Idiots manipulating market

Snarky

Case in point.  Uncommon salvage prices spiking.  No reason.  Except some obnoxious buttface had nothing better to do than take a thousand character slots and max out each of their AH options for 10k bids on uncommon salvage

this crap adds nothing to the fame, is abusive, petty, and annoying.   

this crap redefines being a “petty” marketer 

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Supertanker said:

Then sell your Uncommon Salvage. Easy money.

Right?  I don't see a problem if I have to spend 10k more influence for yellows.  It's a drop in the bucket if I'm making 2mm profit per craft.  And presumably anyone who needs cash inf, who are presumably the most needy, are getting a windfall?  Nope, I have no problems with uncommon salvage right now, except it's harder to buy it in short order.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Who run Bartertown?

Thank you both for self identification as people that spend hours of your time to make everyone else’s life harder.  

love the reasons you give too.  A truly evil politician always adds lipstick to the pig

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Snarky said:

Thank you both for self identification as people that spend hours of your time to make everyone else’s life harder.  

love the reasons you give too.  A truly evil politician always adds lipstick to the pig

BZZZTT!  Wrong answer.  Most of the people working the market are not hurting anyone and some are benefiting people.

Example:  I marketeer by buying garbage uncommon recipes that no one wants (i.e.  600 for sale, 50 bids), crafting them and converting them into stuff that people want (i.e. anything that sells for 1 million or more).  I am giving money to people who are selling junk and keeping the price of good enhancements lower than they would be if there were less supply.  Of course, the people selling the junk could do this themselves but they aren't - due to being too busy, too lazy, or lacking knowledge of converters and the market.

Also, when Supertanker said "Then sell your Uncommon Salvage. Easy money.", how the hell is that making anyone's life harder???

All they said is that if the price is high, you should be selling instead of buying.  That's common sense.  Nothing they said indicates they do ANYTHING in the market.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

2 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Of course, the people selling the junk could do this themselves but they aren't - due to being too busy, too lazy, or lacking knowledge of converters and the market.

im too busy and too lazy.  my next infusion of recipies for sale at 1 inf each should be soon.  

30 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

BZZZTT!  Wrong answer.  Most of the people working the market are not hurting anyone and some are benefiting people.

Example:  I marketeer by buying garbage uncommon recipes that no one wants (i.e.  600 for sale, 50 bids), crafting them and converting them into stuff that people want (i.e. anything that sells for 1 million or more).  I am giving money to people who are selling junk and keeping the price of good enhancements lower than they would be if there were less supply.  Of course, the people selling the junk could do this themselves but they aren't - due to being too busy, too lazy, or lacking knowledge of converters and the market.

Also, when Supertanker said "Then sell your Uncommon Salvage. Easy money.", how the hell is that making anyone's life harder???

All they said is that if the price is high, you should be selling instead of buying.  That's common sense.  Nothing they said indicates they do ANYTHING in the market.

Applying extra lipstick does not make the pig any prettier

If you buy junk recipes from the AH, craft convert sell, then you are adding value to the market

If you are buying EVERYTHING in a certain category (this is called cornering the market) and relisting it at a higher price so everyone who buys pays you the difference you are adding NOTHING to the market.

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

Snarky, it is impossible to corner the market on salvage.  All salvage of the same color is bucketed together so all uncommon salvage are basically the same.  Sometimes too many people buy and not enough people sell causing a spike in prices.  Sometimes it is a person or group trying to manipulate.  But it doesn't last long.  It's not sustainable and those that try usually end up in a loss.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

38 minutes ago, TheZag said:

20 minutes in a casual farm and u can buy 700 at that price.  I enjoy paying 1k or less as much as the next guy but even the seeded price for uncommons isnt very high.

What are the seed prices for white yellow and orange salvage? Wanting make sure I'm not paying over seed 

9 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Applying extra lipstick does not make the pig any prettier

If you buy junk recipes from the AH, craft convert sell, then you are adding value to the market

If you are buying EVERYTHING in a certain category (this is called cornering the market) and relisting it at a higher price so everyone who buys pays you the difference you are adding NOTHING to the market.

Calm down, Snarks. It's a tiny drop of water and whomever is doing it must have come from WoW or something where this is a lot more common. Once they realize they are listing stacks of 10 at a time to make 100k profit but could be playing the game and earning 15 mill it tapers off.

It's not the first time it has happened, and in any case anyone just playing the game comes out of a map with 5 million raw inf for five minutes. Paying 10k for salvage, eh.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Snarky, it is impossible to corner the market on salvage.  All salvage of the same color is bucketed together so all uncommon salvage are basically the same.  Sometimes too many people buy and not enough people sell causing a spike in prices.  Sometimes it is a person or group trying to manipulate.  But it doesn't last long.  It's not sustainable and those that try usually end up in a loss.

I know a few marketeers.  Their (endless) diatribes on how "easy" it is to make money on the AH leaves me bored enough to want to run a PUG Synapse.  With multiple accts each with 1000 slots per server you can honestly just spend all your time making the market bend to your will.  Maybe it will not last long.  Or maybe you load in another acct and try harder.  People buy Bitcoin and that shit is worthless after all.

I'm market apathetic, only bothering to craft purples and pvps so I do end up using yellows occasionally.  When I need something I don't have I put my standard 3 figure bid out for yellows and 99.9% of the time the order is fulfilled with the next 24-72 hours.  Being apathetic I don't have any urgency to have orders filled.  So, just posting to say "patience grasshopper".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

All of this is accurate - BUT - in a game where you can create more salvage out of thin air, no one can corner the market except in the very short term.

Also, let's take a step back and look at the big picture.  The price was around 1500 and now it's around 10,100 - so that's an increase of about 8600 inf.  If someone is doing their final build, we have like 98 slots to fill.  If every recipe needs one uncommon, that's about 843,000 inf across the entire build.  So little that it's irrelevant.

In my marketeering, my recipe/salvage/crafting/converter cost is around 200,000 and I'm selling for 1 million or more so I'm making 8600 less per sale.  Again, so small it's irrelevant.

So, while it may be irritating to pay 11,000 for something that used to cost 1400, the difference isn't really hurting anyone.  It's just annoying because you know it SHOULD be cheaper.

Edited by Ironblade
  • Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

2 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

So, while it may be irritating to pay 11,000 for something that used to cost 1400, the difference isn't really hurting anyone.  It's just annoying because you know it SHOULD be cheaper.

Yes.  It is annoying ME

so everyone stop this stupid crap

• Thumbs Down 1