Focused Feedback: Emotes, Costumes and Bases

The chitin helm in helmets is bugged. Was bugged on live too I think. The patterns in the secondary colors don't appear. If you look at my avatar when you select the streak pattern you should get the red eyebrow ridge. Doesn't do that anymore. None of the pattern choices are visible.

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2021 at 6:07 PM, Naomi said:

Some notes:

• We were going to do a tintable Gold Bricker pack + legacy pack, but I held off them being included due to an existing discussion about customizable jet pack powers in general, and didn't want to risk complicating its potential implementation in the future by adding more jet packs or wings to the costume creator. This is not a promise of a planned feature so much as just letting you know the combinations of back / flight options and powers is a bit convoluted and we want to make it better. If it looks like whatever we decide is a ways off, we could probably do it sooner rather than later, but I dislike (in general) the idea that parts can be doubled up due to co-planar flickering when two identical meshes are in the same spot (Costume Jet pack + Temp power active at the same time).

I know my opinion is not the popular outlook, but I'd rather have something mediocre now than perfect in 2+ years, maybe... There's no guarantee how long this experiment may be around/available. I agree the co-planar flickering looks pretty bad sometimes, but in most cases it's only the player who chose that combination who would have to put up with it for any significant length of time. It's really pretty easy to just make choices that don't cause that, or even just make a 2nd costume to accommodate temp powers and prevent it. Of course another quick & dirty option would just be to add a single temp jetpack that's black (Castillo's maybe) so we can have something that stylistically matches anything.

I really do love the tintable pack idea though... anything to keep character costume opportunities moving forward...

I really wish we could link certain costume pieces to certain powers in the creator, either on or off while a power is active... Jetpack piece being able to be set to on, only while flying, or else something like swords on the back being set to off while your blade is drawn. I know that kind of thing is so far off we'll probably never see it in this game though.

• Like 1

It would be nice if you could tint the Goldbricker shades... Other than that, and other limitations brought up, nice work.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

On 11/6/2021 at 6:07 PM, Naomi said:

We were going to do a tintable Gold Bricker pack + legacy pack, but I held off them being included due to an existing discussion about customizable jet pack powers in general, and didn't want to risk complicating its potential implementation in the future by adding more jet packs or wings to the costume creator. This is not a promise of a planned feature so much as just letting you know the combinations of back / flight options and powers is a bit convoluted and we want to make it better. If it looks like whatever we decide is a ways off, we could probably do it sooner rather than later, but I dislike (in general) the idea that parts can be doubled up due to co-planar flickering when two identical meshes are in the same spot (Costume Jet pack + Temp power active at the same time).

Amazing additions all-around though I am definitely in the camp that I'd rather have the Gold Bricker pack with the other GB parts now even if it doesn't get improved until a fair bit down the road. The GB pack has a nice mid-level tech look that fits in nicely between the more retro options and the sleeker looking tech wing options. 

Edited by Attache

Actioneer || Aerobat || Agent Archer || Agent Dare || Amazona || Arbiter Doom || Astrowoman || Atheos || Attache || Aurgelmir || Big League || Blue Weasel || Bomber Girl || Cavalcader || Centenarian || Change Agent || Charade || Chimpanzer || Chorus Girl || Chrono King || Circlet || Cockatrice || Cogsman || Coin-Operative || Cold Spell || Countess Cataclysm || Crackdown || Death Adder || Deathwatch || Devana || Didgeridoo || Dirigible || Doctor Arioch || Doctor Asmodeus || Doctor Epoch || Doctor Typhoon || Duke Dreadsome || Executress || Eye || French Roast || Ghost Gal || Goldsmith || Hellstone || Herculon || Ifrit ||  Illuminoid || Iron Agent || Jen-X || Junkman ||  Liberta ||  Lord of Winter || Maera || Mime || Monument || Namtaru || Newsreel || Overman || Pakhet || Queen Cheetah || Queen Sting || Steve Saturn || Tarnation || Technoid || Teen Thunderbolt || Torch Titan || Xerelerex || Zodiax 

Releasing something that has not gone through extensive testing and refitting is not a convenient approach, since then the Devs will have to revisit that at one point, and with the huge pile of things already in a waiting list to be fixed, would be like trying to contain a fire by tossing something combustive at it. The time and hands of the team are limited. Got to go for the most efficient way. Many people would like anything extra to be released at once just for fun and giggles, but we have to settle on what is feasible for the benefit of the game as a whole and it's progress in time.

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

7 hours ago, Albion said:

Releasing something that has not gone through extensive testing and refitting is not a convenient approach, since then the Devs will have to revisit that at one point, and with the huge pile of things already in a waiting list to be fixed, would be like trying to contain a fire by tossing something combustive at it. The time and hands of the team are limited. Got to go for the most efficient way. Many people would like anything extra to be released at once just for fun and giggles, but we have to settle on what is feasible for the benefit of the game as a whole and it's progress in time.

Well, this is probably fair enough in general but a wee bit hyperbolic give Naomi's statement about the Gold Bricker jetpack specifically. It was stated that they were "going to do a tintable Gold Bricker pack + legacy pack" save for an existing and ongoing discussion about customizable jet pack powers in general. I read that as saying that the GB jet packs could have been added along with the other Gold Bricker parts and had they been, they would now be undergoing the extensive testing and refitting you mentioned. They nixed it because of what seems some overall plans to make the combinations of back / flight options and powers (vaguely) "better" but with the caveat that it isn't a promise of a planned feature and if this overall improvement is significantly delayed, the GB jet packs (and presumably others) may be added ahead of said improvement anyway...which may or may not even ever happen.

Yes, I do find it a bit strange to add the costume parts of an established enemy group while leaving off their primary costume feature but I'm not, like, mad about it. I appreciate all the volunteer devs do. I just echoed the sentiment of someone else in the thread and while I am aware that the genie is out of the bottle and that there will probably always be someplace to play CoH as long as tech allows, I still operate under the possibility that this could all go away some day rather suddenly so I would rather we get to experience what we can, while we can. If a shut down ever befalls HC, I can't see starting it all up again someplace else.

I'm not saying I wouldn't...only that I can't see it at the moment. 😉

• Like 1

Actioneer || Aerobat || Agent Archer || Agent Dare || Amazona || Arbiter Doom || Astrowoman || Atheos || Attache || Aurgelmir || Big League || Blue Weasel || Bomber Girl || Cavalcader || Centenarian || Change Agent || Charade || Chimpanzer || Chorus Girl || Chrono King || Circlet || Cockatrice || Cogsman || Coin-Operative || Cold Spell || Countess Cataclysm || Crackdown || Death Adder || Deathwatch || Devana || Didgeridoo || Dirigible || Doctor Arioch || Doctor Asmodeus || Doctor Epoch || Doctor Typhoon || Duke Dreadsome || Executress || Eye || French Roast || Ghost Gal || Goldsmith || Hellstone || Herculon || Ifrit ||  Illuminoid || Iron Agent || Jen-X || Junkman ||  Liberta ||  Lord of Winter || Maera || Mime || Monument || Namtaru || Newsreel || Overman || Pakhet || Queen Cheetah || Queen Sting || Steve Saturn || Tarnation || Technoid || Teen Thunderbolt || Torch Titan || Xerelerex || Zodiax 

24 minutes ago, Attache said:

Well, this is probably fair enough in general but a wee bit hyperbolic give Naomi's statement about the Gold Bricker jetpack specifically. It was stated that they were "going to do a tintable Gold Bricker pack + legacy pack" save for an existing and ongoing discussion about customizable jet pack powers in general. I read that as saying that the GB jet packs could have been added along with the other Gold Bricker parts and had they been, they would now be undergoing the extensive testing and refitting you mentioned. They nixed it because of what seems some overall plans to make the combinations of back / flight options and powers (vaguely) "better" but with the caveat that it isn't a promise of a planned feature and if this overall improvement is significantly delayed, the GB jet packs (and presumably others) may be added ahead of said improvement anyway...which may or may not even ever happen.

Yes, I do find it a bit strange to add the costume parts of an established enemy group while leaving off their primary costume feature but I'm not, like, mad about it. I appreciate all the volunteer devs do. I just echoed the sentiment of someone else in the thread and while I am aware that the genie is out of the bottle and that there will probably always be someplace to play CoH as long as tech allows, I still operate under the possibility that this could all go away some day rather suddenly so I would rather we get to experience what we can, while we can. If a shut down ever befalls HC, I can't see starting it all up again someplace else.

I'm not saying I wouldn't...only that I can't see it at the moment. 😉

They have a planning route scheduling, when something gathers enough agreement, it becomes an item in said route, said items then are grabbed when there is available people to work on them and the time is right, taking on account whatever connections they have and the ripples they may cause to the game, and thus you have pages and issues (as in issue 27, not a problem) forming. By Naomi statement I get that there is the intent of adding new options to the mentioned powers (which I saw in fact being discussed while the whole of page 3 was still being molded), and thus since there would be a direct connection with the Gold Bricker piece, and it would be an unnecessary hassle to return to it once the other modification is applied, they will pack both together for future release, which makes sense, same has gone with many other things we don't hear much about, thus page 3 release is huuuuge. Regarding Homecoming permanence you should not worry much, the devs are playing the long game for solid reasons, just looking at the logo in our very own client-launcher and the return of allowed streaming tells enough. While I do recognize is tempting wanting to pour all the cool things possible asap, and isn't in any way something bad or reprehensible, in the end it doesn't work well for balance, performance and stability, as other servers are living proof of.

We just end up waiting a long, long time for things sometimes...

I don't think you can blame people for being a little impatient. 

(*says probably the only person on the server who's still waiting/hoping for that second round of Circle costume bits that the guys got several years ago to finally be ported to the female frame*)

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

59 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

We just end up waiting a long, long time for things sometimes...

I don't think you can blame people for being a little impatient. 

(*says probably the only person on the server who's still waiting/hoping for that second round of Circle costume bits that the guys got several years ago to finally be ported to the female frame*)

That is the thing, being impatient with a labor of love that is done absolutely free and with no obligation by a small group of crazy people (who also has to pay their everyday bills like us) is kinda bitchy, I do get it as I would love to have a bunch of extra things that were left in waiting or crazy ideas I see somewhere else, but try to keep it to the "man wouldnt be great to have x someday?" and "will x be able to be done eventually?" as they love feedback and suggestions, but I do avoid lecturing the people doing the actual work on what they should have done or should do, if I was able to volunteer to work with the devs into making the graphic pieces then porting them to the game and tying up the code, absolutely, but as things stand now for me, I rise both thumbs up and tell them to go for whatever it is they think is best.

I appreciate the effort devoted to all aspects of having the game back.  Power adjustments I can understand taking the time to get it right so we don't go breaking the physics of the game with some super nuke.  Costumes though if it doesn't break the game and its barely some clipping I'm in the camp of if its easy to do then lets get some of these things made accessible where possible. 

I'd love for lots of pieces to be made available, sure take the time to iron it out so it looks right while you're blasting your powers but it doesn't need to be perfect.  Perfect is the enemy of good.  

1 hour ago, termyt said:

Can we have the innertube while flying?

I think you have to find a waterfall and poke it with a needle at just the right moment.  

Seems like I just gave your character a convincing back story on their flight power.  

Edited by Mezmera
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Booper said:

All > Upper Body > Belts:

• Added "Official (Simple)"
  • Added "Official (Dual Pistol)"
  • Added "Gold Bricker"
  • Added "Gold Bricker (Legacy)"

Any chance we can get the Gold Bricker holster set up for dual pistol ?

The "Official Dual Pistol" is great but very modern, the Gold Bricker has a much better look for older vintage style weapons and outfits.

Also Gunslinger 2 is to high?:

belthigh.jpg.019357e30cd90949f730c0edc7a3d51d.jpg

• Retired Developer
1 hour ago, SuperPlyx said:

Any chance we can get the Gold Bricker holster set up for dual pistol ?

Possibly at a future time. There's a couple of annoying issues with setting a precedent for holsters like that.

1 hour ago, buttrevolver said:

Just noticed the Gold Bricker gloves are equippable with sleeved jackets for male, but not female & huge. Is that an oversight?

Not an oversight, as fem and huge have poke-through clipping on the sleeves, and since the majority of the glove isn't visible, they were left out for the same reasons most other gloves being missing are. I only checked male crossing their arms in the costume creator so if males have constant poke through in-game with other actions, I'm unaware.

Alternatively, and something I wish I thought of earlier, since the mesh itself is virtually identical to smooth on the parts you can see when worn with jackets (wrist down), simply putting the texture on smooth geo and calling it Gold Bricker for when it's displayed on jackets is an ideal and simple fix.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is one thing that is very dear to me, though I know it's not something just glibly implemented, and that is having a list of 'skins' in the skin color window.

Picking any of the bio-luminescence, metallic, organic, etc options automatically shuts us off from the rest of the options. Furthermore the way the game is so old and how it shows. Picking bioluminescence legs, for example, sharply cuts the skin at the knee so if we pick anything other than boots that cover to the knee or the biolumi feet option it looks really bad.

Not wanting to go around 'naked' while using biolumi/organic/monstrous fur/tiger strips/leopard spots/spectrum/etc locks us into jackets and chest detail (and thank goodness we have chest details!).

Most of this is something that could be bypassed by having those skins in the skin color window. They don't have protruding textures that will cause clipping so normal clothes will just go on top.

• Retired Developer
1 hour ago, Sovera said:

There is one thing that is very dear to me, though I know it's not something just glibly implemented, and that is having a list of 'skins' in the skin color window.

Picking any of the bio-luminescence, metallic, organic, etc options automatically shuts us off from the rest of the options. Furthermore the way the game is so old and how it shows. Picking bioluminescence legs, for example, sharply cuts the skin at the knee so if we pick anything other than boots that cover to the knee or the biolumi feet option it looks really bad.

Not wanting to go around 'naked' while using biolumi/organic/monstrous fur/tiger strips/leopard spots/spectrum/etc locks us into jackets and chest detail (and thank goodness we have chest details!).

Most of this is something that could be bypassed by having those skins in the skin color window. They don't have protruding textures that will cause clipping so normal clothes will just go on top.

I'm having a little trouble understanding what you want, but it sounds familiar and if it wasn't you that already asked previously in the request boards, that's the best place for things to go that are not related to patch feedback.

For bio-luminescence and the rest of those related animal textures, they can only accept two colors to tint the main texture. If patterns were to be available for bio-luminescence, the bright white stripes would be your selected skin color, and your pattern color would overlay on that. If you select orange, white, black or any shared colors, and set your primary to the same color as your skin, you can get a better idea of what you'd be working with or limited to.

Alternatively, you could have bio-luminescence not accept your skin color and instead, function the same way, but with the regular pallet and patterns.

As far as the naked thing I'm not sure what you mean, since those patterns should be available underneath shorts, shirts and the same categories as everything else. If this is specific to a bikini pattern or shorts pattern being unavailable, remember that then your bright colors would be locked to the same color as the rest of the bio-luminescence texture if that was enabled.

Given that this is the sort of stylized texture that almost demands 3 colors, there's like you say, limits as far as what can actually be done right now. As for whether it looks bad at the leg it doesn't bother me personally, but it was done that way so that it blends well with regular flat feet and whatever other foot textures show skin. I know the gloves are cut right at the seam but it's more noticeable at the legs. If you just want more scales behind and around the knee that might be workable, but I generally don't like to change existing costume parts people have become accustomed to past a small threshold, which is usually correcting texture issues, nor do I like to duplicate entire textures if I can help it for minor variations.

If you want to clarify more what you want in the request forum feel free to ping me there.