Dedicated Sitters

Diantane

Sometimes a new player wants to skip the newbie levels and a higher level can get them to 15 or 20 fast.

I'd be willing to help out with that if I can.

But you ever see players in LFG looking for an AE farm wanting to be a sitter? I interviewed a few of them. That's how they level their characters. They never actually play them. They just make a new character and have a 50 farmer level them to 50. Then they start over and see how many 50's they can make. By leveling them, there is no gratification. Its just a waste of your time.

I wouldn't want to help out a player like this.

• Thumbs Down 2

26 minutes ago, Diantane said:

Then don't.  What they do doesn't affect you, and what you do, or don't do, doesn't affect them.

But as always, your hyper- and hypocritical assessment of others is entertaining.  Please, do continue.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Thumbs Down 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Diantane said:

Sometimes a new player wants to skip the newbie levels and a higher level can get them to 15 or 20 fast.

But you ever see players in LFG looking for an AE farm wanting to be a sitter? I interviewed a few of them. That's how they level their characters. They never actually play them. They just make a new character and have a 50 farmer level them to 50. Then they start over and see how many 50's they can make. By leveling them, there is no gratification. Its just a waste of your time.

This you...?

• Haha 8

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

1 hour ago, Diantane said:

I recognize that you have disdain and gatekeeping for how others enjoy playing city of heroes when it doesn't match you.  Would you be willing to characterize then that your "Help", when made so conditionally as you put it, really isn't help but instead its just an agenda laden ego-flex?

It really does seem rather silly to doorsit your way to 50 multiple times, just to stash the character away, but, as it has zero effect on what I do, I couldn’t care less. Of course, if you want to avoid sitters don’t take them on, or stop farming.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Fully agree with cranebump.  THis is one of those "you folks do whatever you want to in that room.  does not concern me in the slightest."

I do point out once or twice a day in LFG that you can make an alt account and PL yourself, and AFK farm if that is your thing, way faster than being one of 7 doorsitters on in a farm.  I have no idea if that helps anyone but I try to be polite and mention it.  

But if people want to doorsit.  Okay.  they do not want to play.  okay.  Somebody is willing to farm them.  okay.  None of these things affect me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Snarky said:

None of these things affect me.

If only more people realized the multitude of things that don't affect them in the slightest and are thus a simple waste of caloric energy to think about, much less get all upset over ...

... if ...

... only ...

... I mean, I remind myself of this truth every day and still fail to live up to it regularly ...

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Like 2

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Shrugs.

Given the fact how easy it is to get to 50 (PL, team up, play certain AT combinations, etc.), there's not much prestige in having a character at max security level. Has zero effect on me on, and if that makes them happy, well okay, cool.

With that said, I derive enjoyment on trying out different power combinations (it's been years since I played actively and a lot of the sets were introduced after I left) and seeing a character grow. That's just me. If you derive enjoyment by just watching a character sit at the entrance of a mission as you ding levels every few minutes or so...okay. I'd find that as enjoyable as watching paint dry, but I've discovered there are some people who actually enjoy that kind of activity.

Edited by FFFF
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

But Crumpet, if I can't attack people for being different, what CAN I attack them for.  I thought different was the default.

Attack them for being identical to you! Dear lord, who is that in the mirror?! GET THEM!

• Haha 5

40 minutes ago, GM Crumpet said:

This is a hot topic with some strong opinions, which is fine. Please remember to keep it polite and not attack someone for having a different opinion to yourself.

Sure, sure, of course, but can I still attack someone for having the same opinion that I do?  

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

6 hours ago, Diantane said:

You do you girl!

Everyone else is doing themselves too

22 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

But Crumpet, if I can't attack people for being different, what CAN I attack them for.  I thought different was the default.

/me points and laughs at flea for being... different

• Haha 1

A friend asked me if I knew any Motown puns. I told him I know two or three, maybe four, tops!

17 hours ago, battlewraith said:

The vast majority of people playing this game are dedicated to sitting. Many of them have invested in comfy chairs. 

spacer.png 

• Haha 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

On 5/13/2023 at 1:36 PM, cranebump said:

It really does seem rather silly to doorsit your way to 50 multiple times, just to stash the character away...

DOES anyone actually do this though?  I'd love to hear from someone (who isn't Diantane) who actually does this.  About the only conceivable reason I can come up with for doing it is that it's, I guess, kind of like a little chat room.  Maybe people join these things just to chat?  I don't know.  I've never joined a farm.  But I occasionally see people advertising their chattiness as a sitter's virtue in LFG.

Otherwise, I just figure it's people making new builds for endgame stuffs and challenges or just to run around at 50 doing radios or TFs. i.e. that they do farm to 50 but then they play that 50 at least some of the time.

12 minutes ago, ZemX said:

DOES anyone actually do this though?  I'd love to hear from someone (who isn't Diantane) who actually does this.  About the only conceivable reason I can come up with for doing it is that it's, I guess, kind of like a little chat room.  Maybe people join these things just to chat?  I don't know.  I've never joined a farm.  But I occasionally see people advertising their chattiness as a sitter's virtue in LFG.

Otherwise, I just figure it's people making new builds for endgame stuffs and challenges or just to run around at 50 doing radios or TFs. i.e. that they do farm to 50 but then they play that 50 at least some of the time.

I play my alts, but I have found sitting (or hitting) in an AE farm has resulted in some good /global friends. Depends on the mood of the group, but it can be relaxing and social, trading jokes, talking about life, or updates on HC.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

32 minutes ago, ZemX said:

...I just figure it's people making new builds for endgame stuffs and challenges or just to run around at 50 doing radios or TFs. i.e. that they do farm to 50 but then they play that 50 at least some of the time.

That was my assumption, as well. Because what the OP describes really is just...I dunno, pointless? Unless after, having ran everything to death, you're developing a stable of characters to hop on any TF or Mish at a moment's notice. I wouldn't know. I get them to 50, and most of them tend to sit there after that. Though I did pull a tank off the shelf the other day to run through some AE content that I assumed would be a challenge, and I just didn't want to multiple faceplant. (turned out to be correct on the challenge, so it was good to have the character there).

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

To each their own. People can door sit all they want, and farmers can decline such people all they want.

I normally level through storylines, sometimes DFB then storylines and find it relatively fast enough.

Sometimes I get a character to 50 and am like "Oh wow, I do not like this secondary power" and have to start all over. When its a combo of powers I have done both of before, I don't mind fast tracking a character by joining a farm or what not.

In the end, that's me and everyone can play how they choose. Some enjoy the leveling journey, others do not.

• Like 1

Everlasting
Light Star character series
Twink character series

On 5/13/2023 at 5:35 PM, Force Redux said:

I dunno... Often when I'm sitting in a farm with an alt a lot of us just chat and joke... It's social time

Some of the most enjoyable exchanges have been had in an AE farm. Bonus points for making the farmer lose their rhythm from laughter. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.