Things you enjoy that other people seem to not enjoy

Yomo Kimyata

23 hours ago, Norl said:

Progress Quest

+! for Progress Quest! I used to leave it running over the weekends on work computers. The logs were hilarious!

I thought it was unique, then I discovered the recent mobile "Idle RPG" genre.

Is there a corollary to Poe's law that says "No idea is so silly that someone won't try to steal it?"

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Peanut butter and onion. 

Everyone I've ever told about that says "What? Ew!" but they're actually quite good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

On 9/28/2022 at 5:30 PM, biostem said:

There's also a tremendous freedom of movement, as opposed to other games, where a waist-high fence can completely stop you in your tracks.

Heh. That's something that drove me absolutely nuts when the live game shut down and I had to go back to WoW. I had gotten used to a level 2 character being able to clear a 10-foot wall, and now suddenly my max-level paladin's horse can't leap over a picket fence or a small boulder.

Edited by RikOz
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/29/2022 at 2:28 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

I would love it if Reveal didn't work on zone maps.

Zone maps are actually my main use for Reveal. I use it once I've collected all of the exploration badges, as seeing the fully-Revealed map gives me a quick way to determine, "Has this character fully explored this zone yet?" (opening the map is a lot quicker than digging through badges).

There are only two situations where I use Reveal in an instanced mission map:

I can't find that last hostage after extensive retracing of my steps, and I want to determine if, by some unlikely chance, there is a side passage that I've somehow missed.

I'm in one of those Dark Astoria caves that are so wide that, when running through them normally, the mapping function doesn't extend far enough from my character to detect the actual walls. Without seeing where the walls are on the map, I end up completely missing some side passages, or I keep finding myself repeatedly running through sections I've already been through. The trail on the map just looks like I'm running around an open-world "board transit" map.

As for things I enjoy that some others don't ... I enjoy completely clearing missions of enemies, even when the mission doesn't require it. (I don't see the appeal of stealthing to the end of the mission to punch just the named guy at the end.) Also, clicking every glowie whether I have to or not, even after the mission has been completed. Particularly when said glowie was listed as a mission objective, but the game sees that I've defeated the last enemy and decides to consider the mission "complete" even though I haven't clicked that glowie that was explicitly listed as an objective. I mean, I see the logic of considering the mission "complete" at that point, since there are no enemies remaining to stop me from, say, destroying that last computer, but dammit, I want to destroy that last computer!

Edited by RikOz
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/29/2022 at 5:28 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

I would love it if Reveal didn't work on zone maps.

Let me re-examine this statement.  I would love it if you were able to reset fog of war on zone maps.  Sometimes that happens when you switch alignment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

14 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I would love it if you were able to reset fog of war on zone maps.

I assume you are talking about an in-game means of doing so (which would be nice), but it is possible if you relocate/delete the client-side files that store the fog-of-war info. I posted a while back with some instructions for Tequila users. According the the HC Launcher technical info, the fog of war info is stored in the accounts folder, but I can't access my HC folder at the moment so I don't know beyond that how to find the fog of war files.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I assume you are talking about an in-game means of doing so (which would be nice), but it is possible if you relocate/delete the client-side files that store the fog-of-war info. I posted a while back with some instructions for Tequila users. According the the HC Launcher technical info, the fog of war info is stored in the accounts folder, but I can't access my HC folder at the moment so I don't know beyond that how to find the fog of war files.

The folder is Homecoming/accounts/<Account Name>/maps and then you have a series of files with a vm2 extension.

I think each file is for a character, but that's just a theory.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok. Playing around a bit and I'm 99% sure each file is for each character.

Pretty sure that each is a mask of what has been uncovered, but file structure is a bit of a mystery.

Based on my limited sample set, I'm thinking it's by zone visited, and each covered or not.

Deleting the file will just reset all fogs of war, but it will take a bit of work to figure out how to do it selectively.

That can be done by logging the character you wish to reset in, logging out and the latest file will be for that character.

• Like 1

Things you enjoy that other people seem to not enjoy

Hmm... eating foods that would normally have cheese, but without the cheese. The only real exception is pizza, where there is just enough cheese to hold the meat on. Lasagna had better have plenty of meat in it because I will scrape every piece of cheese out of it. 😁

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 10/4/2022 at 1:18 AM, MistressOhm said:

Peanut butter and onion.

Peanut butter and garlic, as in the Thai peanut sauce, is great, too!

Peanut butter and sharp cheddar cheese is one of my favorite sandwiches, though.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

8 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Lasagna had better have plenty of meat in it because I will scrape every piece of cheese out of it.

I make my lasagna with ricotta, which means it's kind of blended with the sauce and the meat. Parmesan goes on top, but not too much.  ALWAYS Italian sausage, never just 'ground beef'.  I also will slice thin, then soak, a zucchini or a calabacita squash, and use that as a layer along with the noodles.  Effing delicious. 

• Like 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

On 9/29/2022 at 5:29 PM, MistressOhm said:

Setting up costumes appropriate for a mission.   

Redside VEAT's cry out for this, not only for those 'incursions' into Paragon City, but also the regular missions, like taking out a Longbow base.  There's something about dressing up as Longbow on a stealth character, so that I'm completely unnoticed.... 

Oh yeah, I love doing that.  ALL of my characters have a 'Vanguard'-themed costume for fighting in the War Zone and a 'Roman'-themed costume for Cimerora.  Some, particularly my 'rogue' villains, have either a face-covering or more traditionally 'heroic' outfit for when they go to Paragon.  And, of course, all of my Malta and Knives of Artemis toons have at least one costume where they are disguised as a member of a different villain group, for when you need to do something deniable...

10 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

Laser Beam Eyes, any version.

Like Propel, it's another victim of the "the more awesome the power, the weaker its effect" rule.  And I don't care either, I try to take it.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 10/3/2022 at 12:53 AM, Norl said:

After noob levels, I stop renewing 2x xp

I haven't used the XP boost for a long, long time.

Like @Snarky, I'm a story player. I try to hit every mission in a level band that I think fits the character. I've spent more time with XP paused than with a XP boost active.

I don't think I'm rare in this, though - my good missions guide has had over forty-seven thousand views and the villain equivalent has had over sixteen thousand.

There are dozens of us! Dozens! 

Weirdly, I see it recommended by other people, which is really gratifying to see. I've actually been recommended my own guide before.

Anyway, my real answer: Peacebringers and Widows. Widows are the least-picked archetype and peacebringers are often seen as a weak choice in the post-IO game. They are so much fun. I'll take a jack of all trades over a master of one any day.

Also, exploration badges - there's some really nice map design out there that has literally no relevance to anything else in game, other than it looks cool and some dev clearly enjoyed themselves, all those years ago.

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

On 10/8/2022 at 6:57 PM, Gulbasaur said:

Also, exploration badges - there's some really nice map design out there that has literally no relevance to anything else in game, other than it looks cool and some dev clearly enjoyed themselves, all those years ago.

Collecting the Eden exploration badges is a wonderful way to spend some time.  The text on them is so atmospheric.

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

Caves - every single one of them.

The Croatoa missions where you have to rescue peeps from the redcaps & witches and there's ambushes

Carnival missions

Team wipes -(not intentional ones) I like seeing who will hold out the longest and if it's based on AT, IO's, Good game play or running away.

• Like 3

Buddy the Elf makes debut for HUB Late Night

Untitled.jpg

10 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

Collecting the Eden exploration badges is a wonderful way to spend some time.  The text on them is so atmospheric.

I was actually thinking of Eden - it's a really atmospheric zone with very reason for players to visit it.

• Like 2
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas