Badges: puzzled why teams never seem to go for these ones

Techwright

2 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I hadn't seen anything in the wiki or City of Data (all hail Uberguy) that indicated there was any limit.  I will certainly look into this!

There's nothing in the powers data that limits it, but rather the mission itself just won't give you the reward after the first time. If you could jam out a console command to GM-award yourself the power you could get it an unlimited amount of times.

And if you could get it after completing Mayhems and Safeguards multiple times, this would easily be exploited and well known by min-maxers, especially the stat-boosts and Summon Teammates, the latter which would render ATT obsolete because it does the same thing but on a 5 minute CD that accepts global recharge reduction (so effectively 2-3 mins)

I'll often ensure I run a level 15-20 bank mission just to get this power to have handy during my leveling track. Especially on a character that can stealth to objectives.

• Like 1

welcome. zombie lady is 2nd boss. room with bridge. badges? ok. kill lady, no kill adds. auras off, no pets, no aoe, its CRUCIALLY important I get it this run of dfb, bc i will never go for 4x buffs or the xp rewards until lvl 12. 

do you even pvp?

1 hour ago, honoroit said:

welcome. zombie lady is 2nd boss. room with bridge. badges? ok. kill lady, no kill adds. auras off, no pets, no aoe, its CRUCIALLY important I get it this run of dfb, bc i will never go for 4x buffs or the xp rewards until lvl 12. 

do you even pvp?

We need an iteration of ITF that goes like that.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 6/21/2023 at 7:33 AM, Techwright said:

I used the PI Safeguard which has Malta to complete the Sapper Defeats Badge at +1x8 with about 5 or 6 repeats. Nice having them outside where they were easy to spot instead of hiding around a corner or hovering above a door. ( Is that what you meant, @Techwright, as far as farming Safeguards? )

• Like 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

12 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

You're forgetting the part where most PI Radio teams are often a collection of rag-tag players from (literally) level 1 to 50+++ with a median somewhere between 30-35.

I'm not forgetting that.  What I can't remember is ever being on a radio team that failed to complete a bank mission, AV or no AV.  I'm sure it's happened and if I was on an especially weak, heavily side-kicked team of lowbies, I might consider skipping it.  But most radio teams I've ever been on have been more than capable of handling one AV.

Plus it's just hilarious to catch Lord Recluse himself stooping to bank robbery.

2 hours ago, Marine X said:

Sapper Defeats Badge

Wait a second . . . 🤔

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

1 hour ago, ZemX said:

I'm not forgetting that.  What I can't remember is ever being on a radio team that failed to complete a bank mission, AV or no AV.  I'm sure it's happened and if I was on an especially weak, heavily side-kicked team of lowbies, I might consider skipping it.  But most radio teams I've ever been on have been more than capable of handling one AV.

This is still only looking at one aspect of the whole. The AV piece is a potential slog that could see half or more of the team wipe in the effort of completion, or not, but also find that the majority of the work is performed by one or two of the characters who were actually strong enough/slotted to perform the task of taking on an AV in the first place. Don't get me wrong I'm not arguing for or against skipping the mission, I'm just stating that I get why they do.

The Mayhem missions were created for variance, but when it comes to net INF+XP/time, they're ultimately inferior to just running another Radio mission for most teams. 🤷‍♂️

19 hours ago, honoroit said:

What the ever loving . . . wha . . . what?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 6/21/2023 at 7:33 AM, Techwright said:

I realize not everyone is a badge hound, but I'm puzzled why, over the last couple of years, I've consistently seen teams ignoring earning the following badges, sometimes deliberately ignoring them:

2. Doorbuster Badge - Jail doors destroyed badge.  Yeah, it will not be had on any one try, but considering the number of times people run the Penny Yin Task Force, taking an extra minute or two to destroy all the jail doors would add up over time.  Citadel TF has a lot of them too, and I believe the map is reused several times in that one.

I'm withholding and actual "thumbs down"; this is my warning that insisting on "doorbusting" during a Penny Yin or Citadel TF deserves to be met with "durr-busting"(*1). It is definitely NOT a minute or two on Citadel (yeah, you go break doors while there is a pool room to deal with) and it completely breaks the flow of a combat-focused Yin TF.

If you want a blueside doorbuster mission, load up on temp attack powers and run the Aaron Thiery arc.

(*1) My absolute least-favorite moment of a Yin TF Leader's cognitive dissonance crying that he wanted doors to be defeated "for the badge", and then later pitching a fit when the extra rooms were opened in the Terra Volta reactor map (to get extra bosses "for the badge(s)" obviously).

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, ZemX said:

Plus it's just hilarious to catch Lord Recluse himself stooping to bank robbery.

i’ve been on a few chaotic teams where an AV spawns in a bank mish and things grind to a halt

due to @Snarky’s Law the full team is often not available, which leads to multiple wipes:

3 people on the AV at the door

2 people fighting things at the vault

1 person meandering aimlessly on the map

1 person street sweeping outside

1 person AFK

• Haha 1

I truly just don't care about badges. Sure it's only a few minutes more but my toon might only last abouther week or two as it is. Why put the time for something you don't want or care about. Don't get me wrong I'm happy to help a badger if they ask or need it but for me there nothing but a waste of time.

2 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

i’ve been on a few chaotic teams where an AV spawns in a bank mish and things grind to a halt

You say this like it's a bad thing! 🤪

No, look everybody, I actually DO get it.  Most people are boring.  PI radios are boring.  Boring is the point.  Whenever I see someone advertise "PI radios, no carnies, no caves" my eyes just about roll up into my head.  Why not just AE farm?

While I am very much FOR the idea of people doing whatever personally floats their own boat... it won't stop surprising me what absolutely mind-numbingly boring ways people seem to like to play this game.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 1:02 AM, honoroit said:

do you even pvp?

Wow, that was weird.  But no one would ever do that in real life . . .

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

2 hours ago, ZemX said:

No, look everybody, I actually DO get it.  Most people are boring.  PI radios are boring.  Boring is the point.  Whenever I see someone advertise "PI radios, no carnies, no caves" my eyes just about roll up into my head.  Why not just AE farm?

While I am very much FOR the idea of people doing whatever personally floats their own boat... it won't stop surprising me what absolutely mind-numbingly boring ways people seem to like to play this game.

i agree - i do like a bit of chaos and uncertainty, it’s where classic CoH re-emerges

On 6/23/2023 at 8:01 AM, ZemX said:

And how exactly do you play this game? I'm pretty sure any way of playing could be labeled as boring depending on the person.

On 6/21/2023 at 11:20 AM, JasperStone said:

Form your own team.

State you will be doing Badges.

This is always the right option.  If you don't do that, then don't complain when people forgo that when you spring it on them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

8 hours ago, foosbabaganoosh said:

And how exactly do you play this game? I'm pretty sure any way of playing could be labeled as boring depending on the person.

Which part of my "whatever floats your boat" comment lead you to believe I didn't understand this?

13 hours ago, ZemX said:

Which part of my "whatever floats your boat" comment lead you to believe I didn't understand this?

I don't know your comment was oozing with such a large amount of condescension I was just curious as to what you deemed outside the realm of "mind-numbingly boring".

4 hours ago, foosbabaganoosh said:

I don't know your comment was oozing with such a large amount of condescension I was just curious as to what you deemed outside the realm of "mind-numbingly boring".

ZemX's comment was rather ambiguous.  You inferred they were referring to one of your specific playstyles.  That's on you.  Of course different playstyles are boring to different people.  You're starting an argument without a basis for doing so.  

On 6/23/2023 at 9:01 AM, ZemX said:

What is the proper way to the game that is not boring?

Apparently I may be playing it wrong.

/e poofgone