If this was a buffet, what build should everyone try?

oedipus_tex

For a long, long time I've stuck to mostly Dominators and Controllers, with the occasional Defender thrown in. Lately I've been forcing myself to try other archetypes outside of my comfort zone. It's really interesting to me what you tend to take for granted (for example, I am used to the assumption that locking into enemies into position is a given).

From this I have two questions:

• What are the builds you've played that were so unusual you think other people should try them for an eye opening experience?
  • What are the archetypes/sets you've just never gotten around to trying, but someone might be able to persuade you.

I currently don't have any VEAT or HEAT characters. They've just never interested me, I guess because they feel so pre-set to me. I'm open to being wrong about them of course.

I also don't have a single Scrapper character over level 30. I have one Stalker (Ice/Rad Armor). He's excellent, but I've never explored beyond that.

As for builds I think everyone should play at least once:

• Some variety of Ice Control. Not because it's good, IMO it's pretty mediocre. But Arctic Air is such an unusual, bizarre power that requires such a unique approach to game play I think everyone should play it once.
  • A Storm Summoner. It's so different from what any other MMO offers, and IMO tests a lot of assumptions about what "good" normally means.
  • The new Trick Arrow. I can't say how much I love the redesign of this set and how uniquely it plays.
  • An Electric Control character. Again not because it is great. Because it is so goddam strange. It can be pretty effective, maybe a solid A or B tier. But learning to play it involves adjusting to so many variables and paying attention to enemy blue bars. I can't think of a similar build offered by other MMOs.     

What are your recommendations and requests?

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, oedipus_tex said:

What are your recommendations and requests?

Recommendation:

Blaster: Martial Combat. Anyone who's not tried this set should give it a go.  Very dynamic play, excellent animations, goes with any primary.

Request:

Persuade me to try playing support or CC as a primarily melee (mostly scrappers and blappers)  player who is largely afraid that he's too clumsy and slow to actually target teammates and apply buffs and whatnot.

• Thumbs Up 2

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

I have a Rad/Ice tanker that I've soloed GMs, frankly I was shocked that a tank could.

As you know because you've helped me multiple times past, but, I still don't have a dom at 50. I have multiples and the highest is 36. 

I think you should try a Fort or a Crab, I like the Fort because its like a mule kicking ya with Psi. Crabs are unstoppable ranged/pet spewing ATs. Widow and Bane...meh.

Storm is awesome on any AT, I have multiple and Electric control is freaky fun.

I'm currently running a Grav/Storm troller as you know the Kaos King build and a EM/Bio broot. 

Finding different sets that have a good synergy is always rewarding. I do have a Psi/Nrg broot that I got to 50 that I had great plans for that just was such a letdown (don't try it). Psi melee is a weird set, and KM is just such a joke. You know what add Fire melee to it too, Ice melee is so much superior. 

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Someone already beat me to the /martial blaster suggestion.  I'm going to be more specific and add water/martial or seismic/martial.   These are the newest of the blast sets, and they were really built with some interesting strategic synergies.  Seismic has quick animating attacks and lots of reliable AoE knockdown.  It also has a mechanic that used properly can really boost damage output.  Water adds slows which stack with reaction time's slows and a self heal to the mix.  And I like martial's build-up replacement (reach for the limit) as an auto power that doesn't use endurance or take any animation time.  

Shield/MA tank is a really all around great toon.  The satisfying crunch of build-up shield charge and fast, flashy animations.  It's a ton of fun with no real downside.  It's probably the one character that's given me the most traditional comic book superhero feeling.  You literally look for the biggest pile of badguys to leap into, then stand there and fight hand-to-hand (or foot-to-head) until you're the last one standing.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Many excellent suggestions here!

If you're looking for inspiration outside of Controllers and Doms, here are a few of my favorites:

Seismic/Earth Blaster: Smashy smashy fun! Not quite as much damage as a Fire blaster, but not far off, and with a much more visceral feel. Feels more like a portable apocalypse than any of my other characters, besides maybe my Fire/Storm controller. 

AR/TA Blaster: @Nemu has a super fun "Rambo" build I tried on for size and it's a blast! Not optimized towards every perfect synergy, but optimal fun and Rambo style instead. Look here - an actual use for LRM Rocket! It's not so bad in practice. Must come up with a dopey Rambo pun character concept for maximum enjoyment. Mine is "Bambo" the deer out for blood. It's all about dakka, explosions, and flame.

Rad/War Mace Tanker: Can be procced to the nines to do apocalyptic damage, and nothing is quite as crunchy as War Mace with all its Knockdowns and beefy attacks. Rad keeps you running in any scenario, both in terms of survivability and blue bar.

Poison/Pistols Defender: I know you say you've done some defenders, but this combo is unique and very fun! Quick-application debuffs and a tight set of primary powers allow you to really focus on your blasts, and they are supremely proccable. I like mine with Dark APP for extra Soul Drain fun. : )

If you haven't given them a fair shake first-hand, I'd encourage you to try Fortunata on for size. It's like 75% of a dominator but with better average DPA attacks, a Nuke, team support powers and actual built-in defenses. Tape a Mind dom to a claws scrapper, bolt on a Nuke, and give it all leadership powers but twice as good, along with defense powers that bring you to incarnate softcap without even a single IO bonus needed.

Demons/Dark Mastermind: Proc out those whip attacks and go to town! This is a MM that can actually do personal damage in addition to his pets. Dark is as always a huge kit, though it requires you be very active to keep on top of aggro and pet management. Demons/EA is a more fire and forget playstyle. It's a totally unstoppable Brick with decent damage, but has a lot less downtime for whipping things.

I definitely have characters I love beyond this, but these are some that stand out on the strength of the mechanics alone. Any build is improvied 10,000% with the right character concept to match. 😄

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

Persuade me to try playing support or CC as a primarily melee (mostly scrappers and blappers)  player who is largely afraid that he's too clumsy and slow to actually target teammates and apply buffs and whatnot.

You might try Time. It was one single target buff, Temporal Selection, but since you can't hit the whole team with it, the team won't notice that no one on the team has it. You can skip it. Every other buff is PBAoE, so you don't have to target anyone with them. You just find a time when people are kind of clustered and cast. It's also a support set that's pretty happy being in melee, so you can almost play it as a scrapper.

IF CC is crowd control: Mind/Savage is a lot of fun. I had trouble until I figured out just how useful mass hypnosis is while soloing. You just put the whole spawn to sleep, use domination on one target and fight that one held target until it's down, then move onto the next. It's possible without mass hypnosis too, but it's a whole lot more target swapping.

• Like 1

Bots / Something MM.  I can't go demons for the noise ( I know Bots are noisy too, but it's the kind of noise, I can't stand it).  Bots go well with many secondaries as I understand it; I've had three and they all worked out.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

11 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:
  • Some variety of Ice Control. Not because it's good, IMO it's pretty mediocre. But Arctic Air is such an unusual, bizarre power that requires such a unique approach to game play I think everyone should play it once.

I'll suggest my Ice/Traps/Sorcery/Stone controller with Fold Space so. It's not my strongest character by any means but it is interesting, especially in smaller groups with friends (who know what shenanigans to expect). Theme-wise he's a "junkbot" so Ice & Sorcery have been recoloured / headcanoned into oils and smogs. 

Since you mentioned Elec Control I'll also say "Elec/Poison/Stone" controller. I went through a period of weird controllers last year and "Malwire, the living virus" was the 2nd. Recoloured the Stone Armour to a kind of neon-green crystal gives it a kinda of "filled in vector graphics a la Battlezone" feel.

I'm also very much enjoying my Trick Arrow / Elec defender. Feels proper "Offender"-y. 

Edited by Carnifax

I may have to give TA another spin.  I had it on an Illusions troller but probably had a bad build or something.  I got him up to 50, but can't really say I enjoyed it and I think he had End troubles?  Something.  He hit 50 and almost immediately I started stripping him for parts.  Shame, as I liked the character, just not playing it.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

29 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I may have to give TA another spin.  I had it on an Illusions troller but probably had a bad build or something.  I got him up to 50, but can't really say I enjoyed it and I think he had End troubles?  Something.  He hit 50 and almost immediately I started stripping him for parts.  Shame, as I liked the character, just not playing it.

I have a Grav/Trick Arrow too, but I'm much preferring the Defender version. The debuffs are so nice. 

I've uploaded all those weird builds to https://www.cohbuildshare.com/builds?user=Carnifax ( @Procat's underused and excellent Build Sharing website). 

• Thanks 1

Wait, nvm what I edited out.  Regardless of my lack of reading comprehension, I will look into that thank you.

Edited by Clave Dark 5

Go have fun!

The Dark/Dark Brute, built correctly and with ALL toggles is an eye opening experience.   Those two stun/fear toggles do heavy lifting in even incarnate mobs to reduce incoming damage.  It is a truly unstoppable ball of hate

I have never tried a Controller Defender or Mastermind beyond rolling them and 30 min at low level

14 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

Request:

Plant/ta. Seeds is cheat mode as a control. It almost feels like you use that and anything else is gravy. TA doesn't have to look at health/end bars or worry about buffs. Shoot some arrows and move on. TA is a silver platter of a buffet for a Controller as well. More control on a ST and AoE level, debuffs, and more damage. As a Defender, I think TA/ice can be made one of the more solo friendly ones although soloing isn't fast. It took me about 90 minutes to solo FF, but that included a death, being level 8, and zero slotting. If you simply want something for teams, TA/water as Water offers a self heal.

A side benefit of these builds is you really get to play around with procs.

Everyone should try the Scrapper version of Claws. One of the smoothest rides to 50. Everyone should try playing a support character on a team just to get the experience of what that is like. More so if you lack heals. Nothing better than being on a support set without heals, someone with heals, and then the team going "Thanks for the heals." Literally a thankless job.

Edited by Without_Pause
  • Like 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

10 hours ago, Onlyasandwich said:

AR/TA Blaster: @Nemu has a super fun "Rambo" build I tried on for size and it's a blast! Not optimized towards every perfect synergy, but optimal fun and Rambo style instead. Look here - an actual use for LRM Rocket! It's not so bad in practice. Must come up with a dopey Rambo pun character concept for maximum enjoyment. Mine is "Bambo" the deer out for blood. It's all about dakka, explosions, and flame.

Hmmm, maybe Mambo #5

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Marshal_General said:

Hmmm, maybe Mambo #5

This is why we need a guitar case as a costume weapon option.

• Thumbs Up 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

Blaster: Dark Blast/TA - Most fun I have had playing a blaster. You prowl the edges of the spawn knocking stuff down, immobilizing bosses, then BBQ them with Oil Slick Arrow. That just the offense. The defensive is also excellent. Very good defense, stacking -acc attacks, excellent status resists due to all the nice resists from TA.

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Dark Blast
Secondary Power Set: Tactical Arrow
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Gloom -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Electrified Net Arrow -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(46), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 2: Glue Arrow -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Umbral Torrent -- Bmbdmt-Dam(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(11), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(11), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(13), FrcFdb-Rechg%(13), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(15)
Level 6: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Moonbeam -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(15), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(17), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(17), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), StnoftheM-Dam%(19)
Level 10: Infiltration -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A)
Level 12: Tenebrous Tentacles -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(21), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(21), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(23), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23)
Level 14: Upshot -- RechRdx-I(A), GssSynFr--Build%(25)
Level 16: Flash Arrow -- SphIns-ToHitDeb(A), SphIns-Acc/ToHitDeb(25), SphIns-Acc/Rchg(27), SphIns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(27), SphIns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SphIns-%ToHit(29)
Level 18: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31)
Level 20: Eagle Eye -- EndMod-I(A), Prv-Absorb%(33), Prv-Heal(33), PrfShf-End%(33), PrfShf-EndMod(34)
Level 22: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 24: Victory Rush -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 26: Life Drain -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(34), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), TchoftheN-Heal(36), TchoftheN-%Dam(36), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(36)
Level 28: Gymnastics -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(37)
Level 32: Blackstar -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(37), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(39)
Level 35: ESD Arrow -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/End(40), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(40), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(40), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(42), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(42)
Level 38: Oil Slick Arrow -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(42), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(45)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(45), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45)
Level 44: Boxing -- Acc-I(A)
Level 47: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(48), GldArm-End/Res(48)
Level 49: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(7), Mrc-Rcvry+(9)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(9)
Level 49: Quick Form
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon
------------

If you want a VEAT with variety, then Fortunata are what you are looking for:

Blood Widow, scrapper with a nuke and controls.

Spoiler

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17

Claws and Confusion: Level 50 Natural Arachnos Widow
Primary Power Set: Fortunata Training
Secondary Power Set: Fortunata Teamwork
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Swipe -- Acc-I(A)
Level 1: Combat Training: Defensive -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 2: Strike -- SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprSpdBit-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprSpdBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprSpdBit-Rchg/Global Toxic(7)
Level 4: Tactical Training: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(13), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(13), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(15)
Level 6: Combat Training: Offensive -- Acc-I(A)
Level 8: Follow Up -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(19), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(19)
Level 10: Indomitable Will -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(21), GldArm-3defTpProc(21), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(23)
Level 12: Spin -- SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDmnofA-Dmg/Rchg(23), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprDmnofA-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprDmnofA-Rchg/DmgFear%(27)
Level 14: Lunge -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg(29), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(29), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Hct-Acc/Rchg(31)
Level 16: Dominate -- Dvs-Hold%(A), Lck-%Hold(31), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(33), UnbCns-Dam%(33), GldNet-Dam%(33), NrnSht-Dam%(34)
Level 18: Psionic Tornado -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(34), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(34), PstBls-Dam%(36), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(36), FrcFdb-Rechg%(36)
Level 20: Mask Presence -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 22: Foresight -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(37), LucoftheG-Def(37)
Level 24: Mind Link -- AdjTrg-Rchg(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(37), LucoftheG-Def(39), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(39)
Level 26: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A), GssSynFr--Build%(50)
Level 28: Confuse -- Prp-Conf/Rng(A), MlsIll-Acc/Rchg(39), MlsIll-EndRdx/Conf(40), MlsIll-Acc/EndRdx(40), MlsIll-Conf/Rng(40), MlsIll-Acc/Conf/Rchg(42)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 32: Psychic Wail -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(43), Arm-Dam%(43), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(45)
Level 35: Gloom -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(45), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Apc-Acc/Rchg(46), Apc-Dam%(46)
Level 38: Aura of Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf%(A), CrcPrs-Conf(46), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(48), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(48), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(48), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(50)
Level 41: Maneuvers -- Rct-ResDam%(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 44: Tactical Training: Leadership -- GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(A)
Level 47: Tactical Training: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Conditioning | Hidden
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(7), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(9), Mrc-Rcvry+(9)
Level 2: Stamina -- SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(A), SynSck-EndMod(11), PrfShf-End%(11)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
------------
------------

Ranged/Control Build:

Spoiler

Ranged: Level 50 Natural Arachnos Widow
Power Pool: Flight

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Mental Blast -- SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprSpdBit-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprSpdBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprSpdBit-Rchg/Global Toxic(7)
Level 1: Combat Training: Defensive -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 2: Subdue -- SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprDmnofA-Dmg/Rchg(17), SprDmnofA-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprDmnofA-Rchg/DmgFear%(19)
Level 4: Tactical Training: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(13), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(13), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(15)
Level 6: Combat Training: Offensive -- Acc-I(A)
Level 8: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A), WntGif-RunSpd/Jump/Fly/Rng/EndRdx(25)
Level 10: Indomitable Will -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(21), GldArm-3defTpProc(23), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(23)
Level 12: Dominate -- Apc-Dam%(A), GldJvl-Dam%(25), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(27), UnbCns-Dam%(27), GldNet-Dam%(29), NrnSht-Dam%(29)
Level 14: Hover -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-ResDam%(21)
Level 16: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A), GssSynFr--Build%(31)
Level 18: Psionic Tornado -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(31), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(31), PstBls-Dam%(33), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(33), FrcFdb-Rechg%(33)
Level 22: Foresight -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(34), LucoftheG-Def(34)
Level 24: Mind Link -- AdjTrg-Rchg(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(34), LucoftheG-Def(36), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 26: Scramble Thoughts -- AbsAmz-Stun(A), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(36), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(37), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(37), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(37)
Level 28: Confuse -- Prp-Acc/Rchg(A), Prp-Acc/EndRdx(39), Prp-EndRdx/Conf(39), Prp-Conf/Rng(39), Prp-Acc/Conf/Rchg(40), Prp-Rchg/Conf(40)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 32: Psychic Wail -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Arm-Acc/Rchg(42), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(42), Arm-Dam%(43), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(48)
Level 35: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 38: Aura of Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(43), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(45), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(45), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(45), CrcPrs-Conf%(46)
Level 41: Tough -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam(43), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(46), Ags-Psi/Status(50), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 44: Weave -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(46)
Level 47: Tactical Training: Leadership -- GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(A), GssSynFr--ToHit(50)
Level 49: Tactical Training: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(7), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(9), Mrc-Rcvry+(9)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), PrfShf-EndMod(11), PrfShf-End%(11)
Level 8: Afterburner
------------
------------

Finally, a super tanky Fortunata

Spoiler

Night Pixie: Level 50 Natural Arachnos Widow
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Presence
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Telekinetic Blast -- SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprSpdBit-Rchg/Global Toxic(3), SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Combat Training: Defensive -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(50)
Level 2: Combat Training: Offensive -- Acc-I(A)
Level 4: Tactical Training: Maneuvers -- ShlWal-Def(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(9), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(11), Rct-ResDam%(11)
Level 6: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A), GssSynFr--Build%(13)
Level 8: Follow Up -- Mk'Bit-Dam%(A), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(15), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(15), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(17), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 10: Indomitable Will -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(19)
Level 12: Spin -- SprDmnofA-Rchg/DmgFear%(A), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg(21), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprDmnofA-Dmg/Rchg(23)
Level 14: Lunge -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(23), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(25), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(25), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27)
Level 16: Dominate -- NrnSht-Dam%(A), GldJvl-Dam%(29), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(29), UnbCns-Dam%(31), GldNet-Dam%(31), Dcm-Build%(31)
Level 18: Psionic Tornado -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(33), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(34)
Level 22: Foresight -- ShlWal-Def(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(34), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(36), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(36)
Level 24: Mind Link -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(36), LucoftheG-Def(37), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37), AdjTrg-Rchg(39)
Level 26: Mystic Flight -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 28: Boxing -- Acc-I(A)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(39)
Level 32: Psychic Wail -- SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(40), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(42)
Level 35: Gloom -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(42), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(43), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(50)
Level 38: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(43), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(45), UnbGrd-Max HP%(45)
Level 41: Darkest Night -- DmpSpr-ToHitDeb(A), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/Rchg(45), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/Rchg/EndRdx(46), DmpSpr-Rchg/EndRdx(46), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(46)
Level 44: Spirit Ward -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 47: Rune of Protection -- Ags-Psi/Status(A), Ags-ResDam(48), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(48), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(48), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Provoke -- MckBrt-Acc/Rchg(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(5), Mrc-Rcvry+(7)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(7), EndMod-I(9)
Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany
Level 50: Cardiac Core Paragon
Level 50: Born In Battle
Level 50: High Pain Threshold
Level 50: Invader
Level 50: Marshal
------------
------------

Edited by KaizenSoze

I know Support is already your thing, but have you tried a Corruptor with a focus on Melee attacks? Fighting pool, Sands of Mu, Flurry, melee attack from Epic pool? Throw in a PBAoe from your primary, and any PBAoE buffs/debuffs from your secondary, and you've got a half-decent scrapper. I've tried a couple on test, and it's... different.

Downside being SO MANY TOGGLES just to get your defense numbers in a half decent place! Also, the Fighting Pool attacks lack any *umph*, so it's not exactly cathartic.

To my surprise, after publicly denouncing any kind of Dominator as being just useless team trash (AT/Powersets that are only half-way decent on a team, but rubbish solo), I found two combos to be quite enjoyable. Earth/Earth and Grav/Earth. Of the two, I liked Grav/Earth a bit more. The Singularity is by far the best pet in the game. 

Also, after denouncing Scrappers as weaker than Brutes, I re-learned a forgotten lesson -  a scrapper with defensive armor is every bit as good as a brute with the same armor. I still think Critical Hits aren't consistent enough to outperform Fury, but they're still quite welcome and quite good. And, I realized also that I afk during the day enough that in some cases, I'm better off with criticals than fury. 

Recently, made a claws/SR scrapper. It was quite good leveling up; a bit of a stall in the mid-40's, as despite focus/follow-up/slash being a preferred attack chain, the damage seemed quite insufficent to me in contrast to this ice/shield scrapper I'm leveling up now. A smoother leveling curve, and far, far better dps and survivability. Now, there's no scientific evidence to back that - just my anecdotal perspective. The combo of  Fold Space/Build-Up/Frost/Shield Charge/Frost is quite good against +3/6 Rikti, Nemesis (could use a bit more accuracy due to vengeance), council, Carnival, DE & Tuatha, to name a few. The defense debuff resistance offered by Shield Armor is as good as any other set I can think of, off the top of my head. Even the CoT spectrals don't succeed in flooring my accuracy, except the one time I took a team invite into a +5 scenario. And I was the only one left standing, including the tank in several of those skirmishes in that stupid mission, accepted by an XP greedy leader who had no thought or concern about how they were going to complete the mission at that difficulty with that team. But, I digress...

In summary, Earth/Earth Dom, Earth/Grav Dom, Ice/Shield Scrapper and what should go without saying for reasons that may not be as obvious to everyone as it is to me - ice/ice blaster. 

Ice/ice blast is just the BEST AT/Powerset combo in the game for me. And it probably would be for you, too, if you thought like me and played like me. But since you don't, you go ahead and take the fire/fire and die a lot while I never (well, only very rarely) get defeated. 
Ice patch in lower levels to help mitigate damage. You can respec out of it, and probably should, once you figure out how to navigate battles safely. 
A quick freeze ray to hold a boss with two applications that generally take less than 8 seconds, while you kill everything else - and that's at level 8. 
The sustain, Frigid Protection is just crazy good. 
Blizzard is like Burn, a phenomenal Psuedo-pet that is larger in area and does more damage. The only reason it's not better than burn is a slower recharge. 

• Like 1

For those of you looking into Dominators for the first time, a while back I' wrote a guide on how to do a "trust fund build" that gets you to permadom levels relatively painlessly. It will show you some of the quickest and most popular paths to getting your Dom up and running. I do think it's a class that needs IO work before it really becomes manageable.

So, what makes this class so strange is lot of its potential comes from the epics. Dominators have two extremely good epic APP choices that lead you down either the path of debuffer or extra-sturdy abomination if played right. They're worth knowing about if you've never played the class, because in a lot of ways they define what the class is actually capable of, and that isn't very apparent if you've only dabbled or played at lower levels.

First, from their Ice APP, the (honestly overpowered, perhaps justified for saving the class from obscurity) Sleet. It's not quite as strong as the "real" version Cold Domination gets; 90 recharge instead of 60, and the rain lasts 15 seconds versuses the real version which lasts 30. But, the debuff lasts 30 seconds after the rain departs. So, this power can very reasonably get down to a 30 second recharge and end up double stacking on difficult enemies. At that point you're actually beating out a lot of Defender and Controller builds who either can't stack the debuff at all (e.g. Sonic Resonance, Radiation) or can't reasonably get the recharge low enough (Thermal, Time).

image.png.0b7a9663eac8ecb7e015460dbddfed9d.png  

(What's kinda interesting here is a lot of folks roll Defenders, Controller and Corruptors for their debuffs, particularly -Regen and -Resist. A  .../Psi/Ice Dominator packs -30% to -60% Resist and -500% Regen, as good or better than many of those toons. You likely won't have the Def/Corruptors ranged attack  power, but you'll pick up control abilities instead. It's just a surprising option open to a class not normally associated with those abilities).

The second APP of note is the Psi APP. It's mainly notable for a trifecta of powers that individually aren't that amazing but in combination are pretty sensational:

image.thumb.png.8e42038df3df0887d294733b2e53d2d9.png

So, Dominators are not a class known for having any Defense whatsoever. But their Psi APP provides an enhanceable baseline of 4.25% defense to all, 25.5% defense to Psi(!!) and still provides a Resist armor with baseline 23% resist to smash/lethal and 18.7% to Psi. You pay for this by losing out on the debuff of Sleet and a good aoe blast (Psinado is cool looking but not particularly strong). But it's worth knowing about, because Dominators are unexpectedly capable of soft capping.

This  is particularly true of /Psi Assault Dominators, because having their healing and recovery already covered, they can dip into Destiny Barrier for the +5% always-up defense and conceivably toe into a capped to multiple vectors build, as can be seen here:

image.thumb.png.19624ef8e6a7f73cbe0ab9d5f60f7c6d.png

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Thumbs Up 1

Say what you will about trudging uphill (both ways) in daily blizzards; I happen to think that playing a Tanker somewhat 'old school' (i.e. don't shoot through levels 15 - 40) offers lessons that are valuable about game mechanics and AI, even in this era of cheap and easy Defense caps.

I think there is also something to be learned by playing HEATs, VEATs, and Masterminds. The VEATs are very flexible, and in some ways the easiest to play... as players can fall into familiar patterns with them (close or range or control or pets). Masterminds are tricky for many different reasons: getting control of the henchmen is just one aspect, the real challenge IMO is to make the MM work when flipping between solo and team play. Masterminds will teach players who favor DPS just what all the other players are doing with their buffs & debuffs. HEATs are in a weird (perhaps under-powered) place. They can be frustrating to both build and play... I find their challenge to be (aside from custom enemies) getting into a rhythm when playing them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1