Grumpy thread of the day. Tanks/Brutes who don't actually control aggro on kill mosts.

A Brute not holding aggro is not that surprising. I do not think any of my Brutes have Taunt and I do not feign being a Tanker unless there is literally nobody else who could do the job (though if I do have to do the job, I try to do it appropriately). 

A Tanker not holding aggro, even without Taunt, sounds like a malicious act.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Major_Decoy said:

You die every seven minutes?

Actually I have a Rad/Ice tank and that thing plays like a damn monster. /Ice is a seriously underrated tanker secondary. Couple with Rads/ debuffs and heals its crazy good.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

5 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

This was happened on two ITF and three Market Crashes in a row over the last two weeks.

The tank/brute is obviously fully built and handle the aggro, so that's not an issue.

The player will jump two or three groups head, they might taunt the first group, but then they hit the aggro cap and mobs scatter.

Or the instead of pausing for two seconds to wait for multiple freak rezes. They jump two groups ahead again.

So, the rest of the team is stuck with fully rezzed freak tanks and usually the lower levels are trying to clean them up very slowly.

At point in the first MC mission we had five freak tanks running around and the tank was halfway across the map aggroing three more groups.

They are pretty much ignoring the group and soloing the TF. If they would group up the mobs nicely, things would go faster, because AOE would be more effective.

It's very selfish play and makes thing slower for the whole team.

I would like to welcome you to ROFLSTOMP play.  This is by no means new.  It is pretty much the final (current) evolution that started with Redside and Brutes

If the above irritates you sorry. Not sorry.   Ot is not the Brutes fault.  They was built that way.  You see back in the day Brutes were a LOT harder to play.  No inherent fitness meant soaking valuable power picks into health to then pick stamina.  Two picks required for a travel power.  Mez protection not available until 14-18.  Your only real ability was DAMAGE.  Taunt was a luxury you could not afford.   So…. To pump damage to the max you needed FURY.  This was a bit harder to come by as well.  And it decayed fast.  So Brutes learned to cannonball fresh spawns to keep Fury pegged and damage at a good level.  Teams followed the Brute.  Period.  

Got no idea what the Tanks excuse is…..thinks they are a Brute?   Addicted to ROFLSTOMP?

After learning the ROFLSTOMP playstyle there is no going back.  ROFLSTOMP is a helluva drug

When you say “kill most” that means different things to different people.  To a Brute it means endless chances to cannonball fresh spawns

Kaizen I know that you know this.  But I am Snarky TM pat pend lic #¥€¥=1337

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've experienced this a lot and I honestly don't care. It was a bit annoying at first but then some friends noted: it's more fun this way. Who am I to argue. Some people like the chaos. Also, so many toons are well built and can steamroll most content. So that also plays into the disorganized attacks. 

I used to team with some who would make it challenging - lower levels with topped off DIFF. There were team wipes! The novelty of it all. I'll admit I was getting a bit annoyed at the constant wipe outs and then people started applying strategery.

I feel your pain, OP, but there is really nothing wrong with that chaotic play style. To each their own, I guess 🙂

21 minutes ago, Krimson said:

My main Tanker has a warning in her bio: I AGGRO EVERYTHING I SEE. All caps. 

If I'm Tanking a farm I try and see how many squishies willing to fight. If I have a few, I don't run the Troll Caves of death. 

But Tankers work best while surrounded so Aggro it is. 

And as mentioned above, my Brutes do not have Taunt. So far, players deal with it.

So if you are on Excelsior and see either Freak Fire or Dara Kill, I will be happy to give tanking pointers. One on one.

Context is key. I was referring to TFs, which was what the OP was talking about. On a farm...*shrug*

I noted my Brutes do not come with Taunt. Someday I may give a go at building a Brute dedicated to tanking but so far I've built tanks towards that end. In fact, was toying with working up another Tanker just earlier today.

Maybe it's the presentation of the OP's "grumpy" post but unless ROTFSTOMP means leaving a whole lot of active, relatively unharmed foes behind (i.e. not stomped??) that's not what comes to mind with @KaizenSoze first post description of things.  Expecting the other 7 players to clean up 2 or 3 leftovers from each of 2 intervening mobs, *shrug* not the best tanking (especially for an actual Tanker) but okay it shouldn't be a life and death issue either.  But that's not the impression I got left with at all.

7 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Maybe it's the presentation of the OP's "grumpy" post but unless ROTFSTOMP means leaving a whole lot of active, relatively unharmed foes behind (i.e. not stomped??) that's not what comes to mind

It's more like blinders and a single-minded drive to push FORWARD, rather than leaving no survivors...

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, biostem said:

It's more like blinders and a single-minded drive to push FORWARD, rather than leaving no survivors...

Okay, but that doesn't seem to describe the behavior noted either ... why stopping a few mobs ahead then vs just finishing the "I'm a near indestructible incarnated 'stealthy' speed run" at the mission objective.  And that definitely doesn't sound like anything is getting stomped (what, wait thought this was a kill most?) unless the team picks up the slack.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Clarity

24 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Okay, but that doesn't seem to describe the behavior noted either ... why stopping a few mobs ahead then vs just finishing the "I'm a near indestructible incarnated 'stealthy' speed run" at the mission objective.  And that definitely doesn't sound like anything is getting stomped (what, wait thought this was a kill most?) unless the team picks up the slack.

Then perhaps this tank/brute figured "I killed enough, they can mop up the rest", and kept charging on ahead...  *** shrugs ***

So you ended up playing free safety while the other guy blissfully blitzed. Shoot, that’s standard play outside TFs from what I’ve seen.  

Well...at least they’re enjoying themselves. The rest are just mom picking up the mess.

• Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

49 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

“Kill most” ITF and market crash are rarely that. They are “kill through” rather than “speed” due to the sheer volume of enemies in certain missions 

3 minutes ago, Snarky said:

“Kill most” ITF and market crash are rarely that. They are “kill through” rather than “speed” due to the sheer volume of enemies in certain missions 

Well fair enough.  Seems some lack of communication going on then because if the Brute/Tanker/Lead Zerg left more standing than faceplated I would have appreciated knowing they were not planning on tanking/taking aggro for the team and it was going to be a chaotic rush so I could have grabbed a more appropriate character for the festivities.  "Let me grab my Hurricane Havoc character brb"  🤪

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

This is pretty much the reason I (almost) never play a tank in team play.  It's a total drag to be asked/told to play a certain way because someone else on my team has a bee in their bonnet about how I'm engaging in a recreational activity wrong.  So I don't play a tank unless I'm in a particularly good mood, I'm willing to be ordered around by random strangers, and I happen to be in the mood to "actively tank".

Of course, what I really find fun is stepping up with a corruptor or stalker and taking on "active tank" duties. 

That really can apply to almost all AT debuffers vs healers blaster vs blapper ext even one can be told they are playing the game wrong by someone. Your best bet is whatever you play to try to play nice and have fun and maybe even make some fun for others. 

20 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

unless I'm in a particularly good mood, I'm willing to be ordered around by random strangers,

Happens from some people no matter what AT you play these days to be honest.

The random "know betters" are far and few between.

There is a difference between asking and demanding of course.

The demanders get /ignored immediately. The ones that keep asking until they become buggers, well, they are just stealth demanders so they will end up getting the same treatment.

20 hours ago, Akisan said:

Yes, it is the tank/brute's job to set the pace of the mission

Nope. Not at all.

Any teams needs to take time to gel and figure out how things are working and what needs to be done to make it work.

You NEVER have to have a tank on the team. Tankers don't even need to be ones to charge in. Tanks don't even need to charge in.

Here's a tactic that I love that doesn't tend to get used. Tanker taunts a mob and runs around a corner. As they run up, controller taunts them. They can't attack the controller. The tank is around the corner, and they can't attack the tank. The tank jumps around the corner and re-taunts as it recharges. Controller keeps the glued down. The rest of the team mows them down.

The tank is only the "big" man on the team because they are supposed to be protecting the rest of the team.

You can play a tank however you like, but other players are going to figure out if you aren't taunting to protect them and start going after the strays one at a time instead of trying to use their multi target powers what would create better synergy with a team.

20 hours ago, Akisan said:

it's very selfish behavior for any player to just run ahead and leave the rest of the team behind like that

Some players these days just join teams to solo.

They aren't there to team. They are just there to show off how powerful they are.

19 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I guess I wasn't on your team as I play literally every AT like a 1 man wrecking crew, but I would of been ahead of the tanker, and they'd be back wondering where all the mobs are

Case in point.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

10 hours ago, biostem said:

What is it called when a tanker gets scrapper-lock?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

23 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I don't know about live, but the OP here on Homecoming clearly couldn't operate the chat window well enough to just ask the Tank/Brute to slow down and do a better job at holding aggro.

"Put the god damn bowl down and pop a green, Arcane!!!"

I swear I'm gonna add that to my signature.  😁

They did kinda. Honestly no excuses, the tank role is to keep the team safe. Easiest goddamn class in the game, easiest goddamn role, and people STILL mess it up. Baffling. 

It’s why I build my toons for survival. I assume if I’m not tanking, the real  “tank” with FUBAR. Not always right but it’s best to assume I will be.

I don’t waste my time explaining this to folks unless they ask, instead, I show them up with my blasters/fenders/trollers, then they seemingly get pissed/quit 

Edited by Seed22
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

4 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

What is it called when a tanker gets scrapper-lock?

3 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

It's still scrapperlock. I get scrapperlock on most of my characters, regardless of AT.

For you: the day the Tanker disgraced your TF was the most important day of your life. For me: it was (Tanker) Tuesday.

• Haha 3

I keep reading that the tanks role is to keep the team safe.  That’s something tanks can certainly do, but a lot of people pick tanks or brutes so they can personally survive.  The role a given player takes on is up to that specific player not the other people playing. There is nothing inherent in a tank that makes them need to protect the team.  If anyone assumes that a tank or brute intends to play with a team first attitude then that anyone will certainly have to swallow a lot of disappointment. 

Edited by zenijos10
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

I was threatened to be kicked from a team once for going ahead to the next group of mobs as i was the Tanker and the team decided to go a different way. There was no communication as to how they wanted to do it. They started dying and blamed me. I said they should really follow the Tank to which the disagreed and thought i should follow a Blaster. Anyway i finished that area and then made my excuses and left the team.

Edited by Gobbledegook