The Family Bosses and their singularity

So, I was en route to getting High pain threshold on my new SS/Ice brute, so figured I'd try to do the family badge requirement organically, rather than hunt them down in Port Oakes. 

I felt like I had enough defense to survive, so I upped it to +1/8. (doing the story arc where you get to feed Lusca at the end if you choose)

So, I ran into some problems. Well, one problem, several times. 
Certain bosses would spawn a Singularity that would proceed to move me where ever it felt like - but primarily - off the ground. Hard to foot stomp when you're not on the ground. 

The first time, I just enjoyed the ride until I finally got down to the ground and made a bee-line for the Prima boss and started bouncing him around. But, just around the corner, another two bosses and I felt like a ping-pong ball getting bounced around. 

Ice Armor has wet ice, which is supposed to be status protection. But, at lower levels, it's not that great, around 6-7 pts of protection from holds...but I wasn't held, just repelled/pulled. I tried a break-free, but that didn't do anything. 

It mainly annoyed me after the initial amusement. But I'd rather not have to aim for a particular target if I can help it, but rather the center of the group. What's the solution to this problem? Never noticed this from family before, but I'm usually not running /8 on family. 

• Like 2

try turning your difficulty settings lower to reduce their strength, try diff at regular 0 setting with plus 2 0r 3 team...

and yeh if using higher setting treat them like malta sappers, target the bosses first

you'll encounter the same hassles with family bosses in the st martial repeatable event

• Like 1

It's Gravitational Pull that doing this, and it hasn't been around forever.  I think they added it in a few issues ago but I don't remember if it was listed in the patch notes.  I think it was the precursor to the mechanism that is now in Axe Cyclone.

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=pets.singularity.gravitational_pull&at=minion_pets

Repel is a different dynamic than knockback/down, and there is less access to repel resistance/protection.  When you get two or more singy on you at once, you are probably going to get bounced unless you have specific repel resistance or protection.  I know Shield has a lot of this, and it's probably here and there in other places as well.

Break Free and Emerge only give you 50% resistance to Repel; the large or super inspiration will give you 100%.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Who run Bartertown?

44 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

Take out the guy who summoned the Singularity and let it despawn.

This is much easier too since the Singuarity has absurdly high damage resistance to everything.

• Like 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

9 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Take out the Singularity. 

I wanted to go to a cat café, Singularity wanted to go to a disco, we decided not to date.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

You have discovered a singularly annoying issue.  That has been around forever.  Welcome to Redside.  🤣

Yeah Longbow Singularities are worse

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Yeah Longbow Singularities are worse

Actually, all versions of Singularity are the same (including the player version).

18 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

It's Gravitational Pull that doing this, and it hasn't been around forever.  I think they added it in a few issues ago but I don't remember if it was listed in the patch notes.  

It was added to Singularity in I27P2 (3 years ago). Gravitational Pull is an auto-hit PBAoE with a 45 ft radius that pulls you toward the Singularity.  The easiest way to avoid it is to stay at least 45 ft away.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Posted (edited)

Edited to minimize notifications from meleers quoting this and saying "but I can do it".

Anyway if I'm doing family at volume for HPT I turn bosses off.  The same consigliere mobs spawn and summon singularity but lts are defeated significantly quicker than bosses.

Edited by Hedgefund

51 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

One day I might give it a go but I'm guessing a pure meleer can't beat a Singularity, at least without repel protection.  Not just because of the resists but Singularity will pull you in via negative repel until you reach a certain distance then it applies positive repel.  The closer you manage to get the more potent the outward repel becomes.

I kill Singularities all the time with characters that have 7ft range attacks maximum (and lack repel protection).

As far as I can tell, their Repel doesn't work if you're right up in their face. Or maybe they don't activate it there?

If you're further away and get caught in it, there's nonetheless enough lag between each "pulse" you get the chance to close in and hit once.

I won't claim to understand the mechanics, but empirically, it's doable.

14 minutes ago, nihilii said:

I kill Singularities all the time with characters that have 7ft range attacks maximum (and lack repel protection).

As far as I can tell, their Repel doesn't work if you're right up in their face. Or maybe they don't activate it there?

There are two powers at work. Gravitational Pull uses the repel status effect (in reverse) and has an inner radius of 7 ft, so inside of that distance does nothing. Singularity also has the power Repel, which is a 9 ft radius knockback aura (and doesn't use the repel status effect). If you have knockback protection, Repel (the power) won't affect you although you will hear a repeating sfx.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

1 hour ago, Hedgefund said:

One day I might give it a go but I'm guessing a pure meleer can't beat a Singularity, at least without repel protection.

Do it all the time on my SS/Bio brute.

On 5/4/2024 at 12:28 PM, Erratic1 said:

Take out the guy who summoned the Singularity and let it despawn.

My preference is to confuse the Singularity and eat popcorn while is bounces the boss around.

• Haha 3

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

In my case, I just floated around and queued up attacks on the Prima. Eventually, I floated by close enough to knock the first one out. There were two - and they were using my character's body to play ping pong, lol. After I got the first one, the other was no problem. I just hadn't encountered it like this before. I usually just powered through it. Maybe Ice armor is just a little more susceptible at lower levels than other resist armors I generally play. No idea - but they're dead now. 

On 5/5/2024 at 8:24 AM, Uun said:

There are two powers at work. Gravitational Pull uses the repel status effect (in reverse) and has an inner radius of 7 ft, so inside of that distance does nothing. Singularity also has the power Repel, which is a 9 ft radius knockback aura (and doesn't use the repel status effect). If you have knockback protection, Repel (the power) won't affect you although you will hear a repeating sfx.

If the Grav Pull actually worked as advertised, I wouldn't have a big problem with it.  But instead of just pulling you in, it seems to bounce you around like a beach ball, off the walls, off the ceiling, everywhere.  I am thankfully not susceptible to motion sickeness in video games or I'd have to quit any team that went up against these Family bosses if I was playing on a melee toon that didn't have Repel protection.

It's even worse when there are multiple bosses.  And it's EVERY freakin' spawn.  Even without it making me physically ill, I have often considered excusing myself from teams after a few spawns of 2-3 Singularities have played volleyball with me and I've run through all my break-frees. 

Easily the worst change the HC team has made, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Yeah, I ran into the same thing when I was doing the "mess with the Family" location event in St. Martial a while back.

In the building you go into, there can be upwards of 4 bosses, all with singularities. It becomes a massive game of pingpong to see how long you can survive. 

Which, admittedly, can sometimes be incredibly fun and a good test for a build.