Not Complaining, But...

Erratic1

If I was worried about the characters I would have played them far more recently than indicated, and I have no problem with the names going back into circulation if someone wants one I have, but even for ones I might like to keep there ain't no way I'm going to go and hit page after page of characters to weed out even the keepers. 😁

NCReN.thumb.jpg.280bae9701d4a7cb259a30b9870b8a8c.jpg

my conclusion from doing this atm is the log out timer needs to be removed absolutely the most frustrating thing

//edit to anyone else doing this annoyance i suggest forcing window mode to be able to tab out

Edited by PainX
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Mezmera said:

1000+ days eh?  Maybe some fresh player will appreciate the passing of the mantle and will look to represent on a more frequent basis.  When you see them on the streets you can say hey that was me and be proud.  :classic_tongue:

I figure if I am not playing the character, I truly don't need the name. Not making it easy is my way of telling myself, "Perhaps I will make a new character based on the name that is more entertaining than the character that got the name."

1 minute ago, Mezmera said:

1000+ days eh?  Maybe some fresh player will appreciate the passing of the mantle and will look to represent on a more frequent basis.  When you see them on the streets you can say hey that was me and be proud.  :classic_tongue:

As long as the player is not on a Regen toon. If they are then I'm going to yell "Nerf Regen" and run 😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

I think that page has one or two that people might actually want. Blurred things because I did not want to make them too easy to snag. 😛

Well, only the warning system is in right now, nobody's snagging anything.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Parabola said:

Park your characters in a safe zone like pocket d.

This. Also nearly all the locations you can earn Day Job badges will instantly log you out as well.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

I'm suspecting I'm safe from this just on the pretense that most of my character names are often so obscure to begin with, or include aspects of other languages that they're highly unlikely to even be thought of. It's kind of that "monkeys in a room typing Shakespeare" kind of scenario. Someone might get it eventually, but it'll take a while.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Parabola said:

Park your characters in a safe zone like pocket d.

Any day job location is a safe place to park ... well, sometimes a zombie invasion will void some locations...

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Hero_Day_Job_Badges

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

5 hours ago, Mezmera said:

This is a much MUCH better response than what I was going to write.  Well said!

As the saying goes "Sharing is caring!"

3 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Any day job location is a safe place to park ... well, sometimes a zombie invasion will void some locations...

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Hero_Day_Job_Badges

Aw. they're just being friendly. What's a little barf between friends... (Eww,)

• Haha 3

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 8/23/2022 at 7:01 PM, Erratic1 said:

for ones I might like to keep there ain't no way I'm going to go and hit page after page of characters to weed out even the keepers. 😁

Working as intended, in that case!

Edited by Herotu
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Herotu said:

It's reclamation, not theft.

theft is theft. Sophistry will not change that. if it only affected accounts that hadnt logged in in a year, you might be right. Its like when someone went into my back yard and "reclaimed" my lawn chair. I mean I wasnt sitting in it so I must not have needed it.

Edited by ivanhedgehog
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 6

9 hours ago, ivanhedgehog said:

if it only affected accounts that hadnt logged in in a year, you might be right

Ehm.. no. I don't see how the amount of time changes whether I'm right or wrong. I think I'm either one or the other in the whole of my opinion. I think you mean to suggest that a year might be a more appropriate timescale for the proposed system. 

In which case, we're debating over the parameters within the proposed system and not whether it's reclamation rather than theft.

There's no sophistry here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, Herotu said:

Ehm.. no. I don't see how the amount of time changes whether I'm right or wrong. I think I'm either one or the other in the whole of my opinion. I think you mean to suggest that a year might be a more appropriate timescale for the proposed system. 

In which case, we're debating over the parameters within the proposed system and not whether it's reclamation rather than theft.

There's no sophistry here.

If I drive away with your car in the night...you werent using it. theft.

"I was only taking it for a spin! Why are you so selfish?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

On 8/24/2022 at 2:01 AM, Erratic1 said:

even for ones I might like to keep there ain't no way I'm going to go and hit page after page of characters to weed out even the keepers.

Why not? It takes less than 3 minutes to log in and out. And if your toon is above level 6, you have another year before you have to repeat the process. If you can't be bothered to do such a tiny effort for the name you're refusing to part with, then you shouldn't be so sore if the system enacts its protocols. The devs put in their (free) time, thinking and physical effort to make the entire thing as fair to both camps. I feel the least we can do is play by their rules.

I was thinking of a different approach, but can't test it at the moment:
1) A toon with name "Awesomely-Named Man" is flagged with a warning
2) Take another idle alt, one preferably without a warning, and rename switch names with it.
3) Since both toons are idle anyway, you can just wait a day or two before switching the names back.

This should circumvent the potentially lost minutes of logging in and out of a toon with a warning. 

Edited by Six-Six

2 hours ago, Six-Six said:

Why not? It takes less than 3 minutes to log in and out. And if your toon is above level 6, you have another year before you have to repeat the process. If you can't be bothered to do such a tiny effort for the name you're refusing to part with, then you shouldn't be so sore if the system enacts its protocols. The devs put in their (free) time, thinking and physical effort to make the entire thing as fair to both camps. I feel the least we can do is play by their rules.

I was thinking of a different approach, but can't test it at the moment:
1) A toon with name "Awesomely-Named Man" is flagged with a warning
2) Take another idle alt, one preferably without a warning, and rename switch names with it.
3) Since both toons are idle anyway, you can just wait a day or two before switching the names back.

This should circumvent the potentially lost minutes of logging in and out of a toon with a warning. 

Where did you get the idea I was sore or would be?  The thread's title literally says, "I'm not complaining." 

I hold onto the characters because I am too lazy to strip and delete them if I am being honest with myself. Well, that and most of them have a concept, which seeing, makes me quasi-nostalgic over that sense of possibility which existed when I created them but was not lived up to in some way in actual play. Toss in the effort of giving them backgrounds, costumes, names...I am in no rush to delete them. But honestly, I am almost assuredly not going to  play them ever again.

Of course some chunk of them got touched this last weekend when I was hunting for recipes/enhancements I could transfer to my most recent, baby Dominator because I refuse to pay the inflated prices being asked for basic IOs in the level 25 range due to the rush of characters being created upping demand and prices. Yeah, I can afford the prices just like I can afford gasoline at $6 per gallon, but I am not paying either price. 

The humorous upside of filtering unplayed characters for recipes/enhancements is noticing you've made the same AT/primary/secondary more than once. Poor Electric/Energy Aura Stalker...you are just not meant to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

Where did you get the idea I was sore or would be?  The thread's title literally says, "I'm not complaining." 

I think it's important to have this discussion. I also believe that even the most ardent advocate of land grabbing is happy with the system as long as the time period is reasonable. Even @ivanhedgehog admits that one year might be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1