Heraclea

_NOPE_

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I must report the passing of my friend, @Heraclea, known to "real life" humans as Steve Gustafson, who passed away peacefully on Sunday December 19th.

I've "known" him for over 17 years, ever since we first "met" on the original City of Heroes forums. We've stayed in constant casual contact since then. He was a constant and comforting presence in my life, and he will be missed by all who knew him. I can honestly say that I've never in my life felt a death so singularly hard and instantaneous as I felt when I learned of Steve's passing, less than an hour ago. While we never met in real life (or even in game!) we've had so many constant interactions over the years on Facebook, and on various internet forums, that he felt to me like my own blood.

Those that know him casually will remember him as a man that respected and admired women, especially "good girls", and girls of great strength and power (as his DeviantArt page will attest to - https://www.deviantart.com/ihcoyc). He was a man who was OBSESSED with language more than any person I've ever heard of this side of Tolkien. His Wikipedia user page will show the vociferousness ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ihcoyc ) of his spirit, which I'm sure he would proudly proclaim to be full of both virtue and sin in equal measure, and whose cromulent words I suspect will surely embiggen us all well into the future.

For me, personally, he was a man of character, and great personal fortitude. He was a man that knew not only himself, but the nature of man, and didn't shy away from it. He was a man that mistrusted authority, and fought dogma head on, whether it come from religion, science, or any other human construct. He was a man that I will personally miss as a great human, a great man, and a great role model. If I could end my life having become as eclectic and rich of a personality as my friend Steve was, I would consider mine a life well spent.

May you rest in peace, Steve, and may you find solace that humanity will march on and continue to create great works of literature and art, and that your place in that history will not be forgotten as long as anyone that ever knew you, lives.

Humanitas haesitans sine te.

Those that wish to honor his memory on his personal facebook page may do so here:

https://www.facebook.com/steve.gustafson.547

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 35
I'm out.

Deepest condolences PK.  I only knew Hera thru countless Tanker Tuesday runs and always new it would be a good run with them in the lead or on the team.   

The battle cries were always on point and I often found myself with a profound need to go read a book after a few hours teaming with Hera.  

I know many of us will look to honor our memories of Hera for as long as we strive to make both our worlds a better place. 

• Thumbs Up 2

What awful news, Hera was just recently added to our SG on Torchbearer. I met him on our daily Hami raids he was a regular on the range team (Team Canon). He was always kind and very personable and fit in very well with everyone.  Always willing to join what ever crazy adventures we would run.  OMG...he was a regular on my iMSR on Fridays and just loved all his Macros he would have for all his toons. Crey Proctologist macros were by far the funniest and favorite for the macros he would make for it.

If any one does not recognize his main here is a list of the Alts he played with myself as. Heraclea, Pomba Gira, Maiden Heaven, Ranavalona, Circe of Aeaea, Yamnaya, Elisabeth Bathory, Omphale, Baroness Munchhausen, Carlos Rey, Hassan i Sabbah, Ancient of Anxiety, Jungle Jenny, Graf von Dampffahrt, Arbiter Friendly, Bridget Fitch, Sabra, Crey Proctologist, Mormon in Khaki, Retiaria, Bonquers.

He was a good SG member, team mate community member and a friend

Very sad, wish the best for his friends and Family especially during the holiday season which is just the worst time to lose someone

Hera:

As an Emp I rez'd ya many times, but this the one time I can't hurts the most😢

Loved by all and will be forgotten by no one. 

Anyad

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

I remember Heraclea from the retail forums, and game, and knew him from many adventures during Tanker Tuesday.

I agree. One of the pillars of our community has fallen.

Rest in peace, Steve. Until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand.

• Thanks 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

"Hera" as we knew him at Tanker Tuesdays was a great teammate and member of the Tanker community. His presence will be missed at our events. Go in peace Hera, the TTers are better for having known you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

Terrible news to hear. Thank you for posting this update, Philotic Knight.

Heraclea was always a pleasure to team with, many a Tanker Tuesday was made even more fun by having them on the team.

His base building skills were exceptional as well. The detail and effort he put into many bases was truly impressive.

Heraclea and all their alts will be greatly missed.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I must report the passing of my friend, @Heraclea, known to "real life" humans as Steve Gustafson, who passed away peacefully on Sunday December 19th.

I don't drink much anymore, but here's one for you, Jukebox hero.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Damn. Just damn. Condolences to all who knew him. 

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

A voice of wit and reason on the forum, and the person who made me dredge up more Latin than anyone else, ever!

Quo fas et gloria mundi

• Thanks 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

23 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Didn't run across @Heraclea except here, but loved their forum posts (and musical taste). May they rest in light.

Seconding the musical tastes. We had a couple discussions on these boards about good tunes. He was definitely a poster I enjoyed reading.

My heart goes out to everyone touched by this loss. Condolences to friends and family. 

And as @DoctorDitko mentioned, Latin was the key. CJ Cherryh has a nice (free) tutorial; I intend to delve in Heraclea’s memory.

https://www.cherryh.com/www/latin1.htm

Edit / and in honor of his humor:

Edited by Nyghtmaire
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.