General Feedback: Issue 27, Page 1

Jimmy

• City Council

Patch Notes for October 24th, 2020 - Issue 27: Second Chances, Page 1 (Build 1)

Please use this threads to discuss any changes not covered by any of the focused feedback threads.

Any feedback relating to a change covered by a focused feedback thread will be removed from this thread.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Customization for Warshades' new [Starless Step] power is broken. Instead of the usual "Color Tintable" you're simply given the option "Dark" and then no matter what colors you select, the power just has no animation at all. If you select the default colors/animation though, it works normally.

Katanas are still broken (only the user can see them, except for briefly during animations - otherwise, your character appears to all other players as though your hands are empty). It seems that Ninja Tool Mastery sentinels finally get to wield weapons though, so there's at least been some change there!

Edited by Rikti

Looks like you guys have put a lot of thought and effort into this.  Any minor reservations I might have are placated by the existence of a "Womp Womp" badge.  (Everyone needs more womp womp!)  Thank you.

I am curious.  Do the Homecoming developers ever interact with original developers from Cryptic or Paragon Studios?  (Heck, are any of you former paid CoH developers?)  I don't necessarily mean coding, but might you also have contacts for background information, feedback, and design review?  I understand you might not be able to answer this question due to legal complexities in regards to both NCSoft and maybe non-compete clauses which engineers might have with their full-time job.  But if you can answer, please do.

Edited by cohRock

-- Rock

The profanity and copyright filter is now checked during character creation (this is the same behaviour as live - it just wasn't activated)

Will there be an effort to remove all names that are copyrighted, even if the character itself is dissimilar to the copyrighted character? I had always assumed that there was a GM-driven fuzzy element to this and a filter wouldn't likely be able to reflect that. For example, if you make a character named Superman you're likely to lose that name regardless of the concept, but a character named Parasite who is a woman in a cape might be allowed to pass. 

Apologies if this should have gone in another thread, I didn't see one that seemed to fit the 'Other Changes'. 

Edit: I want to make clear that I'm all about compliance with this rule--my question isn't meant to drive complaints, just to clarify the GM's expectations so that I and my friends in similar situations can start working on new names now, rather than getting surprised later on. 

Edited by becket
  • Like 3

One minor thing - personally, I'm not fond of redside portals being... well, red. It looks less "portal" and more "step here and be disintigrated." But that's me.

(Related minor thing - it was really nice having the nerva portal drop you by granny bedlam to drop off salvage. Granted, it just means you hop in the water and swim for a bit, but still.)

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

• City Council
1 hour ago, Rikti said:

Customization for Warshades' new [Starless Step] power is broken. Instead of the usual "Color Tintable" you're simply given the option "Dark" and then no matter what colors you select, the power just has no animation at all. If you select the default colors/animation though, it works normally.

Bug forum please 🙂

36 minutes ago, DreadShinobi said:

I did not see patch notes about any PPM changes, are these going to coming at a later time or being nixed? Just curious about the state of discussed PPM changes.

Those aren't happening in i27p1.

• Like 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Holy Cow!  It's a whole new game!

Seriously, the number and degree of changes in this update is staggering.  I'm going to have to take some time to think before I start testing, because there's no way I can come close to testing all the things I'd like to.

• Like 2

Regarding fixed bugs, I reported a couple small bugs a while back. Any chance they could be looked into? Hopefully they're quick fixes:

Edited by Keen

@Keen Stronghold (Virtue, Everlasting)
Hamidon Raids - Role Guide

We have always been able to define bind modifiers as lctrl/rctrl lshift/rshift. The notes on controller changes suggest otherwise.

Enjoying what I've played with so far!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 10/24/2020 at 12:08 PM, becket said:
  •  

Will there be an effort to remove all names that are copyrighted, even if the character itself is dissimilar to the copyrighted character? I had always assumed that there was a GM-driven fuzzy element to this and a filter wouldn't likely be able to reflect that. For example, if you make a character named Superman you're likely to lose that name regardless of the concept, but a character named Parasite who is a woman in a cape might be allowed to pass. 

Apologies if this should have gone in another thread, I didn't see one that seemed to fit the 'Other Changes'. 

Edit: I want to make clear that I'm all about compliance with this rule--my question isn't meant to drive complaints, just to clarify the GM's expectations so that I and my friends in similar situations can start working on new names now, rather than getting surprised later on. 

One thing to remember about names: In general a name cannot be copyrighted (hence characters of the same name, but different looks, powers, etc.) across comics companies. For example, when Marvel won the lawsuit against DC over the name Captain Marvel, DC was still able to keep the name for its character, it just could not use it on the comic cover (so the comic title became Shazam, but the character remained Captain Marvel).

Certain names, like Superman and Spider-Man are copyrighted because they are uncommon combinations of words that make them unique. However, names like Inferno, Parasite, and Gigawatt cannot legally be copyrighted because they are common, non-unique words.

Usually the issue is Trademark, which includes the look, background, and powers coupled with the name. If you want every single name used by a comic book company to be nixed, be prepared to lose a bunch of names, including some you have never heard of before.

I'm all for keeping trademarked characters out of the game, but draconian measures over names themselves can be devastating to players and completely unnecessary from a copyright/trademark law perspective.

Edited by nightroarer
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, EmperorSteele said:

General question: On a lot of the powers that have mez effect, the notes mention a change in "scale". Near as I can tell, this doesn't affect Magnitude, and I'm sure you would have called it duration if it were that, so, what is meant by "scale"?

Scale is duration. "Scale" is used because it's the baseline attribute for the power, but it's modified by AT modifiers and the level of your character to produce the actual duration in-game.

Edited by Vanden
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vanden said:

Scale is duration. "Scale" is used because it's the baseline attribute for the power, but it's modified by AT modifiers to produce the actual duration in-game.

Ah. I knew damage was subject to AT modifiers, but It never occurred to me that mez duration was subject to AT modifiers, too! Makes sense; thanks!

Since this seems to be the only place for feedback on "Other Changes," I was looking for some clarification on the following:

Profanity Filter

• Several outdated / reclaimed terms have been removed from the profanity filter

I'm struggling to understand what is meant by "outdated" or "reclaimed" terms.  What it sounds like to me is that some words that were considered profanity/obscenity in the past will no longer be filtered?  In general that seems like a bad idea, particularly because an understanding of what is and isn't offensive is going to vary greatly from person to person and community to community.

• City Council
1 hour ago, Blackbird71 said:

Since this seems to be the only place for feedback on "Other Changes," I was looking for some clarification on the following:

I'm struggling to understand what is meant by "outdated" or "reclaimed" terms.  What it sounds like to me is that some words that were considered profanity/obscenity in the past will no longer be filtered?  In general that seems like a bad idea, particularly because an understanding of what is and isn't offensive is going to vary greatly from person to person and community to community.

We were very careful with our removals. The first word removed was queer, which was a result of feedback from several LGBT people (including myself). This is what we mean by "reclaimed".

This then prompted a review of the whole list, and only a few other words were removed - including europesucks* and rtfm.

*I have no idea why this was here, because you can type "europe sucks" with the space and it isn't filtered (ps europe rocks).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

This then prompted a review of the whole list, and only a few other words were removed - including europesucks* and rtfm.

*I have no idea why this was here, because you can type "europe sucks" with the space and it isn't filtered (ps europe rocks).

OK, the situation on that last one is actually kind of funny.  Now I'm trying to puzzle out the original reasoning, which I'm sure will forever remain a mystery.

On 10/25/2020 at 9:55 AM, Tycharius said:

Found a fallen Gunner inside city hall, don't know how he got there but I don't think he should be able to be there, just to your left as soon as you walk in

I wonder if that is someone playing with Fold Space to grief people inside City Hall?