Does the drama ever make you want to take a break?

MHertz

Sometimes other people just suck, and it makes me want to see fewer of them. Sometimes this happens in the game. Unlike real life, there is a solution for in-game drama: the ignore feature, and remembering that participating in the game is voluntary.

Have you ever had one of those moments where you say, "No amount of entertainment is worth the human drama going on here" and want to take a healthy break?

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

1 minute ago, MHertz said:

Sometimes other people just suck, and it makes me want to see fewer of them. Sometimes this happens in the game. Unlike real life, there is a solution for in-game drama: the ignore feature, and remembering that participating in the game is voluntary.

Have you ever had one of those moments where you say, "No amount of entertainment is worth the human drama going on here" and want to take a healthy break?

Only when I have to deal with other people.

• Thumbs Up 3

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

I'm not involved enough with people online to have drama anymore. I kind of miss it, to be honest. If anyone wants to start a beef with me, feel free to call me names or even react with the dreaded Bulgaria emoticon.

42 minutes ago, nihilii said:

I'm not involved enough with people online to have drama anymore. I kind of miss it, to be honest. If anyone wants to start a beef with me, feel free to call me names or even react with the dreaded Bulgaria emoticon.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

1 hour ago, MHertz said:

Just get used to it, there are mean people everywhere.

Since CoX is all but immune to griefing and ganking, and you can turn off the General chat, and drop out of any team with drama queens etc. — not really a problem.

I do miss the era of decent PUGs where five or six strangers spent as much time yacking, BSing and mildly hassling each other while (gasp!) actually playing for fun, and broke up for the night with a bit of shared regret. I think I've had that experience once on HC. Hey, none of you are real, but some of you are fun to share a barstool with.

Screw the complainers.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Most people are decent, most of the time. Even gamers.:-)

In those very rare instances where people do things I just can't understand, I kindly remove myself from the area.

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

3 hours ago, MHertz said:

Between /ignore and generally being able to remove myself from the in-game drama, the only times I really felt like taking a break was when I was in a taskforce or trial, where removing myself would cost me a good amount of time invested, potential awards, and/or leave other members of the group in a weaker state...

• Like 1

Does the drama ever make you want to take a break?

Wait . . . there was drama and nobody thought to invite me?  Unacceptable!

But seriously, if you are feeling burnt out for any reason, then taking a break is a wise and healthy thing to do.

We'll take care of the City while you take a break.  Do you need anyone to house-sit your SG base?  Water the plants, walk the dog, that sort of stuff.

Edited by Bionic_Flea
  • Haha 1

I just started an epic solo project. I will team here and there for a badge.  But for the foreseeable future 90% of my in game time is solo

But, when you think about it, we are all solo. Some try to make connections.  Some attempt to be social.  But in the end we are alone.  And it is alone that we shall go into the great mystery of death.  

The teaming dynamic in City of Heroes is still among the best out there. I remember starting WOW (in its very early days) and not seeing as robust of a LFG system. Sidekicking, 8-person teams (which was large for its time) and exemplar/flashback were all so revolutionary. My absolute fondest memories were joining some random mismash of ATs and levels just having everything work out. It's so fun, and I've met some great people through that. It is addictive.

I say that knowing the same source of the game's strength is also its greatest weakness. You just need to run into one bad egg to ruin it other people. The AFKer, the guy who will just solo off on their own, and simply the unpleasant. I think all of us have enough of these stories to fill a small tome.

I still enjoy the game. I'm pleased to donate to this effort (and other COH efforts), but I've become just a bit more thin skinned than in the past. I stay solo unless it's to help out someone for a few minutes. I find that better.

• Retired Developer
1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

We'll take care of the City while you take a break.  Do you need anyone to house-sit your SG base?  Water the plants, walk the dog, that sort of stuff.

Don't trust Flea to walk your dog(s). For obvious reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pretty much the main reason one of the first things I do an any new character is to kill General chat.

I'd rather not rely on /ignore because then I'll miss potential teaming opportunities later; just because someone is having a political discussion or is really upset about something silly and meaningless (see: puking guy thread) today doesn't mean I won't want to beat up bad guys with them two weeks from now. I save /ignore for the truly deserving, the people I'm certain I'll never want any association with whatsoever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

2 minutes ago, Mjolnerd said:

Pretty much the main reason one of the first things I do an any new character is to kill General chat.

I'd rather not rely on /ignore because then I'll miss potential teaming opportunities later; just because someone is having a political discussion or is really upset about something silly and meaningless (see: puking guy thread) today doesn't mean I won't want to beat up bad guys with them two weeks from now. I save /ignore for the truly deserving, the people I'm certain I'll never want any association with whatsoever.

Now I want a toon named General Chat

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

I do miss the era of decent PUGs where five or six strangers spent as much time yacking, BSing and mildly hassling each other while (gasp!) actually playing for fun, and broke up for the night with a bit of shared regret. I think I've had that experience once on HC. Hey, none of you are real, but some of you are fun to share a barstool with.

Screw the complainers.

Man, that's sad to hear, I've had a number of such experiences since HC started up.  Must be a matter of luck, keep trying, we are out there!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

36 minutes ago, TheZag said:

People on Torchbearer are too busy having fun playing city of heroes to have drama.

This is clearly bait meant to start "my server is better than your server" drama.

Besides, everybody knows Excelsior is the best server, because I play on it.

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)