We all need to leave this game. It's too good

This is a fairly common thought that many ex-MMO players I know have had.  The game starts to consume their lives.  

I play CoH because I tire of it after an hour or two of playing (especially if that two hours is a Synapse TF).

But I don't play Civ 5 because that game I can start to play and look up to discover it is 3 days later.

And I have a certain sympathy for this post because when I quit Asheron's Call 20+ years ago I made a similar forum post of the Choose Life rant at the end of Trainspotters, 

• Thumbs Up 3

For me it's books, fiction specifically. I start reading and I seriously can't put something down (if it's good), to sleep, work, etc. Eventually I went to work at a neighborhood library branch - great for getting the books I wanted to read without having to pay for them, terrible for being distracted so much of the time it was stupid. So I stopped reading books. I know. But I had to. Now I read on the internet, fanfiction sometimes, and I have to be careful there too. I stay up reading half or more of the night when I have work the next day. I work at home on my computer and while I am conscientious , I have to be careful not to read or I'm gone. It's addictive behavior, I recognize it, I know, for me, where it comes from so I have to take it seriously.

CoH does not affect me *quite* the same way, I can stop when I get tired, I can take breaks for days, if I'm busy with important RL stuff, longer. But when they closed Live, I was depressed for years not to have my vacation location available, and believing it was gone forever. 

Having it back just relaxes me as a fact of it's existence. So no, we don't all have to leave this too-good game, but each to his own necessity.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Malibu is idling at the intersection.

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

Been there, done that, messed around
I'm having fun, don't put me down
I'll never let you sweep me off my feet
I won't let you in again
The messages I've tried to send
My information's just not going in
I'm burning bridges shore to shore
I break away from something more
I'm not turned on to love until it's cheap
Been there, done that messed around
I'm having fun, don't put me down
I'll never let you sweep me off my feet
This time, baby, I'll be bulletproof
This time, baby, I'll be bulletproof

• Like 1

@temnix

Yes there are other games

some MAY even be better than coh

but regardless most humans choose 

a single game

like football 

or baseball

or street fighter

or call of duty

or chess

golf

or BMXing (is bmx a verb now?)

or magic the gathering/Yu-gi-oh/pokemon

We know other games exist

but we always come back home

Its never too late to make a different choice

or learn a new game

but wherever you go, whatever you do

we'll be right here waiting for you 🎸

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

I mean, I can feel it. I originally started playing in I6. Game was good, I had fun, the RP community was lovely. I really got into it. Eventually got bored and went to play Champions Online for a bit, eventually paid for one month in CoH and ended only playing half an hour of the month at seeing the old graphics compared to the hotness that was CO (they had fingers! That flexed! ...we have mittens with lines to suggest fingers).

Queue Homecoming coming out. Enthusiastic return, all previous poo poo ing about graphics ignored. Go DEEP into it, sometimes wake up early to play (I tend to wake at around 6-7 and then turn over and keep sleeping but I'd start 'but I could be leveling something!' and more than once got up and booted up the computer). Took about a year to wean myself off and mostly because I tested all the possible combos (my infamous Fire Armor thread a part of it).

"We all need to leave this game. It's too good."

Sure... and we all need to stop breathing because oxygen is too good.

And stop eating bacon because it's too good.

And stop stopping because stop stopping it, stopper.

19 minutes ago, Player2 said:

"We all need to leave this game. It's too good."

And stop stopping because stop stopping it, stopper.

Hold up a second. Before we rule on bacon we must decide what "bacon" is. There are Brits AND Canadians around.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

On 3/14/2024 at 12:53 PM, temnix said:

There are so many multiplayer online games old and new that I detest from the first sight, that are stupid, repetitive, unoriginal, irrelevant in all events, and because of that they are not dangerous. But a great deal of talent was poured into City of Heroes those 15-20 years ago, and that is what makes it too appealing to this day. The strongest asset of this game is its city. Paragon City and its suburbs, the Rogue Isles, are a vision of what a real city could be, to some extent what a real city was. Never mind Shards, floating isles in the sky and Pocket D that tries too hard to be cool. Any team can create otherworldly places. But a believable city that is a pleasure to be in (even without dogs, cats, pigeons, children and old folks) is a real charm. Plus there was Praetoria, and it is also glorious. It had its own style as well: except on posters with Cole the designers resisted the temptation to make it Art Deco, a natural choice for its theme that Bioshock adopted, for instance. They gave it a unique look, and it is still a pleasure to hover over it and look at the line where the distant woods meet the sandy shores beyond the river. And it is because of all these virtues that the game is a honeypot. It sucks away our time. We need to quit it. Not collectively, but everyone needs to make the decision for himself. I'm making this decision, because I'm dreaming away what is left of my life.

Now I'm not being coy here or talking for the sake of talking. There are moments of painful awakening when after a very charming time in CoH one runs into some real, true art in life. A dark kind of art or a light kind. Unfamiliar or well-forgotten. Either one is like a jolt. Just now I accidentally noticed Chris Rea's 1989 clip for "The Road to Hell" on a music video service and watched it, and remembered the song. A real city? "And a perverted fear of violence chokes the smile on every face..." For the other kind I had watched "Party Girl" from 1995, with Parker Posey, the day before, and boy, I never stopped smiling. The music is wonderful, she is so beautiful, and even in the opening credits the camera crawls up the stairs past all these weird, wonderful, goofy ravers standing about, talking, transvestites, weed getting smoked, DJs, and the funky tune is climbing all the way through too. And when you see something so genuine and smart and talented you earn to party yourself like that and be with all these people and make independent movies and have fun while you can. So it is reality checks from both sides - the lonesome truth of things and love, ambition, wanting to meet the world. And I am not coming back to CoH to move my tanker around and click on the same three power buttons and then come around these boards and talk about balance or brainstorm for some new clever features any longer. This is all a surrogate. It's a honeypot. Let's give applause where it is due - but then, applause was given those 20 years ago, and get out of here. We will find something to do.

Well so I suppose then, we wont see you again. If you found something better to, do then do it.

I for one am so glad CoH is back. I played from issue one till the last day. I am back again with the game, city and people I love. This is the greatest game ever made(or will be made) due to the community and spirit here! The devs have created a game ahead of its time and honestly at least in spirit no game has EVER caught up! This game has captured something intangible that all games strive for but none have ever achieved to the extent this game has!....cheers! 

20 hours ago, momentarygrace said:

For me it's books, fiction specifically. I start reading and I seriously can't put something down (if it's good), to sleep, work, etc. Eventually I went to work at a neighborhood library branch - great for getting the books I wanted to read without having to pay for them, terrible for being distracted so much of the time it was stupid. So I stopped reading books. I know. But I had to. Now I read on the internet, fanfiction sometimes, and I have to be careful there too. I stay up reading half or more of the night when I have work the next day. I work at home on my computer and while I am conscientious , I have to be careful not to read or I'm gone. It's addictive behavior, I recognize it, I know, for me, where it comes from so I have to take it seriously.

CoH does not affect me *quite* the same way, I can stop when I get tired, I can take breaks for days, if I'm busy with important RL stuff, longer. But when they closed Live, I was depressed for years not to have my vacation location available, and believing it was gone forever. 

Having it back just relaxes me as a fact of it's existence. So no, we don't all have to leave this too-good game, but each to his own necessity.

That just said it all... cheers!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

Hold up a second. Before we rule on bacon we must decide what "bacon" is. There are Brits AND Canadians around.

Those are long pork, not bacon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

53 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Ok, I'm willing to compromise on oxygen, but stop eating bacon?!?! Thems fightin words!!!

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

On 3/14/2024 at 12:53 PM, temnix said:

There are so many multiplayer online games old and new that I detest from the first sight, that are stupid, repetitive, unoriginal, irrelevant in all events, and because of that they are not dangerous. But a great deal of talent was poured into City of Heroes those 15-20 years ago, and that is what makes it too appealing to this day. The strongest asset of this game is its city. Paragon City and its suburbs, the Rogue Isles, are a vision of what a real city could be, to some extent what a real city was. Never mind Shards, floating isles in the sky and Pocket D that tries too hard to be cool. Any team can create otherworldly places. But a believable city that is a pleasure to be in (even without dogs, cats, pigeons, children and old folks) is a real charm. Plus there was Praetoria, and it is also glorious. It had its own style as well: except on posters with Cole the designers resisted the temptation to make it Art Deco, a natural choice for its theme that Bioshock adopted, for instance. They gave it a unique look, and it is still a pleasure to hover over it and look at the line where the distant woods meet the sandy shores beyond the river. And it is because of all these virtues that the game is a honeypot. It sucks away our time. We need to quit it. Not collectively, but everyone needs to make the decision for himself. I'm making this decision, because I'm dreaming away what is left of my life.

Now I'm not being coy here or talking for the sake of talking. There are moments of painful awakening when after a very charming time in CoH one runs into some real, true art in life. A dark kind of art or a light kind. Unfamiliar or well-forgotten. Either one is like a jolt. Just now I accidentally noticed Chris Rea's 1989 clip for "The Road to Hell" on a music video service and watched it, and remembered the song. A real city? "And a perverted fear of violence chokes the smile on every face..." For the other kind I had watched "Party Girl" from 1995, with Parker Posey, the day before, and boy, I never stopped smiling. The music is wonderful, she is so beautiful, and even in the opening credits the camera crawls up the stairs past all these weird, wonderful, goofy ravers standing about, talking, transvestites, weed getting smoked, DJs, and the funky tune is climbing all the way through too. And when you see something so genuine and smart and talented you earn to party yourself like that and be with all these people and make independent movies and have fun while you can. So it is reality checks from both sides - the lonesome truth of things and love, ambition, wanting to meet the world. And I am not coming back to CoH to move my tanker around and click on the same three power buttons and then come around these boards and talk about balance or brainstorm for some new clever features any longer. This is all a surrogate. It's a honeypot. Let's give applause where it is due - but then, applause was given those 20 years ago, and get out of here. We will find something to do.

There are many amazing things that are just flat out better compared to many modern and even other old school mmos in city of heroes, no micros and a full fledged true team based mmorpg are my 2 most important when it comes to an mmorpg if I am going to spend time playing one.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

There is only one correct definition of bacon, and they are wrong.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Player2 said:

oxygen is too good

The Science Museum I worked at got some emergency oxygen stations in case of visitor distress.

Our training in their use began with the trainer declaring with theatrical emphasis:

"Oxygen... is a DRUG!"

Some smartass immediately piped up with "Addictive on the first hit, too!"

I've been through CoH withdrawal, back in 2012. I was clean for ~8 years. Didn't like it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Banjo 1
  • Microphone 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)