What powersets *look & feel* powerful?

biostem

4 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

what do you mean by "looks powerful and impressive?"

Thank you for the reply!  I suppose it's a combination of how the power looks and how enemies its used on react.  For instance, the T1s in super strength are fairly basic and unimpressive, while the T1s in energy blast have a lot more "oomph" to their appearance and the occasional knocks *feel* more powerful.  As another example - the power "stone fist" from stone melee is very boring IMO, but the various mallet attacks just feel awesome.

• Thanks 1

I love Controllers. I have more Controllers than any other AT. After that, I have a lot of other support ATs. That said, my vote for Most Visceral, Powerful-Feeling Power Set is...

...Street Justice!

Quick, efficient-looking animations with brutal sound effects and plenty of secondary stuns and knockdowns? Awww yeahhhhhh. Pair it with Shield Defense for EVEN MORE BRUTAL SMACKDOWN!

Character portrait artist for hire, PM for details!

Commissions: Closed, Sorry

Second hand going up here for Mercs (audience boos) on an MM.  Why?  One reason: take the personal attacks and you get the aural experience of commanding five guys and yourself to open up on a target with machine guns.

Edited by Clave Dark 5

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Storm - PB/WS -lots really

High level electric melee - my stalker can Lightning Rod and then follow up with chain induction + thunder strike. If thinks get tough I can Power Surge and turn into living lightning and then do all the above again.

Electric/Electric Dominator flinging mobs around and firing blasts of lightning everywhere.

Fire/Storm Corrupter -- Rain of Fire + Freezing Rain melts just about anything.

Edited by Zep

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

35 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Five guys?  Which Hench aren't you counting, Clave Dark?

I'll be cold in my grave before I acknowledge those rotten Medics!  And before I learn to count, too!

• Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

let me add into the chorus for Super Strength titan weapons and War Mace and Battle Axe all 4 sets hit like a truck and sound like one when it hits something too, very satisfying feel to them

Energy blast especially energy snipe is fun and Fire theres never anything NOT POWERFUL about Fire.

Storm and Gravity both feel just powerhouse strong especially gravities Propel power which flings an assortment fo items up to and including Forklifts and Cars at people and trust me theres nothing more imminently satisfying then seeing a forklift go flying and hearing he impact as it knocks some malta sapper out of his boots,

Savage melee is also surprisingly fun and on an animal themed character looks brutal

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

I admit bias, but Mind/Fire dom just feels so powerful for me. My character is a demon lord, and with mind control's powers causing the head-gripping, tormented animation, alongside fiery assault's explosions and conflagrations, it's just so satisfying! It also helps that the combo is just broken OP, too. No other game lets me feel quite such heights of power fantasy.

I see people putting both storm and energy blast on this list, and they are not wrong.  But....don't combine them.  I had a 50 storm/energy defender on live who had the thankless job of keeping a blaster alive for most of those 50 levels...its a rough combination with a steep learning curve if you plan to team with any melee characters.  Powerful, yes.  Synergy (with each other) no.

• Like 1

Earth/Storm Controller.

These guys will literally rip the rumbling roots of the earth out and encase you in it, then hurl the thundering sky down upon you. Just when you think it's safe to move, a blizzard descends, a volcano erupts under your feet, and the air is filled with choking gasses. If you can manage to escape that, an 8-foot tall golem with a really bad attitude sets its eyes on you and demands to know what you're going to do about climate change right now, at this very moment. And he won't take no for an answer.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On Excelsior : Plasma Fury (Fire/Fire Blaster) - Prodigal (WP/SS Tank) - Terra Forma (Earth/Storm Controller)

On 10/22/2019 at 8:27 PM, biostem said:

So one issue I've been having lately is that many of the characters I've created use powersets that were chosen for their effectiveness above all else, (excepting a handful of RP characters).  What powersets do you feel look powerful and impressive?  I'm more concerned with the aesthetic than the actual functionality.  Your input is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Anything Energy. Elec Melee. Dark Melee. Ice Ranged. Stone Melee. SS. Kheld attacks. 

19 hours ago, TyrantMikey said:

Earth/Storm Controller.

These guys will literally rip the rumbling roots of the earth out and encase you in it, then hurl the thundering sky down upon you. Just when you think it's safe to move, a blizzard descends, a volcano erupts under your feet, and the air is filled with choking gasses. If you can manage to escape that, an 8-foot tall golem with a really bad attitude sets its eyes on you and demands to know what you're going to do about climate change right now, at this very moment. And he won't take no for an answer.

I'm now SOOOO rolling up an Earth/Storm!! 😀

• Like 1

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

On 10/22/2019 at 7:27 PM, biostem said:

So one issue I've been having lately is that many of the characters I've created use powersets that were chosen for their effectiveness above all else, (excepting a handful of RP characters).  What powersets do you feel look powerful and impressive?  I'm more concerned with the aesthetic than the actual functionality.  Your input is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

For me, it's Energy Blast all the way.  I love the animations and sound.  I feel the power rushing through me with every attack.  There are definitely better-performing ranged DPS sets (Dark/Fire/Ice), but none comes close to the feeling of Energy, for me at least.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Well, cool, I'm surprised to see so many recommendations for my personal favorite, Gravity Control. For some reason, the visual of massive bad guys, like Council Wolves, just floating serenely in the air is so satisfying. Then you pound their face with a forklift and YEAH.

Storm is another favorite, and it does some some splashy effects. You get Frozen Rain, Lightning Storm, and Tornado going, and things get hectic fast.

I'll add a vote for Titan Weapons, of course. It definitely looks impressive and powerful. I am told it is quite a good set, but I can't get my TW Brute to work. Maybe better on a Scrapper.

I have a War Mace and it is pretty satisfying when you bonk people with it. Has some nice maneuvers and has been good to me.