What AT/powerset keeps you playing?

alphamax

Mentioned aspects of this in a different post... been with HC since 2021 and I'm running out of steam.

I have lots of maxed out characters, but really all I play are:

• Damage: Fire/EM blaster - haven't found anything that outdamages/dps this blapper
  • Control: Grav/Psi dominator - haven't found anything that outcontrols him
  • Unkillable: Stone/Rad tanker - haven't found anything that outsurvives him

Every other ATs I've rolled (20+) are just a hybrid of these that just get overall outperformed by those 3, so feel lesser than.

At this point, there's not much more to do in the game (I'm not going for badges/vet levels).

Any AT/powersets I'm missing?? Which ones keep you all excited/playing, without feeling that it's just a lesser version of another one of your characters?

Thanks!

Things I've taken to 50 more than once here or will shortly.

Claws/ea Scrapper/Brute. Stalker Claws is an insult. Tanks don't have EA, yet. Claws is so smooth and EA just works really well. I feel like I can hop on the builds and just kind of zone out while being a murder machine. I also technically have a level 50 Fort(Claws) who is a Swiss Army knife of awesome and a level 50 Fire/ea Sent.

Dark/dark Controller/Defender. I need the Defender to hit 50, but I might like it better for steamrolling teams since controls can feel lesser in that situation.

Ice/stone Stalker/Brute. Stone is so ridiculously S tier and Ice Patch feels like cheating. Stalker Ice is the best overall Stalker set.

Water/temp Blaster and Cold/water Defender. Water is just a really solid overall set with AoEs and mitigation. Adding a heal for a Blaster or a Cold Defender is just further icing on the cake.

I'm close at getting a Fire/time controller to 50. I have some Time Defenders waiting in the wings so I know I want to see what Time is like on a Defender fully built. I feel like Time might fire some other sets for me. 

I have a TA Defender and Controller. I'm mostly waiting to finalize the builds as I find TA to be so different in how it plays and a nice break from everything else. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

1 hour ago, alphamax said:

Which ones keep you all excited/playing, without feeling that it's just a lesser version of another one of your characters?

For me, it's scrappers for exactly the opposite reason of OP.  I like melee, but brutes (kinda) and tankers are too overpowered for my tastes.  For some reason I have 72 scrappers at this point (22 at 50) and I'd be hard pressed to find enough time in the rest of my tenure here to play them all!

Who run Bartertown?

1 hour ago, alphamax said:

Mentioned aspects of this in a different post... been with HC since 2021 and I'm running out of steam.

I have lots of maxed out characters, but really all I play are:

• Damage: Fire/EM blaster - haven't found anything that outdamages/dps this blapper
  • Control: Grav/Psi dominator - haven't found anything that outcontrols him
  • Unkillable: Stone/Rad tanker - haven't found anything that outsurvives him

Every other ATs I've rolled (20+) are just a hybrid of these that just get overall outperformed by those 3, so feel lesser than.

At this point, there's not much more to do in the game (I'm not going for badges/vet levels).

Any AT/powersets I'm missing?? Which ones keep you all excited/playing, without feeling that it's just a lesser version of another one of your characters?

Thanks!

What is /Psi supposed to be for controllers? Or did you mean dominator?

I just come up with a neat costume/character concept and pick whatever power combo/AT that fits.

Basically, it's not a single powerset that keeps me playing.  It's the fact that there are combinations I haven't tried yet. But then I really don't care about optimization.

• Like 1

Kind of in the same spot, a bit burned out, so I';m concentrating on writing AE missions (well, OK, on one that just won't ever finish).  But before that, it was anything with Savage Melee, that's just loads of fun if you take at least one more "combat TP" power like Shield Charge or Spring Jump or whatever it's called. 

I'm finding that leveling a new character just doesn't have the same zing, and for various reasons, going back to my old 50s also is missing it.  Still, I can log into any of them and have a good time for like an hour or two, so there's still that.  Just nothing feels necessary right now.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

9 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

loads of fun if you take at least one more "combat TP" power like Shield Charge or Spring Jump or whatever it's called. 

Wormhole on my grav/psi is sooooo fun.

Wormhole (group foe TP) teleports and stuns, then Crushing Field to immob, then Drain Psyche + Psychic Shockwave.

That's the thing, some powerset synergies are incredibly effective, and once you find them, every other un-optimized powersets just feel like letdowns.

I'm looking for that next powerset combination I haven't found yet.

It's not AT/Powerset. It's RP.  I'm less interested in "YetAnotherUberPerson did 908023894723E^098723 damage to badguy!" and more interested in playing stories out with people.

Long as the sets match (or close enough) the character I have in mind, I'm good.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I actually have a couple of characters with Wormhole and somehow just could never get a feel for it.  I much prefer jumping into someone's face than making them jump into mine.  Just a matter of personal taste I guess.  😃

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

My faves are:

Shield/Electric Tank - because tele-fragging every group never gets old.  (Seriously, alternate between Lightning Rod & Shield Charge to initiate each group. Every other tank feels so... pedestrian afterwards)

Sword/Shield Scrapper (in full plate) - for when it's time to get medieval. (Kinda wish we had lances & tabards for him though...)

And of course, my main - Archery/Ice/Fire Blaster (who's never gotten old - RP + Badging + just playing/chatting with friends adds so much longevity!)

Team utility beyond just damage. I end up noping out of blasters, sentinels, scrappers, and stalkers every time I’ve rolled one. Brutes & tanks with taunt just barely clear the bar. Anything with a buff/debuff as a primary or secondary rocks. Except maybe controllers. They seem better suited for a game that COH isn’t anymore. 

Beyond AT choices, I’m here for chatty PUG teams. Sometimes I want to solo, sometimes I want to team, but I never want to solo in a team.

Also, love for leveling PUG teams running higher difficulty levels. Doesn’t seem like anyone wants to run purple Posi’s anymore. It’s just DXP and locked in at +1 in a mad rush to 50 and then endless +4 ITFs. Yes, I’m old. 

• Like 1

If you think this game is too easy, run AE 801.* missions!

For me, its building characters. Getting a concept or idea for a character, tinkering in MIDS to fine tune it, leveling it up and seeing how it plays. I tend to enjoy MMs, Tankers, and Crabbers most. I have experimented with widows, brutes, and scrappers as well but not as much. I recently started a Corruptor whom is my current project.

As far as what I enjoy playing the most? I enjoy 3 boxing MMs the most. For Tanker, its Bio Armor/Rad melee.

• Like 1

Pretty much Blaster anything, they are the dominant AT in my collection for a reason, but if not Blaster then ranged.  I don't have as many alts as others, but I have ten Blasters, seven of which are 50's.  This is followed by Controllers then Sentinels then Corruptors, all ranges and blasty.  I have others, have a few melee (tank/Brute mostly) but I have singles of outliers that never caught with me (1 Stalker, 1 Scrapper, 1 Dom, a widow and an arachnos Soldier).  But yeah love me some blasty blast blast.

Hmmm.  I need to roll another Blaster.  Rad something . . . Or maybe a fourth DP blaster.

The colors kids, the colors!

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

17 hours ago, alphamax said:

Any AT/powersets I'm missing?

Well you are completely missing anything that is focused on buffing or debuffing.

I would suggest rolling a:

• Plant/Trick Arrow controller
  • Ice/Dark corruptor
  • Poison/Elec defender
  • Fire/Kin corruptor
  • Energy/Energy stalker
  • Thugs/Time mastermind
  • Warshade

They each have their own feel to the game and can all do impressive things when built out. As others have said though it's all about finding a concept and running with it with friends. CoH has never really been an MMO that is all about just playing one character like some other MMOs it's embraces the notion that variety is the spice of life.

We all get burnout from time to time so vary up what you are playing as chances are you have a couple hundred or so games in your Steam library otherwise you can get the weekly freebies from Epic. You can come back when you want or have an idea for a concept for a new toon.

Any AT/powersets I'm missing??

You don't give a complete list, but, from that list, I have to say most of them.

Which ones keep you all excited/playing, without feeling that it's just a lesser version of another one of your characters?

I have over a hundred characters. 

I enjoy playing all of them. It really depends on what I'm in the mood for playing or what kind of teams are running (or I'm thinking of recruiting for) at the time.

Sometimes I'll dig one out that I haven't played for a long time.

On the other side, the most grueling to play at this point are the ones that I play for ::

Because I don't want to outlevel the contacts, I run solo almost all the time on those characters. I feel like I need to make progress on them, but a lot of the hunts on the Origin Arcs are really difficult to solo. And, honestly, I'm more of a team player.

Which ones keep you all excited/playing

I'm a character conception player.

So what makes them exciting to play for me is that they aren't  ....

just a lesser version of another one of your characters

Sure. I have some of the same characters on different servers, but most of my 100+ characters are one-offs. 

They each have their own origin story, reason for fighting crime (or being criminals, yeah, I have some villains), type of crime that they are more likely to fight, fighting tactics, etc.

If you make individual characters their own individual and you take time crafting that ... well, that adds more of a connection to the character and increase the enjoyment for me at least. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Storm summoning powerset kept me coming back for more.  I have a variety of storm masterminds, defenders, corruptors, and controllers... then storm blast was added and I created more of those plus more blasters and sentinels.  Waiting on the day when we get Storm Assault for dominators... and Storm Melee/Storm Armor for the rest of the ATs.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I actually have a couple of characters with Wormhole and somehow just could never get a feel for it.  I much prefer jumping into someone's face than making them jump into mine.  Just a matter of personal taste I guess.  😃

Having people jump into your face is call for a new character named Social Media Junkie.

I find myself on hiatus currently but I always revert to controllers. I love the AT in all its forms but I suspect one reason is that it's so unique amongst games. I tend to game quite defensively so the idea of locking down and tickling to death while remaining relatively safe appeals a lot to me.

If you want a devastating controller have you tried Dark/Poison?

• Like 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I'll usually roll a new character or change up the build on an existing one if I find out about an interesting power combination - my Energy/Fire Stalker is a result of that. Unfortunately, it just so happens that a lot of what I consider interesting ends up as the target of a bugfix or nerf...

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube