The best part of playing an old game is the old players

DougGraves

I was on a team and someone was named Senjin.  I jokingly asked if they were a beach volleyball player.  They responded yes "Sinjin Smith".  They knew the top American pro beach volleyball players from the 80's. 

I am often on teams quoting Big Trouble in Little China and other classic movies.  But they also know the other details of life from long ago.

Edited by DougGraves
  • Like 13
  • Sad 1

Few things make me happier than finding another player who gets my Firesign Theatre references. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

6 hours ago, Techwright said:

That would be Lower Back Pain, or LBP, for those of you who never saw first runs of "St. Elsewhere".  😉

I shall now have to make references to previous decades on all my PUGs.

Hey.  I'm an old-school reader of The Marvel Family.

Uncle Marvel was a boss!

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I was a bit pained to discover Don Rickles needed to be explained, when I made a fire/earth dom called Mr. Warmth. 

I shared some of the seriously off-color humor from a You Tube video and some were stunned to discover such things were ever spoken out loud. 

At the time, they were genuinely funny comments. But now, not so much. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Very high on my list of movies. Up there with Blues Brothers and Kung Fu Hustle. Edit: And Airplane. One of the greatest comedies of all time.

I always feel I'm one of the few who loves and even knows of Kung Fu Hustle.  If it's ever for sale on 4k Steelbook, I'm upgrading my copy! 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Very high on my list of movies. Up there with Blues Brothers and Kung Fu Hustle. Edit: And Airplane. One of the greatest comedies of all time.

A hospital? What is it?

It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now - and don't call me Shirley!

16 minutes ago, BrandX said:

I always feel I'm one of the few who loves and even knows of Kung Fu Hustle.  If it's ever for sale on 4k Steelbook, I'm upgrading my copy! 🙂

Definitely not alone here - KFH was an instant masterpiece classic, chock full of over the top MA tropes and terrific physical comedy gags. The actors' faces all sold it very well, especially the protagonist. Very Buster Keaton-ish (for all you young kids... Jackie Chan modeled his acting style after Keaton. Wait.. I don't have to explain Jackie Chan too, do I?? 🤣).

Has there been a solid, deadpan comedy like Airplane in the last ten years?  The last twenty?!  You know . . . something where puns and grammatic ambiguity play a big role in the punchline, and deliveries are made with the no nonsense grimness you expect from an Oscar-bait drama.

It feels like Hollywood and mainstream television have to make their comedy wink at the 4th wall directly these days.  I'm not against that, in principle . . . but there's something to be said about saturation.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

Has there been a solid, deadpan comedy like Airplane in the last ten years?  The last twenty?!  You know . . . something where puns and grammatic ambiguity play a big role in the punchline, and deliveries are made with the no nonsense grimness you expect from an Oscar-bait drama.

I thought the tv show 'Police Squad' was on par with Airplane.  Probably because it had Leslie Nielsen playing the exact same type of character.

The 'Naked Gun' movies got a little too slapstick.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

28 minutes ago, rookery. said:

While I am sure to get brickbats tossed at me, I so much more prefer the humor in Kung Fu Hustle and Airplane than in the humor of Ellen or The Office. That uncomfortable nervous humor does nothing for me.

Sounds like you picked a bad time to stop sniffing glue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2