Focused Feedback: Stance Selection

Jimmy

I think this is an amazing idea!  But I have one potential issue with it...

Having a special stance that is active all the time may be a bit awkward in certain circumstances.  While you can fix this by having another costume, is there any chance that you could add an ability that can overwrite a special stance with the default stance so that we can use the default as the exception, instead of the other way around?

I hope this makes sense... for instance if I want to just run normally instead of dashing around like a ninja when I am at Pocket D.  Walk would overwrite it but also just normal running.  In the case of default (or any of the others, probably) you can overwrite them with ninja run, beast run, and slide, but it would be nice if you could overwrite ninja, beast run, or slide (if picked for the inherent stance) with the default movement on some ability.

Either way, I am excited for this!  If I have to use other costumes to change stances for this, I will.  It's worth it!

Edited by Ethereal Star

15 hours ago, Heraclea said:

For existing characters with beast/ninja run, can those powers be traded back at P2W for the new one, similar to what can be done with the lowbie veteran attack powers? 

Yes, you can revoke those as well. No more Ninja/Beast post for everyone!

Edited by Myrmidon

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

6 minutes ago, Ethereal Star said:

Having a special stance that is active all the time may be a bit awkward in certain circumstances.  While you can fix this by having another costume, is there any chance that you could add an ability that can overwrite a special stance with the default stance so that we can use the default as the exception, instead of the other way around?

I don't know if it helps the sort of circumstances you're thinking of, but the Walk power will override the costume stance and return you to a normal standing animation.

Thinking RP here.

1 minute ago, Lines said:

I don't know if it helps the sort of circumstances you're thinking of, but the Walk power will override the costume stance and return you to a normal standing animation.

Thinking RP here.

Yes I figured walk would.  It helps but I also meant normal running. 

On 11/7/2020 at 5:31 AM, Jimmy said:

• Inherent_AthleticRun.png.7b69ff39f84cadbbd7e613d65a27af3e.png Athletic Run
    • Athletic Run leverages your athletic training, allowing you to move at a higher speed and jump greater distances. It is free if you do not already own Beast Run or Ninja Run; otherwise, it costs 1,000,000 inf.

This alone might be very favorite change I've seen since NR and BR were first introduced on live! Pseudo-travel power for EVERYONE!

Thanks Devs!!!

• Like 2

@Jimmy I know I have given you all a hard time over the base teleport stuff, but let me say these are freaking awesome!  I am loving Athletic Run!  Loved the power Ninja Run, but always hated the Naruto pose, so thank you!

Question about the Stances - are there any plans to add other stances to the customization?  Like Villain Pose 1/2, Hero Stance 1/2 etc.  Thanks.

• Like 5

I tested on beta, and found a possible issue on a character with inherent stance set to ninja run, and has the Ninja Run power. Deactivating the Ninja Run power while running forwards caused the character to switch to default run animation. The effect lasts until the character stops moving or changes direction, at which point the inherent stance animations would re-assert.

3 hours ago, roBurky said:

I tested on beta, and found a possible issue on a character with inherent stance set to ninja run, and has the Ninja Run power. Deactivating the Ninja Run power while running forwards caused the character to switch to default run animation. The effect lasts until the character stops moving or changes direction, at which point the inherent stance animations would re-assert.

This can happen if you were in combat and turned on Ninja Run/Beast Run before you "left" combat (according to some sort of timer). You'd move at the increased speed, but do so with the standard run animation. I wonder if these two issues are related and can both get fixed.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

This and power customization are things that I just LOVE so thank y’all a thousand times over. 

I’m curious (though I think I already know the answer) of the possibilty of a sort of hovering stance would be, or even the possibilty of adding something like the Fly Stances as options to hover and fly? I’m sure there are all sorts of tangles but hadnt seen it mentioned in my read through of the thread so thought I’d ask. 

Thank y’all again for such crazy amazing work!!

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 3:45 PM, aethereal said:

I see that mainly for beast run.  Surely not even the ninja-iest ninja who ever ninjaed literally wants to be in ninja stance all the time?

I'd really like ninja run to have an idle animation.  Beast Run "seems" to have one (where you stand hunched over on two feet, instead of being on all fours), so it would be nice to see a ninja run idle animation with you standing but without your arms still in the awkward running pose.

Otherwise, my thoughts on this are OMG!!!!!  Stances in particular are something I've wanted forever, since CO really.  Hopefully others can be included in time.

D

Edited by stonehd

Great to be able to use Ninja animations in jumps and superspeed or when not using a travel power (so zero end).

I was hoping that "athletic" was a new animation set, but I like how it is working.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

A few folks seem to misunderstand.

If you want to be able to make your character change between different stances at will, you can. Just make a new costume with the stance you want. The stance is a part of the costume. You can have 3 versions of the same costume, all with different stances. 

This is amazing, and I look forward to using it on various characters!

Would it be possible to add "Hover" to the Stances as well? I have a couple of psionic/magic characters that would pretty much constantly be hovering even at idle, and while toggling the power on isn't exactly difficult, I'd love to be able to use the animation whilst doubling down on ninja/beast run and sprint/slide (especially with a customizable slide or sprint color trail) to move more quickly around town. Just keep them hovering at the lowest setting to the ground, use the flying version of emotes and apply appropriate up/down/side animations and it seems like it would work relatively well. I know it's not likely to hit the server with this update since we're so late in the game, but maybe for the next page? Pretty please?

• Like 3

Made a new character. Ran around for a while testing LRTP stuff.

Leveled to 20.

Went to the costume vendor/customizer in the pocket d.

Tried setting stances.

I can set them in the customizer, but it doesn't change my stances when I get out of the customizer.

Logged into another character previously made.

Changed stances at the customizer in base. Worked.

Went to the vendor in Pocket D and changed it. Worked.

Logged back into the new character.

Went to base tried to change the stance a couple of times.

Stance still not working when out of the customizer.

I know what it is supposed to do and what it is supposed to look like. It functions on a character that was made before the update. It is not working with a new character created to day.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:25 PM, JKPhage said:

Just keep them hovering at the lowest setting to the ground, use the flying version of emotes and apply appropriate up/down/side animations and it seems like it would work relatively well.

A hover stance jump would be kind of funny ... or at least funny to me.

I think it is a valid stance and the movement would be faster than in hover mode, so I can see why the fly stance would make more sense than hover.

• Like 1