Health/Stamina Slotting

drgantz

I've always used 3 slots in Health and Stamina because I've heard that more than 3 enhancements give diminishing returns.  I recently saw someone say that they should be 6 slotted.

Most of my toons are either Stalker, Scrapper, Tanker and Blaster.  Most don't have self heals  or End regain.

How should I slot them and which enhancements are best?

I don't think I have ever more than 3 slotted either power, though I am sure there may be some very specific build out there that require it.  Low levels, 2-3 SO/IO Endurance mods in stamina should carry you. Same for health if you need it (though i tend to skip it entirely until mid game).

Mid to late you'll want to swap to the set IO procs that I believe most folks use. Ironically at this stage you'll use the slots in health primarily for endurance (with some bonus healing in the mix).  3-slotting health with the Miracle, Numina's Convalesense, and Panacea Proc IOs is super common, all of which give you back endurance (Pancea and Numina give health as well)  I tend to just use the default Stamina with a Performance Shifter Proc in it at this point, but if you wanted more healing you could add a slot for the Power transfer one as well, or add another health slot for Regenerative Tissue proc. 

The point of these in those powers specifically is since they are "auto" powers the bonuses are always on, giving you constant healing and endurance recharge.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Aside from a few edge cases, you hardly ever need to dump more than 3 slots in either. Not to enhance their base values, but in order to slot very useful procs in them.

Most commonly, you'll see Health slotted with a Panacea: Chance for +Health and EnduranceMiracle: +Recovery, and a Numina's Convalescence: Regeneration/Recovery. Stamina typically slotted with a Performance Shifter: Chance for +Endurance and an accompanying IO or two. This is generally accepted as the best "bang for your buck" in terms of slot efficiency.

Personally, I like dropping a 3-piece Synapse's Shock in Stamina along with the Performance Shifter proc to nab a nice chunk of Slow RES.

Some edge cases would be a Super Reflexes toon slotting up Health for the extra Regen, as a little bit goes a long way for them. Or those that want to capitalize on Power Transfer: Chance for Self Heal in Stamina.

Edited by Spaghetti Betty
  • Like 2

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

Since you mentioned Blasters: their sustains typically have a base endurance recovery that's twice as powerful as Stamina - so it's usually not worth putting any extra slots in Stamina unless you're going for procs/set bonuses.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

Most commonly, you'll see Health slotted with a Panacea: Chance for +Health and EnduranceMiracle: +Recovery, and a Numina's Convalescence: Regeneration/Recovery. Stamina typically slotted with a Performance Shifter: Chance for +Endurance and an accompanying IO or two. This is generally accepted as the best "bang for your buck" in terms of slot efficiency.

This is normally how I have slotted.
And YES, it's bang for the buck is maximal.

About the only update I would add to this is the Power Transfer Chance for Self Heal.

• Thumbs Up 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

7 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

This is normally how I have slotted.
And YES, it's bang for the buck is maximal.

About the only update I would add to this is the Power Transfer Chance for Self Heal.

6 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

Some edge cases would be a Super Reflexes toon slotting up Health for the extra Regen, as a little bit goes a long way for them. Or those that want to capitalize on Power Transfer: Chance for Self Heal in Stamina.

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

I always slot a Panacea proc in Health at level 7 and run an End Mod SO in Stamina until level 18 when I slot either the Performance Shifter or Power Transfer proc depending on my endurance issues.  Generally I do not slot anything else in Stamina unless the build is end heavy (I'm looking at you /Dark and /Stone armors).  I usually only slot up Health with one or two more slots for a Numina, Miracle, or Regen Tissue proc depending on the needs of the build

8 hours ago, Apogee said:

Generally I do not slot anything else in Stamina unless the build is end heavy (I'm looking at you /Dark and /Stone armors).

I two slot Stamina on my /stone Stalker and Brute. Using the +End Proc in Dark's heal goes a long way to fixing it's end issues. I do need to relevel a DA based character so I can further explore it at higher levels, but End honestly wasn't that much of an issue the last time I leveled it.

For me, iIt partly depends on the AT and what powers they have. It also depends on how many slots I deem I can afford to put into them. I would outright question anyone saying they need to be 6-slotted. It feels like someone who never understood ED happened. If you 6-slot both, then your build is underslotted elsewhere. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

16 hours ago, drgantz said:

I've always used 3 slots in Health and Stamina because I've heard that more than 3 enhancements give diminishing returns.  I recently saw someone say that they should be 6 slotted.

Most of my toons are either Stalker, Scrapper, Tanker and Blaster.  Most don't have self heals  or End regain.

It's alway good to indicate if you are leveling or just want to discuss level 50s.

People's replies will be different based upon that.

If I recall correctly, you are an end-gamer, is that correct?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

16 hours ago, drgantz said:

I can't imagine 6-slotting Health. A Healing piece (e.g. an IO) does improve Regeneration, so for Tankers and Brutes (high HP characters that will be taking damage and benefit from Regeneration) I recommend slotting the Numina Healing/Absorb piece along with the Numina global to double-down on improving Regeneration (2-piece set bonus!). Squishier characters are less likely to see as much benefit from the Regeneration as much as extra Recovery (because spamming attacks or running toggles that burn Endurance).

Of course, Tankers often have another power than benefits from slotting Healing sets, so there are more dimensions to what gets slotted (and where). I usually don't chase Regeneration, except on characters with a large base HP. There are a few other sets (Willpower, Super Reflexes, VEATs) where I will consider adding more Regeneration to go along with something like Scaling Damage Resistance.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

It's alway good to indicate if you are leveling or just want to discuss level 50s.

People's replies will be different based upon that.

If I recall correctly, you are an end-gamer, is that correct?

I guess this makes me an end gamer as I slot how I'm going to slot in the end as well as I can. I clearly need to sub something else in if my end build uses a set I can't slot until 27 or 50, but the amount of slots I dedicate for it remain the same.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

Generally speaking:

Stamina: PerfShifter and Power Transfer in most cases. If the build is heavy on the blue bar and lacks other options I'll pair one or both with an EndMod from their respective set and boost it to +5.

Health: Basically "Procs" only here. I've not seen a reason (for the majority of my toons) to supplement them with an additional piece from a given set as I do with Stamina. I've never chased the set bonuses from the Heal sets in here. Mostly because I want those slots elsewhere, but also a little because adding Recharge/etc enhancement to a power that doesn't benefit from it makes my left eye twitch in unhealthy ways. 🤣

Prior to reaching a level where a desired IO piece is available I'll usually just slap an SO in there and use the upgrade button because I'm lazy.

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Like 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

1 hour ago, ZekeStenzland said:

Surprised no one else mentioned it, but if you have nowhere else to put it, the Preventive Medicine Absorb proc in Health can be useful for those with low hp values. 

Definitely agree. That absorb proc has saved my hide on more than one occasion. Even on higher base health characters it can be a blessing in disguise. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

This^

While my norm on all my other characters is pretty much the 3 slots or less as is common in this thread (with just the base slot in both Health and Stamina in my Empaths) my Claws/SR has 6 in both Health and Body Mastery and 4 in Stamina primarily for the +max health as well as the +regeneration.  She also has just shy of 2100 hit points and passive regeneration of ~32 hp/sec further  backed by t4 Rebirth which will see her at the hp cap for scrappers for quite a space of time.

19 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

Personally, I like dropping a 3-piece Synapse's Shock in Stamina along with the Performance Shifter proc to nab a nice chunk of Slow RES.

Barring other considerations, I'll three-slot Stamina early with End Mod SOs, then throw in the Performance Shifter proc and the Performance Shifter End Mod, and consider pulling the third slot out later if I've got no End issues, or dropping a common End Mod IO in if I do.

• Thumbs Up 3

Slotting them for me depends on the build.

My GENERAL go-to for health and stamina is:

Health: Panacea +health/end proc, Numina regen/recovery, Miracle +recovery

Stamina: Power Transfer heal proc, Synapse end mod/run spd, Synapse end mod, Synapse dmg/end mod

Gives me two proc'd heals, 91% end mod in stamina, +22.5% run speed, and 10% resistance to slow/recharge debuffs

If a character is seriously struggling for endurance, I'll toss another slot into stamina for a Performance Shifter end proc

If they're pretty solid on endurance and recovery, I might drop the Miracle out of health

Edited by WumpusRat
  • Like 1

I usually 3 slot health for the special IOs mentioned above.  For stamina, if the character has another form of end recovery, I'll usually 3-slot it with the performance shifter special IO then 2 other end mod IOs, but if said character lacks that additional source of recovery, I'll do the special IO and 3 other end mods.

In Stamina, 2 end mod and a performance shifter +end proc (also a healing proc if its a tank).

Health varies a lot depending on build. At the very least the combined healing and end proc gets slotted. A lot of the time I slot at least one recovery global in there too.

Edited by MrAxe
I hate typing on phones these days. I need real buttons!

On a character without another heal or +recovery power I 6-slot Health and 4-slot Stamina.

Health gets all the procs.  Panacea, Miracle, Numina's, Preventive Medicine, and Regenerative Tissue.  Then the Numina's Heal in the last slot.  That gets me maxed out on health regen in the power.

Stamina gets two procs: Performance Shifter and Power Transfer.  Then the End IO from each set, boosted to 50+5.  That gets me maxed out recovery slotting in the power and both procs.

That way I have about the most health and endurance recovery I can get on that character.  If I want more regen I'll try to squeeze in the Impervious Skin resistance unique.  With all that and whatever incidental set bonuses I get in my build without trying I usually end up with around 250%-300% regen.  I can get closer to 300% or over if I can target a few set bonuses toward that goal.

With that much regen plus the two heal procs it really makes a noticeable difference in my ability to recover from a bit of incoming damage.  It obviously won't sustain me when I'm taking heavy fire, but it's nice to know that I'll usually top off pretty quick once the incoming damage dies down.

Spaghetti Betty was spot on. My personal picks are almost always Panacea, Miracle, Numina, then Perf shifter proc and perf shift endmod, then a IO endmod.  If slots are free… never are start slapping in heal procs. It would bd nice to get the Synapse Shock 3 slot bonus…. But i cannot justify going that deep.  On toons with no end issues i may only go two slots in stamina, both perf shift, if i am slot hungry 

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 2

On 8/17/2023 at 9:05 AM, Without_Pause said:

I two slot Stamina on my /stone Stalker and Brute. Using the +End Proc in Dark's heal goes a long way to fixing it's end issues. I do need to relevel a DA based character so I can further explore it at higher levels, but End honestly wasn't that much of an issue the last time I leveled it.

Actively pursuing your +End accolades also helps immensely.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

1 minute ago, Hyperstrike said:

Actively pursuing your +End accolades also helps immensely.

I have a Fire/time Controller actively working on the second one. Leveling that on commons wasn't great. It got a lot more tolerable once IO sets got involved. I actively looked at set bonuses for reducing End cost. The Alpha slot will further take care of the issue. Its rather good right now at 42 though.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

I'd question specifically what the OP means by "Six slotting" in this context because it is an ambiguous term.

Six slotting with the same SO/IO is foolishness because of ED - others have pointed this out.

This it's kind of important to understand what the person who told the OP actually meant.

I can see there might be an outlier case for six slotting with procs/Set IOs to pursue specific bonuses - but I would suggest that SpettyBatty has provided the most useful, common answer.

It's also worth considering that the new End Sets offer some interesting variations. I did find one character found that I could entirely skip a travel power due to the increase in speed bonuses you can slot in Endurance and some other sets which (working from memory here) saved me several slots even after adding a couple to accommodate them

But I would also suggest that Aleister Crowley offers good advice in builds too: Do what thou wilt and all that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.