This is wrong. WRONG.

Luminara

screenshot_210812-00-07-16.thumb.jpg.13b9f0b96d7d12ed26d6285fde3626f2.jpg

These panels are facing northwest.  Where Paragon City is located, in the New England region of North America, the sun would track east to west in the southern sky and the panels would never receive any direct insolation.

In other words, the sun would be behind the panels.  They're pointed the wrong way.

On the same rooftop, there's another series of panels facing southwest.  Those panels would receive insolation in the late afternoon and evening... if there weren't buildings right where the sun would be at that time.

This is really bugging me now.  If Paragon weren't already defunct, I'd fire the person who did this.  Twice.  With prejudice.  And a shoe.

😠

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 19
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

They're directly under Luminary's regular flight path as she patrols the city.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

3 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

I can't imagine they would've worked anyway, given that Astoria's been under a perpetual fog since the 50's.  Whoever put those in was likely an idiot.

10 minutes ago, Zhym said:

You’re more concerned with the direction the solar panels are facing than the fact that they’re on a building in Dark Astoria?

They're all over the city.  They're at every university, they're in Atlas Park, they're in Kallisti Wharf (probably in Praetoria, too, since the KW and the current AP are modeled after that aesthetic)... and they're all facing the wrong direction (due east, due west, due north... fucking due north! are you kidding me?!) and/or located in places where they'd be shaded.  As far as I've been able to determine, there isn't a single instance of solar panels in the correct (southerly) orientation and situated in a location which doesn't have 35+ story buildings throwing shade on them.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Luminara said:

As far as I've been able to determine, there isn't a single instance of solar panels in the correct (southerly) orientation and situated in a location which doesn't have 35+ story buildings throwing shade on them.

I FOUND ONE!  EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

95 yards due south of the university in Kallisti Wharf.

This is my happy place.

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I'd be more concerned with maze-layout office buildings and warehouses that couldn't possibly function as warehouses first, but...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

It's ok.  They still got their 30% government subsidy for purchase and install costs which were artificially marked up by 250% and paid to their wholly owned subsidiary panel sales and installation company.  So essentially the panels paid for themselves as soon as they were installed.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Haha 3

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Kudos to the salesman who sold them in Dark Astoria.

• Haha 6

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

22 minutes ago, arcane said:

Do you really need solar panels when some of your citizens can produce electricity or atomic energy with their hands?

They're probably more for backup in case someone finally manages to take out Terra Volta or blow the Faultline dam.

With the main sources of power being such juicy targets for villainous activity, is it any wonder that there would be a push for distributed solar energy at some point in the city's history?

3 hours ago, Greycat said:

Personally, I'd be more concerned with maze-layout office buildings and warehouses that couldn't possibly function as warehouses first, but...

Nothing to fear good citizen. All the architects in the city secretly belong to the Midnighters. Their building designs cause people to regularly trace out geomantric patterns that prevent the Things from the Outer Darkness from being able to invade our realm. You may gripe about the long commute to your office in the back end of the building, but its either that or Tentacles!!! coming out of places you don't even want to think about*.

* the back of my refrigerator; what are you, a pervert? :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Xenosone said:

Can i have some giant robot insurance? Possibly smaller robot insurance too.

After what happened to Overbrook, Eastgate, Venice, White Plains, Baumton, Astoria, and Woodvale—not to mention the level of everyday theft and property destruction—I'd expect that any insurance company in Paragon City has either long gone bankrupt or gotten very good at not paying out claims.

Edited by Zhym
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dazl said:

Kudos to the salesman who sold them in Dark Astoria.

Since Astoria was relatively untouched by the Rikti War, and didn't have the initial takeover by the BP until after that, it's possible that the solar panels were installed prior to 2000, before anything happened.

16 hours ago, Luminara said:

screenshot_210812-00-07-16.thumb.jpg.13b9f0b96d7d12ed26d6285fde3626f2.jpg

These panels are facing northwest.  Where Paragon City is located, in the New England region of North America, the sun would track east to west in the southern sky and the panels would never receive any direct insolation.

In other words, the sun would be behind the panels.  They're pointed the wrong way.

On the same rooftop, there's another series of panels facing southwest.  Those panels would receive insolation in the late afternoon and evening... if there weren't buildings right where the sun would be at that time.

This is really bugging me now.  If Paragon weren't already defunct, I'd fire the person who did this.  Twice.  With prejudice.  And a shoe.

😠

This is what happens when you don't check references for your installers.

You get half-assery like this...

• Haha 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

5 hours ago, arcane said:

Probably also sold them some of that volcano insurance 

To be fair, there is volcanic activity under Paragon.  A fair bit under Eastgate Park (The Hollows) and plenty of the blue cave maps have visible magma channels in spots.

• Thumbs Up 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.