Let's Play a Game: "What the 'ell is That Thing!?" IO Set Edition

16 minutes ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

The game is simple!  (And not actually a game, honestly.  I just don't know what this thing is supposed to be a picture of.)

Choose an image from the https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Enhancement_Sets and ask the community:  "What the 'ell is That Thing!?"

I'll go first.

File:IO Sudden Acceleration.png

What the 'ell is That Thing!?

I think it's a Speedometer, going from about 70 to 120, and blurring as the needle moves that quick. Not totally sure though. 

But it would fit the name "Sudden Acceleration"

Here's one that's puzzled me. 

File:AO Dominating Grasp.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MTeague said:

Here's one that's puzzled me. 

File:AO Dominating Grasp.png

It's a fireball with a dark right hand grasping the top (you can only see the thumb and pointer finger), to go with the name "Dominating Grasp".

Here's one:
Thumbnail for version as of 00:22, 8 May 2020
What the 'ell is that thing!?
Is it a keystone? A fortress of some kind?  A big concrete block?  I can get most of these, but this one confuses me.

• Like 2

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

8 minutes ago, Shocktacular said:

Is it a keystone? A fortress of some kind?  A big concrete block?  I can get most of these, but this one confuses me.

Looks like a concrete barrier more than a block, with the angled sides.  (https://www.shutterstock.com/image-illustration/3d-illustration-simple-concrete-barrier-icon-441826378 ) Closest thing I can figure.

(Can't really think of any that throw me, so if someone wants to volunteer one...)

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

28 minutes ago, Shocktacular said:

It's a fireball with a dark right hand grasping the top (you can only see the thumb and pointer finger), to go with the name "Dominating Grasp".

Here's one:

I think of it as a Gothic toaster.

What do you see when you see:

IO Impervium Armor.png

?

• Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

1 minute ago, ViciousCabaret said:

The crutches make some sort of sense, it's on an Immobilize set...

...unlike this, on Discouraging Words, a ToHit Debuff set:

Thumbnail for version as of 00:11, 8 May 2020

What's so discouraging about a buffalo or bison?

I suspect it is a joke referencing the song "Home on the Range".  Discouraging Word is used in the lyrics, though why they didn't use an antelope, I'll never know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I love this thread, mainly because I have no idea what most of the icons are supposed to be since I've got old eyes.  So I use converters to change hashtags to brown locusts and I'm happily none the wiser as to what they actually represent.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

4 hours ago, Techwright said:

I suspect it is a joke referencing the song "Home on the Range".  Discouraging Word is used in the lyrics, though why they didn't use an antelope, I'll never know.

The first line of the song is "Give me a home where the buffalo roam."

Every time I look at that set in Mids, I start singing the song. At least I know it's intended.

• Like 2

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

I always love this topic, because there are indeed some that still confuse me.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

5 hours ago, ViciousCabaret said:

The crutches make some sort of sense, it's on an Immobilize set...

...unlike this, on Discouraging Words, a ToHit Debuff set:

Thumbnail for version as of 00:11, 8 May 2020

What's so discouraging about a buffalo or bison?

I believe buffalo can also mean 'to bully' which kind of fits?

Hence: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

• Thanks 1

One of my favorites is because the picture is so apt to the name:

Annoyance IO_Annoyance.png.db617c3c356dd1c31dae5b77a3a69b0a.png

But what is this thing entry:

Red Fortune: IO_Red_Fortune.png.0805d074e1dc045c80c6921cae341800.png

And this just tickles me with and without stitches :

Harmonized Healing:IO_Harmonized_Healing.png.6f1779d16606a590966009d15d1fa110.png

Regenerative Tissue:IO_Regenerative_Tissue.png.d7e9a6959c64f1c08260ea072fb3a439.png

Edited by SuperPlyx

10 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

The game is simple!  (And not actually a game, honestly.  I just don't know what this thing is supposed to be a picture of.)

Choose an image from the https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Enhancement_Sets and ask the community:  "What the 'ell is That Thing!?"

I'll go first.

I always thought of this as one corner of some sort of skateboard.

11 hours ago, Techwright said:

"Oh, give me a home / Where the buffalo roam / And I'll show you a real problem floor..."

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Lines said:

Goosian the Angry Hat-Eating Duck returns!

1786565407_2020-09-1416_29_17-Window.png.b7338cbc044f0b74480a05cf04ad25a2.png.ef854d2634a0c079055dcfca189dfc86.png

2067442519_2020-09-1510_53_53-Window.thumb.png.6f6617164e7632f39de98d235fd7d3c7.png.d114b9f1b42deb440f601017d3911a83.png

I will never be able to unsee that cursed image, but GSFC's icon is just a toggle switch with the red cover flipped up.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

17 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

It's a hockey puck half hidden under a red blanket, of course.

• Like 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

File:IO Armageddon.png

What's this?

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty