Page 4 experiences so far...

KaizenSoze

Just now, Krimson said:

Having AE in Atlas really does set it up so most of the AE traffic ends up there.  But removing it doesn't mean everyone is going to fill up King's Row.

Pocket D -- getting to the truck just ENE of City Hall is easier than taking the tram to KR and then running the couple of blocks to the AE building there.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

I have not seen a lot of in game chat about AFK farmers dying.

There is a build somewhere in the beta forum comments. I think the change AE change, which had a build which can AFK farm.

It's high regen and you'll need accolades. *queue* All fire farmer Moonfire!

Yes, there are builds in @America's Angel post at the beginning of thread.

BTW I don't know what missions @America's Angel is referencing in AE, but neither of those show up for me in AE search box.  However, all my old AFK fire farms work just fine.

Maybe the flux of AE entities to Pocket D will make for more lively action; buy me a drink you powerleveling hunk of a fire brute.

• Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

2 hours ago, roleki said:

One thing I DON'T like about P4 is the smug shitbreathing some people are doing about the confusion surrounding the sudden disappearance of AE from AP.  Hahaha, fuck those people who dared logging into your carefully gatekept ancient ass game, amirite?  Who needs em?

They’re confused, briefly. It’s not the end of the world. They haven’t been gate kept. What a ridiculous take.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

I think it's worth mentioning - it's said only about 10% of the player base visits the forums after the initial account creation. 

For reasons which escape me, they just don't. And if they don't, then they genuinely have no idea what's going on, unless someone specifically tells them. 

I remember back in issue 3, when I'd first bought the game. A forum account wasn't required. It never occurred to me there would be a forum! But, I had never played this "MMO" type of game before, and honestly wasn't really clear on what MMO meant. I seriously thought Massive Multiplayer meant that millions of people were playing the game online - not that they were playing it together. I thought it was a marketing gimmick to encourage people to buy. It was around issue 6 that someone figured they'd teach me how to fish, rather than give me a fish, figuratively speaking. 

I spent a good two days on the forums, just reading everything. To say I was ignorant would be a massive understatement. For several issues, I could never figure out why Pickle was so damned mean, telling me my blasters Freeze Ray wasn't any good against Hamidon. I had no idea that a controller's hold had more "mag" than a blasters. (All before set inventions and the nifty bonuses) I just thought she was being a bitch, making stuff up to prevent me from doing what I wanted to do. I was one of those ignorant people, who was so clueless, I wasn't even aware of what I didn't know. 

We have a lot of players like that now. They are blissfully ignorant and genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. It's not their fault. There's nothing to drive them to the forums. There's nothing to encourage them to spend a bit of a time making a shortcut or two to the homecoming wiki or other out-of-game sources of information, like the forums. 

So, sure, repetitive questions are going to happen, and we should expect them! Belittling these folks won't do anything to improve anybody's experience playing the game. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 5

11 minutes ago, ZemX said:

Not saying there's no anti-farm smugness in there somewhere

I don't want to suggest it because of the inevitable fewmet-storm it would produce on both sides of the argument, but I have to wonder what the effect would be if the AE buildings had 'chat blocker technology' installed -- chat inside an AE building would not be heard outside, and vice versa. Someone wanting to advertise a farm could leave the building -- going out onto one of the balconies is easy enough -- but if you wanted to beg for a slot on a farm from the people running them, you'd have to go into the building, at which point your 'LF farm' messages wouldn't be heard in the rest of the zone (or outside the building for requests in LFG). I can think of good arguments both ways, but I think the counterargument that it would be complicated to do, and the HC staff has more important things to fix is probably the strongest, no matter how attractive having the farm traffic mostly disappear inside the AE buildings would be.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Ukase said:

I spent a good two days on the forums, just reading everything. To say I was ignorant would be a massive understatement. For several issues, I could never figure out why Pickle was so damned mean, telling me my blasters Freeze Ray wasn't any good against Hamidon. I had no idea that a controller's hold had more "mag" than a blasters. (All before set inventions and the nifty bonuses) I just thought she was being a bitch, making stuff up to prevent me from doing what I wanted to do. I was one of those ignorant people, who was so clueless, I wasn't even aware of what I didn't know. 

We're all new at some point.  My first character was an Invulnerability tank who didn't take Unyielding because the description said you would be rooted.  Eventually when I found out that wasn't the case I had already grown accustomed to my Emp friend thus didn't waste a power pick when I could just get Clear Mind.  Rock tanks had their Kins, I had an Emp...

I'd never make that mistake again, my next tank was Shield.  :classic_tongue:

14 hours ago, Number Six said:

I see them, thank you for sending in crash dumps. Looks like they all have basically the same stack trace, too, which should hopefully make this an easy fix.

Seeing this earlier in the morning and then seeing the patch notes can't help but make me smile. There is nothing more satisfying than good error logs resulting in fixing a long standing bug.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

They’re confused, briefly. It’s not the end of the world. They haven’t been gate kept. What a ridiculous take.

Yeah?  So to your mind, when General, LFG, and Help are all sneering at them, and they come here to the forums and see the same thing, they'll just shrug it off and Play The Game The Right Way?

Ok.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

19 minutes ago, Ukase said:

I think it's worth mentioning - it's said only about 10% of the player base visits the forums after the initial account creation. 

And they shouldn't be required to, IMO.  The forums should supplement the game, not be a required part of it.

The biggest example of the game pretty much requiring access to the forums is how players are expected to make money—i.e., by getting reward merits and turning them into inf either by selling converters or building IO set enhancements from recipes.  There's nothing in the game that would give a new player even the slightest idea that they should do that.  They either have to visit the forums or have a friendly player tell them in chat.

AE's disappearance from Atlas Park is in a similar category.  I just checked, and everyone in the new Fort Trident acts like it's been there all along.  If you want to know what happened to AE, you have to go to the forums or ask in the game chat.

Personally, I think more could have been done to give some in-lore continuity to AE's disappearance.  But at the very least, the Longbow Info Guide should be able to give an answer to the question, "Hey, what happened to AE?"  I won't promise that many AEers would get far enough to see that option or read the answer, but it would at least be something in-game to say why the heck AE has been replaced by a Freedom Corps base.

2 minutes ago, roleki said:

Yeah?  So to your mind, when General, LFG, and Help are all sneering at them, and they come here to the forums and see the same thing, they'll just shrug it off and Play The Game The Right Way?

Ok.

I sat in Atlas for an hour. Every single time somebody asked about it they were given an honest answer, go look in KR, pocket D, steel, IP, or many other zones. Nobody sneered at them. Everybody just gave them the answer immediately. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Zhym said:

AE's disappearance from Atlas Park is in a similar category.  I just checked, and everyone in the new Fort Trident acts like it's been there all along.  If you want to know what happened to AE, you have to go to the forums or ask in the game chat.

This was not my experience yesterday. I saw people giving honest answers over and over and over again.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

This was not my experience yesterday. I saw people giving honest answers over and over and over again.

That's the "ask in the game chat" part.

(By "everyone in the new Fort Trident," I mean the NPC contacts, not the players in Atlas Park.)

Edited by Zhym

3 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Yeah, so hope your happy. Not sure what is so different from your eardrums from mine, but your team has successfully got yet another enjoyable aspect of the game nerfed. Grtz on that. Guess your team has truly super hearing, because not once have I ever thought it was hurting my eardrums. Makes me think you guys just play the game at super volumes or something. And I even wear headphones when I play...but I digress.

If all you've got to support your side is "I don't have a problem, therefore nobody has a problem" ... you don't have an argument and never did.

I have told you before, repeatedly, that I play this game at volume settings I wouldn't be able to hear any other game at.  Pretty much everyone here has acknowledged at some point that City of Heroes is a very fucking loud game.  Not that you've ever given a shit for the people you're physically hurting by spamming stacking noise-pollution effects.

And since you've made such a big deal about pulling up stakes and moving if your ability to noise-troll gets "nerfed" ... Buh-bye.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

overall the new patch has a lot of good new content, customisation and begins steering the game in the right direction - really looking forward to the next instalment 

the shine has been slightly dulled on my kin/sonic def, perhaps it’s time to make a 3rd alt and re-roll it as a /dark 

4 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Yeah, so hope your happy. Not sure what is so different from your eardrums from mine, but your team has successfully got yet another enjoyable aspect of the game nerfed. Grtz on that. Guess your team has truly super hearing, because not once have I ever thought it was hurting my eardrums. Makes me think you guys just play the game at super volumes or something. And I even wear headphones when I play...but I digress.

dude I set City of Heroes' volume at 2 on volume mixer and I can hear the game when I go outside and down the driveway to get my mail

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

@Twi - Phobia on Everlasting

• City Council

I kid you not I've seriously entertained the possibility of changing the in-game volume slider so that it goes from 1-10 instead of 1-100.

Or make the current 20 the new 100 at the very most.

Is there anyone at all who has ever set it above 15?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Number Six said:

I kid you not I've seriously entertained the possibility of changing the in-game volume slider so that it goes from 1-10 instead of 1-100.

Or make the current 20 the new 100 at the very most.

Is there anyone at all who has ever set it above 15?

Hell no, 2 at max. I realize that most of our player base is a senior citizen center. But, I'm not that damn deaf.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Personally, I loved the cacophony of Howling Twilight, but I understand not everybody becomes giddy when the walls of their house bow outward and the roof lifts into the sky then crashes back down to settle at an odd angle.  I'll have to figure out some other way to identify when the GM has a regen debuff applied.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

I think there is a balance to be struck. Some powers became obnoxiously loud when they stacked, things like howling twilight and stone cages spring to mind. But others like dna siphon and radiation therapy were never all that loud and now are way quieter than other powers. I get why we'd want to reign in some of the worst offenders but I think some powers have been affected that really didn't need to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• City Council
3 minutes ago, Parabola said:

I think there is a balance to be struck. Some powers became obnoxiously loud when they stacked, things like howling twilight and stone cages spring to mind. But others like dna siphon and radiation therapy were never all that loud and now are way quieter than other powers. I get why we'd want to reign in some of the worst offenders but I think some powers have been affected that really didn't need to be.

Those probably started out quieter because they were designed with the volume stacking issue in mind, and could be raised up a bit now.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

• Developer
6 hours ago, srmalloy said:

This has always griped me about ambushes; they should be dispatched to the character's location, not targeted at the character. They should still have normal perception, so if you don't move far enough away (or they run past you) they should aggro, but if you're stealthed, they shouldn't have a target lock on you. And if they reach their target position and don't find anything, they should go on a random walk to see if they can find you nearby, not just stand there like idiots.

That's changed in the pipe. All ambushes in Valeria's arc no longer chase you with impunity.

When I implement the chase feature in the future, itll be for assassin whambushes of 1 or 2 very ill tempered LTs, or the like.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

hc_sig copy.jpg

There comes a time in which all stories must come to an end. It's a shame, hero, that you and your people aren't writing the end of yours. We've taken it upon ourselves to be the author of this universe's story, and your chapter will be added to the ever-growing story of how we dictated the path for all life.