Whip as a Weapon Set

What i would like to see is a Weapon set for a whip. you have it in the game already for a few attacks in the mastermind Demon summoning set. why no make a full weapon set for it?

Just as soon as they design entirely new animations for the other 5 powers in the set

ACTUALLY WAIT I HAD A REALLY GOOD IDEA

how about alternate FX for the fire sword being the demon summoning whip. you've got a small attack, a big attack, and an AoE in both sets, so it works

Powers the set would "Need":

SelfBuff (Typically Aim or something similar, doesn't require much animation design)

A new heavier attack (Something like Disembowel)

A capstone attack (Like Headsplitter)

PBAoE attack (Whirling Sword, though the current cone could be repurposed into a PBAoE and a new cone created)

A "Quasi-Unique" power (Like Chain Induction, Parry, or Boggle)

Thanks to the animation for Abyssal Empowerment (A lash around the target's neck and fire running along the whip within a certain range) we have the animations for 5 powers (Aim doesn't require anything new after all!). We could have the neck grab be the heavier attack, capstone, or quasi-unique. Perhaps it could set the target on fire for a pulsing DoT to the enemy and nearby enemies? Not certain.

But what could we do for the other powers? Make it explicitly magical (Like Demon Summoning appears) with Runes used to ensnare enemies or get launched as blasts? If so, we've got animations for those as well. How about forgoing the PBAoE and having the whip-set created a Targeted AoE at short range by doing a basic whip-strike attack (Lash) and creating a rune-patch explosion like you're summoning a demon but the demon doesn't come: The ground just breaks?

Could alternatively make that the capstone. Use the Water Blast "Jump into the air charging fist" animation and go into a ground-strike where the eart splits open Demon-Summoning style...

Oh I would kill for a whip melee power for scrappers!!!!!

Heh, was thinking it was more thematic for Doms TBH :p

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Here's a though. Crazy idea but hear me out.

Have the whip as a powerset, sure. But to save the developers a LOT and I mean a LOT of time on making new attacks/animations for new whip powers. Just give the players the animations/fx for the demonic fire powers, the ones the demon pets use themselves. Combine THOSE powers with into the new whip set. Have the player character use the attacks the demon pets get, could call it Hellfire Blast or something. The whips could be implemented as the more powerful attacks with some number tweaks? I dunno. I think that'd be easier then making an entirely new whip set with animations and what not.

Lemme know what you think!

• Thanks 1

Here's a though. Crazy idea but hear me out.

Have the whip as a powerset, sure. But to save the developers a LOT and I mean a LOT of time on making new attacks/animations for new whip powers. Just give the players the animations/fx for the demonic fire powers, the ones the demon pets use themselves. Combine THOSE powers with into the new whip set. Have the player character use the attacks the demon pets get, could call it Hellfire Blast or something. The whips could be implemented as the more powerful attacks with some number tweaks? I dunno. I think that'd be easier then making an entirely new whip set with animations and what not.

Lemme know what you think!

An interesting idea. You might want to modify it so they keep the whip out/avoid redraw between the whip and blast powers. I like the idea a lot. Maybe even give it a damage type-swapping toggle like Dual Pistols to replicate each of the demon types (Fiery, Cold and Hellfire/Toxic).

Given the fact that it's a whip, that could leave room for some melee attacks for an Assault set, too.

• Thanks 1

An interesting idea. You might want to modify it so they keep the whip out/avoid redraw between the whip and blast powers. I like the idea a lot. Maybe even give it a damage type-swapping toggle like Dual Pistols to replicate each of the demon types (Fiery, Cold and Hellfire/Toxic).

Given the fact that it's a whip, that could leave room for some melee attacks for an Assault set, too.

The whip is a power in itself. its not a physical weapon that you draw so I'm pretty sure that wouldnt work. But I dont know, I'm not a coder. I'm glad you like the idea though! Thats awesome. Furthermore, I just thought of this. The animation for [HELL ON EARTH] power could be used for a hold power, or a teleport foe "GET OVER HERE". That'd be cool. Might be a bugger to code but I think its possible! I dont know, again, cant code to save my life. And the code for this game is infamous.

I do like this topic though and I hope it gains traction! Happy hunting folks!

The dev that did the existing animations said he'd burn in hell before doing a whole power set based on whip. Or words to that effect. Apparently they are the must difficult animations in the game.

Because there is a city in the Midwest that is continually threatened by a silver backed gorilla and is protected by a man who can run faster than the speed of light.

It would most likely be doable as a Hellfire Assault set, combining hellfire ranged blasts with melee whip attacks. We have 4 attacks including the Empowerment animation. Add in Combustion as a PBAoE to give it two AoEs, two ranged blasts and a lifedrain, and some self-buff, and you can fill out an Assault set with what's available in the game.

Trying to make it a set where all the attacks use a whip in the hand for the attack animation is not going to have enough animations, and adding new animations is probably the hardest part of creating new sets. Ideas and numbers come cheaply, and testing is not that much harder.

It would most likely be doable as a Hellfire Assault set, combining hellfire ranged blasts with melee whip attacks. We have 4 attacks including the Empowerment animation. Add in Combustion as a PBAoE to give it two AoEs, two ranged blasts and a lifedrain, and some self-buff, and you can fill out an Assault set with what's available in the game.

Trying to make it a set where all the attacks use a whip in the hand for the attack animation is not going to have enough animations, and adding new animations is probably the hardest part of creating new sets. Ideas and numbers come cheaply, and testing is not that much harder.

I agree with this. Whip as an assault set and then make an Assault primary class, damn it! >_<

The dev that did the existing animations said he'd burn in hell before doing a whole power set based on whip. Or words to that effect. Apparently they are the must difficult animations in the game.

The way I recall he said "The three whip powers required as much rigging and animation effort as five full conventional powersets."  And given that I'm reasonably sure that the Homecoming devs probably don't have the animation software or experience to create full animations from scratch, it's not too likely they'd create an all-whip set.  Now an Assault set as has been suggested a couple times, that could possibly work. 

+1

I think this would actually make a good Sentinel-specific set.  More ranged than melee, but, not as MUCH range as Blaster sets.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Pretty sure the only way to do it would be to make Hellfire Blast, honestly. I know I said it before but I'll say it again! *waves fist*

Joking aside though the devs have the Hellfire powers from the demons and I know for a fact they work for player models as I have used them in my solo instance. (its a lot of fun) sadly I couldnt customize the colours of said hellfire but the fact I was able to use the powers from the demon pets as well as the whips was very VERY fun. I think with enough tweaking its entirely possible to bring Hellfire Blast into the light, whether the team wants to tackle it or not is a different story. I'm just happy to have my game back, if this new idea comes to the table I'll be so SO grateful. But at the same time I am not going to grab my pitchfork if I cant have it here.

Thanks to keeping this discussion going guys! :D