Tell us. What's your favorite Scrapper combo?

Crowcus Pocus

I am yet to find a Scrapper that I loved as much as my Claws/SR or DB/Invul back on live.

I've rolled a TW/Bio. It's stronk, but I hate how OP and popular it is. I'll probably never touch it again, even though it has full T4 incarnates.

I have also thought of bringing the classic Claws/Regen back to life, but it's way too clicky for my taste. /Shield bores the heck out of me, /FA is kind of reserved for a F^3 Tank (and I already got the Brute, so I'm done with FA for a while).

In the end, I know I will end up recreating my favorite combos. I was just thinking of what else could I find fun that would make me want to play it for long enough.

How about you? Which combo keeps you on full scrapperlock mode?

Warning: This post may contain an opinion.

Here's the ones that really clicked with me.

BS/Shield - good damage, awesome durability.  Some end issues early solvable with IO bonuses and accolades.

Spine/Regen - good AOE, fairly squishy and a challenge to stay alive in later issues, became quite capable once IO's appeared.

Street Justice/Invuln - A lot of fun to play and very good single target damage with the added benefit of a swift kick to the nuts on the bad guy.  Highly durable.

I had several others on Live that were good, I think I had 5 or 6 level 50 Scrappers at shutdown but those were the ones I most enjoyed.  Honorable mention to my first 50 Scrapper, a BS/Regen who dinged in issue 4.  Good combination but BS/Shield is just better in every respect other than endurance.

• Like 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Rather than chasing fads or performance, I find the costume and concept are what really draw me into a toon.

I also like to have something to do with my secondary rather than turn it on and forget it.  Which is also why I avoid IO builds until 50.

That said, I have a spines/ice that I find real fun and a new axe/nin that’s fun also.  /ice is currently one of my favorite armor sets because it’s not overly strong and has some clicks that make me feel like I’m contributing to my own survival.  Just couldn’t get into it without the minimal fx though. 

• Like 4

Guardian survivor

5 hours ago, Falsey said:

I am yet to find a Scrapper that I loved as much as my Claws/SR or DB/Invul back on live.

How about you? Which combo keeps you on full scrapperlock mode?

I had a DB/WP on live and one on the few characters I remember playing quite a bit after I hit 50.  I recently recreated here and remember now how much I liked it.  Lot of the attacks just have a nice solid feel to them.  I also like that it probably requires less recharge than any other set to get a "good" attack chain going.  Blinding feint-attack vitals doesn't take much recharge at all and holds up middle of the road in the DPS charts.  Lets me concentrate on other things and even skip hasten (unheard of I know) since willpower also doesn't really get anything out of +recharge.  Makes for a good solid "natural" character concept.

• Like 1

TW/Regen, be a true badass. I rolled one of these up as a challenge response to a discussion in another thread a month or so back and he's finally closing in on 50. He's mostly slotted sans some catalyzing and couple missing powers (Shadow Meld). I've already tossed him into multiple scenarios to challenge his incomplete build and he's come out on top with an arrogant grin on his face.

Okay, maybe it was me, but still. I went an entire string of missions last night before realizing that it was, obviously (not obviously, but really should've been obviously) +5 to me, and yet there I was sitting amidst the swarms of a double Council ambush on top of the spawn that was already there, swinging away. I thought "these should be dying faster, shouldn't they? Oh yeah... they're +5, my damage is getting super mitigated and I'm missing like crazy!"

There's just been something fun (to me) about knowing I have to be focused on staying alive at all costs, or one misclick will plant me. Do I have enough time to restart my momentum or do I need to wait another second to pop Reconstruction? It's not as smooth as when I did it with Claws back on Retail Live, and it's definitely not the auto-pilot mode that is TW/Bio. It's been my first real taste of Scrapperlock since Homecoming started.

• Like 2

Claws/SR will always be my favorite combo but I'm trying to branch out.

DM/Invul is very nice.

I'm starting to really enjoy my bio/em tank but now that I grok bio a little more than I did, I suspect my em/bio brute will win in the end depending on how the tank buffs work out. I suspect that the claws/bio scrapper I got to 50 and T4ed but then stripped and shelved will get a new respec and rebuild.

My "me" character is a StJ/WP brute but unfortunately that combo bores the hell out of me. Not sure what I'm gonna do there. I may just have to become a chaos mage instead.

• Like 1

Katana has always been my favorite, I love the animations and it is a solid performer as well.

Kat/Inv was my first scrapper and is probably my favorite, although I had most armor sets at 50 combined with Katana back in the day, and the few that were not at 50 were in the 30s or 40s. I have remade the Kat/Inv, but it is a story-based character, so I have been leveling them relatively slowly, turning off XP a few times, so I am only level 35 so far.

I chose to remake my Kat/Regen as a brute this time around, and that is working OK for me so far, level 30 now. Still love Katana based on those 2 characters.

I did play a Rad/Titan Tank to 50 that I enjoyed so I have started a TW/Ice scrapper to focus more on damage with TW, rather than aggro management.

I also like the Savage melee set. It seems fun so far, but I am only in my early 20s.

I loved my DM/DA back on live.  It was my first 50.  I started it up because it was such a black sheep back when toggles didn't stack and you could 6 slot recharge in Hasten. 

I just couldn't get back into that combination with Homecoming.  The magic just isn't there for me.  I've been pretty preoccupied with Sentinels, Controllers, Defenders, and Stalkers since the game has come back.  If Stalkers count, then Street Justice/Super Reflexes is probably my favorite of the ones I have made. 

I've leveled several Tankers but now some of my interest has been coming back around to Scrappers.  So I made a Dual Blades/Dark Armor that just works for what I want.  It's been 50 for a while but I've been slowly working in the sets I want. 

I've tried playing DB on every melee AT.  I've always loved the animations but never had a pairing that clicked until now.  DB/DA maybe that inspirational magic I wanted.  Its a character without Hasten (which is rare for me) but still has enough recharge to pull off Blinding Feint -> Attack Vitals.  BF -> AV is really all I want out of him anyway.  Maybe one day I'll rebuild him for some extreme recharge to push something more deadly, but right now the simplicity of it all makes me happy. 

Edited by oldskool

1 hour ago, Doomguide2005 said:

So has "The care and feeding of your Scrapper" been reposted to HC or do I need to go to the Live forum archives for that bit of nostalgia?

And the "Wild" and "Domesticated" Scrapper?

Edited by Call Me Awesome

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Murcielago said:

I didn't choose the click life, the click life chose me. 

Story: Ran with a team doing DA Repeatables last night and kept experiencing something that I seem to only ever run into with high-recharge TW based toons where abilities never seem to go off quite right. I can que it up, but the server kind of just hangs on it for a tick or two before going "Oh, right, yeah..." So there I was, bolting into a spawn of Banished Pantheon full of Bosses, Shadow Meld activated on the way in and I landed Arc of Destruction and Whirling Blades before the alpha started sinking deeper and I qued up Dull Pain as it had just popped as I ran in. And I sat there going "???" and I died.

Now, I'm all for accepting a death because I screwed up, or I wasn't paying attention, but when the server denies me an activation, that sucks.

On 11/17/2019 at 12:07 PM, Falsey said:

Now, that's cheating. There's always a favorite son, c'mon.

Has to be DM/SR, loved him so much that rolled another on a different server so I could play one on each EU server

Edited by Nightmarer
Typos, typos everywhere
  • Like 2

On live my absolute favorite toon was my fire/SR scrapper.  I built him to solo AVs in the early days of the IO system when that sort of thing was still quite difficult for scrappers.  I was incredibly proud of the fact that I managed to squeeze in both softcapped defenses and perma-hasten.  It was hard to, I wasn't able to take a travel power.

Obviously the game evolved, and the things I was able to do with him got easier and easier over time.

When I found out about homecoming, I re-rolled him as a fire/shield scrapper, and he's even better than the live version.  With all the ATOs and PVP IOs and inherent fitness pool, I was still able to softcap and perman-hasten him, plus all the yummy shield goodness that's missing from /SR.  

On Live it was my MA/SD, but then became my StJ/SD.  I had played tons of scrappers until I settled on my main.

I haven't really played scrapper much on HC, but I just started a SF/WP that is fun.  I'm not to sure about these SF/WP from a high end performance standpoint, but the animations on SF are cool.

On 11/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, Mr.Sinister said:

Rather than chasing fads or performance, I find the costume and concept are what really draw me into a toon.

I think there is some thing to this comment.  If you have a cool costume and concept as opposed to something generic it makes the character fun to play regardless of sets.

• Like 1

During the time of darkness and dispair, it was my DM/Shield toon that I often remembered fondly and longed to return to.  That soul drain -> Shield Charge to drop a full spawn every 30 seconds was so satisfying, and my insane single target DPS for soloing AVs was also just glorious.  DM/Shield It was the first toon I created upon returning.  Ironically, that toon still sits at level 29.   

Now I'm really into my StJ/Bio stalker (You get 1-shot! You get 1-shot!  You all get 1-shot killed!).  And also my soft-capped to S/L/E & Range DP blaster who just jumps straight into any fight and flips around the room laying down a non-stop stream of AoE chaotic bliss until my face hurts.  Technically,  neither of these two are scrappers.  But, lets be honest.  If I'm at the keyboard, it's a scrapper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow