Help me love City again

Arbegla

Sometimes you just need to take a break - if the game starts feeling like a job or just doesn't interest you anymore, some time away can do you a lot of good - absence making the heart grow fonder and all that...

On 6/29/2023 at 4:39 PM, Arbegla said:

Hey guys,

I recently finished all of the Hero side content, and I'm slowly working my way through the villain side, but I've lost some steam. I'm playing my bot/traps MM and I can't seem to find much joy or challenge in the game anymore. I'm in a bit of a funk but I want to enjoy the game again.

What 'new' thing could I do, what worthwhile AE arcs are there to play, what advice do ya'll have to bring that spark back to my soul?

Any help would be appreciated and welcome.

-Arbegla

Taking a break is always a thing, thankfully this game appears to be here to stay for a while.

Also, once a friend and I had reached a certain proficiency back in Live, one of the things we like to do is spice it up via metagaming - like making a synergistic duo like a controller and defender, then crank up the mission settings and play a game of "keep the PUG alive" despite the mission looking like deep purple suicide to them.

You could always use random character generator from @Troo

I have three characters from it that I love to play. (reroll if you get something you already have)

I also use the random costume generator for this. Limited to three hits of the random button

• Thumbs Up 2

/e poofgone

On 6/29/2023 at 5:39 PM, Arbegla said:

I recently finished all of the Hero side content

the villain side, but I've lost some steam.

Well, first off, are you sure you played "all" the hero content.

I have no idea how many characters you have played or how many different archetypes and power sets you have tried.

Second, you're playing a villain and not liking it, and you enjoyed playing a hero.

You enjoyed playing a hero. And playing a villain is not fun.

Seem clear to me, if you really do want to enjoy playing the game, stop playing a villain and make a new hero.

The content isn't the same when you play with a different archetype or powerset.

The content isn't the same when you team up with PUGs.

All the variation is there. Alt out. Be free. Explore different types of superheroes. Explore different genres. 

What 'new' thing could I do, what worthwhile AE arcs are there to play

Any one that isn't labeled as a farm would be new content.

There are hundreds of AE missions that people have made.

You can even make your own.

It isn't that hard, but it is time consuming.

How about build a base?

Have you checked out the PVP zones?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Like others have said, take a break from CoH. Fellow players have posted other games they are playing, or have played when not playing CoH here:

Also, Steam's Summer Sale is going on, perhaps check if anything on your wish list is on sale. I have some friends that play Ark and it's currently one sale for 75% off.

For something completely different, I loved playing Monument Valley on my tablet and bought copies when they became available on Steam. As one called it "a meditative puzzler" with fantastic artwork.

Steam_MV1_Title.gif?t=1678124389

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Take a break!

I'm kind of doing the same myself, slowly but surely weening off of CoH for a while. You may come back, you may not, and that's okay too! CoH has a decent amount of content to play through, but once you've done it all multiple times(assuming you have), it very much starts losing luster. The worst thing you could do is try and force yourself to play continuously even while bored. That'll lead to hatred of the game. 

Play other games too! I'm currently playing D4 and catching up on shows, and that's been nice (though I did go against my own advice and PL'ed two alts to 50 in an attempt to eek out the last bits of my altitis).

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Hey guys,

I recently finished all of the Hero side content, and I'm slowly working my way through the villain side, but I've lost some steam. I'm playing my bot/traps MM and I can't seem to find much joy or challenge in the game anymore. I'm in a bit of a funk but I want to enjoy the game again.

What 'new' thing could I do, what worthwhile AE arcs are there to play, what advice do ya'll have to bring that spark back to my soul?

Any help would be appreciated and welcome.

-Arbegla

Take a break. There is nothing wrong with doing something else for a little bit, then coming back when you feel like it.

I recommend taking a...

Wait a second.  You've mentioned nothing about gold side.  Have you run through its story content?  Both factions?  There's a very different feel to it at times.

And as to everyone else, the OP asked for A.E. content they might play.  I've seen several say: "design your own", but I'm not sure I've seen one suggestion yet of actual content.  I don't play the AE myself or I'd pitch one.  Can no one else actually do what the OP requested and make suggestions of current content?

26 minutes ago, Techwright said:

I recommend taking a...

Wait a second.  You've mentioned nothing about gold side.  Have you run through its story content?  Both factions?  There's a very different feel to it at times.

And as to everyone else, the OP asked for A.E. content they might play.  I've seen several say: "design your own", but I'm not sure I've seen one suggestion yet of actual content.  I don't play the AE myself or I'd pitch one.  Can no one else actually do what the OP requested and make suggestions of current content?

"Design your own" sounds flippant but it's not.

Back on live I gave myself a challenge, with no experience of the AE tools, to write a 3 act, 5 plot point story in a single mission.

It worked, it was fun and ended in a chaotic battle. It had rising tension, a homage to Aladdin, irony and a couple of sweet plot twists.

It was a very memorable experience. Highly recommended. I never touched AE after that - my one and only experience of it. Maybe I should have done more.

What I'm trying to say is that it's not impossible for a complete noob to generate something good.

And now you can get ChatGPT to do all the things you can't. In fact, it could probably do the whole thing. The human would have to do the laborious donkeywork tho, as usual.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

7 hours ago, Herotu said:

And now you can get ChatGPT to do all the things you can't. In fact, it could probably do the whole thing. The human would have to do the laborious donkeywork tho, as usual.

Man, if anyone out there does do this, please don’t list yourself as the author. There’s already people using AI to generate art and saying they “made it.”:-/

• Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

21 minutes ago, cranebump said:

Man, if anyone out there does do this, please don’t list yourself as the author. There’s already people using AI to generate art and saying they “made it.”:-/

All those employees who are using AI to help them with their work shouldn't be paid either! That pay should be shared among all the previous generations of people that the AI uses to average it's responses.

• Thumbs Up 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

1 hour ago, Herotu said:

All those employees who are using AI to help them with their work shouldn't be paid either! That pay should be shared among all the previous generations of people that the AI uses to average it's responses.

Yeah...No way to track that, though, huh? We're getting into Star Trek land now. Holodeck programming and such. Computer, combine X and Y. Now show me Z. I've done it, Captain!

Is what it is. Sorta democratizes artistry and creativity. Then again, info sharing democratizes the intellect when it comes to memory, so it's all an adjustment. ChatGPT already does "good enough" to crank out passable drafts that people can tweak. I'm not sure what I think about it. On the one hand, it replaces a skill I have and have depended on to a degree. On the other hand, after 26 years of reading a lot of truly bad student writing it's something of a relief that people have a crutch for mundane tasks. It's a different world. That's how it goes with progress. Just hoping by the time it eclipses personal artistry I'll be long dead. That way I don't have to crab about it.:-)

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

2 years, before it starts really cutting into knowledge jobs, and it will. you only have to lay off the worker 1x, then its done and you're more profitable.

was watching some video recently with projections in some industries of being able to remove ~80% of the workforce.

thats before we look at what places like amazon are trying to do asap - general high dexterity work to further automate things like distribution centers (which have obliviated the 'high street' local store).

universal income will be necessary when you have ~50%++ unemployment, and are (as human) inferior to the machine - representing only burden.

its like the construction sites they have in some areas of Japan, its all old men working it, waiting to be retired.  companies pay them a wage, but its not being replaced.

so the world goes. generations from now will work much lighter, will speak to companions and helpers that create for them a lifestyle we do not enjoy or envision clearly now.

the transition will be tricky.

survive - said the prophet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Herotu said:

This is like saying that an employee who uses Word Processing with macros shouldn't be paid.

If you use an appropriate tool that keeps the accuracy you require and makes your job EASIER, good on YOU for having the brain power to work SMARTER, not HARDER.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

25 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

This is like saying that an employee who uses Word Processing with macros shouldn't be paid.

If you use an appropriate tool that keeps the accuracy you require and makes your job EASIER, good on YOU for having the brain power to work SMARTER, not HARDER.

A word processor still requires you to push the keys, which requires you to have something to say (and to have some ability to say it cogently). I don’t think this is an apt comparison. I also don’t think people shouldn’t get paid for doing their job with the tools they’re allowed. But this tool is going to make more people unemployed. The word processor just made clean text easier to produce. Now we’re asking it to type the work for us. I imagine we’ll be asking it to read it for us, or, better yet, put it into bullet points, because we don’t want to deal with reading.

Assuming composition skills (or just, you know, having a decent vocabulary) continue to atrophy due to underdeveloped skills, one wonders if the average schlub of future generations will have the linguistic capacity to easily frame their requests. You can’t work smarter if you’re not very smart to begin with. Future generations won’t have just “tools.” They’ll have replacements. That humankind has made. Maybe it’ll mean people will pursue their own passions. But how many people’s passions range much further than amusing themselves to death? (Neil Postman may have been right)

Edited by cranebump

Ok, a quit note about ChatGPT (and other like programs). As one who is taking College courses, and writing essays & research papers (as best I can), every single teacher & staff is telling us NOT to use Chat GPT, or else our work will be considered plagiarism, which is actually a accurate description, because when it is all said and done, the AI is writing your paper for you. And basically, you are in essence, turning someone else's work in while counting it as your own. And this is what I found on plagiarism...

"Plagiarism is not illegal in the United States in most situations. Instead it is considered a violation of honor or ethics codes and can result in disciplinary action from a person's school or workplace"

So use ChatGPT for your own amusement, but never use it to do the work for you, because at the end of the day, it's just not your work, tool or not... 😉

Please come and join us on Friday at 2pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (2pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

the printing press made people unemployed.

it is plagerism to have a 'i do research for you by lookup (you dont read and dont learn, filter, consider sources, no matter how slow - thats skipped), rather one high speed skims for broad qa, or reads the summaries generated.  its a different kind of information processing, and presumption of correctness in citation and digest.  is the quality lower, if few remain that can assess it as so? or do need need to concern ourselves with a more outsourced brain?

'not illegal', means go, in business.

'besties, do you want to buy an nft? a magic coin? a wealth distribution game of the ultra rich? gamestonk? a coal mine?'

were not far off 2050. theres a lot from Pondsmith's vision that we see and will see.

less neon.

the homeless and those at loss are as eccentricity, amusement, or feel-good-today token - while churches call the same protagonist of the times, and fight being weilded as misappropriated icon for violent mind.  --> and mind can reel to look upon it, and so goes decay.

city centers with junky troupes.

mass shootings every week or so.  toddlers trained in evacuation drills, and shot up anyway.

depression, sickness, and ill mental health - and no cure deliberatly; the grinder of the base being preferable (you should pull up your socks!), and encouraging of self elimination.

glimmer and rain, youre flash in a pan, old thing.

a white picket fence, and a suburb with burned trees smoke in the air.

you kno what? my idea, of a good night out, is some sharp blue glass, and a 97€$ bottle of clean water. enough cash to run the A.C.

and i shall be a moogle, kupo. wander and lust. sustained of a magic? just smiling with my eyes closed.

who'll tell us where to go now, and how to - today? there isnt time and it keeps taking.

there'll be more though, horray for the Human - and glory, to Mankind.  see? now sustained of sentiment, and walking on. good good.

Edited by honoroit

6 hours ago, cranebump said:

A word processor still requires you to push the keys, which requires you to have something to say (and to have some ability to say it cogently). I don’t think this is an apt comparison. I also don’t think people shouldn’t get paid for doing their job with the tools they’re allowed. But this tool is going to make more people unemployed. The word processor just made clean text easier to produce. Now we’re asking it to type the work for us. I imagine we’ll be asking it to read it for us, or, better yet, put it into bullet points, because we don’t want to deal with reading.

Assuming composition skills (or just, you know, having a decent vocabulary) continue to atrophy due to underdeveloped skills, one wonders if the average schlub of future generations will have the linguistic capacity to easily frame their requests. You can’t work smarter if you’re not very smart to begin with. Future generations won’t have just “tools.” They’ll have replacements. That humankind has made. Maybe it’ll mean people will pursue their own passions. But how many people’s passions range much further than amusing themselves to death? (Neil Postman may have been right)

I never said it wasn't going to impact employment.

Just that saying "a tool shouldn't be used" in the here and now is ridiculous.

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

5 hours ago, BjorJlen said:

Ok, a quit note about ChatGPT (and other like programs). As one who is taking College courses, and writing essays & research papers (as best I can), every single teacher & staff is telling us NOT to use Chat GPT, or else our work will be considered plagiarism, which is actually a accurate description, because when it is all said and done, the AI is writing your paper for you. And basically, you are in essence, turning someone else's work in while counting it as your own. And this is what I found on plagiarism...

"Plagiarism is not illegal in the United States in most situations. Instead it is considered a violation of honor or ethics codes and can result in disciplinary action from a person's school or workplace"

So use ChatGPT for your own amusement, but never use it to do the work for you, because at the end of the day, it's just not your work, tool or not... 😉

We stand on the shoulders of giants. Our progress as a civilisation means we don't have to invent the wheel again - does that mean we owe the person who Copyrighted the wheel?

Bosses claim that the work of their employees belongs to them. So what's different about ChatGPT?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Just that saying "a tool shouldn't be used" in the here and now is ridiculous.

It’s already affecting employment (the white collar one, anyway). But that wasn’t my focus. I was trying to make the case that AI is unlike any other tool we’ve developed. A tool is an extension of something we already do, using our own intelligence. This is a step toward replacing several aspects of it. Maybe it’s okay, since most people’s writing is shitty. But, really, we’re talking about creating something that will replace elements of social interaction. Little things first, like going through the drive through, or trying to get help online. It’s not like I have a burning desire to talk to a real person when I order my McMuffin. But humankind’s ascent was predicated on cooperation and communication in community. If our “tool” is better at it, and eventually develops self-determination, then what is our role? At some point, the machine rewires the person.

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 1