What are players thoughts on Seismic blast?

KaizenSoze

I have tried it on blasters, sentinels, and defenders. Not feeling that it's a top tier set.

• Several powers won't work if you're not on the ground
  • Damage seems ok, but not great. Unless  you focus on the combo system, then it's kinda good?
  • Combo system isn't bad, but it requires a lot of attention. This makes it hard to work with busy primaries or secondaries

What are your thoughts? What combos have you found that work for you?

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

I LOVE Meteor and Seismic Blast is easily my favorite new powerset. The set itself has great damage output and interesting status effects. I am not as passionate about its secondary powerset, however. 

What combos have you played?

Personally I wish no power in the game would require you to be on the ground to use.

That said seismic blast is pretty good, using targeting binds can spawn meteor around corners and such. With the the time delay you can usually get a couple attacks off during that window, which is great for tossing something with a -res debuff.

Combinations I've used include:

• Seismic/Atomic blaster  (Level 6)
  • Seismic/Earth blaster  (Level 36)
  • Seismic/Electric blaster  (Level 50)
  • Seismic/Fire blaster  (Level 9)
  • Seismic/Plant blaster  (Level 8.)
  • Seismic/Storm corruptor  (Level 22)
  • Time/Seismic Defender  (Level 27)

I have concluded that Seismic Blast is fun.  However, I was initially disappointed that Hurl Boulder did not make it into the powerset and --as much fun as it is-- that disappointment persists.

• Thumbs Up 2

Love it. My seismic/earth blaster was a riot getting to 50, and routinely seems to ask "Spawn? What spawn?" as bodies fly...

And generally, I treat the combos like I do on dual blades. I don't even pay attention to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

59 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Love it. My seismic/earth blaster was a riot getting to 50, and routinely seems to ask "Spawn? What spawn?" as bodies fly...

And generally, I treat the combos like I do on dual blades. I don't even pay attention to it.

You know what - I felt the EXACT same way when I was playing Psionic Melee for Scrappers. Eventually I had some time to fiddle around with the Insight mechanics of the set and it became second nature to me to use it to my advantage. So, not the same type of combo mechanic persay, but it added a tertiary effect to the set to make it stand out in fights. I enjoyed the relative effort I put in to learning about it then paying off by having a higher probability to inflict more damage on the most damaging attacks when I play the set. 

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Very good set. Meteor is awesome! Love the sound effects and the huge explosion! Brace yourself… Here it comes!!! Incoming!!! Lol

It’s a bummer that stalagmite , a tier 8 power performs like a tier 2 power if you’re not on the ground or have built up enough combos. There are many times when neither of those circumstances are possible and it ends up being useless. Would be nice if its base damage was built up a bit and let the combo be extra but not necessary for the power to be useful as a damage power. 

I took Martial Combat as my secondary and the power  Reaction Time when 3 slotted makes any endurance problems a thing of the past! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

There are combos??

I think Seismic gets its mileage when ignoring the built mechanics and just maximizing proc opportunities.

Procportunties?

Upthrust in particular has a deceptively high proc rate. I don't think mids accurately reports it, maybe because of the slow 'projectile?' It's the star of the set for me. After Meteor that is.

I've only played it on an Seismic/Earth blaster but I messed around with it a lot in beta and took it from 20ish to 50 on live. It won't win awards for outright damage but certainly keeps pace while offering some of the best secondary effects possible. 

The rocks fall from the sky or just appear on the target,  why would you or the enemy need to be on the ground?  Even when it does come out of the ground,  its a ranged set.  I can make rocks erupt from 80 feet away but only if im touching the ground....nope,  its not the set for me.  I try to avoid must be on the ground sets when they dont make sense.  I can understand target needs to be on the ground and most of the time they are but player needs to be on the ground is dumb.  Fly is my movement of choice and i cant have my powers not work.  Sucks i had to abandon titan weapons because of it.  At least foot stomp works if im flying near the ground or id have to quit super strength too.

There are only a few mechanics in the set that require being grounded for them to go off, one attack and its Seismic effect which make it playable under technicality for those that want to fly. I run a Seismic/Earth Blaster that bounces back and forth between "Aim" and Build Up and dishes out a ton of AoE damage while also having several incredibly hard hitting ST attacks. This character is the only one I've managed to lead teams into Tinpex beside my Rad/SS Tanker to pull off sub 20 minute runs relying on my own performance output.

Anyone claiming Seismic is mediocre probably isn't playing it right, and that's about all I can say towards it.

• Like 1

I love it and I like the fact that several powers require you to be on the ground.  Sometimes thematics matter and being close to the earth makes complete sense.  I ran my Rock Blaster Krystala up to 50 extremely fast and had a ton of fun doing it.  The animations and the effects are fun and yes, the combos (building up enough seismic to get orange rings) to strengthen other effects actually flow well for me unlike by DB sword swinger and pre-recent issue Beam Sentinel.  I have never suffered an inability to mow through enemies at and was the first Blaster I actually upped the difficulty on while leveling because of the survivability (No Set IOs either, not until 50).  Love.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I've done a Nature/Seismic defender and am quite happy with it. I like the Seismic Pressure and Seismic Shockwave mechanics, but agree that Stalagmite is a bit wonky. Almost everything in the set procs well.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Loads of fun. Easy to level and Meteor is THE FUNNEST of the ults to use, jusr so satisfying to drop a massive space rock on the badguys.

Its so much Fun i cant help but say Boom just before it hits

See the source image

• Thumbs Up 1

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

I just wish they would change 'must be on the ground' to 'must be near the ground'.  Obviously i cant foot stomp if there is no ground but i can fly near the ground and foot stomp works.  Titan weapons arc of destruction smashes the weapon into the ground but does not work if you are flying near the ground.  You have to turn off fly and actually plant your feet on the ground to use the ability.  Seismic suffers (for me) because of the same reasons.

Not a fan of the "entire screen-filling" sfx.

But I forgave the set all sins the first time I used Meteor outdoors.

(My friends in voice chat know a "special delivery" is on its way when I start giggling...)

I don't mind needing to be on the ground. It's where they keep the Earth, after all!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Have played only a little bit, but I like it so far. I could be wrong, but I think the ST damage is actually pretty high, higher than most other blast powersets? That stun power turns into extreme damage when you've got the seismic quakes going, and this will happen reliably one time out of two if you chain the other two big attacks with it (and if you cycle AOEs in between, then you can "guarantee" yourself the extreme damage stun).

It can feel less impressive than it should at times because most blast powersets use exotic damage as primary, whereas smashing is often resisted by enemies. But against enemies with no resistance, man, it packs a punch.