Focused Feedback: Sonic Assault

• Developer

Sonic Assault

• New secondary for Dominators.
  • Sonic Assault lets you use the power of sound waves to damage and weaken your foes.

Powers:

SonicManipulation_Shriek.png.08209190eeb99756706ddae1bd380ba9.png Shriek  Ranged, Light DMG(Smash/Energy), Foe -Res
SonicManipulation_StridentEcho.png.c7e85174d7ad43014752a1cec363f359.png Strident Echo  Melee, High DMG(Smash/Energy), chance for Hold
SonicManipulation_Scream.png.41b2aa693f152c73becca3c923731034.png Scream  Ranged, Moderate DMG(Smash/Energy), Foe -Res
SonicManipulation_Shockwave.png.bef6137590e489324be4f18bdc2a1aee.png Shockwave  Ranged(Cone), Light DMG(Smash/Energy), Knockback
SonicManipulation_PowerUp.png.058c4944055cfa82b036e82e6e779a3a.png Bass Boost   Self +DMG, +Special
SonicManipulation_DeafeningCry.png.a4ab6b9202bdc05a58626bb883662e66.png Deafening Wave  Melee(AoE), Light DMG(Smash/Energy), chance for Hold
SonicManipulation_DisruptionAura.png.92258898e2901e5bfa331296b90f609a.png Disruption Aura  Toggle: Foe -Res

SonicManipulation_Shout.png.072193fae292e4cbc37262e801d19728.png Shout  Ranged, Superior DMG(Smash/Energy), Foe -Res
SonicManipulation_Earsplitter.png.56dcb4fe6dfa81efeb9e9479a7ede962.png Earsplitter  Melee, Extreme DMG(Smash/Energy), chance for Hold

• Like 1

New powerset! Looks awesome. :classic_ninja:

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

Just thought I'd dig up this ancient thread to say ...

CALLED IT!  (well, kinda... it's really not THAT similar...)

• Haha 1

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

6 hours ago, The Curator said:

Bass Boost

This is all the reason I need to make a sonic assault character.

I just need a 64 chevy impala costume so I can roll around paragon blasting let me ride.

• Haha 4

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

This sounds great... my brain is already working on new toons. 

It would be really, really great if, when I make the inevitably female /sonic dominator, she doesnt sound like a man every time she uses her powers.  

Any chance we can get scream sounds to automatically match the gender, or perhaps be selectable, like one of the choices in the power customization, or an accompanying selector?  Even if it's reused screams - like from scrapper secondary activation sets, etc - just some way we can elect our female characters to sound like female characters.  

And, while I've got mug in hand... it would also be great to have such a change proliferate across the existing sonic ATs.  

And even if it cant make it in this patch, maybe on the roadmap for next patch, to compliment this one?

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Developer
2 hours ago, eustace said:

It would be really, really great if, when I make the inevitably female /sonic dominator, she doesnt sound like a man every time she uses her powers.  

Any chance we can get scream sounds to automatically match the gender, or perhaps be selectable, like one of the choices in the power customization, or an accompanying selector?  Even if it's reused screams - like from scrapper secondary activation sets, etc - just some way we can elect our female characters to sound like female characters.  

And, while I've got mug in hand... it would also be great to have such a change proliferate across the existing sonic ATs.  

And even if it cant make it in this patch, maybe on the roadmap for next patch, to compliment this one?

Excellent suggestion. @Captain Powerhouse, @Booper, @Player-1, can it be done? Conditional Sound FX on triggerbits?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

hc_sig copy.jpg

There comes a time in which all stories must come to an end. It's a shame, hero, that you and your people aren't writing the end of yours. We've taken it upon ourselves to be the author of this universe's story, and your chapter will be added to the ever-growing story of how we dictated the path for all life.

Always great to have a new set. My favorite thing about it is that, since it's built from existing powers in different sets, Whip Assault seems more possible than ever.

• Like 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

On 7/13/2022 at 3:12 AM, eustace said:

There are mods that can change the sounds of the screams. All they would have to do is bake those into the set as a customization option. It may sound 😁 easier than it is.

Haven't had the chance to try this out yet or anything Beta for that matter.  (It's been a crazy week. 😩)   One question coming immediately to mind:  the sound and its effects on players?  I recall other threads suggesting that there are players sensitive to the sonic sounds previously in the game.  While yes, I can run a mod that changes it for me, I understand with current sonics that my teammates and anyone else hears the originals.  I'd rather not make people sick.  Has this been addressed with this new set?

8 hours ago, Techwright said:

Haven't had the chance to try this out yet or anything Beta for that matter.  (It's been a crazy week. 😩)   One question coming immediately to mind:  the sound and its effects on players?  I recall other threads suggesting that there are players sensitive to the sonic sounds previously in the game.  While yes, I can run a mod that changes it for me, I understand with current sonics that my teammates and anyone else hears the originals.  I'd rather not make people sick.  Has this been addressed with this new set?

Unknown on SFX, but the VFX are still an issue.

Sonic Manipulation VFX are "off" enough that they spark a headache for me, enough that I had to mothball an Elec/Sonic Blaster I wanted to play.

Previewing the animations for Sonic Assault resulted in the same headache. I wish we had alternate animations.

• Like 1

Death is the best debuff.

On 7/12/2022 at 1:57 PM, The Curator said:

SonicManipulation_DisruptionAura.png.92258898e2901e5bfa331296b90f609a.png Disruption Aura  Toggle: Foe -Res

Based on in game, shouldn't this be listed as Toggle: PBAOE Foe -Res?

I play where my toons are... and they are everywhere.  But Everlasting is my current main home.  Come on by my base GOLD-11404.  And, yes, most of my toons start Gold Side (Bold Side)!
If you want to make a fortune of Inf in City of Heroes, watch my guide on the Auction House.
Or come on by and visit my Discord.

I run my theme groups there and chat with Twitch viewers in voice there.
And lastly, come see my on Twitch.  City of Heroes is my main game!

15 minutes ago, Errants said:

Unknown on SFX, but the VFX are still an issue.

Sonic Manipulation VFX are "off" enough that they spark a headache for me, enough that I had to mothball an Elec/Sonic Blaster I wanted to play.

Previewing the animations for Sonic Assault resulted in the same headache. I wish we had alternate animations.

Can you clarify? Does it give you a literal headache? Neurological issue? Or are you saying you're just not a fan?

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Just now, Bopper said:

Can you clarify? Does it give you a literal headache? Neurological issue? Or are you saying you're just not a fan?

Literal, physical pain. Frontal lobes.

Only happened when playing the Elec/Sonic Blaster, does not occur with other sets, or even other Elec/ blast toons. Doesn't occur with /Sonic Manip blasters on team, presumably because there's enough VFX noise that I'm not as aware.

Occurred as well when just previewing the Sonic Assault animations.

Headache usually goes away about 20minute after NOT viewing the animations.

Shades of the OG Sonic support set and headache reports - Though, 10+ years ago, that didn't bother me then.

Death is the best debuff.

6 minutes ago, Errants said:

Literal, physical pain. Frontal lobes.

Only happened when playing the Elec/Sonic Blaster, does not occur with other sets, or even other Elec/ blast toons. Doesn't occur with /Sonic Manip blasters on team, presumably because there's enough VFX noise that I'm not as aware.

Occurred as well when just previewing the Sonic Assault animations.

Headache usually goes away about 20minute after NOT viewing the animations.

Shades of the OG Sonic support set and headache reports - Though, 10+ years ago, that didn't bother me then.

I won't discuss publicly further than what you just brought up. But if you can, PM me and I'll pass along what you describe to see if there are possible alternate animations that could help. Disruption Arrow for Trick Arrow was handled similarly in the past.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

I think it's already been brought up, but I want to mention it as well!

I'd love if the sonic assault could be similar thematically to the symphonic control, in having effects and sounds like the siren npcs do.  I also want to mention that this is a powerset I've wanted for months, if not years--thank you so much for including symphonic control! 

I am not sure if everyone would want the "symphonic assault" but I know I do and I'd regret it if I did not mention that specifically!  I don't know whether or not this is even feasible, but... if it is, please consider it!

As for the mechanics themselves, I am very happy with this powerset otherwise! 

• Like 2

I am digging this new set.  It feels a bit like Earth Assault without the hammers.  I like that the mix of attacks have chances to hold, apply -resistance or knockback effect; depending on which attack is used.  It can fit a wide range of playstyles.  It isn't a one-trick pony with just -res.

I have been pairing it with the updated Ice Control and it is pretty fun so far. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyone know how much -res a Dom can stack with this set using the single target ranged attacks?

The sonic blast sets now apply two -res effects, one of which stacks up to 4 times. 

But I can't tell if any of that applies to dominators using city of data.  I can see 3 different -7.5% res all effects, each with a different name and duration, one for each attack. So my guess is -22.5%, but that locks you in to using the single target ranged attacks in your rotation to maintain it. 

Some clarity in the patch notes whether sonic assault works the same as the defender versions would be much appreciated.

• City Council
10 minutes ago, ... said:

Anyone know how much -res a Dom can stack with this set using the single target ranged attacks?

The sonic blast sets now apply two -res effects, one of which stacks up to 4 times. 

But I can't tell if any of that applies to dominators using city of data.  I can see 3 different -7.5% res all effects, each with a different name and duration, one for each attack. So my guess is -22.5%, but that locks you in to using the single target ranged attacks in your rotation to maintain it. 

Some clarity in the patch notes whether sonic assault works the same as the defender versions would be much appreciated.

Correct. Shriek, Scream, and Shout each do -7.5% resistance debuff and multiple applications from the same power will not stack. Instead, it will replace (refresh) its debuff.

You also have Disruption Aura which does another -15% debuff in an area around you. In total, you can achieve -37.5% resistance debuff against a single target.

• Thanks 1

• City Council
4 minutes ago, Bartacus said:

is this set affected by the DPA changes for sonic blast?

The cast times for the Dominator version will match the Sonic Attack version, but the damage from Dominator version doesn't always match. Shout and Shockwave have higher cooldowns and do higher damage than their Sonic Attack counterparts. Shriek and Scream are the same.

• Thanks 3

Finally got around to trying out this set and am loving it so far. Paired it with Ice/ as they really seem to complement each other and it's fun just watching stuff melt. I'm also impressed with how good the damage feels considering we're also getting the bonus of -res and other fun secondary effects.

One thing that could *maybe* be addressed is the sfx for Deafening Wave? I know it's ported from the Blaster secondary (and I have issue with the sound there too), and it's namely that the power has almost the same exact sound as when you run out of endurance and endurance crash. I catch myself slightly panicking that I've crashed my end bar when using Deafening Wave. 😅

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster