Things you enjoy that other people seem to not enjoy

Yomo Kimyata

I'm just curious as to some of the things that you like about this game but that others seem to dislike.

I say this as I'm going through some respecs, and I have to admit, I really enjoy the respec process.  Yes, I get it that when you only want to swap one power or one or two slots then it feels like a lot of effort for little return.  But mostly I respec when I'm making a major transition, and I actually like the process of cleaning up the disorganized mess that got me to 50.  I get all my ducks in a row, I reorganize my icons, I find all these temp powers that I forgot about.  I find it to be peaceful and cleansing.  Like doing a deep spring cleaning without, you know, getting on your knees and scrubbing.

Et tu?

• Like 7

Who run Bartertown?

4 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I'm just curious as to some of the things that you like about this game but that others seem to dislike.

Discounting the nostalgia about being at a particular point in my life when CoH first launched, there's a deliberate pace and feel to this game that seems absent in others.  There's also a tremendous freedom of movement, as opposed to other games, where a waist-high fence can completely stop you in your tracks.  I also like how, aesthetically, this game strikes a great balance between realism and its comic-book inspirations, without dipping into the uncanny valley.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 7

"Low" damage sets, like Kinetic Melee, Psi Melee, Staff, petless masterminds, punchy punchy RRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH controller and dominator, melee sentinels.  I have some of the harder-hitting stuff, and that's nice in a different way, but when I was going through my characters a couple of weeks ago, I realized I have a clear tendency to play things that a lot of people deride.  The "weak" ones are what I play the most, what I keep going back to when I should be working on my next alt.

Maybe I'm a sadist.  Or a cat.  Now that I think about it, cats are sadists, so... eh.

• Thumbs Up 4

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Sometimes I wonder if they know too much, though...

Like that woman Madeleine.  How does she know the exact number of hours my character has been online?  Is she a stalker?  Is there some deep level of surveillance going on in Paragon City, and Madeleine is our only tiny window into this hidden world?  It doesn't bear too much thinking about, really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I really enjoy the respec process.

I know one main thing that people don't like about the process :: everything getting taken out of your tray and thrown back in.

If a /respec could at least keep the macros in place in the trays, people wouldn't dislike it so much.

For myself, I don't like respec-ing because I feel like the wrong move I make while leveling up are part of the uniqueness of the character.

That isn't to say that I don't /respec sometimes. I think I have /respec'd 1-3 times since I've been on Homecoming.

3 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I actually like the process of cleaning up the disorganized mess that got me to 50. 

I usually don't play past level 50.

I am pretty sure I haven't /respec'd any of the characters that I leveled to 50.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I enjoy filling my AEs with stupid amounts of CoX lore and easter eggs.  I don't care if no one else gets it or finds them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

• Lead Game Master
2 hours ago, Zhym said:

Like that woman Madeleine.  How does she know the exact number of hours my character has been online?  Is she a stalker?  Is there some deep level of surveillance going on in Paragon City, and Madeleine is our only tiny window into this hidden world?  It doesn't bear too much thinking about, really.

Nemesis Automation, perhaps? o_o

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

I'm like Lumi. I tend to go off in the less trodden path of "weak" power pairings, and even sometimes gimping the already weak ones. the current one I'm enjoying is Psi/Bio... but I only took the 3 psi blade powers from the primary (because reasons and RP). It feels like playing a petless MM. I've also been known to skip Freezing Rain in Storm and a lot of nukes and aoe's on my blasters. I rarely go for the soft cap, nor do I min max.

If this type of thing is looked down upon, I wouldn't know nor do I care as I'm in my own little world where I'm not THE bad guy, but just a lackey trying to get by with all these heroes and supervillains trying to one up each other... come to think of it, playing purely Redside is, from what I gather, already unpopular.

Incidentally, I dread respecs because they take a huge toll on my thinking power. And not having MIDs doesn't help. So I try to keep a fairly good idea on what build I want to accomplish while I'm leveling up, when I need which powers and which slots (this is taking Pillar missions into consideration). But like you, sometimes my toons go through a revision of concept, so I must go through with it. I will say that respecs are very cathartic when I manage to complete one.

And I'd like to add that I turn every mission into a kill all, exploring the entire map (sans Reveal), just to make sure there are no witnesses.

Edited by Six-Six
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ive been playing a lot of Dev Choice arcs lately. They take some time, so might not get one done in one play session, which is why I think they're not more popular. The writing is excellent and so much better that the early stuff.

I also, do not use MIDs, so my respecs are an investment in concentration. I use my tablet, to take pictures of my screen so I can remember how I laid out my power trays, and how my slotting was.

I also use Ouro to exemp down so I can street sweep zones at the correct level. Echo:DA is a great area to street sweep as a lvl 29 exempted down Fire tank.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Blue cave maps, Oranbega maps, and to a lesser extent, Council base maps. I love the atmosphere in the blue cave and Oranbega maps in particular.

It was alluded to earlier in the thread, but I love using travel powers and the tram to travel between missions. Although, the character I am playing now is my first super-speedster and it is clear to me now that I was right to have previously avoided taking super speed as a travel power.

I like clearing the fog of war the old-fashioned way.

If there is a defeat badge that I want, I like fighting at even level (as opposed to fighting grey cons). I've put a lot of work into finding ideal contact/Ouro missions that let me do that, at least for the defeat badges that are required for the major accolade badges.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
wording
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, KC4800 said:

Ive been playing a lot of Dev Choice arcs lately. They take some time, so might not get one done in one play session, which is why I think they're not more popular. The writing is excellent and so much better that the early stuff.

I also, do not use MIDs, so my respecs are an investment in concentration. I use my tablet, to take pictures of my screen so I can remember how I laid out my power trays, and how my slotting was.

I also use Ouro to exemp down so I can street sweep zones at the correct level. Echo:DA is a great area to street sweep as a lvl 29 exempted down Fire tank.

I use the “taking pictures” a lot on respecs and when building a new toon so certain powers occupy the same button.  Muscle memory is real.  

How (why?) you get by without MiDs baffles and disturbs me.  Carry on and enjoy

• Thumbs Up 3

I like a team that occasionally stops mid-mission to just make goofy remarks.  Obviously in larger doses it can get annoying and when its one something that clearly says "speed whatever" then that is not cool, but a team that isn't freaking rushing and all stops to find humor in something in a mission is great.  OMG look at those two guys stuck to the war wall!  Their positioning is so WRONG!  Part of what makes this game great (at least to me) is the semi-casual nature of just about everything you can do in the game so the absence of stopping to laugh at things seems alien to me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I like teams that aren't filled.  Team size of 3-4 is ideal.

Similar to the OP, I don't mind the respec process... furthermore I respec a lot... like every few levels.  The moment I can see that a respec will make me better, I do it.  I don't wait to gain a few levels.  I usually have a build plan around level 11-12 that I aim for from the bigging.. then another one around level 20-22... then again after I get the level 26 power... and 32 power... and it just keeps going.   It's also not odd for me to respec to test something while in my 20s and respec back if I don't like it.

I like street sweeping solo.

I like using infiltration as my only travel power (previously used ninja run on everything before alternate options came along).  I also like using the train and zone connections.

I never play with sound.  This is true for me for all gaming, not just CoX.  I usually listen to music or an audio book while gaming. 

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

2 hours ago, KC4800 said:

I use my tablet, to take pictures of my screen so I can remember how I laid out my power trays, and how my slotting was.

/screenshotui 1

PrtScrn

Alt+Tab to an open file explorer window.

Navigate to the game directory, Homecoming/Screenshots.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I like running all the side mishes in every safeguard/mayhem. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

2 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

I like using infiltration as my only travel power (previously used ninja run on everything before alternate options came along).  I also like using the train and zone connections.

Ditto.:-)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I like the Cake Room. Actually, I've always liked the Cake Room. I get why others don't, I just don't mind it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.