Should folks who contribute get something extra?

Heh, imagine some really interesting donation tier rewards.

At the $100 level, you can unlock pre-nerf Burn for your Brutes and Tankers.

At the $250 level, you can unlock full XP for all mobs in Architect Entertainment.

And for $1000, you can unlock old-school Moment of Glory for your Regen characters...

• Haha 2

I lean towards no but if it were just a badge or title I wouldn't be bothered. It doesn't feel necessary though.

• Thumbs Up 1

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *MiHami Heat-Fire/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

On 6/23/2024 at 9:26 PM, Troo said:

Should folks who contribute get something?

I have no problem with the current system. This is merely a question/suggestion/discussion topic.

We all get to play. Not everyone donates, remembers to, or can donate. Again, I have no problem with the current funding system.

When putting $$ into a kickstarter there is often something extra provided.

One could suggest those donating to Homecoming are helping keep the lights on and funding ongoing development.

Yes, it is a donation with no expectation.

However, I would guess if we shutdown the day after a donation window, a good faith effort would be made to return unused funds.

Of course it is right and proper that those who contribute more get more. That was the reason for the prestige store in the original game. You have already heard contrary opinions from some very obtuse people here, though, and Homecoming is committed to some imaginary idea of freebie communism - as if even under communism people would not all have to work to share in the benefits. It's just that prestige perks should have been implemented differently, more magnanimously, for example, being mostly different rather than more powerful. There may not be a regular power that does both Energy and Toxic damage, but one could be fashioned exclusively for players who help, a good power but not overwhelming, with original special effects and sound. There wouldn't be anything unfair about that. And six months later, say, these exclusives would pass into common domain. But you shouldn't expect a reasonable conversation about this here. Homecoming is a group of modders, nothing more, with peculiar modders' notion that you can run a project on voluntary enthusiasm - well, of course they didn't make the game. And many players balk at the idea that those who pay "outside" the game world deserve something more than they who pay "inside" with time spent in the game, without realizing that when they play, they only play, not work. They have only played when they took the character to level 50 and optimized the Es and fought in trials and so on, even though it was a lot of grinding, without contributing one bit. They think they are improving the bed by sleeping.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 8

15 minutes ago, temnix said:

Of course it is right and proper that those who contribute more get more. That was the reason for the prestige store in the original game. You have already heard contrary opinions from some very obtuse people here, though, and Homecoming is committed to some imaginary idea of freebie communism - as if even under communism people would not all have to work to share in the benefits. It's just that prestige perks should have been implemented differently, more magnanimously, for example, being mostly different rather than more powerful. There may not be a regular power that does both Energy and Toxic damage, but one could be fashioned exclusively for players who help, a good power but not overwhelming, with original special effects and sound. There wouldn't be anything unfair about that. And six months later, say, these exclusives would pass into common domain. But you shouldn't expect a reasonable conversation about this here. Homecoming is a group of modders, nothing more, with peculiar modders' notion that you can run a project on voluntary enthusiasm - well, of course they didn't make the game. And many players balk at the idea that those who pay "outside" the game world deserve something more than they who pay "inside" with time spent in the game, without realizing that when they play, they only play, not work. They have only played when they took the character to level 50 and optimized the Es and fought in trials and so on, even though it was a lot of grinding, without contributing one bit. They think they are improving the bed by sleeping.

The Prestige Store back on Live was where you went to spend the prestige points you earned automatically from playing the game long enough. The other content that could be purchased was available to everyone to purchase.

• Thanks 1

It's hard to see a transfer of money as a donation if the donor receives something in return, it becomes much more like a purchase. While I have no insight into the agreement made with NCSoft I can only imagine this ventures into undesirable legal territory.

• Thanks 1
  • Microphone 1

A few questions.

1. This thread's still open?

1 hour ago, temnix said:

Of course it is right and proper that those who contribute more get more. That was the reason for the prestige store in the original game. You have already heard contrary opinions from some very obtuse people here, though, and Homecoming is committed to some imaginary idea of freebie communism - as if even under communism people would not all have to work to share in the benefits.

2. You still post here?

3. You still want to commit to bad ideas in doomed threads?

• Haha 2

Aspiring game designer and minotaur main.

Anyone can tear something down. The true talent is building it back up again, better than before.

My collection of powerset suggestions - open to comments and feedback!

1 hour ago, temnix said:

Of course it is right and proper that those who contribute more get more. That was the reason for the prestige store in the original game.

... you mean something to encourage people to *pay for a subscription* (or otherwise spend money) in a commercial game, run by the original owners and publisher for the express purpose of making money? You know, the reason most businesses exist?

And if you're so against how the game is run and so dismissive of the people who have run it and dug into it since 2012 (SCoRE, the HC team and others) - since they're "just modders," after all -  why are you here? You can head to Ourodev and pick up almost everything needed to run your own server (and instructions on how to set up the stuff they don't provide, all of which is free) and go play with yourself there.

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.

13 hours ago, Enamel_32 said:

It's hard to see a transfer of money as a donation if the donor receives something in return

Doesn't NPR and many non-profits do exactly that to encourage giving? (just devil's advocate to your premise)

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

17 hours ago, Krimson said:

Heh, imagine some really interesting donation tier rewards.

At the $100 level, you can unlock pre-nerf Burn for your Brutes and Tankers.

At the $250 level, you can unlock full XP for all mobs in Architect Entertainment.

And for $1000, you can unlock old-school Moment of Glory for your Regen characters...

And once we got $5000, you can choose to nerf Regen! Damned thing getting cheeky again, time to take it down a notch.

Jokes aside, I do believe this is more of a recent trend to have donators being more openly recognized in social media and elsewhere (Giving people Discord ranks in their channel or YT clips of streamers showing SUPER LONG LISTS of patreon donors in their credits), so perhaps this had kicked it off as well.

If you want to throw donors a bone, give something simple. A title on the forum, or a badge in their profile.

(Although I would also tie it to a agreement that this is a purely optional reward for recognition and the donor has no claim for anything, while also telling them that these rewards can be altered and removed at any given time.)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, temnix said:

Of course it is right and proper that those who contribute more get more. That was the reason for the prestige store in the original game.

That made sense when the game was a commercial, for profit venture.  It is not for profit now and will never be for profit again. 

Hard NO from me on this terrible idea.

4 hours ago, Paradox Fate said:

f you want to throw donors a bone, give something simple. A title on the forum, or a badge in their profile.

Or the game continuing to run.

Oh, wait...

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.

When I read the title of this post, I was thinking of the more popular names when it comes to leading content in game, not donations. 

My father and I had a bit of a routine discussion when I'd leave a light on after leaving a room. 

"Money doesn't grow on trees." 

And then, he'd also say, "Time and money are both valuable resources. Of the two - time is more valuable. I can accumulate money, but I can't accumulate time."

Armed with this, it's my opinion, while donated funds are appreciated, they're not the same gift as those that give their time to making the game what it is. 
Someone like Cobalt, who works behind the scenes quite a bit. Oklahoman, Cygnus, Titan Ice, Laucianna, (I know there are others, but these are just the names at the top of my head) that provide opportunities for humor and in-game rewards. 

I would rather league leaders get an extra emp merit or prismatic (or something like that) for their sacrifice of time making pop-menu macros. I've led leagues. It's a bit of a headache, and sometimes thankless. And the folks that are writing new content, or painstakingly testing various powers in that new content, they should get a little something extra too. Might motivate more folks to help more. 

But donations? Nah. People give for a number of reasons, but if it's a true gift, it is done so with no expectations, no thoughts of favors in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

You are wise beyond your years @Ukase, and I can tell you are a good judge of people.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Oklahoman, Okie, Vayne Glorious, Sooner Magic, Treehugging Wacko, Boy Band, etc

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

8 hours ago, Troo said:

Doesn't NPR and many non-profits do exactly that to encourage giving? (just devil's advocate to your premise)

Non-profits fall under a bunch of different categories, and while I've been involved in non-profit activities for 25 years, that's a part I don't pay as much attention to. (And I do know the feds do crack down on bad non-profits occasionally.  One I worked for in the 90s had their status revoked due to board shenanigans)

HC is set up to not make a profit due to agreement with NCSoft.   That's probably more restricting than going for a 501c3 even.

For non-profits like the animal rescues I've worked with, we can sell stuff, but that isn't considered a donation for tax purposes for the purchase.   And non-profits don't have to not sell stuff, there are just a bunch of different rules to follow to be considered a non-profit.  See tax codes, etc...  which gets more complicated with international...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ukase said:

When I read the title of this post, I was thinking of the more popular names when it comes to leading content in game, not donations. 

My father and I had a bit of a routine discussion when I'd leave a light on after leaving a room. 

"Money doesn't grow on trees." 

And then, he'd also say, "Time and money are both valuable resources. Of the two - time is more valuable. I can accumulate money, but I can't accumulate time."

Armed with this, it's my opinion, while donated funds are appreciated, they're not the same gift as those that give their time to making the game what it is. 
Someone like Cobalt, who works behind the scenes quite a bit. Oklahoman, Cygnus, Titan Ice, Laucianna, (I know there are others, but these are just the names at the top of my head) that provide opportunities for humor and in-game rewards. 

I would rather league leaders get an extra emp merit or prismatic (or something like that) for their sacrifice of time making pop-menu macros. I've led leagues. It's a bit of a headache, and sometimes thankless. And the folks that are writing new content, or painstakingly testing various powers in that new content, they should get a little something extra too. Might motivate more folks to help more. 

But donations? Nah. People give for a number of reasons, but if it's a true gift, it is done so with no expectations, no thoughts of favors in the future. 

This could be something that came straight from my dad’s mouth. You hit the nail on the head. 

• Thanks 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 6/27/2024 at 2:25 AM, Paradox Fate said:

And once we got $5000, you can choose to nerf Regen!

Whoa hoo hoo turns out this was a terrible idea, I can't apologize enough. Please put the big guns away.

• Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 6/26/2024 at 12:39 PM, temnix said:

I really thought you only started threads. Good to know you can reply too 🙂 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Troo said:

Whoa hoo hoo turns out this was a terrible idea, I can't apologize enough. Please put the big guns away.

Nah, it's not a terrible idea. Charities and non-profits and people asking for money on Kickstarter do this all the time. If Homecoming chooses not to, or can't because of their deal with NCSoft, that just means that it won't happen, it's doesn't mean that it was a terrible idea.

And, like you said, it's just a question/discussion topic. No reason that we can't talk about it.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

we all want HC to succeed and have resources.  Good try. 🙂 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

On 6/26/2024 at 1:58 PM, Enamel_32 said:

It's hard to see a transfer of money as a donation if the donor receives something in return, it becomes much more like a purchase. While I have no insight into the agreement made with NCSoft I can only imagine this ventures into undesirable legal territory.

You made the point better than I could.  I'm not opposed to the concept, but even some minor item given might be problematic in this specific case.  I gather Troo wanted to do something nice, and I accept the spirit of that.

On 6/27/2024 at 3:58 AM, Lines said:

That guy said something we disagree with! Let's get 'im!

...and his little dog, too.  Don't forgot the little dog. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/27/2024 at 4:25 AM, Paradox Fate said:

If you want to throw donors a bone, give something simple. A title on the forum, or a badge in their profile.

(Although I would also tie it to a agreement that this is a purely optional reward for recognition and the donor has no claim for anything, while also telling them that these rewards can be altered and removed at any given time.)

This is entirely too reasonable!  Stop it!

I imagine this would require some work on the donation system end of things: it is possible to click "Donate" and not pay anything, and no idea if the forum account is reported in the PayPal Invoice for the donation, so just clicking Donate isn't enough.  Also, folks who donate month over month being named more than once...

Could be as simple as modifying the donation form to add a "if you want recognized, what name would you like to use? 32-characters, must follow Code of Conduct, and optional."  (Don't follow Code of Conduct? Then they'll take the donation and just ignore the name given.) Might also be solved a different way: requiring a PayPal account to donate under a name so repeat donors are counted only once.  (Can still donate anonymously, just won't be asked for a name if you do.)

I'd venture away from in-game or forum/Discord titles for donors, and mostly in the same direction as the Staff Page: add a block of text at the bottom of a Forum static page listing donors for the last 6 months or some other sane frequency to update a list that isn't a monthly chore.

On 6/28/2024 at 8:26 AM, Troo said:

Something = anything.  I never assumed you were after cash shop or rare item drops in-game in the first place.

Edited by uninventive

Apparently once you set a signature, you cannot blank it.

On 6/26/2024 at 12:39 PM, temnix said:

Of course it is right and proper that those who contribute more get more.

I think you should may be go read more superhero comics and come back when you're more familiar with the genre.

Superhero comics are about imagining people being better than that.

The world is full of rat races and grinds and people being told that since they can't contribute, they're just fundamentally lesser beings who do not deserve respect, or even care. I didn't come here to see if I could find a way to make another place where I'm more important than other people because of all the luck I had that put me in a place to succeed. Yeah, I "work really hard", but people who work harder than me and didn't get as lucky get paid a tenth as much. And I'm not better than them. Maybe I get paid more, but I'm not more important, and me being in a position where, if I were ever fast enough at clicking, I could donate more money than someone else doesn't mean I should "get more". If I donate, it's because I want the thing to exist, and part of what I want about this thing existing is precisely that I don't get anything if I donate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Giving awards for donating would technically make it "pay to play" and I don't think NCSoft would like that.  Call it a hunch

The reward for donating is the game itself. It exists and donations maintain its existence, that is all the reward we need.

25 alts with all the badges!