The game is getting better

Diantane

I had INF problems in the past as stated in It doesn't "pay" to play a support character  . But the issues are still there if all you do is play the game (not sitting in at the Auction).

For the last few weeks I've been running teams pretty extensively. Two days ago, the team went for 8.5 hours. Yesterday was 5.5. Starting a new team in a few minutes. The INF coming is getting better, but after last night's session I only brought in about a half million at levels 23 to 28. Spent that creating just 6 IO's @ L30.  As I said before, the rewards are not all that great, but I'll keep at it as I have faith in all that everyone has taught me. Plus playing this game is a whole lot of FUN!

Another thing, I don't use XP Boosters. Leveling quickly isn't nearly as fun as playing the game. On LOTRO I wore a device that stopped all incoming XP so I wouldn't level past the content in each area.  I want to experience that game fully. I used to see some pretty amazing content in COH LIVE back in the day. Since I'm only 28, seeing that again will have to wait, but I'm in it to the end.

• Like 11

There are so many subtle details in this game that are just amazing. For instance, the sound of running on grass, wood and concrete are all different and correct. Such a small thing, but adds to the game IMHO. I have absolutely nothing against AE babies, as I believe everyone has the right to play the way they want, but so much lore and other things are missed when hurrying to 50 is the only goal. A lot of folks aren't interested in that and just want to speed to being godlike. For me, the journey should be as much fun as the destination. I'm with you, Diantane!

• Like 2
y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

I still say you'd be rolling in the INF if you used the auction house more. 

But, I can respect either just that that's not your cup of tea, and/or that maybe for your first character you're doing a kind of "Live Off the Land" until 50, or something.

Either way, glad to see you getting some IO's in place.  Even if they're just basic IO's, the fact that they'll NEVER wear out on you means each one slotted is one less slot you have deal with in the future (at least, until you're ready to start doing sets....)

46 minutes ago, Diantane said:

I had INF problems in the past as stated in It doesn't "pay" to play a support character  . But the issues are still there if all you do is play the game (not sitting in at the Auction).

For the last few weeks I've been running teams pretty extensively. Two days ago, the team went for 8.5 hours. Yesterday was 5.5. Starting a new team in a few minutes. The INF coming is getting better, but after last night's session I only brought in about a half million at levels 23 to 28. Spent that creating just 6 IO's @ L30.  As I said before, the rewards are not all that great, but I'll keep at it as I have faith in all that everyone has taught me. Plus playing this game is a whole lot of FUN!

Another thing, I don't use XP Boosters. Leveling quickly isn't nearly as fun as playing the game. On LOTRO I wore a device that stopped all incoming XP so I wouldn't level past the content in each area.  I want to experience that game fully. I used to see some pretty amazing content in COH LIVE back in the day. Since I'm only 28, seeing that again will have to wait, but I'm in it to the end.

You didn't read the link in my signature, did you? Where I posted the first TF that takes about 30-40 minutes you can do starting at level 8 rewards you with nearly three million? You should probably buy the stuff from the /ah too since there is a good chance it is much cheaper.

Edited by Sovera

Here's what I did when I first came back.   Once I hit 50, and had pretty much just normal IOs, no sets yet, I turned off XP-granted this was when turning off xp gave you more inf though, and just played my head off for 2 weeks, building up a nice war chest.  Then go from there. 

You honestly don’t need to use the auction house hardly at all to make decent influence. It seems that you are able to have a pretty decent amount of time available to play the game. It also appears that you enjoy teaming. 

I would suggest that you start running some task forces. It is pretty easy to accumulate ~100 merits per week running task forces. Especially if you run the weekly strike targets. Take those merits and turn them into converters at a merit vendor. Then sell the converters on the auction house. Converters are in such demand that you could even list them for 1 influence each and still get a good price for them. This would only require a couple minutes at most on the auction house. Literally just listing the converters and then collecting the influence. 

100 merits will get roughly 16 million influence (accounting for fees) on a somewhat conservative price estimate of 60k per converter.  And it would be super easy given that you seem to enjoy teams and also seem to have a decent block of time to play. 

Some activities such as the Hamidon raid will reward 80 merits with a single defeat that takes 30 ish minutes between forming the raid and doing the monster hunt.  That’s just one event and bam 80 merits. The imperious task force (ITF) is run all the time and takes 30 minutes give or take a few and rewards 26 merits. It is always easy to find an ITF team. If the task force happens to be the weekly strike target you get double merits. 

I once accumulated 400 merits in one play session without a whole lot of planning. It just joined whenever people advertised various task forces, which happened to be weekly strike targets + some raid runs. Those 400 merits = ~ 64m influence. Granted you often won’t get that many in one play session, but they can accumulate really quick throughout the week. 

Edited by Saikochoro

Sorry for the silly question here, I'm a European, I guess this is a NA server? If so any EU players that can tell their ingame ping/ms? Also, is it worthed for me to start playing now? I only played CoH when it came out for only 3 days so I know nothing about the game, is it a helpful community or won't I reach anything/anywhere?

Just now, BigLeBluffski said:

Sorry for the silly question here, I'm a European, I guess this is a NA server? If so any EU players that can tell their ingame ping/ms? Also, is it worthed for me to start playing now? I only played CoH when it came out for only 3 days so I know nothing about the game, is it a helpful community or won't I reach anything/anywhere?

There's an EU server 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigLeBluffski said:

Sorry for the silly question here, I'm a European, I guess this is a NA server?

• Reunion is the unofficlal EU server
  • Indomitable is the unoffical PvP server
  • Everlasting is the unofficial Roleplay server
  • Excelsior and Torchbearer are "normal" servers.   Well. As normal as we get.  🙂

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, kiramon said:

There's an EU server 

Just now, MTeague said:
  • Excelsior and Torchbearer are "normal" servers.   Well. As normal as we get.  🙂

Wow, helpful and active community? Sick! Thanks alot!!

• Thanks 1

People go for crafting badges all the time.  Because of this, many times you can buy crafted IOs for less than the cost of buying the recipe and crafting it.  Right now for example a Lvl 30 Accuracy IO costs 30,300 to buy the recipe (from the crafting table) and 40,400 to craft (plus materials).  The highest recent sale on the AH was 40k  That person saved at least 400+ the cost of materials plus whatever it would cost to buy the recipe from the AH or crafting table. If they already had the recipe, they could now sell it and come out even further ahead.

• Like 2

(So that is why so many players talk like this)

There is so much of this game that I am learning. The first few weeks was spent figuring out which class and combination of power sets to play (must be over a thousand). Settled on a Claws/EA Scrapper. He's about 30 as of this evening's team session. After we did a huge map everyone left the game (well, two of us left). The next mission was also timed, so I logged until tomorrow. As always it was a fun evening.

I will work into TF's and other events. Trying to learn about other game areas again. Was in Terra Volta for the first time in several years. It was an amazing zone!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BigLeBluffski said:

Also, is it worthed for me to start playing now?

Just to pick up on this part. I don't have a huge amount of experience with other mmo's but I've always understood CoH to be one of the more accessible for new players. Anyone can team with anyone in most content. There is level gated content (task forces and trials) but there is also plenty to do outside of this. This also isn't a game where only the endgame matters. If you read around this forum you will find veteren players who predominantly play at lower levels, I myself prefer the lower level teaming game than the endgame.

The game mechanics themselves are deceptive. They are straightforward to pick up but have a surprising amount of depth when you dig into them. The vast range of powerset combinations can feel a little overwhelming but there are very few bad choices out there (and the devs are working on these). The game for the most part isn't built around rigid role based combat. You will rarely have 'a job' to do that might get you called out for your inexperience. Mostly the most important things anyone can bring to a team is being friendly and a willingness to get stuck in.

Much has been done in this version of the game to make the in game economy more accessible for players starting out too. Back on live this was one area of the game that did present a high bar for entry. I had many years of play under my belt but was still very poor overall and felt somewhat excluded. But it's very different here. There is absolutely no need to chase the most expensive top end builds (they aren't that much better than cheaper alternatives) but if you want to you can get there from nothing in reasonable time. There are many guides around on this (and everything else) in the guides section of the forum.

And lastly and most importantly the community really is friendly. We love this game to bits and are delighted to have it back. We want to spread that joy around as much as possible and welcome newcomers. So, welcome to the game and enjoy your stay!

• Like 2

Sounds like you're starting to get the hang of it!

Inf income from defeating mobs in levelling content is fairly low; practically negligible compared with selling a few good drops on the AH. It's balanced for a much older economy before IOs were a thing, and even then it's on the stingy side.

The AH can feel like a time drain, but I've found that getting familiar with it and choosing a strategy means I can use it passively and spend less time in it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MTeague said:

Reunion is actually located in Germany, the others are located in Canada, so its more official than unofficial 😄  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Diantane said:

I'm not sure if you've looked into the Auction House mechanics at all, but one of the brilliant things about CoX is that the AH is very easy to use, and takes very little time.

If works on a blind bid system, so there's no need to sit in there and wait for bargains to pop up.  You just place your bids and walk away, and check back later.  So if you place some reasonable lowball bids for some Common IOs before you log off, they will very probably have filled when you log in the next day.  Then you can just slot and go.  It's not only a lot cheaper than crafting, it's probably faster.

While the AH takes a fee to list an item for sale, it's free to place and cancel bids.  So if some of your bids don't fill, you can simple cancel them and rebid a little bit higher, and it will have cost you nothing.

Until you get the hang of which drops are likely to valuable, it's always worth dropping a set recipe into the AH and checking the price, just in case.  Some of them can be worth millions without even bothering to craft them, and recipes with that sort of value can start dropping at level 10.  You can access the AH from anywhere in the game that isn't an instanced map or a PVP zone, by using the /ah command.  So no access inside  missions, but any non-PVP zone.  So it's very easy to quickly throw your drops in the AH between missions and see if you got something good.

There are lots of excellent guides for how to use the AH efficiently, which other people have already linked.  But even the most basic interactions with it can make and save you a LOT of inf.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

11 hours ago, Diantane said:

The INF coming is getting better, but after last night's session I only brought in about a half million at levels 23 to 28. Spent that creating just 6 IO's @ L30.  As I said before, the rewards are not all that great, but I'll keep at it

You should track inf. Inf per kill goes up each level. You can't even afford DOs really from 1-20, let alone SOs. You HAVE to sell to vendors, you HAVE to auction. If you want to wait till 50 when you make what, 5-50 THOUSAND inf per kill, you can do that. But at lower levels, you really have to market and sell garbage to vendors. 

edit: You should not be buying SO enhs at level 23, but generic IOs, which to be honest you should craft yourself for a much cheaper cost. They don't expire, are a bargain deal when you craft yourself, and are equally as good as SO enhs.

Edited by Hew

Also invest in unslotters.

The %% are better on D/SOs until you get to 30, then IOs offer the best %% and length of use (they don't expire).  When you get higher levels and decide to replace common IOs with sets or just higher level IOs, use an unslotters and put that gently used IO in base storage for your next alt to use. 

This will reduce the inf requirement for future characters and let you start to build your nest egg.  My base has so many stored that a new toon may only need to buy a specialty IO (like disorient that I may not have stored) or extra end red IOs (if I dont have enough).  

Happy hunting!

Edited by EmmySky

First, forget about seeing all the content on a single character, Especially if your into alting, then instead try to experience and enjoy the many many different paths to level through. No 2 toons ever need have the exact same adventures, though some story arcs and areas are so well done you tend to want to do them every toon.

You do not have to spend all that much time at the AH, I spend very little. I liquidate reward merits from story arcs and TFs into influence via Econs. However that is stuff you dont need to fret over, for now stick with what I did on HC with my first toon as I was building wealth. Lvl 15 common IOs have a healthy % and work no matter your level. You dont need the most at level IOs that cost more and do not always give much more % then the previous teir, the lvl 15s and lvl 25s are imo ideals for poor man first character builds.

Understand just running in groups doing random content is the least rewarding way to approach the game. Unless they are your story arcs, you wont see merits. Merits are the big money reward for content completion. Influence from kills is and always has been the lowest gain of inf income earning.

Your the perfect level to go run Who Will Die part 1. The signature story arc series, its first part is lvl 20. You will get 20 merits for getting through a very easy and fast few missions in skyway that have almost no travel time between them. Look for a lost pariah npc contact there. You can also use O-Zone to flash back run it. either way just about every player I know runs that sucker once a week on every toon in their stable for fast easy merits.

1 hour ago, EmmySky said:

Also invest in unslotters.

The %% are better on D/SOs until you get to 30, then IOs offer the best %% and length of use (they don't expire).  When you get higher levels and decide to replace common IOs with sets or just higher level IOs, use an unslotters and put that gently used IO in base storage for your next alt to use. 

This will reduce the inf requirement for future characters and let you start to build your nest egg.  My base has so many stored that a new toon may only need to buy a specialty IO (like disorient that I may not have stored) or extra end red IOs (if I dont have enough).  

Not too sure how you figure paying for unslotters on your common IOs is getting you anywhere... Level 25 Accuracy is 70k, Level 25 Damage is 50k. Unslotters are.... 125k
And before you say that you buy your unslotters with merits to use on these low level IOs, you would still make more money just selling the unslotters on the /ah and buying new IOs
I will just roll with my initial batch of level 25 IOs until I respec to my final build at around level 40. When you respec they will all get unslotted for free.

Edited by Seigmoraig

Personally, I prefer to do different content with different characters rather than trying to have one character do everything.

For example, my current brute never spoke to her initial contact, rather I used find contact and started immediately after the tutorial with the Matthew Hornsby (sp) arc.  Not every one of my alts goes to the Hollows or Faultline or Stirga Island or Croatoa.  All of them have great arcs but I can experience them on different characters.

With the auction house, if you build the normal named recipes and sell them in the auction house you should make decent amounts of inf.  Personally, I use my higher level characters to fund my lower level ones and I try to buy the set IOs as early as I can so I can place low bids and let them sit.  It is not unusual to get an IO that is selling for two million at 1.2 million if you have a day or two to let a bid sit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seigmoraig said:

Not too sure how you figure paying for unslotters on your common IOs is getting you anywhere... Level 25 Accuracy is 70k, Level 25 Damage is 50k. Unslotters are.... 125k
And before you say that you buy your unslotters with merits to use on these low level IOs, you would still make more money just selling the unslotters on the /ah and buying new IOs
I will just roll with my initial batch of level 25 IOs until I respec to my final build at around level 40. When you respec they will all get unslotted for free.

Okay yeah my bad....I forgot my initial investment with unslotters.  I have about a billion of them and totally forgot whatever price they cost.  I get them by the truckloads in super packs and wherever else they can be randomly found.  

I guess what I meant was to not overlook the usefulness of unslotters.