What are the worst powers in the game?

Bionic_Flea

9 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

Liquefy isn't the worst, but it's a location AoE that causes foes to run from it and has next to no means of keeping them in place (no mez, no slow, it has a knockdown, but it's not very good).  If you don't have an AoE mez to throw in with it all Liquefy does is scatter the mob.  It also has an enormous recharge for no good reason.

My theory is that Liquefy was given a long recharge to prevent people from wasting too much time with it.

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

LRM Rocket

I’m going to respectfully be a contrarian on this one after a lovely friday evening of fairly fruitful rocketeering.

Is it optimal? No. Is it in the top 10 worst? Hell no. As long as you aren’t so dumb that you use it on a mob your team is already killing, and as long as you pad it with damage procs, it’s a fine little secondary nuke.

image.gif.927fb1b3f51ddaeef7b7b0a2d72a329a.gif

Edited by arcane
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Any power can prove useful, some remarkably so, in the hands of a player.  

Any power, no matter how “good” it looks in an analysis, can be a dud.  This, again, depends on the player

This is actually one of the greatest strengths of City of Villains, err Heroes.  

I have a project on the back burner inspired by “The Midnight Bomber what Bombs at Midnight” from the Tick.  AR/Dev/Munitions Blaster taking all bombs and the LRM.  Meme? Sure.  But will be fun and I bet I can get a ton of usefulness out of it.  Efficient as a Fire/Fire??? Maybe more so for me, I have never blapped.  But i will toe bomb and sit iff at range blowing crap up and laughing maniacally 

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

Hand clap...it needs to be a stun/kb dmg power. 

KB>KD proc, accuracy IO, Perfect Zinger proc, Explosive Strike proc.  Ends up doing decent damage then and rechsrge is long enough that procs are almost guarenteed.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

18 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

LRM Rocket

OH that is why that guy kept going 'an archer with a LRM rocket' over and over when they ran into my ar/ta/whatever has LRM rocket I picked just for that

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

Most scrapper taunts are one in my opinion. I actually proposed a bit ago that one way to improve them would be to turn Scrapper taunts into ranged attacks, gap closers, or 'pull-to'. So like Katana would go full weaboo and basically have a version of claws Focus without KD, Electric melee could pull an enemy from a distance towards the user through magnetism, or Claws, already possessing two ranged attacks instead gets a single target lunge that teleports the user right into the opponent's face.

Otherwise I think a lot of people have covered the basics, but the big thing that makes Scrapper Taunt seem worthless to me is that I'll see some people grab 'useless' powers for RP concepts sometimes. But Scrapper taunt? Nope, never.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

All true, but that's a lot of ifs, Imho.  If you want another T1/2, if you take Kick and then Crosspunch, if you need another attack in general.  Meanwhile, pretty much everyone ends up having to otherwise throw away a choice on it (not all of course, I have a couple of Tough+Weave-less builds, but they are kind of hard to arrange well for squishies).

Almost none of my characters have ever taken the fighting pool.

LRM rocket I will need to see in action to judge. (Or rename it "Imaginary Rocket" and add some Psi damage!)

Team Teleport, except for the hilarity of seeing Null-phobic teammates freak out, is eclipsed by other TP powers.

"Stoppable," the T9 Tank Inv power, is basically a delayed "I lose" button.

Personally, I'm no fan of any power that requires you to fondle the corpses of dead teammates or enemies, but they can be extremely useful in better hands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

3 hours ago, Communistpenguin said:

Almost none of my characters have ever taken the fighting pool.

Please post all of your builds, because I hate taking Fighting Pool ha ha.  But as I don't have gobs of time to plan builds on my own I usually just run with one from these forums, and hoo boy is it a common crutch to make a build (just like relying on some Incarnate to take care of ridiculous End problems).

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 hours ago, Mopery said:

Flurry.

Gonna add Jump Kick. No one has time for that much animation.

• Like 1

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

25 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Please post all of your builds, because I hate taking Fighting Pool ha ha.  But as I don't have gobs of time to plan builds on my own I usually just run with one from these forums, and hoo boy is it a common crutch to make a build (just like relying on some Incarnate to take care of ridiculous End problems).

here is the build for my main. It is probably a bit weird, cause I have played this character since Live, and I was used to taking alot of aggro with no heal, so I prioritized healing quickly. Overall, the only thing I would change is to swap out Thunderclap for Gale(with a kb-> KD and recharge proc io) But I am to lazy to bother respeccing just for that change.

Storm Goblin build.txt

I can't say it is one of the worst, but it fails in the "bang for the buck" rating -- Acrobatics.  For 0.26 end/sec, it offers:

• 7 points of knockback protection
  • 2 points of hold protection
  • 48.44% hold resistance

Armor sets offer significantly more types of mez protection at a cheaper end cost.  I don't expect a pool power to be so thorough, but either the end cost should be lowered or it should offer minor other buffs as well.

Historically, Acrobatics had a larger purpose.  Prior to the introduction of sets, it was the only general way to protect someone from knockback if their native power sets did not offer the protection.  For example, without Acrobatics, Fiery Aura tanks and scrappers would often be blown off their own Burn patches, and the foes followed them out.  I.e., without Acrobatics, Burn was awkward to use at best.  That all said, in the present time, we have sets.  These offer knockback protection via set bonuses, and now Acrobatics is one of the least chosen powers because it was not modified to match the new reality.

Edited by cohRock

-- Rock

5 hours ago, Communistpenguin said:

here is the build for my main. It is probably a bit weird, cause I have played this character since Live, and I was used to taking alot of aggro with no heal, so I prioritized healing quickly. Overall, the only thing I would change is to swap out Thunderclap for Gale(with a kb-> KD and recharge proc io) But I am to lazy to bother respeccing just for that change.

Storm Goblin build.txt 4.6 kB · 0 downloads

I'll have to check it later at home where I have MIDS.  Will say though, the KB->KD proc makes Gale so, so useful for a Stormie.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

11 hours ago, ihatethewind said:

All of the single target immobilize powers.

Frequently the only way for controllers to establish containment on AVs. AVs don't have native resistance to immobilize. Very handy in stopping AVs from running if you don't have a tank or brute. I believe they all also have -fly and are useful for bringing them down. The damage isn't great, but is often needed for controllers prior to getting pets and epics.

• Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

15 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

Psychic scream all forms, except for Sentinel which is passable.

Dominator version is ok

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

12 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

LRM rocket I will need to see in action to judge. (Or rename it "Imaginary Rocket" and add some Psi damage!)

doc-holliday-im-your-huckleberry.gif

• Haha 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

17 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

Psychic scream all forms, except for Sentinel which is passable.

Goodness gracious some of you are implying you value Jump Kick and Flurry way too much. What’s with all the reasonably usable but skippable powers.

13 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Personally, I'm no fan of any power that requires you to fondle the corpses of dead teammates or enemies, but they can be extremely useful in better hands.

What power is that? Midnight Grasp?!? 😂 

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Black Hole is probably my pick for absolute bottom of the barrel. Bad attacks are still attacks, you just have much better options available for doing damage. This is a power that even if it was the only thing ready on your tray, you wouldn't want to use it. It's an AoE Intangible with none of the good aspects of Dimension Shift. The only use I can imagine is as a solo emergency button and it's in a set that doesn't really need one. The one good thing about it is that it's so painless to skip.

• Thumbs Up 2

Psychic scream and world of confusion just need some major number buffs.

Psy in general does tho.

liquefy needs a rework, just move it to sonic cage, remove cage and decrease it’s cooldown by 80% and give sonic some giant aoe disorient final power that deals d damage and lowers resistance And reduces enemy damage. 

Edited by kiramon
  • Thumbs Up 1