Is work on page 6 ongoing or stalled?

aethereal

They are stuck trying to decide on the exact shade of Red and Diameter for the Giant Red Ball in Kallisti Wharfs Harbor, and whether the tier 3 power choice for Carp Melee should cause target to Egress lunch, breakfast, last nights dinner, "Milk Duds" eaten in the sixth grade and things never intended to be egressed or just have knockback.

Tough choices.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

14 hours ago, Marine X said:

They are stuck trying to decide on the exact shade of Red and Diameter for the Giant Red Ball in Kallisti Wharfs Harbor, and whether the tier 3 power choice for Carp Melee should cause target to Egress lunch, breakfast, last nights dinner, "Milk Duds" eaten in the sixth grade and things never intended to be egressed or just have knockback.

Tough choices.

milk duds? such an outlier. i dimly remember the goober wars.

• Haha 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

3 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

milk duds?

Well, for me the 6th Grade was in about 1975, so some of my dated references may ruin the humor intended, sorry. lol.

• Haha 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On 5/26/2020 at 1:05 PM, BrandX said:

Hey now.  I'm not worried about page 6.  I'm just looking for "Page 5 Panel 3, Scrappers now have Energy Melee"

🙂

Word bubble #2, "Energy Transfer reverted to old animation."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marine X said:

Well, for me the 6th Grade was in about 1975, so some of my dated references may ruin the humor intended, sorry. lol.

no worries milk duds, raisinets and goobers were all invented in the 1920's. The war raged from 1962 to about 1989. For awhile i though goobers were gonna win it but in the end the dark chocolate raisinets cavalry were able to dominate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

On 5/27/2020 at 9:28 PM, JayboH said:

Is it just me or has there been patches to live recently?  Just today it took awhile and I have it on an SSD

Maybe the game uses server caching of some sort?  They do weekly downtime, a lot of which seems to simply be Microsoft updates and such.  Maybe that causes a small delay when clients connect to a freshly relaunched server.

2 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

According to my sources, Dual Titan Weapons is having issues where the combo momentum is not working properly. 

Well, there goes my appetite.

• 2 weeks later
On 5/29/2020 at 8:58 AM, Galaxy Brain said:

According to my sources, Dual Titan Weapons is having issues where the combo momentum is not working properly. 

**talking to arms** i sling this way, you sling that way  WHICH WAY WE GOOOOOOooooooooooooo??

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2020 at 7:15 AM, Saiyajinzoningen said:

no worries milk duds, raisinets and goobers were all invented in the 1920's. The war raged from 1962 to about 1989. For awhile i though goobers were gonna win it but in the end the dark chocolate raisinets cavalry were able to dominate.

Milk Duds.  Always.  Goobers lost to M&M's, and how can you forget SNOWCAPS?

8 minutes ago, r0y said:

Milk Duds.  Always.  Goobers lost to M&M's, and how can you forget SNOWCAPS?

Sno-Caps are my favorite!

sno-caps-nonpareils-23.jpg

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

On 5/14/2020 at 5:50 AM, Saiyajinzoningen said:

i heard from a reliable source that tropical fruit powerset is around the corner 😛

The Tier 9 power being a Nice Hawaiian Punch presumably. 😄

• Haha 1

"As Nintova suggests, you can treat a tanker like a melee controller."

- Heraclea

• 2 weeks later

It appears at this point speculation has stalled.  The status of page 6 is rather like that of schrodinger’s cat.

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

1 hour ago, marcussmythe said:

It appears at this point speculation has stalled.  The status of page 6 is rather like that of schrodinger’s cat.

So kinda like that book that you might order from the questionable bookseller that seems to cheap to be true.

Does it have a page 6 or not?  Maybe.  Only way to find out is to open it and start reading.

Edited by Ura Hero

I'm hoping the Devs consider looking to players to help. Yes, they have a sign-up etc but it's not easy to interview/add people to the Dev team especially during a pandemic. So, maybe they will open a thread where people can post their AE missions and then Devs can review them and add them to game as radio/paper-type missions. 

Why don't the Devs just do this because those are pretty basic missions? Well, yes, they're easy but the thought and creativity will suffer if there isn't enough time to work on these. A player can put way more time into a mish/arc and provide accompanying background to it. The brainstorming, writing and thought process are huge time investments.

I think this would be a great option because the radios and quicker missions get repetitive especially when you keep battling the same faction.

Anyway, here's to hoping! 🙂 

It's been strongly implied that ncsoft is the primary hindrance toward that kind of open style of development, but at the same time the Homecoming Team hasn't expressly stated what their ideal development cycle or even what their philosophy will be.  At best, we're given hints that the Homecoming Team appreciates it when players take initiative to do detailed work . . . but not which work they'd prefer we focus on.

I personally think such delegation of tasks would be fantastic!   BUT it would require a set of very firm parameters for player contributors to work within.  Since the Homecoming Team most certainly can't reveal anything which is protected by ncsoft copyright, trademark, et cetera . . . the most they can do is remind us players that there have been various leaks of other code bases (-possibly- even the I25 code base), but that I26.x is entirely internal and can not be leaked, lest such seriously jeopardize their negotiations and put them in the way of legal retribution.

Where I get hung up is on the design philosophy not being expressly stated.  I've been privy to about a dozen major NDAs over the past twenty'ish years.  Generally, there wouldn't really be much of a reason (in my professional experience) for the Homecoming Team not to deliver a clear set of parameters for their philosophy from a strictly legal standpoint.  Doesn't mean there isn't one I'm not aware of, of course.  

It's probably more likely that it's an internal decision of some kind.  Which is why I try to encourage the Team to (re)consider publishing a detailed version of the current model of their design philosophy.  Even if they can't tell us -what- to work on specifically, I'd certainly appreciate knowing -how- they'd like us to work independently to improve the odds of our work actually mattering.  

But, yeah . . . world pandemic has certainly put a wrinkle in a lot of plans for folks.  Whatever internal efforts there may have been to do something of that nature are most certainly going to be delayed.   I do hope those delays also provide some additional impetus to encourage wide-scale delegation in the near future, though.  Essentially:  "Get all hydra up in here."  The more bodies working in tandem with clear leadership and goals, the more disaster-proof the venture can become.

The other issue, of course, is that based solely on the résumés put up on these forums; there was a sizeable initial pulse of interested persons, but volunteerism has dwindled.  I personally think part of the issue there is a lack of promotion and encouragement, but it's also potentially quite telling that maybe there's just not that many people interested or willing to volunteer any more.

All that can be summed up, though, like this:

. . . being patient sucks, especially when there's no guarantee it will pay off.  But there's really no other choice for us right now.

Not unless you're secretly a multi-billionaire who just wants to stride up in to ncsoft HQ and slap your entire net worth on the table and declare "it's yours, for the no-string-attached complete ownership of City of Heroes and all associated properties being handed over immediately to Homecoming."

But given cultural differences . . . even that might backfire as being woefully offensive in its abruptness.

Well, and a lot of the volunteering they want (when I read it) suggests that the only thing they have a use for is serious coders.  Id happily help with anything, but Im not a coder, not an artist, and not an IP lawyer.

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

20 hours ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

It's been strongly implied that ncsoft is the primary hindrance toward that kind of open style of development, but at the same time the Homecoming Team hasn't expressly stated what their ideal development cycle or even what their philosophy will be.  At best, we're given hints that the Homecoming Team appreciates it when players take initiative to do detailed work . . . but not which work they'd prefer we focus on.

I personally think such delegation of tasks would be fantastic!   BUT it would require a set of very firm parameters for player contributors to work within.  Since the Homecoming Team most certainly can't reveal anything which is protected by ncsoft copyright, trademark, et cetera . . . the most they can do is remind us players that there have been various leaks of other code bases (-possibly- even the I25 code base), but that I26.x is entirely internal and can not be leaked, lest such seriously jeopardize their negotiations and put them in the way of legal retribution.

Where I get hung up is on the design philosophy not being expressly stated.  I've been privy to about a dozen major NDAs over the past twenty'ish years.  Generally, there wouldn't really be much of a reason (in my professional experience) for the Homecoming Team not to deliver a clear set of parameters for their philosophy from a strictly legal standpoint.  Doesn't mean there isn't one I'm not aware of, of course.  

It's probably more likely that it's an internal decision of some kind.  Which is why I try to encourage the Team to (re)consider publishing a detailed version of the current model of their design philosophy.  Even if they can't tell us -what- to work on specifically, I'd certainly appreciate knowing -how- they'd like us to work independently to improve the odds of our work actually mattering.  

But, yeah . . . world pandemic has certainly put a wrinkle in a lot of plans for folks.  Whatever internal efforts there may have been to do something of that nature are most certainly going to be delayed.   I do hope those delays also provide some additional impetus to encourage wide-scale delegation in the near future, though.  Essentially:  "Get all hydra up in here."  The more bodies working in tandem with clear leadership and goals, the more disaster-proof the venture can become.

The other issue, of course, is that based solely on the résumés put up on these forums; there was a sizeable initial pulse of interested persons, but volunteerism has dwindled.  I personally think part of the issue there is a lack of promotion and encouragement, but it's also potentially quite telling that maybe there's just not that many people interested or willing to volunteer any more.

All that can be summed up, though, like this:

. . . being patient sucks, especially when there's no guarantee it will pay off.  But there's really no other choice for us right now.

Not unless you're secretly a multi-billionaire who just wants to stride up in to ncsoft HQ and slap your entire net worth on the table and declare "it's yours, for the no-string-attached complete ownership of City of Heroes and all associated properties being handed over immediately to Homecoming."

But given cultural differences . . . even that might backfire as being woefully offensive in its abruptness.

Well, that's just it. Devs would need to maybe have a thread where they post the parameters and then players can create their AE arc with all of the required details etc. So, if the posts aren't detailed (have background of the mish and any new characters - for example) then they won't even be looked at. If the posts include full bios and details then it is something that could be reviewed and considered for adding to game.

I think creating new content is difficult. Then add to the scenario a short-handed team and it becomes even more difficult as I'm sure they're responsible for many duties. 

I think we have a pretty bright community. I bet some of them could come up with amazing narratives, brand new characters, factions and stories/mission goals. The community members don't have to be added to the Dev team for this project. Let community members post their A efforts and then add the appropriate ones to the game. I think it's a win win for all involved.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

So, maybe they will open a thread where people can post their AE missions and then Devs can review them and add them to game as radio/paper-type missions.

This was brought up on Live.  The AE has a nice mission creator.  The actual game does not.  They cannot just take an AE mission and change it to a regular mission.  It has to be coded manually in the format of Live missions. 

I would love them to do this, but it apparently is not saving a lot of work.  We would just get better missions.