Your Signature Characters.

I have come to the conclusion that one of the reasons I have Altitist and pages of non 50s, is that I am trying to find my Signature Character for each AT.

I have my scrapper, defender and peace bringer, but for one reason or another don't have one for the other ATs.

One reason is that non of my super strength concepts are based on a rage monster who periodically becomes weak.

Does anyone else try for their Signature Character to the point you are creating characters over and over hoping to find that one for that AT?

• Thumbs Up 2

I've Sig chars in the form of 2 Controllers, 1 stalker, 2 Corruptors, 2 Defenders, 1 Warshade and 2 Tanks. Can't be choosing a favourite, they all do different things. 

I've a couple of Brutes, Blasters and a Scrapper but I don't consider them signature because I always choose one of the sig Tanks, Stalkers or Corruptors over the ones I have and which are 50. The Blasters aren't bad but I'm just like "I'd prefer to play one of the two Corruptors instead". Same for the Brutes & Scrappers, Tank or Stalker is more fun for me.

Can't gel with Dominators at all, nor Sentinels or VEATs (Fort came close but she needs solving cos her End is terrible)

Weirdly most of the characters in my actual signature are not Signature Characters (and the builds are out of date)

Edited by Carnifax

Nope.  I have a couple of stalkers I really like but they play very differently, and one's just as good as the other in their ways.  I like how Doms play a lot as of late so I'm doing those, and playing each one is like "playing blackjack vs. playing a piano" different, and they're all great too to me.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I generally have one for each AT, power is definitely a factor, but so is them sort of clicking with my style.

Blaster: Ar/ta

Defender: Poison/dp

Controller: Grav/storm

Sentinel(ew): Elec/rad

Scrapper: Axe/bio, claws/bio OR energy/rad

Tank: Rad/ss

Pb: Tri-form (human only is bad, stop it.)

Ws: Tri-form

Brute: Sav/Dark or Ss/regen. This was ice/fire by a landslide until hc stupidly nerfed burn.

Corruptor: Storm/storm or Psy/kin

Dominator: Plant/psi

Mastermind: Bots/traps

Stalker: Stj/energy or Stj/stone

Soldier: Leviathan crab

Widow: Melee fort hybrid

Yep, I do play all sort of alts/AT's, but end up having certain ones that just end up resonating either with playstyle or story that if I really want to play them, they're the one I think of. To the point that when I scroll to them and see the other AT alts, I'm like "Oh YOU! I remember you! I forgot you existed!"

In their defense, it's not their faults. They're all good rogues/vigilantes/villains/heroes. I'm just slowly losing my mind.

I played dominators from CoV release, and my first 50 was a dominator. (Yes, from back when they had half damage without domination.) With all the buffs and time, the mind/psi dom has become my 'main,' both of characters and dominators. I still love trying other ones, but they have to do something different, and I still go back to the main one. Mind/ is just so great on a dominator, to the point that I've never used it on a controller.

I had some even older characters, but none of them stuck the same as the one above, strangely until I made a bio/rad tank. They are often my go to 'alt' and my main tank by a long shot. I've used the same powers elsewhere on other AT's, but the tank's character made them stick.

I don't go out of my way to have a 'main' for every AT, but sometimes there's one that just 'clicks', to the point that others can't compete.

I wonder, as far as other folks go- is it concept or powers that make the 'main' characters stick?

For me, I realized it's mostly when I have a concept that I love, I end up spending way more time with them than any others.

I do have a signature character: a Dark Miasma / Ice Blast Defender that is a replica of the first CoH character I played way back in the original game. My primary alt is a Radiation Emission / Radiation Blast Defender that is a replica of my main alt from the original game. Both are optimized for group play and designed to turn large packs of enemies into sitting ducks, but the DM/IB Defender does a better job of it thanks to all the slowing effects from Ice Blast.

Still, they are two different themes: the DM/IB is a female Nephalim (half demon, half angel) with a magic origin, while the RE/RB is a male mecha with a science origin. Sometimes I'm in the mood to roleplay one or the other.

When the group just needs me to blow stuff up, I play my "GD Peacebringer", which is a build you can read about on the Kheldian board.

I have a few I suppose, but I do bounce around my various characters.

My main with the most vet levels is a Dual Wield/WP scrapper. Loosely based on a Champions character from the 80s.

I have some characters that I keep around, but don't play them much.   A mix of concepts I want to make work, some based off other Champions chars, some based off characters from live, so nostalgia or something to revisit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

Does anyone else try for their Signature Character to the point you are creating characters over and over hoping to find that one for that AT?

I'm not sure what you mean by signature character.

My namesake, Peregrine Falcon, has gone through several iterations. Currently he's a Fire/Energy Sentinel, a tech-suit, Iron Man type of vigilante. However, my main since 2007 is American Dream Girl, one of the Nuclear 90. She's always been an Invul/Em Tanker.

So I guess those are my two signature characters.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Bionic Flea was the first character I made on live and first again when I came to HC.  He's Invulnerable/Super Strength tank and has done everything in the game.  He is definitely my signature character.

Between HC and other servers I have about 160 level 50s.  They each had their time in the sun as I leveled them and they still get brought out periodically to fill a needed role on a team or just to play them for a bit. 

Looking at my list of characters, I seem to play support more than meatshield or DPS, so I have a lot of corrupters, defenders, and controllers.  But I have more than one of each AT and I think I have tried all the power sets out, other than Arsenal Assault, with a caveat.  If I played say dark blast on a corrupter, I consider that covers dark blast for defenders, blasters, and sentinels.  Same with armors and control sets.

I don't think of any of them the same way I think of Bionic.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I'm not sure what you mean by signature character.

My namesake, Peregrine Falcon, has gone through several iterations. Currently he's a Fire/Energy Sentinel, a tech-suit, Iron Man type of vigilante. However, my main since 2007 is American Dream Girl, one of the Nuclear 90. She's always been an Invul/Em Tanker.

So I guess those are my two signature characters.

To me a signature character is the one that comes to mind when you think of an AT.

For me, when I think of scrappers, it is Lady All-Star, my NRG/INV scrapper that I wanted during live but couldn't have.

My defender and only defender so far is Doctor Mechanus who used to be my robot MM during live. I can't seem to come up with another defender concept.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

Since 2004.

I only finally settled on a representation of the very first thing I tried to make in City of Heroes last month. That's been my all-consuming quest and until it was solved, I could not settle on any additional characters to play. (As of today, for the first time ever, I have two 50s that I am willing to play at the same time; I've had many 50s, but most were retired or deleted.)

Edited by Sunsette
  • Sad 1

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

At this point I don't think I have any signature heroes/villains. I have so many toons it's hard to keep up with them. I guess I would imagine each living their own lives going through their own character arcs, while I'm like an extra dimensional presence. Every so often I'll pop in, take the wheel, and steer.

I don't have a signature character, really.

I have *characters.* Not because I'm trying to find "that one," but because there are stories to create and tell and they need characters.

• Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I’d say the KR Devil. AR/TA blaster. Because I’m fond of the Row, and like “unpowered” chars (generally).

• Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I've got a lot of characters but hardly play favorites.  Only one of my characters has more than 20 vet levels so I suppose that's it and she's around VLv62 right now.  I have 29 characters at level 50 but I suppose if i'm playing favorites there's four I pick to get work done:

The aforementioned VLv62 Blaster, Weald Warden, who is Archery/Plant.  She also stands out with my highest badge count and a gold costume contest title.

After that, I have a Thermal/Ice Defender, a Poison/Pistols Defender, and a Spines/Ice Scrapper that see the most use out of my 50s.  If a team needs support, the Defenders are there for that while the Spines/Ice is one of my strongest solo choices and just a solid crowd demolitionist.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

/me checks name

that'll do

Actually I have a few "main" characters and so might be signature but Scarlet is always going to be the real one

• Like 2

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

11 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

I've tried recreating my namesake character as various ATs or variations on their original build, (a DM/Regen Scrapper), but just couldn't get into them the way I have wholly new characters I've created.  I also find the process of leveling up and developing the character to be a big draw for me, so once they hit 50 and unlock all the Incarnate stuff, get IO'd out, etc, they can start to feel stagnant, so I switch to the next alt...

Edited by biostem

I enjoy playing with the various power combos and just seeing how things work together....that said; I think rather than a signature character per se I lean more towards a signature character behavior.  Most of the toons I really really enjoy have decent defense with fairly fast attacks with decent damage in the Brute and Sentinel power sets with Blasters being a third preferred AT.  Toons that have really popped with me are my Fire/Rad Brute, Elec/Rad Sent, Staff/Refl Brute, Storm/Time Blas, Beam/Elec Sent, and Psi/Time Blas.  I'm finding an Ice/Fire Brute to be rather interesting as well.  Still no 50's yet since I rotate thru all 30+ toons while soloing. lol  Getting close though.

My signature characters are in my signature. I may have a third 50 in another month or two. Frostbiter is the only character I got to 50 on Live.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Storm/nin/cold blaster took my top spot since storm blast came out and only got better with age :) 

I look for a relaxing stride.  I find that Storm blaster so relaxing to play solo +4×8, but if asked this in the past, some other signature characters would have been my signature at the time:

Blaster: beam/en; arrow/fire

Scrapper: mace/dark

Stalker: staff/ice

Sentinel: electric ×3

Def: Water/ta; traps/en; storm/dark;

Mm: bots/ea

troller: ill/dark

Dom: fire×3

Many, many others... and even more from back during Live, but also many I should probably reclaim IOs from at this point. 

Edited by VashNKnives

Bazooka Tooth was my signature on Live. He's an AR/EM blaster. He's not fully kitted out yet as far as Incarnates, but he's done otherwise. 

My other signature character is Iron Bow, my badger, who is an Archery/Ninja/Ninja Sentinel with Natural origin and no real travel power. 

I am now working on two signature SGs  - one hero and one villain, with the original ATs the game had when CoH and CoV launched. The villain group is going to only do redside, and the Hero group will only do blueside, with the coolest bases I can muster for each. 

On 3/8/2024 at 7:53 AM, Marshal_General said:

I find that I have favorites, sometimes these shift over time... but there is a core group of favorites that are mostly recreations from the old Live servers... but there are a handful of new ones here and now that are original and I'm just as fond of.  If any were to be my signature characters, I'd say its the new ones I'm as fond of as my mainstay recreations.

• Big Girl - my Willpower/non-raging SS tanker... starts off tiny but grows as big as can be.
  • Melody Monsoon - Symphony/Storm controller... I made her a cousin of one of my old mains.
  • Disco Girl - a Kinetics/Fire defender... she's super groovy!
  • Flood - Water/BioArmor sentinel... water water everywhere.
  • Lucky Girl - Staff/SR scrapper... gifted with arts of this one.  😎
  • Finna McCool - Broadsword/Shield scrapper... an authentic-looking Irish super, not one draped head to toe in green.
  • Thunderblade - Electric/Ninja blaster... she's a storm ninja!
  • Beat - Symphony/Martial Assault dominator... she will beat you down while grooving to her beats.
  • Hex Factor - a Kinetic Melee/Energy Stalker... spellcaster themed melee fighter, kind of like a very short-ranged blaster.

Edited by Player2
added a short list

I guess my signature would be my titular toon, Spaghetti Betty! Also one of the only Scrappers I'll probably ever enjoy playing.

But if we're going a little deeper, I guess what would be signature for me is whatever Tanker I decide to log into that day. There's no real rhyme or reason. Maybe it depends on the moon phase. But you can always find me on a Tanker!

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!