Concealment Pool Update: Stealth or Invisibility?

Jimmy

Concealment Pool Update: Stealth or Invisibility?  

260 members have voted

1. 1. What should the new combined Stealth / Invisibility power be called?

• Stealth
    • Invisibility

This poll is closed to new votes

• City Council

Hello everyone!

Issue 27: Second Chances, Page 2 released today, and with it came an update to the Concealment pool. Specifically Stealth and Invisibility were merged together:

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Invisibility_Stealth.png.104f33f2f11bf3378ee0ba5b0fa04d5a.png Stealth

• Stealth radius increased to match the numbers Invisibility had before this patch
    • PvE radius has increased from 36ft to 55ft
    • PvP radius has increased from 389ft to 611ft
  • Out of combat defense increased from 3.5% to 7%
    • The defense bonuses suppression in this power has been cleaned up, and will now suppress if the user attacks, heals or buffs an ally, commands a pet, is hit by a foe or the user attacks or interacts with a mission objective
    • In-combat defence is unchanged
  • Added a new 'Invisible' customization theme that makes the player barely visible when active

The combined power retained the name and icon of Stealth, but we've seen several comments stating that keeping the name and icon of Invisibility would've been preferable, so we thought we'd have a poll to check what the wider community thinks:

Invisibility_Stealth.png.104f33f2f11bf3378ee0ba5b0fa04d5a.png Stealth or Thumbnail for version as of 12:58, 13 October 2005 Invisibility?

Please note: This isn't going to be a binding poll, if convincing arguments are made one way or the other in this thread, we may opt to go with a specific option even if the poll says differently.

• Thanks 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

This sums up my thoughts. It doesn't behave quite like Invisibility, it occupies the same position as Stealth, and I'm not in the habit of changing things on such a minor level 'just because', you know? Especially now that it's hit live release - if this discussion was brought up during beta, I'd be a bit less caring.

But it's still a bit silly to me anyway, since the words 'Stealth' and 'Invisibility' are not mutually distinct from one another. One is just a more specific term for the other. Overall, I get the impression that the reason people would want the power name to change to Invisibility would be to completely lock in Concealment as an archetypal invisibility power pool. Which, again - I think it's so minor as to not need a change at this point, I don't think it needs the validation when it's already inherently implied, right?

This might be a disingenuous example, but it'd be like trying to rename the 'Aid Other' Medicine power to Healing Spray so that we know for a matter of fact that it's a healing spray, even though the weird scanning animation is slightly just loose enough to interpret it differently.

Edited by Macchiato
  • Like 7

So long as it's better than the modern AAA games where stealth requires you to crouch. 😛

• Haha 2

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

If it was renamed to Invisibility, then people could be confused.  Do they mean Infiltration?  Do they mean new Stealth?  Are they talking about the Illusion Control powers?

I think it's just easier and clearer to just leave it named Stealth.

• Like 7

@Dythok - ( Conventus on Everlasting )

"I am my scars."
Proud MFing Warshade

https://www.twitch.tv/dythok

IMO it should be called Invisibility because "Stealth" is also the name of the power effect.

• Like 1

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

I voted for Stealth because the power doesn't make your character appear to be invisible.

I know, I'm dumb. Imagine wanting the name and the visual effect to match.

• Like 3

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

14 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I voted for Stealth because the power doesn't make your character appear to be invisible.

I know, I'm dumb. Imagine wanting the name and the visual effect to match.

There is a customization option that lets it make you invisible again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stealth is the power pool as how I interpret it (even if that's not what it's officially called), but invisibility is the end goal effect of this particular power. So I voted invisibility under the caveat that all powers in this pool contribute to stealth activities.

Edited by EgyptoNerd

The "stealth" name, based on its history in-game, implies to me that a second power/stack of the effect would be required to reach full invisibility to typical enemy vision, whether from a stealth IO, Superspeed, or mist/shadow power.  Those powers containing the term "invisibility" - such as Superior/Grant Invisibility and old Invisibility - have provided that protection level in a single power, and the "new stealth" pool power now fits that pattern.

Considering that everything, up to and including glancing sidelong at the keyboard while briefly considering taking an action, causes the 19' buff to cancel itself, perhaps the appropriate name would be "Invisibility", with the quotation marks, and the icon changed to a couple of hands doing air quotes.

Son, you're not using those air quotes 'correctly' | Your Dad Did

"Invisibility"

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Considering that everything, up to and including glancing sidelong at the keyboard while briefly considering taking an action, causes the 19' buff to cancel itself, perhaps the appropriate name would be "Invisibility", with the quotation marks, and the icon changed to a couple of hands doing air quotes.

Son, you're not using those air quotes 'correctly' | Your Dad Did

"Invisibility"

566701355_Screenshot2021-04-20194421.png.d48119867499f693e0f5ffdf80d40b50.png

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 5