Name one thing you dislike about playing Masterminds

Zewks

25 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

Hamis.  Most of my pets follow this general slotting formula, each set is different in some way, however

acc/dmg hami

acc/dmg hami

acc/dmg/end IO/ATO

3 procs/globals, generally whatever is needed

Going through how I slot each primaries pets is going to take way too long.  even then for recharge intensive pets I go 4/6 ATO1 and focus on acc/dmg/rech, and 2/6 ATO2 to fill out the rest to really max out recharge on said powers while still raking in two 10% rech bonuses

Here's the things:

Why should players have to wait until level 47 until they can slot their henchmen? Masterminds are one of the few AT where I find myself putting all my slots (as I level) into the summons powers without even considering slotting other powers.

I'm aware of the different HOs, but often there are other features that Henchmen can be slotted for than just acc/dam

There are set bonuses that can benefit the MM that won't be had with 3 HO and 3 %procs.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, tidge said:

Here's the things:

Why should players have to wait until level 47 until they can slot their henchmen? Masterminds are one of the few AT where I find myself putting all my slots (as I level) into the summons powers without even considering slotting other powers.

I'm aware of the different HOs, but often there are other features that Henchmen can be slotted for than just acc/dam

There are set bonuses that can benefit the MM that won't be had with 3 HO and 3 %procs.

As for the level 47 thing, every AT blooms at max level with all their slots and masterminds just shine a little harder at 50 vs one just leveling.

And as for set bonuses, I just dont go for them because they do not effect pets.  And even if they did 3 IO sets (most of the time) will not be anywhere as good as jamming in 3-6 globals into 3 pets.

Take a few of my corrs for example, some just do not have any Defense slottable abilities other than [Weave] on a few of them.  Now do I want a 5/6 or 6/6 Red Fortune set?  Or should I slap in 2 Cytos, a LOTG7.5/def, a shield wall and reactive defenses proc?  thats 3 goodies jammed into 5 slots on top of [weave]s defense, way better than Red Fortune can do

1 hour ago, kelika2 said:

As for the level 47 thing, every AT blooms at max level with all their slots and masterminds just shine a little harder at 50 vs one just leveling.

meh.jpg.12ad31de406821d535438ecab47fa102.jpg

Edited by tidge
perhaps clarifying
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

For me, it's just the inherent nature of masterminds insofar as (most) everything that gets done I have to do indirectly through pets.  

It's like the difference between driving an automobile and driving an automobile by remote control from a different automobile following the first one.  Oddly enough, I have a number of dreams about doing the latter, and they all end up in some sort of accident because the car I'm in keeps falling farther and farther behind.  Paging Dr. Freud!

Anyway, my neuroses aside, it's just not a playstyle I particularly enjoy.  I've got a bunch of mms, even a few 50s, but that was enough to realize that I don't really like the playstyle and that's ok.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

#1 Group Fly. It breaks some other archetype's power sets and you can't disable it affecting you during a tf. and you have to go to pocket D and back. And it makes some MM essentially hover blasters. and you need group fly on some maps or you will agro the whole map (unless you constantly resummon). Make group fly not affecting you a console command.  

#2 Bots that get stuck in the wall. Even release pets wont get that pet back, he will still be in the geometry somewhere just not in the pet window (upon resummon). You have to zone to get the bot back. (another reason group fly is nice for them)

Not being able to mule the pet uniques make not play some MM primaries so that might bug me the most. 

MMs are my favorite, by far.  Out of the 116 characters I track, 20 are MMs, twice as many as the next highest total for any other AT.  Well, I have the same number of Stalkers but most of those are "administrative", doesn't really matter.  My point here is I'm answering from the perspective of a MM aficionado.

All that said there are many major annoyances - uninterested minions for several seconds after exiting an elevator, for example.  The OP though is asking for one thing.  I think it's going to be something a power leveler (or heavy teamer) wouldn't even notice - the late teens, early 20s struggle.  Enemies seem to ramp up and if you're actually playing in the Rogue Isles there are a number of enemies that are really MM unfriendly, with lots of aoes.

This is my perceived power chart for MMs.  Data was meticulously gathered, don't even ask.  There's just a period where you lose ground while everyone else is getting stronger.

image.png.1347c291fba5430a72d97caf7e84422b.png

So that's my #1 complaint, I'd like to see a smoother ride.  I could fill out a top 10 complaints very easily as well.

Again though, my favorite AT by a long shot.

Edited by Hedgefund
  • Thumbs Up 2

There is no mastermind pet customization.

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

15 hours ago, pblue said:

If we got the ability to customise Masterminds pets I'd don't think you'd be able to separate me from my computer again!

Is that a complaint or a wish?

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

1 hour ago, bustacap said:

#1 Group Fly. It breaks some other archetype's power sets and you can't disable it affecting you during a tf. and you have to go to pocket D and back. And it makes some MM essentially hover blasters. and you need group fly on some maps or you will agro the whole map (unless you constantly resummon). Make group fly not affecting you a console command.  

#2 Bots that get stuck in the wall. Even release pets wont get that pet back, he will still be in the geometry somewhere just not in the pet window (upon resummon). You have to zone to get the bot back. (another reason group fly is nice for them)

Not being able to mule the pet uniques make not play some MM primaries so that might bug me the most. 

IMO, your pets should simply get your travel powers.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

1 hour ago, Hedgefund said:

MMs are my favorite, by far.  Out of the 116 characters I track, 20 are MMs, twice as many as the next highest total for any other AT.  Well, I have the same number of Stalkers but most of those are "administrative", doesn't really matter.  My point here is I'm answering from the perspective of a MM aficionado.

All that said there are many major annoyances - uninterested minions for several seconds after exiting an elevator, for example.  The OP though is asking for one thing.  I think it's going to be something a power leveler (or heavy teamer) wouldn't even notice - the late teens, early 20s struggle.  Enemies seem to ramp up and if you're actually playing in the Rogue Isles there are a number of enemies that are really MM unfriendly, with lots of aoes.

This is my perceived power chart for MMs.  Data was meticulously gathered, don't even ask.  There's just a period where you lose ground while everyone else is getting stronger.

image.png.1347c291fba5430a72d97caf7e84422b.png

So that's my #1 complaint, I'd like to see a smoother ride.  I could fill out a top 10 complaints very easily as well.

Again though, my favorite AT by a long shot.

Oh yes, and this is particularly bad on those MM's like my ninja/cold. Even with the medicine pool, and my settings at the basic +0/x1, I have a hard time keeping them up once I hit the 20's in the Rogue Isles, and my genin are even equipped with a KD IO generously gifted to me from someone here (<3) for some CC. And as someone who doesn't douse their characters in IO's when they hit level 22ish, it's even more of a struggle; I'd hate to be someone new to the game or newly returning and hitting that wall and then getting frustrated with the AT as a whole.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

On 5/30/2022 at 4:44 PM, Killawar said:

Pets being equal level to the MM. What's so wrong with having a t3 that's orange to you? 

I really like this idea. If all pets were bumped up one level it would make a big difference. T3 at orange, T2 at yellow and T1's at white. Could make T1's somewhat survivable in very hard content without needing to build for super survivability.

Edited by jeremyy
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, pblue said:

For petless-masterminds, the high Endurance costs must be murder.

I found work arounds for that and accept those short comings. 

But with attacks you are limited in slowing down the attack chain. Meaning you can't go full tilt like you can with other Archtypes. 

On 5/19/2022 at 12:12 PM, Zewks said:

I know there might be many, but lets stick with your biggest thing. Its fine if people have duplicate responses. Who knows, maybe it will help the devs see areas where most would like to see improvements.

For me it comes down to one primary thing:

- Pets being lower level than you.

The fact that field effects essentially turn off my entire primary power set. Nothing like trying to do a Knives of Artemis mission with a Mastermind to make you hate the game.

This could be for pets in general, but I've got ONE word for you:

CAVES

• Sad 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 5/23/2022 at 11:06 PM, Hedgefund said:

There's just a period where you lose ground while everyone else is getting stronger.

That's my main problem with peacebringers. You get an astronomical boost at level 6, another at level 20 and then you just kind of fart about with the same powers while everyone else is picking up new fun cool kid powers...  until about level 40 when light form is finally up enough to be reliable and you're basically a mediocre blaster with mez resistance. Warshades have it a bit easier because they can basically fulcrum shift themselves. 

Anyway, in answer to the question... you sacrifice three skills to pets and two to upgrades, so your secondary can really make or break the set in terms of playstyle. I found that on my bots/sonic mastermind I was just sort of hanging round waiting for things to die while levelling. It felt very hands-off.  

• Thumbs Up 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

On 5/23/2022 at 2:56 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

For me, it's just the inherent nature of masterminds insofar as (most) everything that gets done I have to do indirectly through pets.  

... <snipped> ...

Same here.

Maybe i need a "Cat Lord".  Then at least I'd be literally herding cats.  🐈 

Will say a few of the more memorable teams I've been on we're predominantly MM.

First case I joined a team in the low 40's.  My Corruptor and 6 Robot MMs.  Thank God I was a range AT and for tab target.  Second case was a special teaming project in RO.  Caltrops, lots of caltrops.  Generated by my lone Stalker and up to 7 MM of the Ninja variety.  Now I don't recall who, what or how but there were ridiculous swaths of caltrops getting laid between us all.  Things, tough things were getting decimated by huge patches of caltrops.  Third was a craziness with trying to destroy the server with "let's see what happens if we drop a whole lot of Gang Wars simultaneously" ... lag, lots of lag.  Made a mockery of the lag and rendering experienced in a Mothership or a Hami Raid.

On 5/23/2022 at 2:56 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

It's like the difference between driving an automobile and driving an automobile by remote control from a different automobile following the first one.  Oddly enough, I have a number of dreams about doing the latter, and they all end up in some sort of accident because the car I'm in keeps falling farther and farther behind.  Paging Dr. Freud!

Anyway, my neuroses aside, it's just not a playstyle I particularly enjoy.  I've got a bunch of mms, even a few 50s, but that was enough to realize that I don't really like the playstyle and that's ok.

I get what you're saying, but, (outside of damage auras or other pets), there is no other AT that can fire off more than 1 attack/other power simultaneously.

• Thumbs Up 1