Wakies: Newb trap or useful?

Frostbiter

6 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

I just wish you could use them while not dead to get rid of them. I don’t do much inspiration management and they’re usually more hassle than they’re worth blocking my tray!

That's why I disable them for the badge progress on Aloof and the others. ;)

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

15 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

If you think you may fall in defeat, go to an area that the mob isn't set to be "neutral" at and go down fighting there. They'll wander back to their original positions, hopefully outside of re-aggro range, letting you stand back up. The only time I find Awakens useless is when it's an ambush spawn that takes you down since they'll immediately come back for you if you hit that button.

Is it just me or have some foes adopted corpse guarding AI? I remember on 2 occasions where I died soloing an objective in a group TF and when I was getting drained by clockwork, I found a secluded spot before my toggles dropped and soon after my HP.  The 2 that took me down actually stood there waiting.  I gave them a bit more time as I started converting some other insp into another rez to replace the one I was about to use, popped 1 of my awakens and a break free, got further away by jumping up onto those ceiling high shelf things in and they flew up and waited at my new location.

I was actually curious so I waited for a teammate to rez me and they didn't go away.

• Like 1

I've noticed it too. Enemies not always going back to the spawn point after beating you down. I wonder if the AI behavior was modified when they tinkered with it, kind of how like mobs run halfway around the world to get out of a patch power now.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

My emergency row is one wakie (big as I eventually get during drops), one break free (post wakie usage), two blues (one for post wakie, second for emergency post drain use). But as I've been playing more Tankers lately I've replaced that for the P2W ressurect power with one hour recharge since I rarely die.

Noob trap? Heh, it does what it is meant to do. Everyone - myself included - has had the 'smart' idea of using a wakie while surrounded by enemies and learned it was not a good idea.

A noob is someone who hasn't learned the game. A newb is someone new to it. I like to keep to the distinction. 😄

• Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Agree with the overall theme in thread.  As in not a trap, fight/pull from spawn point if expecting trouble, folks often guilty of face-planting while holding full trays of inspires, and have a set of inspires to rez quickly when needed.  Often that's wakie, bf, blue/greens.  Sometimes especially if unsure if I'm rezzing too close/might re-aggro instead of or in addition to blues/greens I'll first use 1+ purple/orange to hit the defense soft cap and buff resistance.  Usually I have to create the purples, maybe a short wait for them to drop in team settings or slap myself for not having used them to stay upright in the first place.

almost two pages and no Admiral Ackbar gifs or memes.. disappointing

• Haha 3

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Keeping Awakens in your inspiration is back luck, so disabling Awakens is in my automatic P2W choice list. I pick up a Rez temp power and just use the Rez powers that drop from the super packs if things get crazy. .

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

On 6/20/2020 at 8:40 AM, Bentley Berkeley said:

Im afraid you have that backwards.

No, I don't. If the only way you can beat an encounter is to "overpower" it then maybe, but I don't do that. I just optimize my characters and use a strategy that doesn't require the use of sacrificial lambs to shove consumables on to. The fight takes longer, is harder, and I still come out on top? That means I got better at the game on a fundamental level and using items to make things super easy doesn't improve my skill as a player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

11 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

No, I don't. If the only way you can beat an encounter is to "overpower" it then maybe, but I don't do that. I just optimize my characters and use a strategy that doesn't require the use of sacrificial lambs to shove consumables on to. The fight takes longer, is harder, and I still come out on top? That means I got better at the game on a fundamental level and using items to make things super easy doesn't improve my skill as a player.

Yep nope. Lets use another D20 inspired pc game. classic Knights of the old republic. One of the most popular "Challenges" players have created for that game is to not take any level ups after the first one is forced on a character, so that when they can go jedi, they have usually around 7 levels saved up to instantly go jedi with. To beat all the early quests as a lvl 2 character is indeed very challenging, and the main tricks most use to pull this off is strategic use of consumables. This is especially true doing the arena quests to beat Bendak Starkiller and get his special blaster, as only a lvl 2. It is all about skillful use of the limited options one has that allows one to beat the arena master as the lowest possible level( and about 4 lvls lower than the contents challenge is designed for)

Hell in PnP ones consumables and items are factored into a character/parties ECL( equivalent character power) So a DM is going to be basing encounter strength on all possible resources a party has access to, and thus those who never use their precious potions because someday will be a greater need then now, are far more likely to party wipe if the DM isnt pulling punches and expects the players to think and use every trick they have to survive.

Let me guess when you toss dice, you prefer point buy stats for character building instead of 3d6 in order no re rolls unless you roll a shopkeeper( lacking at least 3 stats above 12)? I only ask because I meet a lot of 4D6 reroll 1s and put them in any order types who think they know what challenge is but actually are clueless cutters and more barmy then this ol berk.

16 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Let me guess when you toss dice, you prefer point buy stats for character building instead of 3d6 in order no re rolls unless you roll a shopkeeper( lacking at least 3 stats above 12)? I only ask because I meet a lot of 4D6 reroll 1s and put them in any order types who think they know what challenge is but actually are clueless cutters and more barmy then this ol berk.

Two things.  One, if you have a good DM it doesnt matter how you roll.  Two, I hate HATE 3d6 in order no rerolls.  Not because of low scores, but, especially in Advanced or 2nd Edition, you were almost never gonna play a Ranger, Bard, Druid, or Paladin.  Fortunately I've always had great DMs.  

On 6/20/2020 at 9:40 AM, Bentley Berkeley said:

Those who know how to make consumables work to negate challenge are the better strategists and players.

Knowing how to thrive without a crutch can lead to being the one still fighting when everyone else is down.  Being reliant to and dependant upon the inspiration tray is a poor measure of "better".

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

17 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Yep nope.

No to what? Different games are going to have different systems, and in most RPGs being severely underleveled will necessitate the use of consumables just so you're not dead in one hit or can actually fight back. That's not a case of "consumables are for the real strategists" at all because they're being used not to make the encounter easy, but to make the encounter doable in the first place. And besides all that, I'll often be underleveled in those encounters myself if they have too many sidequests for me to want to bother with them and I'll still find a way to win without throwing healing potions around like they're going out of style.

You seem to have a total lack of understanding what the actual point is that I was making. Different games are going to handle items and their usage differently, but my point is that if you can beat a game or encounter without using any of the crutch items you're being given to make the challenge easier, then you probably understand the game mechanics better on a fundamental level than someone who has to chug a healing potion every other turn because they're too stubborn to look at the encounter differently.

Not using items forces you to look at your options and understand the risks that come with those options. Sure, I could just build a team of Mages that cascade waves of elemental death across the battlefield for 4 turns to nuke all opposition, provided I had enough mana potions to support it, but how does that make that player "the better strategist" than the guy juggling 16 different scenarios in his head while moving his pieces around the board to limit and corner his opponent into a situation they aren't likely to win?

You're never going to convince me that the guy stuffing an inventory of items down his throat to turn a fight into a cakewalk is "the better player" than the one that never took damage and took down the enemy with a pointy stick purely on his own ability.

3 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

Not using items forces you to look at your options and understand the risks that come with those options. Sure, I could just build a team of Mages that cascade waves of elemental death across the battlefield for 4 turns to nuke all opposition, provided I had enough mana potions to support it, but how does that make that player "the better strategist" than the guy juggling 16 different scenarios in his head while moving his pieces around the board to limit and corner his opponent into a situation they aren't likely to win?

It's simple: he comes up with an easier plan. Surety of victory is more important than jerking off. Besides, you're talking about tactics, not strategy.

2 hours ago, Blastit said:

It's simple: he comes up with an easier plan. Surety of victory is more important than jerking off. Besides, you're talking about tactics, not strategy.

Considering I play the game for myself, to no audience, and don't run around bragging about how I "beat the game with no items", your desire to claim that it's for jerking off is suspect. Sounds like you might have a negative opinion of people who intentionally makes things harder on themselves. Wonder why that is.

I delete them and disable them, not because I don't use them, but because they get in the way.  I can't get to the inspirations behind them without mouse-clicking and I don't like mouse-clicking.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

One of the few Day Job/Accolade powers that I try to accumulate is Physician: The power allows you to resurrect fallen allies.

The utility of the Day Job Accolades varies, but this is one that is handy to have without worrying about burning up the charges.