A City of Heroes Con!

Seriously, someone should organize that.

Not it.

But someone should. Wouldn't take too much, probably just a nice hotel somewhere with a reasonably large conference centre attached, done over a weekend.

Let's get the conversation started.

-The Legendary Living Hellfire

"The newest person in the room is always the most important person in the room"

1 hour ago, Living_Hellfire said:

But someone should. Wouldn't take too much, probably just a nice hotel somewhere with a reasonably large conference centre attached, done over a weekend.

Trust me, I've been on staff for day and weekend events all the way from head honcho on down...  It's a *much* bigger [censored] headache job than you realize.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done or shouldn't be done - just that you should disabuse yourself of the notion that it "wouldn't take much".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

39 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Trust me, I've been on staff for day and weekend events all the way from head honcho on down...  It's a *much* bigger [censored] headache job than you realize.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done or shouldn't be done - just that you should disabuse yourself of the notion that it "wouldn't take much".

Yeah, I get that, that's why I'm "not it", but I'll tell you this... I will help however I can.

• Like 1

-The Legendary Living Hellfire

"The newest person in the room is always the most important person in the room"

Just now, Living_Hellfire said:

Not if it's not for profit.

Hard to convince people it won't be. There will be many people who go there with the idea of vendoring items and so forth, at the very least. Not to mention whatever location used will want money as well, the need to pay staff, etc. etc. etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

You'd have to make it a generic "We Love Superheroes" convention, otherwise NCSoft could indeed shut it down.

Not to mention that you'd have a really hard time renting a venue if City of Heroes is in the Convention's name because owners would be concerned about legal consequences.

• Like 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

50 minutes ago, Ravenwulfe said:

Wouldn't there be legal issues for a Con specifically for CoH?

Potentially.  Much depends on how, if, NCSoft decides to handle the matter...  and we just don't know for certain.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

I dont recommend it.  HC's servers are already in a very precarious situation with NC Soft et al (its not just NC Soft mind you.  Marvel's previous suit against Cryptic wasn't in perpetuity nulling the game from infringements and that was before the Almighty House of the Mouse took over Marvel either....).   Not saying that it would happen....   just why fork around and find out, ya know...

I am not sure I like the idea of a full blown convention, but informal meet-and-greets (regional or larger) over a weekend might be fun. Maybe have a discussion panel or three or some similar activities, and keep things informal.

• Like 1

I'd be interested, but I think you might be overestimating how much interest there would be - especially since, with a global playerbase, there is literally no where in the world you could put this thing that wouldn't require air travel for the vast majority of potential attendees.

Perhaps, instead, trying to piggy-back on to an existing comics or video game convention might be more practical?  Get a booth at SDCC, or something like that, and then arrange a meet-up and play date for CoX fans who are already there or might be interested in going?

• Thumbs Up 1

I am collecting influence to build a War Wall around Croatoa, and I need your support TODAY! Can I put you down for 1 million inf?

Wait, did I misread the thread title?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Oklahoman, Okie, Vayne Glorious, Sooner Magic, Treehugging Wacko, Boy Band, etc

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

26 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

I am collecting influence to build a War Wall around Croatoa, and I need your support TODAY! Can I put you down for 1 million inf?

I've got a bridge in Skyway to sell you

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Did anyone here go to the CoH convention at the Omega Sektor in Birmingham back in 2008? There was a race held in game, artists to draw your toons, a Q and A etc. Still got my ncsoft bag of free stuff. Also Shadow Shard soldiers can spawn with the surnames of attendees. I went with my best mate and I always get a wave of nostaliga when I see an npc with our names. If I did it again I'd have to get a hotel. Sleeping at the venue meant I found out how many CoH players snore really loud.

ncsofteuult.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 6:01 PM, MrAxe said:

Did anyone here go to the CoH convention at the Omega Sektor in Birmingham back in 2008? There was a race held in game, artists to draw your toons, a Q and A etc. Still got my ncsoft bag of free stuff. Also Shadow Shard soldiers can spawn with the surnames of attendees. I went with my best mate and I always get a wave of nostaliga when I see an npc with our names. If I did it again I'd have to get a hotel. Sleeping at the venue meant I found out how many CoH players snore really loud.

ncsofteuult.jpg

Were those professionally made costumes for NCSoft or just really great amateur cosplay work?

Oh, and the ladies' costumes, too?

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Retired Community Rep

What about just having a meet n greet or something connected with a convention (or multiple in various parts of the country) that already exists?  Maybe a panel or two. Get some cosplay going. We don't need to reinvent the wheel, not when there are already conventions around that are well populated where we could potentially expand our player base.

-Dacy

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Starting small is probably the best option. It wouldn't even need to be directly part of the Con.

People could post here if they are going to be at a Con and want to meet other CoH players there. And post specifics as available about where to meet and at what day/time at the Con.

I've gone to plenty of Cons that have a board to post events/games that people are running in their hotel room.

There are usually plenty of places to hang out or get something to eat as a group.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Don't make it a City of Heroes con. Make is a Homecoming con.

Simplest way seems like not making it a con though. That has a lot of expectations and lots of extra activities. Rather make it a simple meet n' greet, agree on meeting the X in the park of Z city and bring lunch with you.

*park is overwhelmed by 500 people showing up*

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Sovera said:

Don't make it a City of Heroes con. Make is a Homecoming con.

Simplest way seems like not making it a con though. That has a lot of expectations and lots of extra activities. Rather make it a simple meet n' greet, agree on meeting the X in the park of Z city and bring lunch with you.

I went to a great CoH meet-up in Birmingham.  We met up at a gaming cafe that I'm sure must have closed down by now, and played CoH on their LAN and then went for an very nice Chinese meal.  I think an official rep showed up because IIRC I got a costume code out of it, and maybe a mousepad, too?  It was a fun day.

Edited by Grouchybeast
  • Like 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

On 10/5/2022 at 6:22 PM, Living_Hellfire said:

Seriously, someone should organize that.

Not it.

Let's get the conversation started.

Apparently, a cursory google search revealed such an event did exist, once upon a time -- when the dinosaurs roamed, and /jranger ruled as god king of the universe.

But, that was also in the time where "City of Heroes", as a game, was a product that could be purchased.

It's been like, ten jillion years since then. Now, "City of Heroes", as a game, is no longer a product. It is an intellectual property owned by NCSoft (i think), and the game we play today operates in a grey sea of legality. The less we remind NCSoft that this IP is something that exists, the less inclined they are to exercise their right to sink this ship.

So. Instead of a convention. Maybe we just do a community event to celebrate "City of Heroes", as a game, within the game...

Im pretty sure they already do that tho, so maybe just wait for the party? Idk lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Resident certified baby

On 10/6/2022 at 12:49 PM, Oklahoman said:

Build a wall, and make the Rikti pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Resident certified baby