Things that make it hard to want to log in

mechahamham

2 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

Rude?  Perhaps.  Frequently accurate?  Definitely.

That's not what was said.  "Enjoying spewing garbage" or "participating in garbage" does not equate to being a "garbage person."

As an Everlasting player, I strongly disagree.  Every time I make a new character and leave general chat on, I regret it before level 5.

Your experience and that of the other person I responded to are not the only experiences a player may have. Just because someone opts to leave their gen chat on does not mean that they enjoy spewing or participating in garbage. It could simply mean that they, like myself, find it easy enough to ignore when things are annoying, but in general don't really mind having it there for when interesting/entertaining conversations are happening. I certainly have never had so many issues that I deem it necessary to opt out of gen chat every single time I make a character.

The other person apologized for the rude assumption of their categories and yet, here you are trying to tell me I'm wrong. There are people who exist outside of the two types they gave; some of us just don't let a chat (which you can choose not to read/be apart of) bother us so much that we can't just ignore it.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

39 minutes ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

There are people who exist outside of the two types they gave; some of us just don't let a chat (which you can choose not to read/be apart of) bother us so much that we can't just ignore it.

OK, so we'll add a third category: people who don't mind garbage.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

5 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

Seriously? Wow, so just being able to mind my own business, go about my day, and not even be aware of (or care) what is going on in the general chat means not minding garbage?

I mean, if people want to leave gen chat, that's fine, I have nothing against that. I take issue with the implication that those of us who may leave it turned on (for whatever reason that may be), are somehow garbage loving human beings instead of normal players like those who leave gen chat. Pretty sure players of both varieties can be "normal" players without insulting and being rude to the other side.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

37 minutes ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

Seriously? Wow, so just being able to mind my own business, go about my day, and not even be aware of (or care) what is going on in the general chat means not minding garbage?

How else would you term "find[ing] it easy enough to ignore when things are annoying"?  There's garbage in General chat; that is fairly universally agreed.  The fact that you find it easy to ignore = you don't mind that it's there.  You're reading insult where none is intended.  No one has called you a "garbage human being" except yourself.  There is a significant distinction between tolerating garbage, or participating in garbage, and being garbage.  I don't think someone is garbage just because they enjoy/don't mind garbage, they just have different tastes/standards than I do.  To each their own, but I will still call a spade a spade:  there is garbage in General chat.

Edited by Blackbird71
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

I tend to be the opposite with all chat. Once I’m focused on playing I tend to miss things in chat. PM’s stand out since they are in yellow, but even then I might not see it right away. 

• Like 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

7 minutes ago, Dazl said:

I tend to be the opposite with all chat. Once I’m focused on playing I tend to miss things in chat. PM’s stand out since they are in yellow, but even then I might not see it right away. 

When I am "focused" on playing I Slap the (created) tab NPC Dialog on to help me figure out clues on what room the goal is in.  The General chat above that?  They could be talking about billions being given away under the statue of the guy with one huge ball and new york being destroyed on television by a freak tsunami.  I would never see it as it streamed past.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

Hey look, I get you’re just trying to say that bad people can use general chat, but that’s like saying you can get a flat on a newly constructed road( nails and such). Okay and? You’re making a useless diatribe over a common fact everyone knows. The point is already made from others; either realize it can be ignored/this is game, or keep sounding like a broken record.  Or hell, if it’s so bad, spend your time /ignoring everyone on gen chat if it’ll get you to stop this pedantic dissonance

Edited by Seed22
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

41 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

Hey look, I get you’re just trying to say that bad people can use general chat, 

Not what I'm saying at all; this is a reading comprehension fail.  Liking/enjoying/tolerating "garbage" material does not make one a bad person.  That's a false equivalency and it's putting words in others' mouths.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

How I  handle some of your points:

Chat: I have a bunch of tabs. Broadcast and LFG are bundled together with team and league. General is separate as is Help. Plus tabs for a bunch of other categories. This works for me as it distills out stuff I generally don't need to see. I am currently working my through Ouro and I close chat while playing and peak back in after running an arc. I have blocked only one person. They were toxic brining political topics into chat and despite being asked to stop....kept going. BLOCKED. I am in control of what I see  in chat.

Knockback: I am currently enjoying playing an Energy/Energy blaster and have two powers slotted for knock back the rest for KD. Snipe and another(can't remember the name at the moment) that is a "Get the Frag away from me"  button. I have not received any complaints about KB and only a few times seen some go nuts about KB being used.

Content: I am on Indom and yes...there is a lot of 50 + content being run. When I do peek into chat there are teams running at lowers leveonels, that I hop onto. I did a lot teaming, TFs and raids early in the summer and just need some me time 🙂. So working on badges, bios for characters that are lacking them, and additional costumes for characters. I have a base that I am pretty proud and I find that as enjoyable as running missions.

Farmer: finally made one to sorta give back to that side of the game. Also looking at creating a mission as well.

Sneaky fun for me is just randomly choosing and AT and powesets and random costumes ...and roll out. I have two characters in regular rotation that came from this.

Going redside .... there I said it. I also did the entire Goldside.

Also ...taking a break from the game also helps me.

/e poofgone

I don't see what the problem is. You can play at whatever level you desire to, even once at 50. And +3 enemies aren't exactly a problem either. If your problem is that 8 people with incarnate characters will blow the content then make small teams. My favorite stuff is duoing content. Knockback is bad? Or course it is bad. I personally won't rail (much) against who use it other than politely telling them to slot a Sudden Acceleration in and move on letting them finish the mobs they scattered all over the place.

You see, it's your choice to use knockback. It's my choice not to deal with the mess it creates. You can't say you're entitled to do as you wish but I'm not.

Frankly this is all first world problems. I won't deny they are things that upset you, but like the definition of first world problems they are problems with easy solutions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arcane said:

You could also call them non-judgmental people.

ARE YOU CALLING FOR A FOURTH CATEGORY?  

• Haha 2

Well, which is it, young feller?  You want I should freeze or get down on the ground?
If'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop.  And if'n I drop I'll be in motion.

7 minutes ago, roleki said:

ARE YOU CALLING FOR A FOURTH CATEGORY?  

And then a fifth category: Belgians.

• Haha 2

Everlasting's Actionette 

Also Wolfhound, Starwave, Blue Gale, Relativity Rabbit, and many more!

Main drawback of a lot of knockback to me is things getting stuck in walls, and that isn't really the knockbackers fault.  I think I'd make sure I have a way to kill stuck enemies (or take teleport target) if I was to make a heavy knockback themed toon.  Something I do want to try someday.

Knockback powers to me are one of those things i wish a Dev team would go in and allow us yo customize.  Do you want knock back or knock down? It could be a permanent choice of changeable at a trainer like a build switch

so many of these things are just how the game was and what we have to play around. I have KB in one Dark Blast cone.  I slap in a KB—-> KD proc.  Costs me one (quite precious) enhancement slot.  Problem solved

29 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Knockback powers to me are one of those things i wish a Dev team would go in and allow us yo customize.  Do you want knock back or knock down? It could be a permanent choice of changeable at a trainer like a build switch

I wish that, too.  I'd even be willing to pay a fee at the tailor or P2W or whatever to have that customization per power.  However, once someone pointed out to me that there's another power set heavily tuned to knock down (I forget which power set) in the same way Energy is heavily tuned to knock back and Electrical is tuned to endurance drain, I realized there's a diminished chance of that happening.   It's a shame really, as it means we Energy users have to reserve one slot out of six for an enhancement to redirect the fall, rather than building out a full six-slot purple or orange set.

Ah...a lively discussion. Perfect thing to delay my workout a few minutes. 

There are a lot of things that encourage me to log off, rather than on, lately. And it mostly involves personal issues I have. Things I probably could handle better with therapy. Like, when I see a name that references an STD, like "Burning Itch", or "Glorious Bean Fartz", goofy names like that. They bug me. Sure, it's a bit silly, and might produce a grin the first time seeing it - but beyond that, it annoys me. I don't want my small mind to be led to think of such things when I play. I want to see names like Galaxy Girl, or Photonic Man. Your standard hero names. Or pun names. A time character called Lagniappe. Something clever, not sophomoric. 

I mean, I get it. I made a character called Thong Kong. What's sillier than a gorilla in a thong? But I've since retired the character and don't subject people to a 4 hour run of a bad joke. 
And, as I freely admit, this is a reflection on me, that it bugs me. Not any of you. You keep doing you. 

But the biggest thing that bugs me is the stupid drama. Needless drama. I will spare you all the details, but it's annoying. I would rather not play then deal with small minds. One thing I will share is - I haven't an issue with anyone, rather my issue is with parties that used to get along but no longer do. Sucks when Friend A no longer wants to team with Friend B, and vice-versa. And it's over something so ...well, I don't get why they're upset. But, I guess I don't have to. 

I'm on my side. Not either of theirs. So, I'll just solo. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/5/2021 at 10:28 AM, Blackbird71 said:

Not what I'm saying at all; this is a reading comprehension fail.  Liking/enjoying/tolerating "garbage" material does not make one a bad person.  That's a false equivalency and it's putting words in others' mouths.

No its not, thats what you’re saying.

• Haha 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|