General Low Key Rants

Argent Aegis

Just some general observations/wishes that I wanted to mention (with a smile since it is just fun).

1) Spent some time working on designing an alt.  Made a really awesome look using the crab backpack.  Zoned into the tutorial, no backpack.  Come to find out in these forums that only the SOA can get them. 

2) Fighting in the streets of Atlas when I am facing off against another Hellion and along comes a truck.  I'm clicking my PBAOE and the Hellion ghosts through the truck while I get pushed, which results in my PBOE going off out of range of the Hellion. 

3) I smash yet another Hellion sending him flying off the wall below the tram.  He lands like a cat, where I jump down taking damage. 

4) I really want to blimp surf across Atlas Park and not slide off the top like it was covered in butter. 

So in summary....

1) I would love to see the Crab backpack be available to all AT's, clipping be damned.  (I really liked the look and powerset combination I made).

2) Any way that we can have moving vehicles impact the mobs?  Getting hit by a car should at least move them like we get moved.  Damage from impacts, I understand, would be too much to ask for. 

3) Falling damage for mobs?  Will make things like repel and knockback so much more interesting.  Imagine dropping a clockwork off a skyscraper in Steel Canyon....cool visual regardless, but can the Dev's make it them feel it?

4) Well...blimp surfing would just be cool.  Just that.  Imagine holding a costume contest on the top of a blimp. 

Just some fun thoughts.

Water Damage - Water/Ice Blaster

Atom Bum -  Rad/Fire Brute
Abyssal - Titan Weapon/Bio Scrapper
Razer's Edge - Katana/Bio Brute

I can scarcely imagine the overhead on redesigning or even jury-rigging the physics engine for this game to allow for blimp rides.

Would it be cool?  I can think of MANY really cool applications for such a change!

But it would mean a serious overhaul, to the best of my knowledge.

This is, of course, one of those instances where I would be thankful for being proven wrong by someone with more know-how than I.

I admit, I am annoyed we can't beat enemies via knocking them off rooftops and other high places, or couldn't be defeated by knocking them into traffic.. I'm not sure how you'd code it, but it'd be cool if anything below an elite boss took not just fall and 'collision' damage from vehicles, but took extra damage and could be defeated through it., kind of giving knockback a use in fights.

5 minutes ago, MTeague said:

if cars and trucks can hurt Hellions and Skulls, they have to hurt the players too.

And yes, I know exactly how homicidal that would make some of these drivers....

I think a lot of those drivers intentionally try to run over us players on the off chance that we'll actually take some damage.

3 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

I can scarcely imagine the overhead on redesigning or even jury-rigging the physics engine for this game to allow for blimp rides.

Would it be cool?  I can think of MANY really cool applications for such a change!

But it would mean a serious overhaul, to the best of my knowledge.

This is, of course, one of those instances where I would be thankful for being proven wrong by someone with more know-how than I.

At one time, they said that it would be too much work to make powers color customizable.

Then Keetsi (I believe her name was, I could be wrong) managed to find an easier way to strip the baked in colors from the powers and make them all colorable.

I wouldn't mind car surfing the streets of the city...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MTeague said:

if cars and trucks can hurt Hellions and Skulls, they have to hurt the players too.

And yes, I know exactly how homicidal that would make some of these drivers....

I was just thinking of moving the mobs like they move us - even something along the lines like in TES: Skyrim where they shoved or knocked aside. 

And yes - I have experienced more than one occasion where a car changes lanes to come at me followed by the car honking as if I got in the way.

3 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

I think a lot of those drivers intentionally try to run over us players on the off chance that we'll actually take some damage.

At one time, they said that it would be too much work to make powers color customizable.

Then Keetsi (I believe her name was, I could be wrong) managed to find an easier way to strip the baked in colors from the powers and make them all colorable.

I wouldn't mind car surfing the streets of the city...

NCSoft once said that having different gloves and books weren't possible.  Also that multiple auras wouldn't work.  But here we are with that now possible or soon will be.  I find that the HC Devs are here for the love or the game where in Live, it was a job.  Don't get me wrong, there were good devs then doing their best, but I really have come to really appreciate the volunteers that keep this City alive.

And....car surfing would be awesome!!  Maybe even create a badge called "Doing it with Styles".  Movie cred to those who get that reference. 

Let's get the helicopter propellers coded up to do massive lethal damage DoTs while also Repelling and Knocking the player-character back first.  That should be significantly easier to do, based on what my understanding of the code is like.  If people appreciate getting eviscerated by the helicopters, then we can look in to making the cars dealing damage?

6 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

Let's get the helicopter propellers coded up to do massive lethal damage DoTs while also Repelling and Knocking the player-character back first.  That should be significantly easier to do, based on what my understanding of the code is like. 

That would be really cool!  Every time I get a helicopter mission door I think it's a shame that I can just fly through the propellers like they aren't there.

Adding some electrical damage to the power lines would make weaving between them while flying more exciting, too.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

Aw, but as unrealistic as it is, I -like- to run along power lines to avoid aggro from the gangers below!   I've been doing it since Issue 0.

If we made those deal electrical damage, then I'd request a "Rubber Boots" Temporary Power be added to the P2W Vendor which would make a character immune to that specific damage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, FoulVileTerror said:

Aw, but as unrealistic as it is, I -like- to run along power lines to avoid aggro from the gangers below!   I've been doing it since Issue 0.

If we made those deal electrical damage, then I'd request a "Rubber Boots" Temporary Power be added to the P2W Vendor which would make a character immune to that specific damage.

Same here.  I consider the power lines my own version of an elevated train (well, I also run on the tram tracks too).  Maybe new travel powers from the P2W.  Car Surfing and Power Line travel?  

Take it one more step and we could even go as far as have a form of Power Line travel be a type of teleport/hyper speed where you become electricity in the line and exit at designated 'transformer' locations.   Yeah....undoubtedly too much re-programming involved with that, but it does sound cool.

14 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

I played today with a guy named Suicide Squirrel on Indom. I feel like he should be immune to that.

On 8/10/2020 at 6:20 AM, Grouchybeast said:

Adding some electrical damage to the power lines would make weaving between them while flying more exciting, too.

23 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

Not to be "that guy" (note to self - make a character named "That Guy"), but you would only get shock if you touch two wires simultaneously, or if you're touching a wire and some sort of "ground."  That's why birds can perch on powerlines without harm, and why squirrels can freely run their lengths.

As for me, I just want my 1940s era private detective to finally get the "hail a cab" power.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2020 at 3:25 PM, Argent Aegis said:

[...]

4) Well...blimp surfing would just be cool.  Just that.  Imagine holding a costume contest on the top of a blimp. 

I wonder if they could make the blimp an NPC that you can target and follow with a hitbox slightly smaller than the model?  Then you could kinda "surf" it by following it from just the right angle.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

On 8/9/2020 at 9:40 PM, Argent Aegis said:

I was just thinking of moving the mobs like they move us - even something along the lines like in TES: Skyrim where they shoved or knocked aside. 

And yes - I have experienced more than one occasion where a car changes lanes to come at me followed by the car honking as if I got in the way.

NCSoft once said that having different gloves and books weren't possible.  Also that multiple auras wouldn't work.  But here we are with that now possible or soon will be.  I find that the HC Devs are here for the love or the game where in Live, it was a job.  Don't get me wrong, there were good devs then doing their best, but I really have come to really appreciate the volunteers that keep this City alive.

And....car surfing would be awesome!!  Maybe even create a badge called "Doing it with Styles".  Movie cred to those who get that reference. 

If you get that reference it doesn't make you old right? Asking for a friend...🤔

• Haha 2

On 8/9/2020 at 11:25 PM, Bentley Berkeley said:

well in low level zones like KR a good KB off a roof can kill a minion or at least strip them of most of their life. Its a fun thing to do on PB early on for laughs.

That's the one thing I always appreciated the devs doing in CoH that our character's generally don't get a pass on in other games. Fall damage. No matter how far you fall, as long as you are at full health your character won't die. That doesn't mean that a mugger in an alley can't throw a rock and take your last HP... but the fall itself won't kill you.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

40 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

That's the one thing I always appreciated the devs doing in CoH that our character's generally don't get a pass on in other games. Fall damage. No matter how far you fall, as long as you are at full health your character won't die. That doesn't mean that a mugger in an alley can't throw a rock and take your last HP... but the fall itself won't kill you.

Now I'm getting nostalgic for all those lvl 1 wood elf corpses splatted all around the ground around Kelethin back in EverQuest.

Or the occaionsal low-level Erudite Shadowknight / Necromancer corpse who fell into the Hole.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 12:56 PM, Nerio72 said:

If you get that reference it doesn't make you old right? Asking for a friend...🤔

Uh....no...no it certainly does not..

Maybe your friend is just really well versed in 80's movies.

Says the guy whose avatar is from an 80's cartoon.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 2:25 PM, Argent Aegis said:

1) I would love to see the Crab backpack be available to all AT's, clipping be damned.  (I really liked the look and powerset combination I made).

I'd love to make the SoA without the backpack, but apparently, that can't be done either. 

Edited by Ukase
typo

Low key rants? Hmmm...well...

...the blue in my rocket boots could be bluer

...the ears of the Tsoo are not 100% anatomically correct.

...I want mission doors to have more stained glass.

...power X should be more like power Y so that I can chain power Q into my Uber nuke in order to finish ITF in 3 seconds.

...and the trees don’t wave enough in the wind.

(I honestly have zero complaints about the game. I’d like to be able to purchase more AE slots, but I can always make new accounts for that).

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

18 minutes ago, cranebump said:

(I honestly have zero complaints about the game. I’d like to be able to purchase more AE slots, but I can always make new accounts for that).

Get on discord the AE channel in HC or maybe the forum here for it, as a GM how to get more slots, I have seen them give people more just not sure what you need to provide.

And yes to more stained glass 😁

4 hours ago, cranebump said:

This game is without a doubt great!!  I tend to find myself using what free time out of RL here on my computer.  There are so many things about this game, especially on HC, that is so right.

I just thought some sharing some goofy suggestions that would not be unbalancing to the game would fun.

Just a few more:

1)  Be able to change the color of power slide power.  Cool power, but purple does not color coordinate well with many of my costumes and many path auras just don't cover it up well. 

2)  Any chance of having some changing facial expressions?  Sometimes it's creepy having a contact explain how the city can be coming to a fiery and painful end while all the time grinning at you. 

3)  More vocals like in the new(?) Galaxy City tutorial.  I remember on Live coming back after a hiatus (kids being born) and going "WHHAAATTT!!!" when I heard an actual voice.  Note to self...go play that tutorial again, I don't think I have done it on HC yet.

This one is not as goofy, but yes, more AE slots would be nice.  Not many because there are enough farms out there (guilty on contributing to that count), but maybe more slots given for story only content.   Maybe even server specific slots or even account specific that would only be able to be run by, and invited into, by the author?

OK - enough of the serious stuff.

How about a restaurant instance where heroes/villians can have a food fight?  I can see the billboards now.   Have a beef with someone?  Come to Up Chucks and throw it at them!

Edited by Argent Aegis
added a not