Heads up, this board's attracted spambots

Nerva

So I spotted a spambot post today on the boards.  I've reported it, and I have faith the mods will get to purging it with fire as its deserves.

But hey, in case anyone has never seen a spambot and doesn't know one looks like or what to do...

If you see any posts from a brand-new registered user with obviously copypasted text, irrelevant content, and a bunch of random links, do not reply or click any links under any circumstances; the health and security of your computer is at stake.  Instead just click the "..." in the upper right corner of the post, and click "Report" from the dropdown menu.

Spambot posts tend to look like this:

hi i am ingrid from sweden and i know everything about extend your FREEM i am pleased to meet you all and help you get hueg SWOLE now you can find me at ghETTo BLAsteR SALe i hope to hear from you soon!

Note that those aren't links, just facsimiles of them.

If you did click a link in the post, kill any tabs that pop up as a result (close the browser entirely if you need to), and do not click any popups or dialogue boxes the link gives you, even if they look like your virus scanner, malware scanner, OS, or other programs.  If it asks for your login information, do not enter anything - just close the tab or browser immediately.  Even if it looks exactly like the forum's own login page. You may want to purge your browser cache and do a malware & virus scan, just to be safe.

I know someone's going to say that it's obvious, but you'd be amazed how many times I've seen people fall for these scammers.

Edited by Nerva
I don't want that to be any of you folks
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

Are you sure I can't click the link?

Well, I mean, my example doesn't actually have any links, just facsimiles, so I guess you can click those to your heart's content.

Just so long as you don't click the links in an actual spambot post, you're good.

Edited by Nerva
Trimmed up for readability.

• City Council

The anti-spam service that Invision provides is very good, but unfortunately a bot does make it through every so often. Went ahead and flagged them as such, removing all of their content on the site.

Thanks for reporting the thread as spam!

• Thanks 3

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

6 minutes ago, Cipher said:

Went ahead and flagged them as such, removing all of their content on the site.

Glad to be of service, and thank you for going full protocol on a deserving target.  Promptly, too, that thing only lasted an hour or so before it was excised.

Edited by Nerva
You know you'd think autocorrect would help you make less mistakes, not more...

In ~30 years, we've gone from spam which was easily discernable due to the broken English and atrocious grammar... to spam which is easily discernable due to the broken English, atrocious grammar and obvious copypasta detritus.

Well, at least they learned how Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V works.  Should only take another 30 or 40 centuries to pass the Turing test.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

24 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

I don't know... Ingrid sounds like she'd be a lot of fun... and I do love hueg SWOLE.  

I'm down if it involves a love swing, gummy bears, and Rammstein's Ich tu der weh playing on the ghETTo BLAsteR.

• Haha 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

29 minutes ago, Luminara said:

obvious copypasta detritus.

I appreciate that you can use the word 'detritus' correctly.  Not even being sarcastic at all, here.  It's a nice, crunchy word, and probably the the classiest and most succinct way to say "leftover garbage" I've ever heard of.

Edited by Nerva
I am not Hank Hill and I do not want to sound like him.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Did someone say Spam?, mmmm, Spam and eggs with some roasted baby gold potatoes, mmmmm, now I'm hungry, crap...

• Haha 3

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

3 hours ago, Nerva said:

I appreciate that you can use the word 'detritus' correctly.  Not even being sarcastic at all, here.  It's a nice, crunchy word, and probably the the classiest and most succinct way to say "leftover garbage" I've ever heard of.

Great word.

Add to it the marvelous 'gritware.'

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

4 hours ago, Luminara said:

In ~30 years, we've gone from spam which was easily discernable due to the broken English and atrocious grammar... to spam which is easily discernable due to the broken English, atrocious grammar and obvious copypasta detritus.

Well, at least they learned how Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V works.  Should only take another 30 or 40 centuries to pass the Turing test.

Pfft!  It was an easy spot.  The language and grammer were far too clear for anyone who is actually trying to communicate with Americans or Brits.

6 hours ago, Marine X said:

Did someone say Spam?, mmmm, Spam and eggs with some roasted baby gold potatoes, mmmmm, now I'm hungry, crap...

This thread is dangerous. In addition to your contribution, I've also seen words referencing "pasta" and "grit(s)", and another word that looks like "hamhock".   😋

Joking aside, thanks @Nerva for bringing this to everyone's attention!

8 hours ago, Cipher said:

The anti-spam service that Invision provides is very good, but unfortunately a bot does make it through every so often. Went ahead and flagged them as such, removing all of their content on the site.

You're supposed to be off today. Go home, you're drunk.

1 minute ago, SeraphimKensai said:

You're supposed to be off today. Go home, you're drunk.

Funny how that happened.  I saw Cipher show up in the online users list mere minutes after making the report.  Cipher then posted in the holiday leave thread, and put up the notification at the top of the boards about it.

I'm guessing he nuked the spambot while he was here.

• Like 1

I may be getting older, but I get downright pissed at seeing spam like 'Hot single wants to meet you for sex'. I mean, really pissed. Not in a puritan level, but on the most basic of functions of using such idiotic calls in the year two thousand and twenty one.

What mental age am I supposed to be having to see such a thing and click on it? What IQ do the spam makers assume that I have?

13 minutes ago, Sovera said:

What IQ do the spam makers assume that I have?

Would they continue doing it if it never worked? Also, have you met people? Just think of the average level of human intelligence and then remember that half of them are stupider than that. (Apologies to Carlin for the paraphrasing.)

• Thumbs Up 1

I know some might not like it, but two-factor authentication would really axe this sort of thing.

• Thumbs Down 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 12/23/2021 at 8:01 AM, Marine X said:

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.