Bannable ERP

Raiden Dirty

Want to know my story?

Fine by me but it's your wasted ten minutes.

I was picked up by Longbow coming out of Pocket D. See this tooth? The cracked one, Yeah the Longbow Warden did it. Couldn't have told you why then but I know now. She had a kink.

Anyways, they said I was ERPing. I denied it but they said they had proof. Showed me the logs. I pled my case, Told the judge all I did was stop in for a drink and to join a fire farm. I didn't know the person I was chatting with was a robotic succubi. I mean they didn't even have wings or a bifurcated tail.

They didn't want to hear it. They never do. 

Anyways, they sent me to horny jail for five to ten. I just got out after seven years last May, For 'good' behavior.

Funny thing is before horny jail, I was just a normal vanilla player, working my way through the Incarnate system. Now, I'm in a polyamorous relationship with a ghost, two demons, and an entire race of sentient beings that exist completely inside one pretty damn luscious body.

Guess I had to go to horny jail to learn how to be an ERPer.

((I'm sorry, :P))

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Very informative thread.  Now I am going back to wearing my spandex and leather.  

• Like 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

• City Council

19 hours ago, Darmian said:

Stick in your own bio "ERP not welcome."

15 hours ago, merrypessimist said:

Remind me again why this isn't all that needs to be said?

Because this is on you handle, not the rest of the playerbase.

If you initiate ERP with someone who hasn't explicitly asked for it, that is an actionable offence. You have no idea who's on the other side of the screen, and them not having a "ERP not welcome" message in their bio doesn't mean they are open to it. Expecting everyone else signal their disinterest to ward you off is, to be frank, a really entitled point of view, and definitely not one that we share.

The guidelines are clear:

18 hours ago, GM Impervium said:

ERP is allowed AS LONG AS:

It is done so privately

All parties involve consent

NO MINORS ARE INVOLVED.

Don't do anything to make us change them 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Because this is on you handle, not the rest of the playerbase.

Well, that's exactly what I meant, YOU (the player)  put it in YOUR bio. But before you even consider that follow these to the letter and spirit!

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

ERP is allowed AS LONG AS:

It is done so privately

All parties involve consent

NO MINORS ARE INVOLVED.

In full agreement! Absolutely! 

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

If you initiate ERP with someone who hasn't explicitly asked for it, that is an actionable offence. You have no idea who's on the other side of the screen, and them not having a "ERP not welcome" message in their bio doesn't mean they are open to it

Yep yep yep.

My suggestion was, apologies for not providing clarity, a FURTHER set of belt and braces if you absolutely, positively want it known that you're not interested in that. 

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I've generally found that the quickest way to attract something is to indicate that you do not want it in your bio.  Unless you want creepers, then just indicate that you are under age 18 or were diddled as a child and they will find you.

• Lead Game Master
55 minutes ago, maelenah said:

I've generally found that the quickest way to attract something is to indicate that you do not want it in your bio.  Unless you want creepers, then just indicate that you are under age 18 or were diddled as a child and they will find you.

Hard "NO" on anything in that last sentence, especially the last part.

If you're under 18, don't advertise it. Basic online safety 101. Only say so as a tool to get out of a bad situation (and then report the person harassing you so that we can take action). That said, don't lie about your age, either. You can just say "I'm a minor" and leave it at that. If someone presses for specifics, that's probably a red flag.

If you're over 18, pretending to be a minor (either IRL or in-character) for the purpose of inviting ERP, for whatever reason or end-goal, will result in an account ban.

And I definitely wouldn't advertise one's trauma's, especially if you're just making stuff up. Not just for your own sake, but I'm sure plenty of people would be very upset that something that actually happened to them was being used as a joke in another person's profile. Also, it's against the CoC as we prohibit discussion of real-world crimes.

So, yeah, while I know where you're coming from and probably mean well, this is actually really awful advice!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

9 minutes ago, GM Impervium said:

So, yeah, while I know where you're coming from and probably mean well, this is actually really awful advice!

I would say that it was said more in a tongue in cheek warning tone than proactive advice, but myself and a few of my sister's kids do play on the homecoming servers., which all things considered I like the admin team here over larger MMOs just because they are invested into the community and that does show in the little things.

But for the first part of my statement is a nod to the rp population that thinks that pushing someone's limits are cruise control for cool (it is not) and that they are always the exception (you are not) I've generally found that regardless of the game or setting that if you indicate that you are trying to avoid something in roleplay that people will just keep finding ways to coax it to happen organically in the flow of the story. I've lost a few friends over that actually. 

As far as the last part, meh, it is not something I bring up often, although if the discussion swings onto the topic it is something that I'll admit to having happened in a minimal detail sort of way, not something I like to do, but it was an issue in a community I was in due to excessive secret keeping.  Now with that being said. Just because someone indicates that a thing happened, it does not mean that they are open to private creeper message out of the blue probing for details.  

You raise a very important point, @maelenah, about conduct and consent in roleplay (even without bringing erotic/sexualization in to the mix).  It's a topic which we try to address a few times in the roleplay boards of this forum, and it's definitely worth talking about.

As it stands, the Code of Conduct has express rules about harassment, but also (as mentioned by @GM Impervium in this thread, amoung other places), the Code of Conduct is still somewhat nebulous on specifics so that the GMs have the latitude to exercise discretion.

The short of it:  If someone is pressuring you in terms of roleplay subject matter, the first step should be to stop the scene and explain in clear Out-of-Character text that the subject matter is not okay.  If they persist, then that's crossing a line, and it's totally within your right (and responsibility, arguably) to report it to the GMs with a /petition.

Granted . . . the GMs are all human beings, and not all GMs necessarily agree where the line on harassment and "just goofing off" exists.  But clear communication of your limits at every possible step is only going to help you in the long run.

DISCLAIMER:   I'm not a GM, and this advice is merely offered with the intent to help resolve potential issues before they ruin your enjoyment of the game.  I absolutely welcome criticisms if anyone feels this advice is incomplete or inaccurate.

Also of note:  This thread is going to some interesting places . . . it's been a bit of a rollercoaster for tone and seriousness, though.  All the same, another big thanks to @GM Impervium for handling this with tact and professional clarity, despite the jokes some of us (myself included) have cracked in this thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Why did I immediately go to this?

• Thanks 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

2 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

If someone is pressuring you in terms of roleplay subject matter, the first step should be to stop the scene and explain in clear Out-of-Character text that the subject matter is not okay.  If they persist, then that's crossing a line, and it's totally within your right (and responsibility, arguably) to report it to the GMs with a /petition.

Absolutely 100% on the mark.

If you're not comfortable with what's going on, say so. If it continues, leave. If they pursue you, report it.

You may not be the only person uncomfortable; speaking up may help others speak up, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Malohin said:

Absolutely 100% on the mark.

If you're not comfortable with what's going on, say so. If it continues, leave. If they pursue you, report it.

You may not be the only person uncomfortable; speaking up may help others speak up, too.

Good points.

Some people still have Boomer notions of what "consent" is.  As the 14 year olds would say.  Thinking unless there is a "NO" followed by a figurative slap or drink thrown in the face then its just "maybe".

Those people are idiots.   

Edited by Haijinx
  • Like 1

Ok. Since the mention of underage (age of 18) have been mentioned. Is that like a totally set rule?

Say, you play non-human characters who age either faster or slower than humans. Would adult age for their species be good enough, or is the 18 age for all creatures.

Robots need to be 18 year old (and probably be very outdated technology)
Elves need to be 18 (though in their case they may need to be 100+ since they claim adulthood a the age?)

Changelings reach adulthood at the age of 15 (does that count?)

Cats reaches adulthood at... idk age of 2?

And actually I am asking seriously because I want declaration on what is counted underage. Especially since I play a lot of non-human characters.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

24 minutes ago, June said:

And actually I am asking seriously because I want declaration on what is counted underage. Especially since I play a lot of non-human characters.

My very strong prediction is that you're not going to get any kind of declaration about it.  HC has so far, very consistently and very sensibly, not given guidelines like that, to stop assholes dancing gleefully on the boundaries.

Just keep your ERP private, and don't give people a chance to report it.  If you're not comfortable risking your account here, then use any one of the many other communication options available on the internet.

• Like 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

The fact that the GM's actually responded to this and made clarity that ERP is allowed under certain circumstances, it would be nice to not risk getting banned for breaking a rule for ERP'ing with non-human species.

And it is not about dancing around the bounderies. It's about being able to say not needing to make a glitching outdated robot that's running on Windows 3.10 system.

It's about not getting banned for your 100 year old character to be underage.

I am trying to avoid getting unfairly banned because the GM's consider my character to be underage, when I made the character as an adult.

Say I have a character who is a gentic science experiement who has been crafted and is a freshly made experiment. Aged into adulthood, but was made maybe a couple of years ago or a couple of months ago.

Say Superboy for instance. He was a clone. Chronologically just a baby, but his body and mind is deffinetly grown up.

Edited by June
had something to add

@June, I'll assume you're asking these questions with the most earnest and innocent intent.

But . . . please don't.

You're asking about a something which is considered a "grey area" to some, and a "nuke it from orbit area" to others.  And it's the sort of thing which could lead the policy makers here to say:  "You know what; that's the sort of can of worms we don't want to deal with, and now we have to be extra strict."

We've seen many online adult services take an extra wide flamethrower to -anything- is remotely considered questionable, particularly in the last couple of years.  It's a debate and discussion that really isn't acceptable to have on these message boards, so I won't go in to too much more detail on it.

The short of it:  The latitude we said the GMs have is specifically for situations like the ones you're asking for, and like I said; not all GMs are going to necessarily agree where the lines are drawn.  Don't provoke them and don't try to "rules-lawyer" them.

@Grouchybeast's advice is sound.  If you have any doubt about something like that, the safest thing to do is to take it off the game servers, or make adjustments to your roleplay so it's no longer in a grey area.  And, of course, mutual consent of all participants.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1