Page 6 Preview: Sonic Manipulation, Game Balance, Piecemeal's Workshop of Horrors

Jimmy

• City Council
3 hours ago, josh1622 said:

Any chance we can get some more specific numbers for the set?  Or will that have to wait for open beta?  Looks interesting.

Not until it hits test. And that's not because we're trying to hide them, it's just not convenient at all to post something like that on the forum (try using the tables.. it's not fun). If there's a specific number you're after I can look it up.

3 hours ago, Luminara said:

I've never seen anyone, in my entire life, so fascinated with his own nipples.  Look at him!  He can't take his eyes off of his nipples!  He's deliberately not blinking so he doesn't miss a moment of nipple action!

@Jimmy, we need to talk about your nipple problem.  Stop by my office before you leave.

ehm

39 minutes ago, Morgahn said:

Any chance there's Energy Melee being worked on in the near future?

It's in Page 6.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

4 hours ago, arcaneholocaust said:

I would assume it might have more to do with how insanely powerful the recov/absorb toggles are, AoE controls being better than controller/dominator versions in some ways, how widely tactical arrow is talked about like it's trick arrow but better, etc. Blasters are in an insanely good place and I can't imagine them being on the "needing buffs" end of the balance spectrum.

Lol the absorb toggles on blaster are extremely horrible. For an AT that has no innate defense/resistance especially the absorb value is WAYYYY too low when even a minnions low level attack will damage more than absorb shield is for.

What they need to do is make the absorb amount 4 times bigger, but then make its proc rate slower to compensate so at least that way it would actually give you some protection.

4 hours ago, Lines said:

This coming from the person who started this thread's specific derailment.

4 hours ago, Luminara said:

I've never seen anyone, in my entire life, so fascinated with his own nipples.  Look at him!  He can't take his eyes off of his nipples!  He's deliberately not blinking so he doesn't miss a moment of nipple action!

@Jimmy, we need to talk about your nipple problem.  Stop by my office before you leave.

It appears he covered the bad nipple.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

Hey, now, I just made an innocent comment expressing my appreciation for a particularly nice phrasing, and next thing I know, I've got Johnny Carson asking if my bad nipple does any celebrity impersonations and Walter Cronkite trying to get an exclusive interview.

I'm the victim here!

😇

Pics or it don't count.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Not until it hits test. And that's not because we're trying to hide them, it's just not convenient at all to post something like that on the forum (try using the tables.. it's not fun). If there's a specific number you're after I can look it up.

Nothing specific.  I just want to see it all so I can start theory crafting builds.  I can wait.

I know Blasters are near the top of classes to play.

And I appreciate all the hard work you do to make this game better including all the new powers.

But, MAN!  I was really hoping this Sonic Power was a new Controller Primary.  It's cool though, I am okay.  It's not like I am a Controller-holic and looking for a new fix....*twitch* .. no, not at all*twitch**twitch*

• Like 2

7 hours ago, zenblack said:

So, I hope you balanced all other Secondaries with this template, because this is just ridiculous to get on a Blaster. This is without knowing the numbers but a +Res, -Res, High Damage AOE as just highlights it's got all the toys.

Did you mean to have Deafening Wave in your quote?  Earsplitter isn't the aoe. 

Notice the +resist is smashing and not lethal. I bet that's intentional (and it'll be hell to mod for with 3 set categories to choose from) 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, zenblack said:

Hmm. Just some feedback regarding Sonic Manipulation. A lot of the game you're fighting robots, aliens, etc and other things which may or may not get "Migraines." Perhaps this could be renamed to "Disruption", "Pressure", or "Hum" that can be applied to anything as it's more universal.

Honestly, I assume it's an in joke from CoH history. The original graphics for Sonic Resonance buff/debuff were a perfect trigger for sufferers of visual-trigger migraine headaches, literally hospitalizing some players and causing lost work for others. One friend of mine destroyed a keyboard because they were buffed with sonic rings during a raid; they couldn't make them out through the other glows until they became violently ill and had to get their spouse to drive them to the hospital.
Interestingly, epileptics loved it, as reportedly epilepsy sufferers have more trouble with Force Field. The graphics were toned down in Test after numerous reports that they were a problem but not changed, leaving them as a trap for many players and an almost invisible, underwhelming shimmer for everyone else. A year and a half later after constant complaints, they were changed to their current orange halo form.

• Like 4

Nice! Been wanting a sonic secondary since the set came out. A little worried about what may happen to /Ice since I've never really noticed it being underpowered or anything. It has a nice little bag of tricks in it.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

12 hours ago, WindDemon21 said:

Lol the absorb toggles on blaster are extremely horrible. For an AT that has no innate defense/resistance especially the absorb value is WAYYYY too low when even a minnions low level attack will damage more than absorb shield is for.

What they need to do is make the absorb amount 4 times bigger, but then make its proc rate slower to compensate so at least that way it would actually give you some protection.

So you want a universal AT? 

I thought blaster already is.

Also 4 times bigger? Wth are you a tank? 

Blasters shouldnt have absorb to begin with. 

Read the AT's description. 

Best damage dealers /squishy

10 hours ago, Replacement said:

Did you mean to have Deafening Wave in your quote?  Earsplitter isn't the aoe. 

Notice the +resist is smashing and not lethal. I bet that's intentional (and it'll be hell to mod for with 3 set categories to choose from) 

You're right. I got sucked into the far-away land of Tyranny and balance before I could correct it. Deafening Wave is what I was refering to. Though that T9 could be very interesting depending on how long it takes to animate.

13 hours ago, Tacheyon said:

I know Blasters are near the top of classes to play.

And I appreciate all the hard work you do to make this game better including all the new powers.

But, MAN!  I was really hoping this Sonic Power was a new Controller Primary.  It's cool though, I am okay.  It's not like I am a Controller-holic and looking for a new fix....*twitch* .. no, not at all*twitch**twitch*

Look at all of the hold options in there!! My Illusion controller is jelly.

12 hours ago, J-Naught said:

Honestly, I assume it's an in joke from CoH history. 

That was my first thought seeing the side effect called migraine too.  "Oh look, sonic powers giving people headaches is back."

That being said, while I wouldn't be upset if they changed it for realism concerns... it's far from the only game mechanic that would be up for examination.

6 hours ago, Phoenix' said:

So you want a universal AT? 

I thought blaster already is.

Also 4 times bigger? Wth are you a tank? 

Blasters shouldnt have absorb to begin with. 

Read the AT's description. 

Best damage dealers /squishy

No, what i was saying was that since they DON'T have defense/resistance abilities as well, that tiny amount of absorb basically does nothing.

What I DID say was to increase the absorb amount, BUT also increase the proc time on the absorb, so it's still the same amount of absorb/second, but actually has a useful value amount of absorb to actually do something when it procs on.

1 hour ago, WindDemon21 said:

No, what i was saying was that since they DON'T have defense/resistance abilities as well, that tiny amount of absorb basically does nothing.

What I DID say was to increase the absorb amount, BUT also increase the proc time on the absorb, so it's still the same amount of absorb/second, but actually has a useful value amount of absorb to actually do something when it procs on.

The problem with this is that the absorb was designed specifically the way it was for the purpose of sustain. It's designed, intentionally, to be a small but frequent value as it's supposed to help you shrug off/recover from a lot of small, constant hits, and in many cases recover when you get some breathing room between spawns.

It's not just Blasters, either. Blasters just got it universally because it was a good catch all fix for some of the problems they had, that also went well with the concept of Defiance. 

A lot of the newer armor sets were also intentionally given some kind of ability that helps sustain for this reason. I can't remember exactly *when* but I think it was BABs that mentioned they had an epiphany in regards to a lot of the power sets that people considered 'good' all having one thing in common: Small but constant HP (also energy) recovery in some form. Be it a passive, a toggle, or a recovering click.

Edited by XaoGarrent
  • Confused 1

On 9/20/2020 at 2:22 PM, Jimmy said:

• SonicManipulation_DeafeningCry.png.1ed9159d34ebd539dbc79579b21c6f71.png T5: Deafening Wave (Melee (AoE), High DMG(Sonic/Energy), chance for Hold)
    • You create a large field of sonic waves, causing damage to all foes around you. It has a moderate chance of causing migraines, leaving them shaking in pain and helpless. Recharge: Slow

Guessing the "Sonic" damage is a typo @Jimmy😄

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, XaoGarrent said:

The problem with this is that the absorb was designed specifically the way it was for the purpose of sustain. It's designed, intentionally, to be a small but frequent value as it's supposed to help you shrug off/recover from a lot of small, constant hits, and in many cases recover when you get some breathing room between spawns.

It's not just Blasters, either. Blasters just got it universally because it was a good catch all fix for some of the problems they had, that also went well with the concept of Defiance. 

A lot of the newer armor sets were also intentionally given some kind of ability that helps sustain for this reason. I can't remember exactly *when* but I think it was BABs that mentioned they had an epiphany in regards to a lot of the power sets that people considered 'good' all having one thing in common: Small but constant HP (also energy) recovery in some form. Be it a passive, a toggle, or a recovering click.

Absorb over time powers that refresh quickly work as you describe.  The other Absorb powers work much like a HP buff that ignores the cap and doesn't affect Regen.

As for Blasters... most Blaster secondaries don't get any Absorb.  Unless they are changing that in Page 6, the count will be 8 +Regen, 5 Absorb-over-time and 1 Heal-over-time.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, csr said:

Absorb over time powers that refresh quickly work as you describe.  The other Absorb powers work much like a HP buff that ignores the cap and doesn't affect Regen.

As for Blasters... most Blaster secondaries don't get any Absorb.  Unless they are changing that in Page 6, the count will be 8 +Regen, 5 Absorb-over-time and 1 Heal-over-time.

Please use reading comprehension.

• Confused 1