Crey targeting order in your 40s

Yomo Kimyata

So when they toughened up Crey a few updates ago, I didn't pay much attention to be honest.  Most of my exposure to them is in my 30s when they aren't much to look at, or at 50 as I'm blasting out those few groups in the Mender Ramiel arc towards incarnatehood.  But over the past few days I've been running some solo scrappers (41-43) through some 40s Crey content, and whew!  At 50, at least, you've got your ATOs and WOs superiorized, you've got your purple sets available, you've got your PvP IOs +5ed, so that's not too bad.  You are *significantly* more powerful at 50 than you are at 49 for that reason alone.  But when I'm fighting groups of level 46+ Crey (which will spawn half the time at +4 when you are as low as lvl 41), I'm having a real hard time figuring out who I'm supposed to be going after first.

My normal MO is if anyone is glowing bright green, they have to go right away.  So the Gamma Tank minions are first on my list, because if they hit me I'm getting defense debuffed into oblivion.  But wait, the Juggernaut is Taunting me, so I guess I have to get him first.  (Also, I think it is NO GOOD UNFAIR that they are able to keep me taunted when they have PFF up.)  And then there is the Hallucinogenic Gas that the Crisis Units use.  Ok, ok, fine, I'll carry around a breakie for each spawn.   That's a lot of breakies though, and it doesn't help when the Eliminator's Tear Gas breaks through my -to hit resistance so I need to pop a yellow as well!

But of course, now you start to mix in one or two bosses as well.  Ever get a spawn with two Protector Elites when one is the healer and the other is the radiation debuffer whose Enervating Field power is auto-hit?  Good times.  And the Cryogenicist at 46+?  WOW!

I'm having a hard time coming up with an optimal order to take them out.  But it is interesting as all get out.  And I'm surviving +3/x5 spawns like I'm winning a title fight.  Admittedly, this is on a Stone/Electric scrapper, so I'm not exactly fighting the defense debuff...

I mean, clearly the answer is a super reflexes scrapper, if scrapper it must be, but c'mon!

Who run Bartertown?

As a blaster (and mez magnet)
1) I tend to prioritise the ones that can put me on hold like the Electric and Ice ones.

2) Then comes the rezzy ones, the scientists and researchers as they run to rez their fallen comrades. The rez gets interrupted by my attacks and they join the dearly departed soon after.
3) And if the Juggernaut taunts me, then I give him the full undivided attention of my "annoyance" until he's dead--he was begging for it.
4) The Protector, I don't deal with unless I'm sure I can time my shots to it before it activates the invulnerability.
5) The green-glowie kind and the pyro scientist don't bother me as much and I can save them for later.

6) If there's an EB or AV around, i would usually work to clear the underlings away first, either that or separate the head honcho from the mob and deal with him "privately".

As a dom, it doesn't matter much. They will all wait obediently until it's their turn to die.

I do this when I'm solo and control the pace of how things fall into place.
When I'm in a team, I tend to go with the flow which is usually just attack whatever's closest... or whatever's still breathing.

I think you may be overthinking things a smidge, Mr. Yomo. You need to take it down a notch and relax. Barter Town can't have you going off into panic attacks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Six-Six said:

4) The Protector, I don't deal with unless I'm sure I can time my shots to it before it activates the invulnerability.

Depends on the Protector. The ones that fire energy blasts, for example, need to be pounded hard before they fire Elude and become almost impossible to hit, while the claws type are just another speedbump, and don't need special attention.

• Like 1

There is a Paragon Protector that dishes out radiation damage, and those rascals kill me if I don't see them in time. I mean, it's over quick. So, I try to target them first. There's another Crey NPC that gives me a confuse, which doesn't matter if I have a PBAoE attack, but if not, it's really frustrating because I can't attack anything. And I still don't know which one does that. 

This is one of those reasons I build my characters more for order than choas. It pays to be able to sit there and take the punishment for a minute at the cost of blowing them up in 5 seconds instead of 8 seconds. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Six-Six said:

I think you may be overthinking things a smidge, Mr. Yomo. You need to take it down a notch and relax. Barter Town can't have you going off into panic attacks.

No fears.  Worst case scenario is that YomoCorp buys Crey and ships Julianne Thompson off to run the banana stand.

• Haha 2

Who run Bartertown?

4 hours ago, Ukase said:

Crey NPC that gives me a confuse, which doesn't matter if I have a PBAoE attack

If you're using a pbaoe attack while you're confused that just means you're attacking your teammates or whatever may be friendly (pets, ally NPCs).  You may be thinking of being placated or taunted where a pbaoe is helpful.  When confused, unless solo, that's going to not be helpful.

3 hours ago, Hedgefund2 said:

If you're using a pbaoe attack while you're confused that just means you're attacking your teammates or whatever may be friendly (pets, ally NPCs).  You may be thinking of being placated or taunted where a pbaoe is helpful.  When confused, unless solo, that's going to not be helpful.

I simply meant that while confused, because I'm solo, that's the only attack I can fire. And, you're right, doesn't do any good. 

About all I can say (based mostly on recollection but also going up against other mob factions with similar status effects/debuffs) is kite from range, apply your own holds/debuffs before getting any -toHit on yourself, or recruit a Defender/Corruptor/Controller that can either help clear the effects off yourself, OR lock the spawns down so they don't hurt people.  

I am VERY glad that as a Claws/SR scrapper, I ran the 40's as a Scrap/Def duo.  Having an Empath at my elbow was a godsend (Or in her case a goddess-send!)

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

12 minutes ago, MistressOhm said:

About all I can say (based mostly on recollection but also going up against other mob factions with similar status effects/debuffs) is kite from range, apply your own holds/debuffs before getting any -toHit on yourself, or recruit a Defender/Corruptor/Controller that can either help clear the effects off yourself, OR lock the spawns down so they don't hurt people.  

I am VERY glad that as a Claws/SR scrapper, I ran the 40's as a Scrap/Def duo.  Having an Empath at my elbow was a godsend (Or in her case a goddess-send!)

😁 Clearly Crey messed up.  They got Elude on some but put Claws on others ... Claws/SR ftw 

• Thumbs Up 1

All the new PPs who have capes take precedence. They either debuff resistances or defenses and I'm not waiting to check which. Cryo bosses are a nuisance but not dangerous. The.. I forget the name, the red armored ones, I try to take down before they bubble up since after bubbling they run off and while I don't care about their piddly damage they will taunt and prevent me from fighting until I go dash to them and put them out of their misery.

There is someone who does confuse but I have not cared enough to pinpoint them (so many other targets to take care of) but they can spectacularly screw a soloer's alpha. I depend on the initial alpha to cull the enemies since the Crey can be dangerous in numbers and seeing it miss because they are suddenly 'friendly'....  Same thing Succubi do, but CoT go from being a very dangerous group in the teens to being pushovers in the 30s-50s (mostly due to Focused Accuracy becoming available), in numbers or not.

My Katana/Dark scrapper just runs the damage &  stun auras and murders whoever hasn't stumbled out of range.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Pretty much I aim for the Protectors.  I have had some minor troubles with some of the tanks, but not enough to have seriously felt the need to reconsider my targeting.  MoG is just a PITA.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• 2 weeks later

MoG and Elude are good times to plink at them with your T1 attack, or Brawl.  Run the Rope-A-Dope on them, conserve your own endurance, once their "I am INVINCIBLE!" wears off, they drop like sacks of potatoes.  

580154843_invincible-alan-cumming1.gif.8c6657f271073d86453fd2cc53836604.gif

Wait for it.... 

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!