk to various people -- the police officer in south Skyway, someone in the ass end of northwestern IP, etc.

I  recall that there was one, but can't recall the specifics.  Level 20?  what you had to do.  Was that issue 4?

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

Yep, level 20.  Blueside, you'd kick it off by talking to the City Representative in City Hall (Atlas Park).  Redside, I think you could tag either of the starting contacts in Mercy Island, but not sure.

No idea what issue it was.  I started playing in Issue 6, and to my knowledge, the mission was already in place.

I'm pretty sure stone controllers had a different looking pet and it was changed many moons ago. I wish they would have added it back once power customization was added. 

Getting your Aura at lvl30 felt like your hero was a keeper. I always knew I would make it 50 once I got it. 

Def used to suck the amount of SR and ice armour toons once they actually made it good. 

Remember when CoV launched and we were told Masterminds were supposed to tank? I remember a lot of people being upset about that, then Brutes got a huge buff to their survivability, making them solo monsters.

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

11 hours ago, Leetdeth said:

Remember when CoV launched and we were told Masterminds were supposed to tank?

On Homecoming, one of my MMs is still the only character I've been able to do Lady Grey's mission solo in Mender Ramiel's incarnate Alpha slot unlock arc.

On 1/15/2021 at 12:58 PM, Azari said:

When people used to hang out and have costume contests in PARAGON DANCE PARTY

...when characters actual hung out and danced in the Pocket D (I think that was mostly on Virtue though)

...when a bunch of my amphibious characters were stuck in the ice in the lake in Atlas Park because the lake froze over when the first Winter Event was released....

• Haha 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Joined EU launch. My computer was so slow people used to think I had DC'd. I managed to find a great group of friends though that would actually wait for me which was awesome. 

I remember getting to lvl22 for the first time getting SOs in IP and my friend jumped on his MA/Regen and Solo'd lusca. My next character was Katana/regen 😂

I also remember wen fire/SS tanks were Kings!

• Like 3

Remember when, some irate player posted an F-bomb laden post and one of the Mods edited them out of the post, then said poster sent an F-bomb laden PM to the Mod demanding that their post be returned to its original form, so said Mod did then using the vBulliten auto-filter tools to swap every F-bomb in the forums to the word 'pancake'. Only vBulliten being a rather stupid tool at times, changed every letter in the word to 'pancake' so that 'pancakepancakepancakepancake' started appearing in posts.

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Like 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Original tank taunt sound... AaaaaAAAAaaahh

Multiple pets... 3 singies at once....

Nuke killed you...

Taxibots...

PI farmtown...

Dreck...

DEBT!

Vahzilok wasting disease... OG version!

Galaxy vs Atlas!

Minus 75%Acc when moving and attacking.. F@ck you, travel suppression!

Tic-Toc.... kruunch and the tank forums... We had to play test our builds!

3 respecs only! Get your ass to the reactor!

Lusca is up in IP! *Everyone comes running*

Kill XX in OG fault line?! Nope! Mission never gets done..

Enhancement vendors don't show on the minimap?! Goddamn it, I have to remember where the store is? Guess every toon is mutant then...

Ding! 20, cape mission!

"Plzz can I haz SB? Need to get to PI for PL!"

Psst: can you be a filler for 1 mill inf?

Target through the tank!

A sword in each hand! Read all about it!

M......O........GGGGGGGG!!!!1111!!   I win.

"Regen will receive a slight adjustment..."

"Hi, my name is Jack, and I have a vision..." 

Anyone up for a nice Cuppajo?

I could go on, but there's a few.

Edited by SwitchFade
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

Original tank taunt sound... AaaaaAAAAaaahh

Multiple pets... 3 singies at once....

Nuke killed you...

Taxibots...

PI farmtown...

Dreck...

DEBT!

Vahzilok wasting disease... OG version!

Galaxy vs Atlas!

Minus 75%Acc when moving and attacking.. F@ck you, travel suppression!

Tic-Toc.... kruunch and the tank forums... We had to play test our builds!

3 respecs only! Get your ass to the reactor!

Lusca is up in IP! *Everyone comes running*

Kill XX in OG fault line?! Nope! Mission never gets done..

Enhancement vendors don't show on the minimap?! Goddamn it, I have to remember where the store is? Guess every toon is mutant then...

Ding! 20, cape mission!

"Plzz can I haz SB? Need to get to PI for PL!"

Psst: can you be a filler for 1 mill inf?

Target through the tank!

A sword in each hand! Read all about it!

M......O........GGGGGGGG!!!!1111!!   I win.

"Regen will receive a slight adjustment..."

"Hi, my name is Jack, and I have a vision..." 

Anyone up for a nice Cuppajo?

I could go on, but there's a few.

I could've swore the OG taunt sound was "HOOOOAH" then fist smash, fist smash. 

Great reminder on nukes, they were like the "oh I'm definitely dying to this mob, but I'm taking them with me" power back in the day.

Remembering where the vendors were was actually a nice touch to keep the origin of your character relevant, IMO. Like it was only known to you who the hook up was. 

Target through tank 🤪 lol

The Jack quote was 🔥

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Sorry, crashing, can't read whole thread, but remember when a certain nerfbat-slinging Dev spent a whole cross-country plane flight playing some handheld game, finally beat a level, then decided we all needed to share in his joy?

(Dons aviator shades) Thanks, but no thanks, Jack!

Edited by DoctorDitko
fix misspelling of "plane" as "pain" maybe shouldn't have bothered.
  • Haha 4

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

15 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Sorry, crashing, can't read whole thread, but remember when a certain nerfbat-slinging Dev spent a whole cross-country plane flight playing some handheld game, finally beat a level, then decided we all needed to share in his joy?

(Dons aviator shades) Thanks, but no thanks, Jack!

I was  . . . very happy when that certain Dev was no longer with the game for various reasons accumulated over the years he was there. Will be forever grateful he helped get the game out of beta  . . . just as I will be that he left the project well before he could do any further damage to what he created.

Edited by golstat2003
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, WillowManson said:

Those were the days when the game first came out. Full groups of 8 left and right running down the streets defeating every bad guy in their path........

Missed that, but got a taste when my all Earth/x SG with several Stormies (kitted out with the 'new' Explosive Strike proc).  Multiple Gales sending Skulls and Hellions flying.

On 7/14/2020 at 6:50 AM, TheOtherTed said:

...Fulcrum Shift sounded like the fury of the Gods and not the twinkling of fairies?  A sound so powerful it could reach into this world and crash computers...

Has there been any mod issued to restore that "fury" sound?  I don't recall it myself, but fulcrum shift should be an important tactic, so it should have an important sound.  My buddy and I used to refer to it as the "I WIN" button, but I think they gutted the full strength of the power since we played in the original game.

12 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

I miss the insane version of Lightning Storm back when recharge used to carry over to pets. It was glorious.  

Related note, I miss when Poison Trap could do nuke-like damage via procs. It was something like 1 trap would spawn more traps (1 per originally affected mob?), each with a chance for damage procs to go off. 

I also have fond memories of the devs believing they had made a single target, tactical game while the playerbase believed the game was an AoE-fuelled zergfest. A lot of nutty conversations came out of these two radically different viewpoints. 

I also really liked how accessible the devs were. Jack may have been a tool, but he actually got back to a couple of my DMs about FF. In the history of MMOs, that kind of access has been very, very rare.

On 1/21/2021 at 1:16 PM, JasonZZ said:

Sprint nothing. In the old days it was almost faster than *fly*.

6 slotted hover (before ED) was amazing. Faster than fly, a bit of defense thrown in but with none of the minuses of fly (I think to accuracy...). Only downside was 5 wasted slots.

• Like 2

• 1 year later