The Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #64: How have increased server population affected you for good or bad?

I play the game to team, so I play on Excelsior.  So having more people to team with is just great.

The only drawback has been the less than 5 times that I've had to queue to get in - and only for a couple of minutes.

And it can be really hard to find Miss Liberty amidst the 30+ characters gathered around her.

So what server are you on?  How has the increased server population affected you?

• Like 3

I love to to see all the returning/new players. I have not experienced a queue yet, even when in the red.

It changes my current project from working on ALL my alts to developing a presence on all the shards. 🙂

It means more base building ... YES!!

The downside has been that more people are using the Ouro portal and hanging out there, and the same is true for the SG portals. Especially MM pets.

This has been discussed in other threads before, so I am not sure if there is a solution.

/e poofgone

For teaming, it's a mixed bag for me. Definitely more people to team with, but that also means more people that ignore "Please don't go to the door yet" and hilarity ensues. More chances to help teach folks the tricks of the trade, but also more chances for a "Don't tell me how to play" that results in teamwipe after teamwipe. Again, a mixed bag. Still enjoyable, overall though.

Aesthetically, it's wild to see so many people everywhere. I saw another person waaaaaaay out in Nerva (you know where). That NEVER happens! Atlas and Mercy (haven't done another Gold run yet) are constantly abuzz and seeing random people flying, jumping or teleporting by me is really nice to see.

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

I moved off of Excelsior over a year back because of a couple new players that wanted to play on Everlasting, though I started a couple characters on the others as well.

The influx has been nice elsewhere and I do seem to spend more time in help lately.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing but good.  I only had to queue once and I don't care about it one jot.  I'm a PUGer by nature so this is nothing but good news for me.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

21 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

The downside has been that more people are using the Ouro portal and hanging out there, and the same is true for the SG portals. Especially MM pets.

This has been discussed in other threads before, so I am not sure if there is a solution.

I've always found this deeply weird.  Why do people hug the portals?  The first thing I do after zoning in at a portal is MOVE AWAY.    It feels like standing in a doorway to just stand there on top of the portal.  Why do people do this?  There's this whole area to spread out in!

This even happens in Pocket D on Everlasting.  All these purple-named roleplayers are practically kissing the SG portal instead of moving out into the club, across the dance floor, etc.  Whyyyyy!

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, ZemX said:

I've always found this deeply weird.  Why do people hug the portals?  The first thing I do after zoning in at a portal is MOVE AWAY.    It feels like standing in a doorway to just stand there on top of the portal.  Why do people do this?  There's this whole area to spread out in!

This even happens in Pocket D on Everlasting.  All these purple-named roleplayers are practically kissing the SG portal instead of moving out into the club, across the dance floor, etc.  Whyyyyy!

I am guilty of both at times because I have the wiki open on another screen, and I am checking mission objectives.

I do forget, but I usually zone and move to a spot.

• Like 1

/e poofgone

10 minutes ago, ZemX said:

I feel the same way when I walk into Costco.  There's always a bunch of people that stop right in the entrance checking their lists, etc...

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It has put life back into the game for me. I didn't play much as the content had become stale and the new material wasn't for me. I took a long break and checked in once in a while. Sometimes I'd team with friends on a Sat afternoon. When the population numbers jumped, I came back. I play in teams all the time so this was fun. Glad to see more people on!

Sometimes I just like to perch in AP or Mercy and see all the shiny, new heroes/villains and the stream of "OMG!! I just found about this, so great to be back!!1!1!eleventy-eleven!!1!!"

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Torchbearer native here. The only change for me has been about a 4000% increase in my time spent in the Help channel. It is good to see the city come to life again though.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Market's picking up, too, as all these new folks level up and buy! buy! BUY!

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.

4 hours ago, DougGraves said:

So what server are you on?

I have characters on all the servers, but the DEVs want us off Excelsior. I don't even think I have been on it to do marketing recently. I'll only go there on off hours - which is easy for me as I tend to play in off-prime hours.

I've been mainly teaming on Torchbearer and Reunion recently.

I have a group that I game with on Torchbearer, and we still team there.

I had been spending off-hours time on Everlasting, but the population has generally been good there - and the DEVs really want us to spread the love elsewhere.

I have been spending my non-Torchbearer time mainly on Reunion lately. The population has been high enough to get teams going there.

I haven't tried to play on Indomitable since the population change. Reunion usually has lower numbers, so I've been going there instead. (Only ever did get on one team on Indomitable in the past, so that might have something to do with it as well).

4 hours ago, DougGraves said:

How has the increased server population affected you?

I never have to wait to get into the game.

Teaming is rarely an issue even on Reunion.

When I'm playing on PuGs now, there is a lot more chaos.

I figure there are a lot of players that are paying attention to their own characters and powers because they aren't used to playing yet or simply used to playing one-player games.

A good number of players don't seem to be used to playing with/working with a team.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I've been overjoyed by the quantity and saddened by the quality.  Read into that whatever you like.

This too shall pass.

• Thanks 1

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.

My stronger toons are all in an Excelsior SG made up of my alts. As I've shifted more to soloing over the last year (and trying to catch story arc teams where I can), I've found myself on Torch a LOT more than Excel (to where I'd consider it my "home" shard now). With Excel often in the red, and me no longer in need of hurrying along as much (nor wanting to wait at all to enter the fray), I've been seriously thinking of moving my entire stable to Torch and living there more or less permanently (I'll always switch shards to help a buddy, though -- or a stranger).:-)

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I moved to Everlasting as soon as it went up due to its name being a reference to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and I was a big Roald Dahl fan growing up reading many of his books.

That was before any kind of server designation stuff. Realistically if I had joined once Everlasting and Indomitable had designations I probably would of made characters on Indomitable, but by that time I had maybe 15 or so lvl 50s on Everlasting.

I don't play that often having a 1 year old here, but I guess the few times I've logged on this week after putting my daughter to sleep I've noticed the Everlasting Hami raid fill quick.

But then again I've never really had much difficulty forming a TF, or trial there over the years.

It's awesome that Indomitable isn't a ghost town for the time being.  Seeing so many people in Mercy Island was a major breath of fresh air in the otherwise extreme dank of the Rogue Islands (not long ago I would often see maybe 15 villains max across the server during my usual play hours).  However outside of that it hasn't had much impact on me besides being more active in the Help and General tabs.  As a 90%-of-the-time solo player teaming isn't my thing most nights.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

It doesn't really directly affect me too much since I either solo or have my various dedicated groups to play with. It's great seeing the game alive though!

I took my core group on a goldside run on Indom, and it blew my mind seeing a bunch of randoms running around!

Edited by Spaghetti Betty

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

Aside from two mapsever issues and a queue wait once, no issue.  I still talk to the same people.  I noticed a lot on the new players seem to complain a lot.

Examples like

1. " I demand a hard mode!

2. I don't understand why they cant.......

3. I want more content! 

4.let's talk about the " holy trinity of gaming"

I have a few more but really (and I mean it) no real issue COH is the greatest game ever made IMO.

I hope the players who love Snorecraft, stay there .... forever and leave this game alone

in conclusion, I have noticed not "real issue" at all it's still the greatest game ever

• Thumbs Up 1