Do you discord during TFs?

Lunchmoney

Last TF I was on I was the only one talking. I kept asking why everyone was so silent and why I appeared to be the only person to not know what the plan was on each mission (kill all, stealth it, etc), finally in the second to last mission, someone posted a discord link. It was in the last mission someone finally noticed that I had responded to it asking why they'd posted that (I was told everyone uses discord to chat, which is self evidently not true), and that due to playing with the sound off (sleeping baby in the house), and not having a mic, there was no way I was able to use discord voice chat.

I then got lambasted for not joining in the team tactics (cos I had no idea what everyone was doing until they were doing it), and also told that no one types as it's too slow (again self evidently not true as I type really quickly during missions 🙂 )

I know discord is popular, but in this instance I wasn't aware it was being used and I would probably have given up my spot to someone who could have joined in the chat. (The team leader did apologise after the TF, he assumed I knew, even though I'd never seen a message saying anything about it when forming the TF.) 

Anyways... Do you use voice chat in your teams? If so, do you notice when a member of your team isn't? 

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

Hi, I now use Discord a lot ingame and every time I do itrials or Mo non itrial Tf’s

But, I only ever listen, so join the relevant discord channel then join the voice team but keep mic muted.

Actually I don’t even have a mic to use.

This way I hear all the directions and banter needed.

In fact I see the usual players using voice, probably about 10% of those in the league and all the rest in but muted. You can see the muted icon next to player name.

No stress, no noise and I use one of the earphones only and have the other ear for “real life” sounds.

A number of the leaders doing Mo’s and itrials actually suggest joining as a non talking listner.

The leaders know you are listening and will occassionally ask for help by player name so I just jump to it.

I also type in chat as and when.

Try it, it is fine.

If I am going to VOIP, it's definitely not going to be on discord.  Their terms of use are facebook-levels of overreach.

I know people tend to prefer convenience, though, so discord currently has the crown.  I strongly encourage folks to examine alternatives, such as Tox, Riot, and Teamspeak*

* Note:  Since Teamspeak is just the software itself, you need to take time to consider which server you are connecting to, as they might have their own terms of use.  However, since Teamspeak also allows you to just make your own server with your own settings, I find it's the superior option.  But, again, convenience wins out, and most people don't want to make their own server.  It makes me sad.

I would certainly appreciate it immensely if the Homecoming Team took the time to leverage their existing server infrastructure and established a non-third-party chat/VOIP community.

The only time I use Discord is for team PVP. For PVE missions, hard no.

Assuming that other people are on Discord for PVE content is a bad mistake. If you want only Discord users in your group, make that clear when you advertise.

On Everlasting, Hamidon raids use the Request channel to give instructions to the league. That works well and doesn't make any assumptions about what tech people are using.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bastille Boy said:

That works well and doesn't make any assumptions about what tech people are using.

This, I think, is the crux of it. An assumption was made that I was using software/service that is outside of the game. 

From the replies, I'm happy to know I'm not alone in wanting to stick to in game chat. 👍

• Like 2

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

My computer (a toaster) and Discord do not get along.   I have Discord on my phone so i can read it (and the forums) on smoke breaks or at work or whatever.  I have never used voice chat on Discord.

WAY back on live, when I was still married, hubby and I would use skype with an SG mate (or maybe 2) very occassionally, not a normal thing.

If i get on a team that is too quiet, i usually don't stay more than a mission or two, because I believe in entertainment!  LOL 

If I were to try to join an iTrial or something I might try to figure out how to listen to Discord while muted, if they use Discord.  I'm not certain who is currently running iTrials on Indom and if they even use voice or not.

I have not yet gotten into PvP but my understanding is that they require Discord, so maybe I will never get into it.  I'm not entirely sure how discord on my phone would work on voice chat since I would most definitely want to be muted before ya'll start making fun of my accent cuz you can't understand a word I say 😛 (that's next level PvP right there!)

Edit to add: Sometimes if my son and I are playing we will voice chat on this fancy new thing called a phone call.  Normally we just duo so it can't bother other people.  If I have game friends (or randoms) on a team I try to engage in some dazzling repartee via text chat in team window.

Edited by EmmySky

I've seen one group that "required" Discord for their itrial runs. I don't run with them at this point for various reasons. That was ... symptomatic.

I haven't seen anyone else "require" Discord. Even the SGs I'm in, they may *have* it, but it's usually to BS back and forth, and that's usually text, too.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I have never used discord and never will. I have only ever been on one team where discord was even mentioned as an option.  The leader said something along the the lines of:

“We are on discord if you want to join, but don’t have to.”  

Even then the leader and others typed in chat the entire time. I’ve never been on a task force or trial where pertinent information was not shared via typing. 

Personally, I would quit a team that “requires” discord and put the leader on global ignore. Not everyone can do voice chat.  I’m all for people being allowed to do what they want on their own teams, but I also reserve the right to not want to deal with such teams. 

Edited by Saikochoro

I'm not attacking you, Saikochoro, nor anyone else that dislikes VOIP, but I've never understood the hatred that some people have for voice coms.

Can someone explain to me why the dislike for voice communication with your teammates in videogames?

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

It’s not hatred. Just a matter of avoiding a type of team I have no desire joining.  If a team leader goes so far as to require discord, then they will likely do that often. Putting them on global ignore, then facilitates in removing them from possible teams to join. 

As far as voice chat, some people just cannot do that for various reasons. So there is no problem with them ignoring team leaders who require it.  Like I said, I’m all for people having the freedom to team how they like, including requiring discord. However, that also comes with the freedom of people to ignore such teams. 

I would also put people who go in and investigate slotting and power choices or go so far as to require set IOs on global ignore also. I personally have 500m influence builds on most of my toons, but I don’t want to deal with that type of high maintenance, micro managing team leader. 

Player preference isn’t matter of hatred. It’s honestly just a matter of focusing my play time on teams that I would enjoy. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It use to be pretty mandatory in other games but with as casual as coh/cov is i can't seem to find the need for discord.  Even pugging hardcore  night ward stuff people listen and react pretty easily to simple commands like where to fight and go. I can't find a real reason to go all hardcore and discord up even after just buying a new mic to replace the old 1... have yet to plug it in for coh/cov when you can basically solo the majority of the game where is that next lvl organization really required?

Edited by Onemantankwall
typos

I didnt' even know what Discord *was* when I joined City of Heroes.

But I was in Ventrilo pretty much every night when I still played WoW.  Either for guild raiding, or just to yap with friends on non-raid-nights. 

Voice chat can be fun.  Much more like a conversation, I don't have to watch a chat log, I don't have to even dedicate much screen space to chat log. 

And for raiding, Warcraft has Extremely Unforgiving raid mechanics once you get into Progression Raids, and it was .... well, I honesly cannot think of how we could have ever pulled out some of those wins with the requires coordination if everyone had to pause and type and read.  Compare to just calling out certain phases, adds, or the occasional "Debuff is on Bag, Bag, get out melee!".  It was hard enough getting people to react to voice instructions when they were focused on maximal DPS output. They'd NEVER have read chat and reacted in time. 

I guess I don't Discord in CoH because I'm leery of having a "regular" group who I always play with, or certain days of the week I always play on certain hours.  I've had games (cough WoW cough) turn into Full Time Jobs because of that.  I'm kind of keeping everyone else at arms length, socialable and friendly, but no long-term-alliances.  It's more of a me issue than a discord issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Can someone explain to me why the dislike for voice communication with your teammates in videogames?

Sometimes I'm hungover and the extra voices in my head add to the pain and/or distraction. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to listen to other people while playing. Sometimes I do feel social and want to join in on the banter.

But specifically game related? There's very little in this game that can't be solved with a line or two of text to get everyone on the same page.

Has happened to me a few times, even back on Live with Teamspeak, but very rare.  Yep, not a big fan of voice chat generally.  I find it awkward and annoying to use (maybe it is the introvert in me), and I play in an environment where I can't be yelling into my computer usually anyway.  I typically play with the sound turned pretty low. 

I can see were it can be a good tool to communicate for certain teams. I have also seen it be a total chat s**t show of pointless banter. I use it with friends, and if I use it for a team or league, I'm mostly just listening.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)