My computer may be dying

EmmySky

Mods...if this is the wrong place, feel free to move to wherever you see fit, I put this here because this is the forum I frequent the most and I know there are lots of techy folks here.

A few days ago, a black line appeared on my screen behind the LCD (squishy stuff).  It has stretched to halfway across the screen now.

20201209_145146.jpg.935f3275326ac58f20bb7c5656f22cc2.jpg20201209_145153.jpg.6d3c4121c9d2139c6680f9a61dcef0f0.jpg

A:  Is my computer dying?

2:  Is there anything I can do to repair this with minimal financial input?

3:  Should I just buy a new laptop since this one is from 2014, almost 7 yrs old, and already performs like a toaster and I would love to dual box more reliably and other such fun stuffs.

Thanks!

• Sad 1

Some drivers can become corrupt and show up as lines, but that one looks like it is a physical issue.

If you boot into bios and you can see the line, then it's a physical problem with the display or the connection to the mobo (or graphics interface is dying). Unless it's a gaming computer, it is very unlikely there is a separate processor for graphics. If the computer was somehow jostled before it happened, it could be a damaged lcd, or worn cable (from opening and closing lid), or loose connection. None of those 3 issues, would I recommend you tinker with, as an inexperienced individual will most likely worsen the issue.

My personal, opinion, so take it with a grain of salt is this: If it isn't an I7 or similar 2.5+ghz proc, any investment in repairs would be better invested in a new or refurbed (new to you) machine.

Trademarked Name (@Trademark)

Hocus-Pocus, Assault, Joan (of Atlas), Homunculous, Ensorcellress, Seismic, Wolfin, J0LT, The Limit, Transparency, Fastball, Loremaster, Monkey-Boy, Presto Chango, Kazam

Honestly, depending on laptop, a display replacement isn't *that* big a deal - it's a little fiddly, yes - and perhaps cheaper than you might think. (Just did so about a year ago on my sister's laptop which slid down the side of a recliner and got pretty solidly shattered. Replacement touchscreen was around $50.)

If you're not comfortable doing that, though, yeah - external monitor should be fine.

I'd definitely look into drivers and such, though, first.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

OK, it just being a physical problem is excellent until it obstructs my entire screen....this laptop is um, well it doesn't have a lot of ports and i don't really have a place to set a separate monitor, plus the keyboard has issues with melted and sticky keys so prolly time to start saving my pennies for a new one.  As for what Trademark said about I7 and ghz, I don't even remember where to find that info.  

Thanks for the info folks!

I believe there are some light-weight ultra-thin monitors out there which you may be able to rest in front of your laptop's monitor without obstructing the keyboard.  I have to go pick up the spouse from her dinner party right now, but if no one else can track down a website with information on such a monitor for you, I'll take a stab at it later tonight.

In any event, good luck!   We can't lose you!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

In any event, good luck!   We can't lose you!

Well, if we do we can make a mission out of it. How many merits is Emmy worth?

🙂

• Confused 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

13 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Pennies, wait yet another form of currency!  

Yeah, we need like another ten game currencies for sure.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Like was said, try plugging your laptop into another display.  Maybe use a free HDMI input on your TV.  if you need an adapter to do this they're cheap.  Maybe this could be a temp solution until you get a new laptop as putting money into fixing a laptop from 2014 just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

• Thanks 1

Since it's a PC, due to it's age, and the other stuff mentioned, then I'd save some pennies. In the meantime, come up with a list of things you want the new lovely to handle (Specific games, apps, etc). Then look at how much storage you've been using on average. Toss in how you use it in general and give us a post to play with. You likely won't need Brand new, but getting something close to new is best for longevity. Especially when having the option to purchase a multi-year hardware warranty.

Personally, I still like having two separate storage devices in mine. A fast SSD/NVMe for my OS/Games/Apps, and something else for my Data/OS Backups. No less than 16Gb RAM and a Discrete GPU with 2+ Gb vRAM wouldn't hurt. No Chromebooks, No Netbooks, and don't buy it for the flare (I don't care How pretty the RGB is!). Beyond that, I like the 17" screens even though they're bulky.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345619753322&urlLangId=&quantity=1&color=natural+silver#!

2020-12-09.png.9b935ae5aeb345fe67f64129467ffda5.png

• Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Something like:  https://www.newegg.ca/westinghouse-wh22fx9019-22-full-hd/p/N82E16824569004?item=N82E16824569004&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwordsca-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwordsca-pc-_-pla-_-monitors+-+lcd+flat+panel-_-N82E16824569004&gclid=CjwKCAiAiML-BRAAEiwAuWVggi8cjGksimAxXFEeiNuDjsqepTnVdn4N5fWNFBfwgimHNnlpTBri3BoCv2UQAvD_BwE

image.thumb.png.878eddd93bbeb9db40e774f294e8a7e6.png

Then when you use it, flip it upside-down and invert the display using your drivers (I had to do the same thing with my mounted monitor, since the mounting brackets on the monitor were really poorly positioned and forced my hand).

• Thanks 1

I see this sort of thing all the time in my business IT department.  Without holding the laptop to examine it, I wouldn't know for sure, but it does strongly resemble damage to the monitor, as opposed to a software issue.   Really wish I was closer.  I'd have been happy to swap out the viewscreen and keyboard for you.  I don't know if you have the like in your area, but a flea market about 20 miles from me has an IT vendor of used parts who'd not only sell replacement parts, but handle the repairs for a modest fee.  I can just barely make out "Toshiba" on your viewscreen.  Vendors like him get most of their stock from decommissioned goods businesses want rid of.  This doesn't necessarily mean ancient hardware.  I've worked for companies that prefer to replace their models soon after a 3-year warranty runs out, and this is the kind of business he likes to "shop" at.

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

Honestly, depending on laptop, a display replacement isn't *that* big a deal - it's a little fiddly, yes - and perhaps cheaper than you might think. (Just did so about a year ago on my sister's laptop which slid down the side of a recliner and got pretty solidly shattered. Replacement touchscreen was around $50.)

Agreed.  The challenging cost might not be the hardware, but finding a qualified tech to swap it for a reasonable fee.  Keyboard, too, since Emmy pointed that out.

25 minutes ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

Something like:  https://www.newegg.ca/westinghouse-wh22fx9019-22-full-hd/p/N82E16824569004?item=N82E16824569004&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwordsca-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwordsca-pc-_-pla-_-monitors+-+lcd+flat+panel-_-N82E16824569004&gclid=CjwKCAiAiML-BRAAEiwAuWVggi8cjGksimAxXFEeiNuDjsqepTnVdn4N5fWNFBfwgimHNnlpTBri3BoCv2UQAvD_BwE

image.thumb.png.878eddd93bbeb9db40e774f294e8a7e6.png

Then when you use it, flip it upside-down and invert the display using your drivers (I had to do the same thing with my mounted monitor, since the mounting brackets on the monitor were really poorly positioned and forced my hand).

Neat find!  I was interested in finding just such a monitor.  Just the thing to go with this new, inexpensive Raspberry Pi keyboard computer:  

2 minutes ago, Seigmoraig said:

Bruh, I run PS1 games no sweat on my Pi3

I've never really messed with one I just knew they at least did those. I play PS1 games on my mod-chipped PS1. It still has a Vans sticker on it.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper