What is your favorite X/X matched character?

Many of us pick characters with a thematic pairing like fire/fire, elec/elec, and so on.

Personally, my dark/dark controller is a hoot to play with SO many options to toss out spawn to spawn in a team! Its one of those thematic pairs that layers so much down that its powerful even at base level.

What about your favorite matched pairs?

• Thanks 1

I don’t ever play “intended pairs” like fire/fire etc. it just feels boring and expected.

so I Try to find pairs that seemingly don’t match like nature/fire defenders etc. As for my personal favorite, idk. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Fun topic. I too tend to avoid matched pairings though. Apart from the 'too obvious' thing it's funny how often matched pairs don't actually synergise as well as mixed pairings. Some other pairings like various flavours of fire/fire can suffer a bit from being too much of one good thing.

Of the matched pairings I have played my dark/dark tank takes some beating (literally and figuratively).

• Like 2

I almost exclusively play matched sets or nearly-matched sets. 

Both my dark/dark corruptor and dark/dark tanker were a lot of fun. The corruptor has solid -ToHit so felt sturdy and could heal through quite a lot, as well as doing respectable damage. It also gets a pet as its T9, and that pet has basically the same support powers as you so it goes from good to very good. The tanker is tough, although needed a bit of building. I like that dark armour has control auras so you actually don't need to build that much that early as they basically make minions irrelevant while the damage aura chips away at them. 

My rad/rad brute (and stalker) were fun. Rad melee feels like it lacks crunch visually but is a solid set and rad armour is basically Regen with Resistances. It also has a lot of proc-friendly powers and you can build it into an off-healer if you really want to (or give it a blaster-worthy nuke if you don't). 

Storm/water defender is another one I enjoyed - not exactly matched, but as near as. Water blast is one of the better blast sets for sustain as you've got a heal and a lot of knockdown for soft control and storm is just pure oppressive chaos. Storm summoning possibly wins the award for Most Broken Support Set when you start adding in a lot of recharge, because it has three powers that look situational by design, but you can stack them quite happily with some IO abuse. At about level 30 it goes from debuffs and blasts to owning half the room.

Dual Pistols/Devices and Traps/Beam Rifle were both fun but I found DP a bit lacklustre and the animations are a bit too much for me. I know it's meant to feel like gun kata like in Equilibrium or other films of that era, but it makes me think of that Baton Twirling woman in Miss Congeniality. Honestly, add on a hoola hoop and you've got yourself a cabaret show powerset. BR, on the other hand, is simple but effective and doesn't go for overly flashy, even if it does sound a bit like a 90s printer having a meltdown. 

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

*Stops* 

*Thinks*

I don't think I've ever deliberately avoided it but thinking on it I can't recall between Live and HC a single character (nope recall one now a DM/DA scrapper) that was matched up like that.  Unless a Plant/Thorns Dominator counts.  None of my 50's were or are such pairings.  

On the other hand I love themed teams including teams of identical set pairs.

16 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

Prior to i27, I would have said Archery/Tactical Arrow.  It was an incredibly fun combo to play, involving some of the most strategic play I've found in this game.

Damn I forgot arch/ta. Yeah that's my favourite matched pair. I27 took a little gloss off of it but I'm still a big fan. I can't think of another secondary I'd rather pair with archery and tac arrow works with many primaries but archery is a really good fit.

4 minutes ago, Parabola said:

Damn I forgot arch/ta. Yeah that's my favourite matched pair. I27 took a little gloss off of it but I'm still a big fan. I can't think of another secondary I'd rather pair with archery and tac arrow works with many primaries but archery is a really good fit.

Is it really that bad now?

21 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Is it really that bad now?

No that's what I was saying. It's slightly less powerful but still good in my opinion. Mechanically it fills a niche as being the only all ranged manipulation set too. I had hoped that the inevitable rebalance was only going to hit esd arrow (which was clearly unbalanced vs controller mass holds) but the other changes are liveable with.

• Thanks 1

Bale Fire my FiRE FIRE FIRE EVERYTHING and I do mean everything Def Blas Tank Scrap Controller x2 (1 with rad) and Sent that blue flame starts flying the bad guys start cooking

Panda my Dark Dark Dark EVERYTHING yep scrap tank blast control sent and the best darned dark dark dark defender in the game =^_^=

I tend to build on themes for certain characters especially when they fit so well

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

I think my Dark/dark brute on live was my favorite. It was pre IO and incarnates and had a very complete toolkit. A self heal in the attack chain, endurance sustain, the enormous dark regen heal, some cc, and stacking fury and soul drain for damage. Even a self Rez, which i preferred over the T9 armor crash in the days where you could actually die. Still a great and fun combo, but not the God he was then with the vast viability of everything these days. 

Dark/Dark defenders (and corruptors.)

Fire/fire blasters.

Ice/ice blasters and sentinels.

Electric/electric (blasters and sents, again, with a nod towards brutes.)

Plant/thorn doms.

Hard to pick a "favourite" out of those.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

What's "thematic" all comes down to your character's backstory. 

You can go MA / Electric for a "The Last Dragon" themed scrapper who has found "The Glow", and can use his Elec T9 to even BECOME "The Glow" for periods of time.

But for the "matched" sets....  Probably my Fire/Fire/Fire Sentinel.  My Darkity/Dark/Soul Corruptor a close second.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MTeague said:

What's "thematic" all comes down to your character's backstory. 

You can go MA / Electric for a "The Last Dragon" themed scrapper who has found "The Glow", and can use his Elec T9 to even BECOME "The Glow" for periods of time.

But for the "matched" sets....  Probably my Fire/Fire/Fire Sentinel.  My Darkity/Dark/Soul Corruptor a close second.

Of course! You can make anything match via a theme and some imagination, though the actual "matches" are a little different 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm in the camp of people who don't really like to do matched sets, but I am a bit fond of my Elec/Elec Corruptor.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster