I like what Rebirth did with Ice Melee here.

Solarverse

Gott damn, I would say it's some triple A customization level but I've been so hilariously disappointed with character customization in other games.

Likely in the works and a welcome addition for all weapon/non-weapon powersets.

Now if only animations were the issue with Ice Armor..

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4 minutes ago, Cancrusher said:

Some new animations.  That's cool.  Unfortunately, Ice sword and Ice armor are still the goofiest looking sets in the game, even on Rebirth.

I once had a character using Energy Aura suitably colored to suggest it was a field of cold around his body because Ice Armor's animations were so miserable.

• Like 1

Yeah, if you want to use the good armor powers in the set, you have to resolve yourself to looking like a lumbering dope with giant ice chunks stuck on your limbs and torso.

Such things are entirely subjective, of course.  I realize this.  I do think a lot of players share my opinion, though. 😛

1 hour ago, Erratic1 said:

I once had a character using Energy Aura suitably colored to suggest it was a field of cold around his body because Ice Armor's animations were so miserable.

I did this for EA and Rad.

In terms of video, I have been thinking about similar ideas as of late. There is so much work to be done cleaning up animations for the game. Switching from swords to not using them makes zero sense in a practical sense.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

I did this for EA and Rad.

In terms of video, I have been thinking about similar ideas as of late. There is so much work to be done cleaning up animations for the game. Switching from swords to not using them makes zero sense in a practical sense.

That's how I felt about Psi Melee. The fist attacks look very stiff and lame to me, so much so I can't get in to the set.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

That's how I felt about Psi Melee. The fist attacks look very stiff and lame to me, so much so I can't get in to the set.

In all honesty, we have multiple sets for smashing and lethal damage. There's no real reason why we can't sets of exotic damage types but with swords or without. Hell, you could do Sword melee and then let the user pick the damage type similar to DP.

Psionic needs a rework. Insight just happens to be the starting point. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

23 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Um...I don't see any difference between the ice melee here and the one in the video. 

I can't tell if this is serious or some kind of rhetorical device.  If it's serious:

They added non-sword options to ice sword and greater ice sword.  They added sword options to frozen fists, freezing touch, and assassin's icicle.  And they added a ground punch option to frozen aura.

Their version of stalker ice melee is different from ours: we have assassin's ice sword, no greater ice sword, and ice patch.  But I think it's the different animations that people are calling out.

(Their ice armor also has a series of less intrusive coatings.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And there's nothing there that can't fairly easily be replicated here.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

Not liking at all that they dropped ice patch.  It is what makes ice melee somewhat unique.  So, that'd be a big no from me.

I do like the new animation choices though.  I also like that it appears they sped up frozen fist's animation (one quick punch instead of the ugly slow double punch), which is something I've suggested.

That "Ice Touch" looks a heck of a lot more like "Ice STAB!" with a sword though.  I mean, I'm all for more and more choices available for costuming - really! - but a fist attack and a sword attack just wouldn't feel right doing the same type of damage to me (one's more smashing, the other more lethal).

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

8 hours ago, aethereal said:

I can't tell if this is serious or some kind of rhetorical device.  If it's serious:

They added non-sword options to ice sword and greater ice sword.  They added sword options to frozen fists, freezing touch, and assassin's icicle.  And they added a ground punch option to frozen aura.

Their version of stalker ice melee is different from ours: we have assassin's ice sword, no greater ice sword, and ice patch.  But I think it's the different animations that people are calling out.

(Their ice armor also has a series of less intrusive coatings.)

They also had an option for Assassin's Strike that looked like an Ice Spike that Impales the target that juts out from the fist that I thought looked awesome.

5 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

Not liking at all that they dropped ice patch.  It is what makes ice melee somewhat unique.  So, that'd be a big no from me.

I do like the new animation choices though.  I also like that it appears they sped up frozen fist's animation (one quick punch instead of the ugly slow double punch), which is something I've suggested.

I personally always thought Ice Patch was kind of dumb on a damage set, even on Ice Blasters, so for me, that would have been a very welcomed change.